Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
ITV2 - Love Island 11:34 - Jun 5 with 10779 viewschristiand

Just putting it out there to see general consensus. A series that reflects all that's wrong with modern society. Youngsters that are all fame hungry, but really have no specific skills to achieve it through talent alone so have to resort to nudity and fumbling around under the covers on national TV to get recognition. Just find it the lowest form of TV, but it gets so much coverage in the media, just believe it sends out the wrong message.

Just me getting old and being a prude?

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

ITV2 - Love Island on 16:23 - Jun 5 with 2650 viewsReuser_is_God

ITV2 - Love Island on 13:03 - Jun 5 by Kieran_Knows

I'll say probably not, and knowing him he won't do it either.

Yes, I accepted that a long while ago.

I will do.

When do they get posted? I might do it the day I get it in the post just to annoy them.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

ITV2 - Love Island on 16:41 - Jun 5 with 2622 viewsjudespiveyg

Never watched it myself, but the fact that I could ask about 50 people in my school year (15 and 16 year olds) about it yet I could only talk to one other guy about how well Ipswich played last match is a depressing thought.
I find the concept of reality TV ridiculous, it's like vlogging on YouTube, it's finding interest in uninteresting people's uninteresting lives yet presumably people find it genuinely interesting.

I survived Ipswich 0-0 Burton

ITV2 - Love Island on 16:50 - Jun 5 with 2602 viewsChondzoresk

Dumb TV for dumb viewers. My missus not interested. I’m certainly not...roll on the World Cup and Wimbledon.
ITV2 - Love Island on 16:52 - Jun 5 with 2596 viewschicoazul

ITV2 - Love Island on 16:50 - Jun 5 by Chondzoresk

Dumb TV for dumb viewers. My missus not interested. I’m certainly not...roll on the World Cup and Wimbledon.

Wimbledon really *is* the pits.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

ITV2 - Love Island on 16:56 - Jun 5 with 2591 viewsSuperfrans

ITV2 - Love Island on 12:49 - Jun 5 by J2BLUE

If you surrender the remote when the world cup is on so they can watch Love Island I will lose all respect for you.

We have two TVs. No problem...
They're getting the smaller telly.

;-)

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

ITV2 - Love Island on 16:58 - Jun 5 with 2588 viewsSuperfrans

ITV2 - Love Island on 13:04 - Jun 5 by unstableblue

I’ve only ever watched brief clips.

It’s gets huge media coverage, including more traditional channels, and gains popularity and ratings as a result.

I’m sure many watch as a guilty pleasure or watch in an ‘ironic’ way.

But absolutely agree it is fame and adoration based on zero talent! And it seems very wrong to make people successful as a result. We should reward people for endeavour or talent.

Having said all that society has always lauded ‘good looking’ people, and the generation coming through see use of social media and vacuous behaviour as a talent in itself. I’m sure our parents saw the young ones, punk and early dance music as puerile...

The smart phone and social media is playing a huge role in shaping the next generation

For a lot of teenagers it's absolutely essential, water cooler telly. It's the thing they talk about the next day at school.

Also, of course, in our day, we would rebel against our parents by listening to music too loud. Kids of today seem to rebel by watching the most god awful television, whether it's mindless YouTube rubbish, Love Island or RuPaul's Drag Race... on repeat...

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

ITV2 - Love Island on 17:08 - Jun 5 with 2568 viewsDanFord

ITV2 - Love Island on 16:58 - Jun 5 by Superfrans

For a lot of teenagers it's absolutely essential, water cooler telly. It's the thing they talk about the next day at school.

Also, of course, in our day, we would rebel against our parents by listening to music too loud. Kids of today seem to rebel by watching the most god awful television, whether it's mindless YouTube rubbish, Love Island or RuPaul's Drag Race... on repeat...

Lots of people on this thread though seem to be missing the point. We listened to music too loud. It annoyed our parents. It probably didn't damage our ears because it wasn't loud enough, but it was loud enough to be annoying. Some of our friends probably went home and played their records a bit louder. Annoying. But not even to entirely strip away all of the other manners and morals we were brought up with. Being on a football message board all day doesn't hurt anyone either. The danger with things like Love Island is teaching a generation of impressionable young people and adults that you have to look a certain way to be worth anything, that you have to behave a certain way, that love is basically just being thrown into bed with a fit stranger, that you can lie, cheat, deceive and sleep around and that you can be famous and idolised not for talent, or ground breaking science or a lasting legacy on the world, but for being easy and giving it to some other random easy person on TV. That's what kids are growing up to think is acceptable in society. Geordie Shore, TOWIE, all of that has made millionaires of people with no talent at all apart from getting drunk, sleeping around and gobbing off. So whilst it's each to their own, me stamp collecting or train spotting has no real impact on the world. These shows, combined with social media, are making kids, at the point they are deciding what to do in the world, are essentially promoting most of the things that are wrong with the world and will do it significant long term harm.

Poll: Would you be willing to consider a new club crest?

ITV2 - Love Island on 17:12 - Jun 5 with 2559 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

This thread is so TWTD

Poll: Would you take a draw tonight if offered right now?

Login to get fewer ads

ITV2 - Love Island on 17:16 - Jun 5 with 2553 viewschicoazul

ITV2 - Love Island on 17:08 - Jun 5 by DanFord

Lots of people on this thread though seem to be missing the point. We listened to music too loud. It annoyed our parents. It probably didn't damage our ears because it wasn't loud enough, but it was loud enough to be annoying. Some of our friends probably went home and played their records a bit louder. Annoying. But not even to entirely strip away all of the other manners and morals we were brought up with. Being on a football message board all day doesn't hurt anyone either. The danger with things like Love Island is teaching a generation of impressionable young people and adults that you have to look a certain way to be worth anything, that you have to behave a certain way, that love is basically just being thrown into bed with a fit stranger, that you can lie, cheat, deceive and sleep around and that you can be famous and idolised not for talent, or ground breaking science or a lasting legacy on the world, but for being easy and giving it to some other random easy person on TV. That's what kids are growing up to think is acceptable in society. Geordie Shore, TOWIE, all of that has made millionaires of people with no talent at all apart from getting drunk, sleeping around and gobbing off. So whilst it's each to their own, me stamp collecting or train spotting has no real impact on the world. These shows, combined with social media, are making kids, at the point they are deciding what to do in the world, are essentially promoting most of the things that are wrong with the world and will do it significant long term harm.

People have been saying the exact same thing since Elvis was on the Ed Sullivan show.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!

ITV2 - Love Island on 17:17 - Jun 5 with 2552 viewsChondzoresk

ITV2 - Love Island on 16:58 - Jun 5 by Superfrans

Not at my school they don’t. They spend most of the time in deep conversation about the latest ridiculous snap chat filters.
ITV2 - Love Island on 17:21 - Jun 5 with 2550 viewsvapour_trail

ITV2 - Love Island on 16:52 - Jun 5 by chicoazul

Wimbledon really *is* the pits.

Come on Tim.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

ITV2 - Love Island on 17:23 - Jun 5 with 2546 viewschicoazul

ITV2 - Love Island on 17:21 - Jun 5 by vapour_trail

Come on Tim.

Top 5 most Tory sports;

Tennis
Cricket
Rowing
Rugby
Tough Mudder
[Post edited 5 Jun 2018 17:23]

ITV2 - Love Island on 17:46 - Jun 5 with 2525 viewsDropCliffsNotBombs

ITV2 - Love Island on 12:24 - Jun 5 by The_Romford_Blue

Live and let live.

Plenty of people like myself enjoy it.

It’s really not aimed at anyone over the 27/28 tbh

you missed out ...'with an IQ of...' in the middle of your last sentence.
ITV2 - Love Island on 17:52 - Jun 5 with 2517 viewsDanTheMan

From my limited understanding of it, it's just drama. And people, especially young people, like drama. Doesn't really matter what format the drama is in.

Honestly if *everything* that is wrong with modern society is a few scantily clad people having an argument on the telly, then society must be nearly perfect as it's a very minor issue.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

ITV2 - Love Island on 17:57 - Jun 5 with 2510 viewsChondzoresk

ITV2 - Love Island on 17:23 - Jun 5 by chicoazul

Top 5 most Tory sports;

Tennis
Cricket
Rowing
Rugby
Tough Mudder
[Post edited 5 Jun 2018 17:23]

I love them all. All sport.
ITV2 - Love Island on 18:02 - Jun 5 with 2505 viewsGeoffSentence

You are completely wrong I am afraid. It is a clever and entertaining way of demonstrating the economics of scarce resources. I can't claim this insight as my own, it was discussed in the Telegraph today, I would post the link but it is behind the pay wall.

Here is a snippet of the analysis for those who are intersted

"Adam could snatch off their partners and they were working hard to woo their girls so they would give Adam a cold shoulder. This is exactly what economic theory predicts: when the two sides from the matching market are unequal, the larger side (the boys) loses all its bargaining power. "

So,no, it is not dumbed down nonsense at all, it is a perfect demonstration of economics. With hot people in swimwear.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

ITV2 - Love Island on 09:42 - Jun 6 with 2368 viewsTractorJack

ITV2 - Love Island on 17:08 - Jun 5 by DanFord

Teenagers will have a naive view of love regardless of whether they watch Love Island or not. I'd agree that social media probably causes self esteem issues for some but you're vastly overstating the societal impact imo. People watch it for bants.
ITV2 - Love Island on 09:56 - Jun 6 with 2351 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

ITV2 - Love Island on 16:07 - Jun 5 by Ftnfwest

too true, although as a third of that audience is clinically obese, you'd think a 'reality' show might represent them a bit

I’d actually love for them to make a Love Island: Rochdale edition, or similar

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

ITV2 - Love Island on 14:01 - Jun 6 with 2314 viewsBrixtonBlue

ITV2 - Love Island on 18:02 - Jun 5 by GeoffSentence

You are completely wrong I am afraid. It is a clever and entertaining way of demonstrating the economics of scarce resources. I can't claim this insight as my own, it was discussed in the Telegraph today, I would post the link but it is behind the pay wall.

Here is a snippet of the analysis for those who are intersted

"Adam could snatch off their partners and they were working hard to woo their girls so they would give Adam a cold shoulder. This is exactly what economic theory predicts: when the two sides from the matching market are unequal, the larger side (the boys) loses all its bargaining power. "

So,no, it is not dumbed down nonsense at all, it is a perfect demonstration of economics. With hot people in swimwear.

Hahahaha.

I'm sure the empty-heads watching were thinking what a great demonstration of economics it was.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

ITV2 - Love Island on 14:03 - Jun 6 with 2314 viewsMJallday

what is a love island?

is it that place where Paddy Mcguiness sends those orange people to on a saturday?

Stilton eating Participant - 1977 to Present Day
Poll: Will you be renewing if you are an existing ST Holder - given todays news?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024