Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Private Car Leasing 17:22 - Feb 11 with 6604 viewsBlueToad

Hello all,

Does anyone on here have experience of private car leasing ?

Just been told my old faithful family estate is beyond economical repair and I need an estate or 4x4 type vehicle and was wondering whether leasing one might be an option.

Any advice well received.

Cheers

{edit: added an "s" to leasing and took an "e" off car!]
[Post edited 11 Feb 2018 19:48]

Poll: Where are we now with Lambert In vs. Out ?

Private Car Leasing on 17:25 - Feb 11 with 6589 viewsPendejo

Different things work for different people...

Leasing PCP etc. are good if your mileage is under 10,000 PA and you have a sufficient budget.
I had looked at this but my mileage is consistently over 12,000 and it appears uneconomical to me.

Given that new car sales are falling you may be able to find a good new or nearly new bargain.

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Private Care Leaing on 17:42 - Feb 11 with 6561 viewsDurovigutum

O leased on a four year deal two years ago. First lease having done every other method (I think) prior.

Works really well for me as much of my mileage is for work and therefore charged back at 45p for the first 10k. 1+47 lease at £240 a month for a car with a list price of £24,000 plus £200 for 4th year warranty and £300 for 4 years servicing. 12p a mile over the 40,000 four year agreement. Key is deal, saw a Elite Astra on a two year 10k pa deal at £199 a month no deposit recently, ultimate"use it and forget it" deal.
Private Care Leaing on 19:35 - Feb 11 with 6480 viewsconnorscontract

I've used FVL First Vehicle Leasing and they were very efficient and clear. They sometimes have amazing deals when they've picked up excess stock of a particular model. If you are flexible there are amazing bargains to be had.

If you decide not to go the leasing route I can recommend mortorpoint. On their search function you can filter for mileage and age. I was able to get a delivery mileage (but dealer registered) car for 40% off list price because they had just bought a chunk of them from the brands finance company. The majority of their stock is less than 2 years old.

If you can wait for what you want, or are able to browse with an open mind, either approach is great.
Private Care Leasing on 19:47 - Feb 11 with 6463 viewsBlueToad

Thanks guys.

Definitely 10k miles or less - family car use only really.

Happy to pay 200-250 pcm for a deal with maintenance.

Was wondering what the pitfalls/caveats might be considering you're driving someone elses car at the end of the day!

Private Care Leaing on 19:49 - Feb 11 with 6456 viewsleftback

I think it’s awesome, I found the cheapest deal online and went local Volkswagen dealership and they pretty much matched it. I worked out what I had my old car had cost me for the 4 years I owned it (depreciation and maintenance) and leasing is not going to be much more expensive and you get to drive a brand new car!
Private Car Leasing on 20:27 - Feb 11 with 6405 viewsFoD_Blue

I am two years through a three year lease deal on my current car. My mileage allowance is 12500 per year, and the penalty for going over that is around 4p per mile, so only £40 for each 1000 miles over the allowance.
I am paying £180 a month for a Hyundai i30 (1 month deposit).

I have recently changed job, and I now live within cycling distance of work, so my need for the car is massively reduced. Therefore when the renewal is due, I will not be renewing. But if I was still in the position of needing a car to commute, then I would 100% be entering into another lease deal.

Lings Cars are well worth a look for an idea of what's available, they have a vast amount of deals (if your eyes can stand their website). Or it's worth having a look on Hot UK Deals where people often discuss lease deals.
Private Care Leasing on 20:36 - Feb 11 with 6385 viewsDeano69

Private Care Leasing on 19:47 - Feb 11 by BlueToad

Thanks guys.

Definitely 10k miles or less - family car use only really.

Happy to pay 200-250 pcm for a deal with maintenance.

Was wondering what the pitfalls/caveats might be considering you're driving someone elses car at the end of the day!

Just ordered a Seat Leon Estate for one of the guys at work. Ours is contract hire but the deals are often the same think it was £211+vat inc maintenance and tyres for 3+35 months. 60+ to the gallon and low emissions. Petrol turbo thingy.

Poll: What view setting do you use for TWTD

Private Car Leasing on 21:03 - Feb 11 with 6335 viewsBlueToad

Private Car Leasing on 20:27 - Feb 11 by FoD_Blue

I am two years through a three year lease deal on my current car. My mileage allowance is 12500 per year, and the penalty for going over that is around 4p per mile, so only £40 for each 1000 miles over the allowance.
I am paying £180 a month for a Hyundai i30 (1 month deposit).

I have recently changed job, and I now live within cycling distance of work, so my need for the car is massively reduced. Therefore when the renewal is due, I will not be renewing. But if I was still in the position of needing a car to commute, then I would 100% be entering into another lease deal.

Lings Cars are well worth a look for an idea of what's available, they have a vast amount of deals (if your eyes can stand their website). Or it's worth having a look on Hot UK Deals where people often discuss lease deals.

Thanks FoD

I checked Lings out - I'm still seeing flashing burn-in on my retinas - but I thought their prices were really high compared to others.
[Post edited 11 Feb 2018 21:04]

Login to get fewer ads

Private Car Leasing on 22:17 - Feb 11 with 6264 viewsbuoyant

Had a look at private leasing when I was looking to change my van.

I did the maths and went? What? Are you taking the piss? Large deposit, 200 quid a month deposit, mileage penalties, you still have to pay for wear and tear, damage repair, insurance and it's never yours...

If you've got the capital buy a decent second hand vehicle. I don't understand leasing at all. Seems like money down the drain to me

UTT

Private Car Leasing on 00:34 - Feb 12 with 6169 viewsFreddies_Ears

I have a Ford Mondeo on a personal lease (not a PCP), and it is working really well. All maintenance is included, plus even car tax. I do have to get a bit of paperwork sorted to go abroad but that is handled very efficiently, and Europe-wide breakdown is included free. I'd do it again for sure.
Private Car Leasing on 08:09 - Feb 12 with 6044 viewsjustyn_c_uk

I've been doing personal leases for 5 years and they work really well for me. I do just over 20k miles per annum and this is as close as I can get to fixed price motoring (inc. maintenance & tyres) without having to take the hit of depreciation on the vehicle.

I have had two Skoda's (an Octavia estate and a Superb) from Nationwide Vehicle Contracts and it has been very easy. The market is very brand driven, similar Audis and Skodas will be very different prices, choose carefully and if you are not that bothered look for the monthly deals or last years model. You need to decide how many payments you can put upfront to lower the monthly fee (it's not a deposit), 3 months tends to be enough.

You also need to make sure that you know what the return conditions are, in terms of paint condition, scratches and alloy conditions. Scuffed alloys are one of the main things they will bill for if you don't look after the vehicle.

Hope that helps.
Private Car Leasing on 09:15 - Feb 12 with 5987 viewsYaffle

Hi, I've been privately leasing for years and would never buy a another car.

My advice is to look for the deal not the car. There are some amazing offers out there. I currently have an A4 TFSI Avant that I pay £200 per month for (no deposit) so it will have cost me £4800 over 2 years when it goes back. I also have an A5 Convertible on order to replace it at £188 per month (6 + 23) which for a £40k car I'm pretty happy with 😊 You have to move quickly for those kind of deals, there were only 15 cars available on that deal. There have been some other great deals recently and at this time of year there is often plenty of dealer or manufacturer support.

What Car lease deals and Contract Hire and Leasing are good resources and there is an ongoing thread on Piston Heads where some of the deals get discussed. https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=255&t=1713219&i=3360

Wouldn't bother with a maintenance contract, most modern cars have huge service intervals (A4 hasn't required a service yet) so unlikely to be value for money and the comments above about returning in good condition are important otherwise you'll get hammered. There is a guide from the BVLA that explains what is acceptable.

Good luck.
Private Car Leasing on 13:50 - Feb 12 with 5867 viewsconnorscontract

Private Car Leasing on 22:17 - Feb 11 by buoyant

Had a look at private leasing when I was looking to change my van.

I did the maths and went? What? Are you taking the piss? Large deposit, 200 quid a month deposit, mileage penalties, you still have to pay for wear and tear, damage repair, insurance and it's never yours...

If you've got the capital buy a decent second hand vehicle. I don't understand leasing at all. Seems like money down the drain to me

If you're happy with nearly new and are going to keep it for 5 years+, then finding the best possible deal and buying makes sense.

If you want a new car and change every two or three years, then finding the best possible deal and leasing makes sense.

Between 3 and 5 years I think it is much more up for debate and would come down to the maths. The key thing is depreciation: buying a pre-reg dealership overstock or ex-demo makes a lot of sense as much of the depreciation is taken out of the equation.

Where the big leasing companies can make it work is that they can take over-stock of less popular colours or trim options off the hands of the manufacturers importing UK arm. If you're not so fussy they may have already made a cracking deal and are happy to take their regulation percentage which still leaves you with a better deal than you could have negotiated from a dealer. The same is also true for Car Supermarkets like Motorpoint, who I mentioned above, if you want to buy.
Private Car Leasing on 21:12 - Feb 12 with 5752 viewsBanburyBlue

Don't do it! I did it with Audi and regretted it within 6 months, for sure you need to always be able to keep up the payments and if you cant for whatever reason you are stuck with it until the end, I was particularly unimpressed with Audi and my car was also on the emissions list, maybe I was just unlucky!

Banbury Blue Back in Town

Private Car Leasing on 07:10 - Jul 19 with 1180 viewsmac9

I do have experience with private car leasing, and I understand your situation. It's tough when your old reliable family car reaches a point where repairing it is no longer economical. Considering that you need an estate or a 4x4 type vehicle, leasing might indeed be a viable option for you.

Leasing can offer some benefits as you can get details at https://carvine.co.uk/car-finance-vs-car-leasing/ like getting a newer car without the commitment of buying it outright. It often comes with lower monthly payments compared to buying, and you can enjoy driving a new vehicle every few years. However, it's essential to carefully consider the terms of the lease and understand the mileage limits and any potential additional costs.

If you decide to go the leasing route, make sure to shop around and compare different offers from various leasing companies. Read the fine print and ask questions to ensure you fully understand the terms and conditions.

Remember, leasing may not be for everyone, so it's crucial to weigh your options and see if it fits your current financial situation and driving needs. Whatever you decide, I hope you find the perfect car that suits your requirements!
Private Car Leasing on 07:50 - Jul 19 with 1113 viewsYallop2

Yep got a good deal on a hyundai tucson. Try leaseloco for a good compare the market
Private Car Leasing on 08:25 - Jul 19 with 1061 viewsElephantintheRoom

Depends entirely on your personal circumstances. There is a certain peace of mind with all the maintenance taken care of if you crave a regular new car. On the negative side you will find any minor scratches ruinously expensive - and mileage can be an issue. and at the end of your deal you are trapped without a car - having effectively paid for the depreciation without benefit of ownership.

If you have kids and a dog I’d strongly recommend buying an estate car and keeping it for 10 years.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Private Car Leasing on 08:46 - Jul 19 with 1010 viewsSparky85

I have leased via Volvo and currently on PCP with BMW. Both good experiences. I have been well looked after by both and I have to give BMW credit as they speak to me probably once a quarter to see if I want to upgrade early. I know they are all on targets but I haven't found any of them to be pushy about it. They just let me know what is available and at what price.

All I will say is if you go down either route (Lease or PCP), negotiate in the full maintenance package. In most cases I think, you need to go through the manufacturer to get services/MOT's done and there is very little price negotiation. So I rather spread the cost monthly and avoid the big hits. They are also quite strict when you return the car as to what condition it needs to be in.

As you have already said to others, with your mileage likely under 10k you should find some good deals. Have a look on Select Car Leasing as you can select your budget without specifying make/model and it will show you what is in your price range.

Good luck!
Private Car Leasing on 10:11 - Jul 19 with 920 viewsBent_double

I'm half way through my 3 year lease on a Corsa already, so far, so good.

I probably over-estimated my mileage requirements (8k a year), as I've only done 6k, but better that than going over I suppose. I will contact them soon and see if I can negoiate a bit of a discount as I clearly won't get near 24k when I hand it back.

I pay the local Vauxhall dealership for an annual service, as you need to keep a FSH on the vehicle, than pushes the price to just over 200pm.

Bit worried about what happens when I return the car in terms of minor marks, scratches, etc incase they charge me a silly amount to repair them - assuming they are reasonable, I certainly wouldn't hesitate to lease again.

Poll: So what do we think will happen with MM and the Aston Villa job?

Private Car Leasing on 10:21 - Jul 19 with 893 viewsSwansea_Blue

Private Car Leasing on 10:11 - Jul 19 by Bent_double

I'm half way through my 3 year lease on a Corsa already, so far, so good.

I probably over-estimated my mileage requirements (8k a year), as I've only done 6k, but better that than going over I suppose. I will contact them soon and see if I can negoiate a bit of a discount as I clearly won't get near 24k when I hand it back.

I pay the local Vauxhall dealership for an annual service, as you need to keep a FSH on the vehicle, than pushes the price to just over 200pm.

Bit worried about what happens when I return the car in terms of minor marks, scratches, etc incase they charge me a silly amount to repair them - assuming they are reasonable, I certainly wouldn't hesitate to lease again.

"minor marks, scratches, etc"...

...B_D returning the car:

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024