Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Making sense of the world and the economy 16:37 - Jul 18 with 1142 viewsDarth_Koont

Fascinating and insightful discussion between Steven Levitt of Freakonomics fame and Robert Solow the 98-year-old macroeconomist.

I’ve listened to this three times now. There’s so much to admire in Solow’s insights and world view — not just because he’s kind, moral and smart but also because he’s able to put everything in a near century-long context. And yet also show a more modern and progressive outlook that puts our current political leaders to shame.

https://freakonomics.com/podcast/ninety-eight-years-of-economic-wisdom/

Anyway, fill your boots if you’d like some blissful non-ignorance.

Pronouns: He/Him

Making sense of the world and the economy on 17:37 - Jul 18 with 1042 viewsDJR

Thanks for the link.

EDIT: I've just read the transcript which is fascinating. I hope I'm as mentally alert when I'm 98!
[Post edited 18 Jul 2023 17:54]
Making sense of the world and the economy on 18:15 - Jul 18 with 997 viewsDarth_Koont

Making sense of the world and the economy on 17:37 - Jul 18 by DJR

Thanks for the link.

EDIT: I've just read the transcript which is fascinating. I hope I'm as mentally alert when I'm 98!
[Post edited 18 Jul 2023 17:54]

Yeah, I should have mentioned there’s a full transcript if people want to read instead.

Agreed re: his mental alertness. His brain would be very sharp and lively at any age but at 98 it’s pretty remarkable.

Making sense of the world and the economy on 19:27 - Jul 18 with 930 viewsEwan_Oozami

Yep, agree with everything Solow said there - and there was a hint of why our modern politician are the way they are because they listen more to the economists who favour the economics of the personal (because that suits their agenda), rather than the societal (which doesn't)....

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

Making sense of the world and the economy on 23:23 - Jul 18 with 790 viewsTalkingBlues

Amazing for 98 years old and agree with what you say, he has a fantastically complete view of life and how aspects of life intertwine and affect others, remarkable man.
[Post edited 18 Jul 2023 23:32]

Poll: Is it wrong to take more pleasure from seeing Germany lose, than England win

Making sense of the world and the economy on 07:44 - Jul 19 with 702 viewsNthQldITFC

Thanks for that, very interesting.

The line that I think best summarises his view, and is the reason we (incredibly) adhere to a suicidal growth-obsessed dogma is: 'In our case, what we have done is decided not to measure certain things.'

It always makes me think of the Emperor's New Clothes; why the hell can't we recognise what we're doing to ourselves?

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Making sense of the world and the economy on 09:48 - Jul 19 with 630 viewsDarth_Koont

Making sense of the world and the economy on 07:44 - Jul 19 by NthQldITFC

Thanks for that, very interesting.

The line that I think best summarises his view, and is the reason we (incredibly) adhere to a suicidal growth-obsessed dogma is: 'In our case, what we have done is decided not to measure certain things.'

It always makes me think of the Emperor's New Clothes; why the hell can't we recognise what we're doing to ourselves?

Indeed.

It’s painfully apparent in the political debates we see in the media, on social media and on here, that understanding problems and looking at solutions empirically just isn’t on the agenda.

Politics is one of the few areas in modern life that’s still driven by the people on Mount Stupid (for the Dunning-Kruger fans). But it’s more important to know what you’re doing here than in probably any other field, given the consequences affecting billions of lives.

I certainly think that’s the big disconnect between climate science and political action. We’re trying to shift faith and ignorance using science. And everything points to that taking too long for not a big enough shift.
[Post edited 19 Jul 2023 9:58]

Making sense of the world and the economy on 10:09 - Jul 19 with 598 viewsNthQldITFC

Making sense of the world and the economy on 09:48 - Jul 19 by Darth_Koont

Indeed.

It’s painfully apparent in the political debates we see in the media, on social media and on here, that understanding problems and looking at solutions empirically just isn’t on the agenda.

Politics is one of the few areas in modern life that’s still driven by the people on Mount Stupid (for the Dunning-Kruger fans). But it’s more important to know what you’re doing here than in probably any other field, given the consequences affecting billions of lives.

I certainly think that’s the big disconnect between climate science and political action. We’re trying to shift faith and ignorance using science. And everything points to that taking too long for not a big enough shift.
[Post edited 19 Jul 2023 9:58]

...which is why I keep propounding the idea of a celebrity-led political party, as crazy as it sounds (to me too).

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024