Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Do Palace still have cheerleaders? 08:52 - Feb 2 with 17048 viewsGeoffSentence

Or have they already lost their jobs?

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Do Palace still have cheerleaders? on 14:01 - Feb 6 with 3246 viewsFrowsyArmLarry

Do Palace still have cheerleaders? on 10:18 - Feb 2 by textbackup

The ugly girls have really got a bee in bonnet over all this

and don’t forget the men who’ve never had a half decent looking woman without paying for it
Do Palace still have cheerleaders? on 14:31 - Feb 6 with 3212 viewsRadlett_blue

Do Palace still have cheerleaders? on 23:00 - Feb 2 by Seablu

Unless they're relegated I shan't be able to judge. I turned up late and missed them last September.

The Crystals are about the only good thing about a visit to Selhurst Park, especially if you are a Town fan.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Do Palace still have cheerleaders? on 15:18 - Feb 6 with 3181 viewstractorshark

Do Palace still have cheerleaders? on 12:38 - Feb 6 by King_of_Portman_Rd

When I laid an accusation at the way the media has covered this story it is due to the way discussions have been led and facilitated.

Listening t'radio other day they had a phone in and they were making statements like "what about cheerleaders" - Well that is a leap to jump from grid girls to something completely different which I believe is clouding peoples views. No one has said Cheerleaders are to be banned, nor are they in any way relevant to 'window dressing & purely for titillation'

Also in that discussion was some berk calling people 'snowflakes' and making claims that Diving, Gymnastics and Beach Volleyball will all have to be banned then due to the nature of their dress code etc. Unfortunately this wasn't killed stone dead as an idiotic statement so naturally discussion continued along those lines and I've heard similar statements across other platforms.

These "SPORTS" have a set dress code set by the world governing body (rightly or wrongly) that is the case.. But for pillocks to now jump to wild conclusions purely on conjecture have fanned the flames for people to be ever more misinformed and further away from the topic that was originally highlighted.

I agree this isn't a completely black and white topic, but some of the content that is being included in the debate isn't relevant in any way.
[Post edited 6 Feb 2018 12:39]

I don’t disagree with most of that.
I agree cheerleaders perform a different role, although American teams/franchises are still using them to promote their brand with glitz and glamour. And there’s nothing particularly sexist in that, in my opinion, as long as no one is being exploited.
You can’t fight human behaviour or the laws of attraction. Let’s be honest, some girls will want to be them, most men will want to date them.
My only issue with the whole grid girl thing is it has just encouraged another social media clamour from those who are morally offended by everything.
Ban this, don’t do that, stop buying this, boycott that...it’s tiresome and not healthy for a democratic society.
By all means argue or debate but don’t banish because something doesn’t conform to a certain view.
I don’t like Katie Hopkins or Tommy Robinson. They may garner sympathy and agreement from some but I will never agree with their views.
But should they be banished or muted? Tempting as it is, no. They should certainly be punished if they act illegally but to censor is a very dangerous path.
I just choose to ignore them. And that’s my point. Choice is everything.
Dislike Katie Hopkins, enjoy beach volleyball, hate McCarthy’s hoofball, be a grid girl...the choice is down to the individual.
Do Palace still have cheerleaders? on 19:27 - Feb 6 with 3145 viewsBrixtonBlue

Do Palace still have cheerleaders? on 13:08 - Feb 6 by monytowbray

I find it odd how so many men aren't bothered about feminism when it comes to the gender pay gap, male-bias legal system for rape/abuse and the general harassment women face from how they look.

Yet the minute a sport decides something is in bad taste they are their straight away to defend the women on the grounds of losing a job and their freedoms.

I learned a very tough lesson over the last couple of years, that despite thinking I was pro feminist, I was making two mistakes.

The first was as I am male I have no right to tell women what to think or how to feel. This matter of women in sport should be down to women to discuss - it doesn't affect men we will simply never understand it.

The second was I simply wasn't doing enough and I was being too dismissive. "It can't be THAT bad surely" I used to say. It wasn't until I really started paying attention to the sort of things men think it is acceptable to say and do to women in public and in private that I saw how grim it was. Too many men view women as property or as objects of pleasure. Until we get past this and learn how to behave, I firmly believe women are well within their right to take away the nice things.

I think my GF said it best when I asked for her opinion - "Talk to me about it when female athletes and sport personalities get the same respect and pay as the male ones." Can't argue with that.

Excellent post callis, although I believe everyone can have an opinion on this (not just women). Everyone who is human has a right to say how other humans are portrayed, IMO.

That's not telling anyone how they should think or feel, it's just having an opinion on what's best.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Do Palace still have cheerleaders? on 19:47 - Feb 6 with 3132 viewsGlasgowBlue

Do Palace still have cheerleaders? on 19:27 - Feb 6 by BrixtonBlue

Excellent post callis, although I believe everyone can have an opinion on this (not just women). Everyone who is human has a right to say how other humans are portrayed, IMO.

That's not telling anyone how they should think or feel, it's just having an opinion on what's best.

I think there are some who can’t deal with the fact that women can have breasts and brains at the same time and have the freedom to chose which of those assets they wish to use to gain employment at a particular time of their lives.

It isn't up to men to decide what is "best" for them. It is up to the women themselves.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Do Palace still have cheerleaders? on 20:06 - Feb 6 with 3123 viewsBrixtonBlue

Do Palace still have cheerleaders? on 19:47 - Feb 6 by GlasgowBlue

I think there are some who can’t deal with the fact that women can have breasts and brains at the same time and have the freedom to chose which of those assets they wish to use to gain employment at a particular time of their lives.

It isn't up to men to decide what is "best" for them. It is up to the women themselves.

You're quite right in your first bit. I would happily put myself in that camp. I reckon it's for the best, overall, in the long term, for women, if they didn't do jobs like this.

It's just my opinion though. I'm not deciding anything for anyone.

Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Do Palace still have cheerleaders? on 22:53 - Feb 6 with 3098 viewsBLUEBEAT

Do the cheerleaders perform at the Crystal Palace Ladies matches? 🤸🏼‍♀️🤸‍♀️🤸🏽‍♀️🤸🏿‍♀️🤸🏻‍♀️

Poll: W or W

Do Palace still have cheerleaders? on 23:02 - Feb 6 with 3087 viewsRadlett_blue

Do Palace still have cheerleaders? on 22:53 - Feb 6 by BLUEBEAT

Do the cheerleaders perform at the Crystal Palace Ladies matches? 🤸🏼‍♀️🤸‍♀️🤸🏽‍♀️🤸🏿‍♀️🤸🏻‍♀️

They'd probably double the crowd if they did.

Login to get fewer ads

Do Palace still have cheerleaders? on 00:15 - Feb 7 with 3059 viewsjaykay

i dont think they have been banned . a chance for the girls to travel,well most of the grid girls in the singapore F1 looked to me they were local. not sure if they had grid girls in the middle east F1.

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

Do Palace still have cheerleaders? on 07:09 - Feb 7 with 3030 viewsGlasgowBlue

Do Palace still have cheerleaders? on 00:15 - Feb 7 by jaykay

i dont think they have been banned . a chance for the girls to travel,well most of the grid girls in the singapore F1 looked to me they were local. not sure if they had grid girls in the middle east F1.

What distinguishing features did the grid girls have that lead you to conclude that they were local?

All those Far East girls look the same eh?

Iron Lion Zion

Do Palace still have cheerleaders? on 09:27 - Feb 7 with 3008 viewsGlasgowBlue

Do Palace still have cheerleaders? on 20:06 - Feb 6 by BrixtonBlue

You're quite right in your first bit. I would happily put myself in that camp. I reckon it's for the best, overall, in the long term, for women, if they didn't do jobs like this.

It's just my opinion though. I'm not deciding anything for anyone.

As somebody who works in advertising what is your view on this ad being banned on account that it it objectified women and was socially irresponsible?

Iron Lion Zion

Do Palace still have cheerleaders? on 09:38 - Feb 7 with 2996 viewsitfcjoe

Do Palace still have cheerleaders? on 13:08 - Feb 6 by monytowbray

I find it odd how so many men aren't bothered about feminism when it comes to the gender pay gap, male-bias legal system for rape/abuse and the general harassment women face from how they look.

Yet the minute a sport decides something is in bad taste they are their straight away to defend the women on the grounds of losing a job and their freedoms.

I learned a very tough lesson over the last couple of years, that despite thinking I was pro feminist, I was making two mistakes.

The first was as I am male I have no right to tell women what to think or how to feel. This matter of women in sport should be down to women to discuss - it doesn't affect men we will simply never understand it.

The second was I simply wasn't doing enough and I was being too dismissive. "It can't be THAT bad surely" I used to say. It wasn't until I really started paying attention to the sort of things men think it is acceptable to say and do to women in public and in private that I saw how grim it was. Too many men view women as property or as objects of pleasure. Until we get past this and learn how to behave, I firmly believe women are well within their right to take away the nice things.

I think my GF said it best when I asked for her opinion - "Talk to me about it when female athletes and sport personalities get the same respect and pay as the male ones." Can't argue with that.

"Talk to me about it when female athletes and sport personalities get the same respect and pay as the male ones." Can't argue with that.

Talk to me about it when female athletes and sports personalities put on as much of a spectacle and a show as the male ones and bring in the ticket revenue and sponsorship to match.

If they want true equality lets just ban women's sport and make all sports unisex and see how many make it to the upper levels of the sport and the upper earnings.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Do Palace still have cheerleaders? on 09:43 - Feb 7 with 2986 viewsGlasgowBlue

Do Palace still have cheerleaders? on 09:38 - Feb 7 by itfcjoe

"Talk to me about it when female athletes and sport personalities get the same respect and pay as the male ones." Can't argue with that.

Talk to me about it when female athletes and sports personalities put on as much of a spectacle and a show as the male ones and bring in the ticket revenue and sponsorship to match.

If they want true equality lets just ban women's sport and make all sports unisex and see how many make it to the upper levels of the sport and the upper earnings.

I completely agree with you on this point Joe. If the women's tennis drew in as much revenue as the men's game then they would be paid accordingly.

They are not paid less than the men because they are women. They are paid less than the men because they aren't as good.

I would imagine Venus Williams is paid considerably more than a low ranking male tennis player.

Iron Lion Zion

Do Palace still have cheerleaders? on 09:44 - Feb 7 with 2984 viewsBrixtonBlue

Do Palace still have cheerleaders? on 09:27 - Feb 7 by GlasgowBlue

As somebody who works in advertising what is your view on this ad being banned on account that it it objectified women and was socially irresponsible?

I don't agree with this being banned. It's a joke about where you put your tea cake and I don't think it objectifies women.

on 09:46 - Feb 7 with 2967 views_

Do Palace still have cheerleaders? on 09:44 - Feb 7 by BrixtonBlue

I don't agree with this being banned. It's a joke about where you put your tea cake and I don't think it objectifies women.

Do Palace still have cheerleaders? on 09:50 - Feb 7 with 2968 viewsGlasgowBlue

Do Palace still have cheerleaders? on 09:44 - Feb 7 by BrixtonBlue

The Advertising Standards Authority said "We considered that although the image was only mildly sexual in nature, when combined with the phrase 'serve up a treat' it had the effect of objectifying women by using a woman's physical features to draw attention to the ad".

So they are saying that a woman's body party was used in a sexual manner to get people to buy tea cakes.

Another point the made was that tennis bore no relevance to the advertised product. That is pretty similar to the argument that was used about scantily clad women at darts.

I take it that's a route that would make advertising very difficult if you can only use things that are relevant to the product.

Iron Lion Zion

on 09:51 - Feb 7 with 2956 views_

Do Palace still have cheerleaders? on 09:50 - Feb 7 by GlasgowBlue

The Advertising Standards Authority said "We considered that although the image was only mildly sexual in nature, when combined with the phrase 'serve up a treat' it had the effect of objectifying women by using a woman's physical features to draw attention to the ad".

So they are saying that a woman's body party was used in a sexual manner to get people to buy tea cakes.

Another point the made was that tennis bore no relevance to the advertised product. That is pretty similar to the argument that was used about scantily clad women at darts.

I take it that's a route that would make advertising very difficult if you can only use things that are relevant to the product.

Do Palace still have cheerleaders? on 09:52 - Feb 7 with 2963 viewsitfcjoe

Do Palace still have cheerleaders? on 09:43 - Feb 7 by GlasgowBlue

I completely agree with you on this point Joe. If the women's tennis drew in as much revenue as the men's game then they would be paid accordingly.

They are not paid less than the men because they are women. They are paid less than the men because they aren't as good.

I would imagine Venus Williams is paid considerably more than a low ranking male tennis player.

It doesn't overly bother me, but equating the gender pay gap to sport is just a view of someone who doesn't understand sport and never will.

At Wimbledon last year - Andy Murray won the Men's title and played 23 sets, only dropping 2 sets in the whole tournament, playing 216 games in the process. (9.4 games per set)

Serena Williams won the ladies playing 15 sets, just dropping 1. playing 137 games (9.1 games per set)

Because Williams work load was so low she managed to enter and win the Ladies Doubles tournament so picked up more prize money than Murray in the event.

If you separated the Slam's up into women's and men's then one would be very well supported and attract higher ticket prices, higher sponsorship, bigger TV deals etc but yet the winner of that one gets less.

It doesn't overly bother me, but the argument in the workplace is that women and men do the same job as each other - that isn't the case in sport.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Do Palace still have cheerleaders? on 10:49 - Feb 7 with 2910 viewsBrixtonBlue

Do Palace still have cheerleaders? on 09:50 - Feb 7 by GlasgowBlue

I know you're desperately trying to trip me up as you have nothing better to do with your day and you're in need of some internet validation, but I agree with you that there is nothing wrong with that ad. I didn't read "serve up a treat" like that so I believe the ASA is wrong here. I read it as serve as in tennis.

It's a harmless joke. I don't think it's in any way comparable to scantily clad women parading around at the darts for the titillation of men.

I don't know why you're so desperate to change my opinion. I view the idea of walk-on girls much the same as page 3 girls. They don't particularly offend me I just think they're silly, outdated and do nothing to help women being seen as equals. I don't think that's a particularly crazy view to have either, but if people want to shoot me down for it then fill your boots...

Do Palace still have cheerleaders? on 11:04 - Feb 7 with 2892 viewsLightningboy

Do Palace still have cheerleaders? on 10:04 - Feb 2 by tractorshark

World’s gone mad.
One of the F1 grid girls put something on twitter and the replies were at best extraordinary and at worst frightening.
People telling her the job of a grid girl is not a good example for a young girl. That it would be far more empowering if she was aspiring to be a driver or a race engineer.
Surely it is far more empowering for a girl to be whatever she wants to be without fear of judgement from men or women.
People are saying blame Liberty Media, they made the decision. Well, they’ve kept their cheerleaders at the Atlanta Braves, so it’s not a moral stance.
This is just another reaction to the clamour of a social media mob who like getting offended on behalf of others.
It’s a dangerous path that threatens free thinking and leads to censorship.
If you don’t like something, you don’t have to watch it, read it, eat it or agree with it.
But you don’t have the right to stop it, unless it is illegal.
You may not agree with me and that’s fine. Your views are just as valid as mine.
But I cannot get on board with campaigns that call for things to be banned on the basis it might offend someone.
The saddest thing in all of this is it actually deflects attention from the truly important issues of sexual inequality.

Well said tractorshark...another thing that gets my goat is the way some of these tv channels (gold,yesterday etc) chop 70s & 80s sitcoms to bits..it is what it is,if certain things offend people then don’t watch in future.

Was watching Porridge last night & they cut a line where Fletch originally says “well their sort do” (referring to Lukewarm being gay/keeping the cell tidy).

seriously?!..lot’s of these little lines are being cut here and there that there’ll be nothing left of these programmes in 10 years if these “snowflakes” (as I believe they’re called) carry on chopping the way they are.

Itv2 are just as bad when they re-run the Carry On movies.
Do Palace still have cheerleaders? on 11:13 - Feb 7 with 2880 viewsRadlett_blue

Do Palace still have cheerleaders? on 09:52 - Feb 7 by itfcjoe

It doesn't overly bother me, but equating the gender pay gap to sport is just a view of someone who doesn't understand sport and never will.

At Wimbledon last year - Andy Murray won the Men's title and played 23 sets, only dropping 2 sets in the whole tournament, playing 216 games in the process. (9.4 games per set)

Serena Williams won the ladies playing 15 sets, just dropping 1. playing 137 games (9.1 games per set)

Because Williams work load was so low she managed to enter and win the Ladies Doubles tournament so picked up more prize money than Murray in the event.

If you separated the Slam's up into women's and men's then one would be very well supported and attract higher ticket prices, higher sponsorship, bigger TV deals etc but yet the winner of that one gets less.

It doesn't overly bother me, but the argument in the workplace is that women and men do the same job as each other - that isn't the case in sport.

100% correct. However, the "women should play 5 sets" argument is spurious, as the Centre Court regularly empties when a first week ladies' singles annihilation comes on court. Please don't extend the slaughter.
While some variety makes sense, it would be interesting to see the demand for tickets if the men & women played their singles matches at Wimbledon on alternate days.
I bet the tickets for the Men's Final sell in the real market for many times those of the Ladies' final.

Do Palace still have cheerleaders? on 11:52 - Feb 7 with 2855 viewsGlasgowBlue

Do Palace still have cheerleaders? on 10:49 - Feb 7 by BrixtonBlue

I know you're desperately trying to trip me up as you have nothing better to do with your day and you're in need of some internet validation, but I agree with you that there is nothing wrong with that ad. I didn't read "serve up a treat" like that so I believe the ASA is wrong here. I read it as serve as in tennis.

It's a harmless joke. I don't think it's in any way comparable to scantily clad women parading around at the darts for the titillation of men.

I don't know why you're so desperate to change my opinion. I view the idea of walk-on girls much the same as page 3 girls. They don't particularly offend me I just think they're silly, outdated and do nothing to help women being seen as equals. I don't think that's a particularly crazy view to have either, but if people want to shoot me down for it then fill your boots...

I'm not trying to trip you up, desperately or otherwise. I was interested in you view bearing in mind that you work in the industry and because one of the reasons you objected to the darts girls was scantily dressed girls bore no relation to the sport.

Iron Lion Zion

Do Palace still have cheerleaders? on 12:44 - Feb 7 with 2807 viewsBrixtonBlue

Do Palace still have cheerleaders? on 11:52 - Feb 7 by GlasgowBlue

I'm not trying to trip you up, desperately or otherwise. I was interested in you view bearing in mind that you work in the industry and because one of the reasons you objected to the darts girls was scantily dressed girls bore no relation to the sport.

Fairy nuff. Hope you enjoyed my answer.

Do you reckon Libbers will get bored of down-arrowing everything I post and up-arrowing everything people in opposition to me post?

on 12:48 - Feb 7 with 2797 views_

Do Palace still have cheerleaders? on 12:44 - Feb 7 by BrixtonBlue

Do you reckon Libbers will get bored of down-arrowing everything I post and up-arrowing everything people in opposition to me post?

Do Palace still have cheerleaders? on 12:58 - Feb 7 with 2779 viewsGlasgowBlue

Do Palace still have cheerleaders? on 12:44 - Feb 7 by BrixtonBlue

On the subject of down arrows have you noticed that BigAlHunter who used to follow you around with down arrows has moved onto Benters now.

Iron Lion Zion

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024