Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Do Palace still have cheerleaders? 08:52 - Feb 2 with 17049 viewsGeoffSentence

Or have they already lost their jobs?

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Do Palace still have cheerleaders? on 11:34 - Feb 2 with 4522 viewsBlueBadger

Do Palace still have cheerleaders? on 11:31 - Feb 2 by unbelievablue

That's such an assumption.

Have you seen the blokes who run F1?

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What would be the funniest relegation on Saturday
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Do Palace still have cheerleaders? on 12:18 - Feb 2 with 4502 viewstractorshark

Do Palace still have cheerleaders? on 11:20 - Feb 2 by bluehook

I see that the Express, Mail, Sun, Metro and Star readers are out in force today on here.
Generously giving us all the benefit of their knowledge gleaned from the very fine rags listed above.

And thank you for adding weight to my argument...
The implication being if someone reads one of these newspapers, their view is uninformed and invalid?
Or could it be that it just differs from yours?
I do read one of these papers but I suspect I also read some papers you, I presume, would approve of.
Does that mean I qualify to have an opinion on this board?
I can see the other argument with the grid girls, I understand the notion that it is possibly outdated in the world we live in.
But do I agree with it, no. And I certainly don’t believe it is right to call for a perfectly legal activity to be banned because it supposedly offends a lot of people who don’t watch F1 in the first place.
As for the media’s reporting of the subject, I saw a BBC journalist stating girls could do so much more in F1 than hold a brolly. Maybe so. But this is a journalist working for an organisation currently under investigation for paying men far more than women.
I would suggest a look in the mirror is required before taking the moral high ground.
[Post edited 2 Feb 2018 12:19]
Do Palace still have cheerleaders? on 12:38 - Feb 2 with 4482 viewsSW6Tractor

Do Palace still have cheerleaders? on 10:13 - Feb 2 by unbelievablue

Not at the NFL games I've attended.

NFL have 'Pom' rather than 'Stunt' cheerleaders. Difference broadly is 'Pom' being dancers and 'Stunt' being gymnasts. They have stunt cheer leading crews at College football games and it is seen as a competitive sport.

Don't ask how I know this.
Do Palace still have cheerleaders? on 14:40 - Feb 2 with 4449 viewshoppy

Do Palace still have cheerleaders? on 11:20 - Feb 2 by bluehook

I see that the Express, Mail, Sun, Metro and Star readers are out in force today on here.
Generously giving us all the benefit of their knowledge gleaned from the very fine rags listed above.

Point of order... you're referring to those Sun and Star fans as 'readers'?

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Do Palace still have cheerleaders? on 14:54 - Feb 2 with 4438 viewsKing_of_Portman_Rd

One question I think when discussing these topics:

Can the actual sport carry on without 'Grid Girls' and 'Walk on Girls' ? Which the answer is categorically 'YES' so therefore they are an added extra that do not need to be there.

The fact is the way media have gone about reporting this hasn't helped as it has gone in the opposite direction of 'empowering' women.
Can football carry on..... on 15:01 - Feb 2 with 4425 viewsBloots

Do Palace still have cheerleaders? on 14:54 - Feb 2 by King_of_Portman_Rd

Can the actual sport carry on without 'Grid Girls' and 'Walk on Girls' ? Which the answer is categorically 'YES' so therefore they are an added extra that do not need to be there.

The fact is the way media have gone about reporting this hasn't helped as it has gone in the opposite direction of 'empowering' women.

....without club mascots?

If so then Bluey & Crazee should be sacked immediately.

Plus it's demeaning to horses.

Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Elite Level Human

Can football carry on..... on 15:04 - Feb 2 with 4422 viewsKing_of_Portman_Rd

Can football carry on..... on 15:01 - Feb 2 by Bloots

....without club mascots?

If so then Bluey & Crazee should be sacked immediately.

Plus it's demeaning to horses.

Very different. But well done for making that connection.
Do Palace still have cheerleaders? on 17:04 - Feb 2 with 4382 viewsbraveblue

Do Palace still have cheerleaders? on 10:04 - Feb 2 by tractorshark

World’s gone mad.
One of the F1 grid girls put something on twitter and the replies were at best extraordinary and at worst frightening.
People telling her the job of a grid girl is not a good example for a young girl. That it would be far more empowering if she was aspiring to be a driver or a race engineer.
Surely it is far more empowering for a girl to be whatever she wants to be without fear of judgement from men or women.
People are saying blame Liberty Media, they made the decision. Well, they’ve kept their cheerleaders at the Atlanta Braves, so it’s not a moral stance.
This is just another reaction to the clamour of a social media mob who like getting offended on behalf of others.
It’s a dangerous path that threatens free thinking and leads to censorship.
If you don’t like something, you don’t have to watch it, read it, eat it or agree with it.
But you don’t have the right to stop it, unless it is illegal.
You may not agree with me and that’s fine. Your views are just as valid as mine.
But I cannot get on board with campaigns that call for things to be banned on the basis it might offend someone.
The saddest thing in all of this is it actually deflects attention from the truly important issues of sexual inequality.

Well said
Login to get fewer ads

Do Palace still have cheerleaders? on 17:17 - Feb 2 with 4380 viewsSomethingBlue

The amazing thing about this thread — and others on the topic — is that there are contributors to it who would, without a hint of self-awareness, call *Mick* a dinosaur ...

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Do Palace still have cheerleaders? on 20:21 - Feb 2 with 4312 viewsRyorry

Do Palace still have cheerleaders? on 17:17 - Feb 2 by SomethingBlue

The amazing thing about this thread — and others on the topic — is that there are contributors to it who would, without a hint of self-awareness, call *Mick* a dinosaur ...

Yes, it's the hypocrisy that gets me the most!

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Do Palace still have cheerleaders? on 21:17 - Feb 2 with 4305 viewsBrixtonBlue

Do Palace still have cheerleaders? on 14:40 - Feb 2 by hoppy

Point of order... you're referring to those Sun and Star fans as 'readers'?

I was reading The Sun at the age of 4. That tells you all you need to know about the quality of that 'newspaper'.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Do Palace still have cheerleaders? on 21:31 - Feb 2 with 4295 viewsxrayspecs

Do Palace still have cheerleaders? on 09:53 - Feb 2 by bluelou

Won't somebody think of the grid girls?!

Give it a rest. They are all professional models, these jobs aren't their career.

Parading scantily clad women in front of a bunch of braying men with no purpose other than set dressing reduces them to objects and I don't want my sons to grow up thinking that is totally ok.

Clap clap clap.

Absolutely spot on.

Edit:

My son or my daughter.
[Post edited 2 Feb 2018 21:36]
Do Palace still have cheerleaders? on 21:56 - Feb 2 with 4274 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

Do Palace still have cheerleaders? on 21:17 - Feb 2 by BrixtonBlue

I was reading The Sun at the age of 4. That tells you all you need to know about the quality of that 'newspaper'.

I take it now that you are 7 you have progressed to reading the Beano then

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

Do Palace still have cheerleaders? on 22:10 - Feb 2 with 4259 viewsSeablu

Do Palace still have cheerleaders? on 12:18 - Feb 2 by tractorshark

And thank you for adding weight to my argument...
The implication being if someone reads one of these newspapers, their view is uninformed and invalid?
Or could it be that it just differs from yours?
I do read one of these papers but I suspect I also read some papers you, I presume, would approve of.
Does that mean I qualify to have an opinion on this board?
I can see the other argument with the grid girls, I understand the notion that it is possibly outdated in the world we live in.
But do I agree with it, no. And I certainly don’t believe it is right to call for a perfectly legal activity to be banned because it supposedly offends a lot of people who don’t watch F1 in the first place.
As for the media’s reporting of the subject, I saw a BBC journalist stating girls could do so much more in F1 than hold a brolly. Maybe so. But this is a journalist working for an organisation currently under investigation for paying men far more than women.
I would suggest a look in the mirror is required before taking the moral high ground.
[Post edited 2 Feb 2018 12:19]

Unfortunately, there are many (including some glaring candidates on here) who garner their opinions & viewpoints solely from these rags.
The publishers aren't stupid. They cater for the amoebas who gorge on every piece of bile and bilge they write.
These simpletons' views are, regrettably, far from invalid, just wholly uninformed.
[Post edited 2 Feb 2018 22:13]
Do Palace still have cheerleaders? on 22:18 - Feb 2 with 4253 viewsStNeotsBlue

My youngest two daughters are both involved in one of these daft dancing troops, it isn't my bag at all and leave it all to the ex wife to ferry them around but they absolutely love it.

They both also are swimming at county level and decent athletes which is where I jump in and do the ferrying around because it's something I want to encourage. But if they became grid girls, Palace cheerleaders or even walk on girls at darts/boxing and are happy doing that then good luck to them.

At the moment one wants to be a PE teacher and the other a pathologist so I'll let you all know how it pans out in a few years.
Do Palace still have cheerleaders? on 22:19 - Feb 2 with 4252 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

Do Palace still have cheerleaders? on 22:10 - Feb 2 by Seablu

Unfortunately, there are many (including some glaring candidates on here) who garner their opinions & viewpoints solely from these rags.
The publishers aren't stupid. They cater for the amoebas who gorge on every piece of bile and bilge they write.
These simpletons' views are, regrettably, far from invalid, just wholly uninformed.
[Post edited 2 Feb 2018 22:13]

I garner most of my opinions from Angling Times tbh..........................Back to the OP, Crystal Palace Cheerleaders will be carrying on as usual. Very pleasant on the eye they are too.

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

Do Palace still have cheerleaders? on 23:00 - Feb 2 with 4206 viewsSeablu

Do Palace still have cheerleaders? on 22:19 - Feb 2 by StochesStotasBlewe

I garner most of my opinions from Angling Times tbh..........................Back to the OP, Crystal Palace Cheerleaders will be carrying on as usual. Very pleasant on the eye they are too.

Unless they're relegated I shan't be able to judge. I turned up late and missed them last September.
Do Palace still have cheerleaders? on 23:07 - Feb 2 with 4197 viewsSeablu

Do Palace still have cheerleaders? on 23:00 - Feb 2 by Seablu

Unless they're relegated I shan't be able to judge. I turned up late and missed them last September.

I meant August
No wonder I missed them.
Do Palace still have cheerleaders? on 23:10 - Feb 2 with 4198 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

Do Palace still have cheerleaders? on 23:00 - Feb 2 by Seablu

Youtube is a wonderful thing.

Do Palace still have cheerleaders? on 23:17 - Feb 2 with 4188 viewsSeablu

Do Palace still have cheerleaders? on 23:10 - Feb 2 by StochesStotasBlewe

Youtube is a wonderful thing.

Oooh, indeed it is.
They can still be relegated, right?
Do Palace still have cheerleaders? on 23:19 - Feb 2 with 4190 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

Do Palace still have cheerleaders? on 23:17 - Feb 2 by Seablu

Oooh, indeed it is.
They can still be relegated, right?

Absolutely, be sods law if we were too.

Do Palace still have cheerleaders? on 04:16 - Feb 3 with 4143 viewsBenters2

Do Palace still have cheerleaders? on 22:18 - Feb 2 by StNeotsBlue

My youngest two daughters are both involved in one of these daft dancing troops, it isn't my bag at all and leave it all to the ex wife to ferry them around but they absolutely love it.

They both also are swimming at county level and decent athletes which is where I jump in and do the ferrying around because it's something I want to encourage. But if they became grid girls, Palace cheerleaders or even walk on girls at darts/boxing and are happy doing that then good luck to them.

At the moment one wants to be a PE teacher and the other a pathologist so I'll let you all know how it pans out in a few years.

Good for them.

I wish them all the very best for the future.
Do Palace still have cheerleaders? on 10:11 - Feb 3 with 4111 viewstractorshark

Blaming the media is a lazy argument.
I have an opinion, you have an opinion, the media has an opinion.
People blame the media when it is an opinion they don’t agree with.
The public can make up their own minds. If they are swayed by the Mail, The Sun etc, is that any different to being swayed by someone with the opposite view on a forum such as this?
There is no such thing as a neutral media organisation in this country...and that includes the BBC.
But there is such a thing as free speech and free thinking and long may that continue.
As for whether the sport would continue without grid girls, of course it would.
As would American Football without cheerleaders.
As would football with a total alcohol ban within 2 miles of a stadium.
Would I call for that? No, it’s ludicrous.
The problem with all these social media campaigns hysterically saying ban this and stop that is eventually it will involve something you actually like.
The question I would ask is would your life be affected if they kept grid girls in F1? I suspect I know the answer.
Do Palace still have cheerleaders? on 12:38 - Feb 6 with 4018 viewsKing_of_Portman_Rd

Do Palace still have cheerleaders? on 10:11 - Feb 3 by tractorshark

Blaming the media is a lazy argument.
I have an opinion, you have an opinion, the media has an opinion.
People blame the media when it is an opinion they don’t agree with.
The public can make up their own minds. If they are swayed by the Mail, The Sun etc, is that any different to being swayed by someone with the opposite view on a forum such as this?
There is no such thing as a neutral media organisation in this country...and that includes the BBC.
But there is such a thing as free speech and free thinking and long may that continue.
As for whether the sport would continue without grid girls, of course it would.
As would American Football without cheerleaders.
As would football with a total alcohol ban within 2 miles of a stadium.
Would I call for that? No, it’s ludicrous.
The problem with all these social media campaigns hysterically saying ban this and stop that is eventually it will involve something you actually like.
The question I would ask is would your life be affected if they kept grid girls in F1? I suspect I know the answer.

When I laid an accusation at the way the media has covered this story it is due to the way discussions have been led and facilitated.

Listening t'radio other day they had a phone in and they were making statements like "what about cheerleaders" - Well that is a leap to jump from grid girls to something completely different which I believe is clouding peoples views. No one has said Cheerleaders are to be banned, nor are they in any way relevant to 'window dressing & purely for titillation'

Also in that discussion was some berk calling people 'snowflakes' and making claims that Diving, Gymnastics and Beach Volleyball will all have to be banned then due to the nature of their dress code etc. Unfortunately this wasn't killed stone dead as an idiotic statement so naturally discussion continued along those lines and I've heard similar statements across other platforms.

These "SPORTS" have a set dress code set by the world governing body (rightly or wrongly) that is the case.. But for pillocks to now jump to wild conclusions purely on conjecture have fanned the flames for people to be ever more misinformed and further away from the topic that was originally highlighted.

I agree this isn't a completely black and white topic, but some of the content that is being included in the debate isn't relevant in any way.
[Post edited 6 Feb 2018 12:39]
Do Palace still have cheerleaders? on 13:08 - Feb 6 with 3998 viewsmonytowbray

I find it odd how so many men aren't bothered about feminism when it comes to the gender pay gap, male-bias legal system for rape/abuse and the general harassment women face from how they look.

Yet the minute a sport decides something is in bad taste they are their straight away to defend the women on the grounds of losing a job and their freedoms.

I learned a very tough lesson over the last couple of years, that despite thinking I was pro feminist, I was making two mistakes.

The first was as I am male I have no right to tell women what to think or how to feel. This matter of women in sport should be down to women to discuss - it doesn't affect men we will simply never understand it.

The second was I simply wasn't doing enough and I was being too dismissive. "It can't be THAT bad surely" I used to say. It wasn't until I really started paying attention to the sort of things men think it is acceptable to say and do to women in public and in private that I saw how grim it was. Too many men view women as property or as objects of pleasure. Until we get past this and learn how to behave, I firmly believe women are well within their right to take away the nice things.

I think my GF said it best when I asked for her opinion - "Talk to me about it when female athletes and sport personalities get the same respect and pay as the male ones." Can't argue with that.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024