Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Farage has come around to my way of thinking 10:37 - Jan 11 with 18942 viewsGlasgowBlue

Let's have a second referendum to kill this off and shut the remoaners up once and for all.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Farage has come around to my way of thinking on 11:59 - Jan 11 with 4902 viewsElderGrizzly

Farage has come around to my way of thinking on 11:52 - Jan 11 by chicoazul

Why is it not their place? It's their club. Why wouldn't we need their agreement?

Because we haven’t left yet. We’ve given notice, which according to the author we can withdraw at our whim at any time before the 2 year period is up.
Farage has come around to my way of thinking on 12:02 - Jan 11 with 4900 viewsStokieBlue

Farage has come around to my way of thinking on 11:49 - Jan 11 by ElderGrizzly

It’s not their place to say no. We can unilaterally stop it. We don’t need their agreement to do so.

Are you sure about that?

I thought once it was triggered that was it, if we stopped it then that would basically be a new application with all that comes with it (ie. no rebate, join the EUR etc).

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Farage has come around to my way of thinking on 12:07 - Jan 11 with 4889 viewsGlasgowBlue

Farage has come around to my way of thinking on 11:40 - Jan 11 by Archer4721

Of course it's party political.

Cameron didn't call a referendum for the will of the people. He did so to keep the Tory party from splitting and in power.

Swerve

Iron Lion Zion

Farage has come around to my way of thinking on 12:16 - Jan 11 with 4869 viewschicoazul

Farage has come around to my way of thinking on 11:59 - Jan 11 by ElderGrizzly

Because we haven’t left yet. We’ve given notice, which according to the author we can withdraw at our whim at any time before the 2 year period is up.

I am very confident things would not be anything like as cut and dried as you think. The author is not the EU.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Farage has come around to my way of thinking on 12:17 - Jan 11 with 4864 viewschicoazul

Farage has come around to my way of thinking on 12:02 - Jan 11 by StokieBlue

Are you sure about that?

I thought once it was triggered that was it, if we stopped it then that would basically be a new application with all that comes with it (ie. no rebate, join the EUR etc).

SB

That is what I think too. Put yourself in the EU position, what would you do? You'd rinse the UK for all it's worth, make them take the Euro, withdraw all previous special conditions etc

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Farage has come around to my way of thinking on 12:23 - Jan 11 with 4858 viewsWaterfootblue

Perhaps there is a role for you in the UKIP Think Tank Glassers.
Seriously though, most sensible people had realised that the architects of Brexit had never in their wildest dreams expected a Leave result, and had not prepared for one.
If you wish to call me a Reamoner, then so be it. I voted remain and have seventy years of life experience to base my decisions on. Had there been a compelling argument that leaving would repair some of problems in a deeply divided and broken Britain then I would have voted leave.
I do not look at things through Blue or Red tinted glasses, they are both failed institutions and the UK Parliament is a shambles, "my opinion".
I am not going to moan about Leaving, but just get on with it. Then our own Parliament will be more exposed and will have no one to blame for their failings. BUT PLESE DON'T BRING THE LITTLE RED BUS OUT AGAIN.
Farage has come around to my way of thinking on 12:26 - Jan 11 with 4855 viewsunbelievablue

Farage has come around to my way of thinking on 11:16 - Jan 11 by GlasgowBlue

You are right. A poor choice of words. The nastiness may be put to bed forever. The accusation of lies. I's like to see Leave win with a bigger majority from a better informed electorate so the likes of Blair, Clegg and Adonis will accpet the result with good grace.

Those who want to remain/rejoin should be able to express that opinion just as those who campaigned to leave were able to do so since the last referendum.

Do you think a more informed electorate would vote Leave with a bigger majority than 2016?

Le meilleur des mondes possibles
Poll: When booking a reservation at a restaurant/bar, do you give...

Farage has come around to my way of thinking on 12:32 - Jan 11 with 4838 viewsSwansea_Blue

Farage has come around to my way of thinking on 11:05 - Jan 11 by GlasgowBlue

Remoaners are a very different breed from the majority of people who voted remain. They are people like Lord Adonis, who Compared Brexit to appeasing Hitler, and demanded MPs “halt Brexit” and “scrap Brexit”.

He's an attention-seeking pillock though, he'll always speak out wrongly on things that catch his attention on any given day. A hundred referendums wouldn't change that.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Login to get fewer ads

Farage has come around to my way of thinking on 12:35 - Jan 11 with 4826 viewsblue_oyster

Wasn't the referendum supposed to put the issue of leaving the EU to bed once and for all?

Conventional wisdom is the enemy of thought.
Poll: Who is the most hated contributor to this site?

Farage has come around to my way of thinking on 12:38 - Jan 11 with 4814 viewsArcher4721

Farage has come around to my way of thinking on 12:35 - Jan 11 by blue_oyster

Wasn't the referendum supposed to put the issue of leaving the EU to bed once and for all?

Only in the Tory Party.
Farage has come around to my way of thinking on 12:39 - Jan 11 with 4811 viewsElderGrizzly

Farage has come around to my way of thinking on 12:16 - Jan 11 by chicoazul

I am very confident things would not be anything like as cut and dried as you think. The author is not the EU.

The author wrote the legislation the EU is following on this. So if they want to change the terms of how Article 50, they would actually need to negotiate with us
Farage has come around to my way of thinking on 13:16 - Jan 11 with 4776 viewsGlasgowBlue

Farage has come around to my way of thinking on 12:26 - Jan 11 by unbelievablue

Do you think a more informed electorate would vote Leave with a bigger majority than 2016?

I do yes. Of course I was the person who predicted a 100 seat majority for the Tories in June.

Iron Lion Zion

Farage has come around to my way of thinking on 13:17 - Jan 11 with 4767 viewsGlasgowBlue

Farage has come around to my way of thinking on 12:38 - Jan 11 by Archer4721

Only in the Tory Party.

Which party is lead by a man who has moaned about and campaigned against the EU for the past 40 years? You keep avoiding this question.

Iron Lion Zion

Farage has come around to my way of thinking on 13:43 - Jan 11 with 4740 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Farage has come around to my way of thinking on 11:13 - Jan 11 by GlasgowBlue

I suspect his reasons for wanting a second referendum are different from mine. Since June 2016 the country has become a far nastier place with recriminations of betrayal and lies being chuck from both sides. We have had nearly two years since the referendum. The predicted 2016 and 2017 recession didn't happen. Productivity is at a six year high. House prices didn't crash. Unemployment didn't shoot up.

On the other side people are aware that the Boris Bus isn't a pledge and there is no guarantee of spending EU savings on the NHS. The weak pound has caused higher inflation. Immigration , thankfully, will be dependent on trade deals with countries like India and China, so those who voted to leave because they want less immigration now know the facts. There may be more immigration.

So the electorate are now better informed. I would like to see a second referendum based on what we now know. I wouldn't take the electorate for granted as I did at the last election. Remain could win. But whatever the result, it would be one made with a better understanding.

Although I pretty much agree with the sentiment, what if somebody tries to make it a 60% vote required.......down to the importance of the decision. We could be at it for the foreseeable future thus guaranteeing the status quo.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If he goes will he still be Super?

Farage has come around to my way of thinking on 13:45 - Jan 11 with 4741 viewsArcher4721

Farage has come around to my way of thinking on 13:17 - Jan 11 by GlasgowBlue

Which party is lead by a man who has moaned about and campaigned against the EU for the past 40 years? You keep avoiding this question.

I don't recall him or any other Labour asking for or offering a referendum in their manifesto?

Brexit is a Tory gig.
Farage has come around to my way of thinking on 13:50 - Jan 11 with 4727 viewsGlasgowBlue

Farage has come around to my way of thinking on 13:45 - Jan 11 by Archer4721

I don't recall him or any other Labour asking for or offering a referendum in their manifesto?

Brexit is a Tory gig.

Miliband was leader when the referendum was in the Tory manifesto.

However, as an MP he stood on a platform of withdrawal without even giving a referendum.

Denying that Corbyn is a Brexiteer makes you look delusional.

Iron Lion Zion

Farage has come around to my way of thinking on 13:54 - Jan 11 with 4710 viewsArcher4721

Farage has come around to my way of thinking on 13:50 - Jan 11 by GlasgowBlue

Miliband was leader when the referendum was in the Tory manifesto.

However, as an MP he stood on a platform of withdrawal without even giving a referendum.

Denying that Corbyn is a Brexiteer makes you look delusional.

Brexit was done by Cameron to save his party from imploding and to try and enhance his position within it.....But he got it oh so wrong and didn't realise how much he was hated by the electorate.

Denying that makes you look delusional.
[Post edited 11 Jan 2018 13:56]
Farage has come around to my way of thinking on 13:54 - Jan 11 with 4710 viewsKievthegreat

Farage has come around to my way of thinking on 13:45 - Jan 11 by Archer4721

Brexit is a Tory gig.

Tory brexit and Labour brexit are the same thing. JC just loves voting with the Tories.
Farage has come around to my way of thinking on 14:00 - Jan 11 with 4694 viewsblue_oyster

Farage has come around to my way of thinking on 13:54 - Jan 11 by Archer4721

Brexit was done by Cameron to save his party from imploding and to try and enhance his position within it.....But he got it oh so wrong and didn't realise how much he was hated by the electorate.

And by doing so revealing the dirty secret that no-one was allowed to discuss, but have known for a long time -- that we don't want to be in the EU.

Conventional wisdom is the enemy of thought.
Poll: Who is the most hated contributor to this site?

Farage has come around to my way of thinking on 14:06 - Jan 11 with 4679 viewsGlasgowBlue

Farage has come around to my way of thinking on 13:54 - Jan 11 by Archer4721

Yes. You are correct with your assessment of Cameron and his motives behind the referendum. It was offered from a position of weakness. The one thing I will deny is how he was hated by the electorate. Just one year before the referendum he was returned to power with an increased majority.

Now back to Corbyn. He is the only leader of the major parties to have voted to leave the EU, stood on a platform of withdrawing from the EU, was Tony Benn's bag carrier at every anti Eu meeting and voted against the Maastricht and Lisbon Treaties isn't he? He is a Brexiteer isn't he?

Iron Lion Zion

Farage has come around to my way of thinking on 14:10 - Jan 11 with 4672 viewsGlasgowBlue

Farage has come around to my way of thinking on 13:43 - Jan 11 by BanksterDebtSlave

Although I pretty much agree with the sentiment, what if somebody tries to make it a 60% vote required.......down to the importance of the decision. We could be at it for the foreseeable future thus guaranteeing the status quo.

The status quo at the moment is that we are leaving the EU so if a 60% vote is required then it would be 60% to remain/rejoin.

The 60%, I'd have made it 65%, should have been written into the original referendum. I understand that Leave would have then lost, although that may have also mobilised more people to vote leave and some remainers may have not bothered if they were over confident, but it would have been been a more satisfactory way of conducting a referendum.

Iron Lion Zion

Farage has come around to my way of thinking on 14:10 - Jan 11 with 4673 viewsjaseitfc

I actually think Remain would win this for the below reasons

1) the 2016 victory was slender
2) I think more young people will turnout - Leave and Trump wins have created an alarmist mentally among young liberals/leftists that has increased/will increase their vote in upcoming elections - see Corbyn's surge in last year's election
3) 2 years on there are on more eligible young voters, and less eligible older voters
4) theres plenty of time for MP's, the government, the EU, and the media to present a disastrous falling off a cliff Brexit to sway the undecided over to Remain.

I think Farage calling for this shows complacency and a bit of the arrogance he originally accused the liberal elite of.

Remain will win if it happens
Farage has come around to my way of thinking on 14:53 - Jan 11 with 4650 viewsCotty

Farage has come around to my way of thinking on 11:13 - Jan 11 by GlasgowBlue

I suspect his reasons for wanting a second referendum are different from mine. Since June 2016 the country has become a far nastier place with recriminations of betrayal and lies being chuck from both sides. We have had nearly two years since the referendum. The predicted 2016 and 2017 recession didn't happen. Productivity is at a six year high. House prices didn't crash. Unemployment didn't shoot up.

On the other side people are aware that the Boris Bus isn't a pledge and there is no guarantee of spending EU savings on the NHS. The weak pound has caused higher inflation. Immigration , thankfully, will be dependent on trade deals with countries like India and China, so those who voted to leave because they want less immigration now know the facts. There may be more immigration.

So the electorate are now better informed. I would like to see a second referendum based on what we now know. I wouldn't take the electorate for granted as I did at the last election. Remain could win. But whatever the result, it would be one made with a better understanding.

I agree. At the time of the first referendum, we had a whole host of outcomes represented by the same "leave" vote. When it comes to the end of the negotiating period, there are only 3 possible outcomes, and it is worthy of another referendum. That is, accept the deal, reject the deal and leave anyway, or choose to remain. I'd wholeheartedly support such a referendum, and then I'd pass a law to ban referendums for a generation.
Farage has come around to my way of thinking on 15:01 - Jan 11 with 4637 viewsKievthegreat

Farage has come around to my way of thinking on 14:53 - Jan 11 by Cotty

I agree. At the time of the first referendum, we had a whole host of outcomes represented by the same "leave" vote. When it comes to the end of the negotiating period, there are only 3 possible outcomes, and it is worthy of another referendum. That is, accept the deal, reject the deal and leave anyway, or choose to remain. I'd wholeheartedly support such a referendum, and then I'd pass a law to ban referendums for a generation.

What if it ended up 48% remain and 52% for leave split between your 2 options? Would you let remain win? 3 options means a very high probability of no majority for any decision and the arguments will continue unrelentingly.
Farage has come around to my way of thinking on 15:03 - Jan 11 with 4634 viewsCotty

Farage has come around to my way of thinking on 15:01 - Jan 11 by Kievthegreat

What if it ended up 48% remain and 52% for leave split between your 2 options? Would you let remain win? 3 options means a very high probability of no majority for any decision and the arguments will continue unrelentingly.

Fine, let's have 2 referenda then. First one, leave or remain. If the first result is leave, then we decide whether or not to accept the deal in a second ballot. All in favour?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024