Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Your favourite overseas club, and any reason as to why? 00:50 - Nov 13 with 23032 viewsCurrie10

Before Ipswich, I fell in love with Ac Milan.

The year was 1995 and I was 9. I only had terrestrial tv, channel 5 fortunately hadn't yet been released and there was only four options open to me.

I played football in the playground where everyone was Liverpool, Man Utd, some Blackburn due to them winning the league.......... I did see the fa cup in 1994 with Man Utd 4 Chelsea 0 but didn't adopt either. Being a South West individual, the 3-2 game vs Man Utd stuck in my head though and by 98 / 99 I was fully ITFC. Oh boy how I pick them!

Now I gues I did the same! With Ac Milan's back four of Maldini, Baresi, Costa Corta and Panucci they romped the Serie A 95-96. I watched many games on channel 4 and remember James Richardson fondly.

Of course, 96-97 and 97-98 were an utter mess for Milano however they will forever remain my overseas club.
[Post edited 13 Nov 2017 0:52]
Your favourite overseas club, and any reason as to why? on 08:46 - Nov 13 with 10328 viewsdickie

I always used to have a soft spot for Lazio due to channel 4's coverage and Gazza - well until they stiffed us on a second friendly!
Your favourite overseas club, and any reason as to why? on 08:50 - Nov 13 with 10317 viewsLeaky

Fortuna Dusseldorf
Your favourite overseas club, and any reason as to why? on 08:55 - Nov 13 with 10311 viewsuefacup81

Hertha BSC - got a shirt of theirs off a market stall when I must have been about 13/14 and took a passing interest in them from there.

Then I moved to Berlin in 2009, started going to games, and was hooked.

Poll: Predictions for tonight?

Your favourite overseas club, and any reason as to why? on 08:56 - Nov 13 with 10306 viewsuefacup81

Your favourite overseas club, and any reason as to why? on 08:50 - Nov 13 by Leaky

Fortuna Dusseldorf

Boo and/or hiss!

Poll: Predictions for tonight?

Your favourite overseas club, and any reason as to why? on 08:58 - Nov 13 with 10304 viewsKieran_Knows

RKC Waalwijk in Holland, all because of football bloody manager! Brought their shirt the other week. I now have a very keen interested in Dutch football because of it, mainly Eredevisie and Jupiler League.

I’d say they’re my favourite, but every time I visit somewhere, I always try buy the football shirt from the local club. Brought Hertha Berlin’s shirt when I went Berlin last year, and off to Vienna next March so have the choice of Rapid or Austria shirts!
[Post edited 13 Nov 2017 9:01]

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

on 09:00 - Nov 13 with 10300 views_

Your favourite overseas club, and any reason as to why? on 09:10 - Nov 13 with 10276 viewsGarv

Inter. Loved the kit and watching Vieri.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Your favourite overseas club, and any reason as to why? on 09:14 - Nov 13 with 10272 viewsstickymockwell

Duckla Prague until they dissolved because of HMHB. I like St Pauli again because of the cult nature of the club. I have a look every now and again for Helsingborg.

Give him a ball and a yard of grass
Poll: How many times have you looked at the table since full time yesterday?

Login to get fewer ads

Your favourite overseas club, and any reason as to why? on 09:20 - Nov 13 with 10269 viewsFreddies_Ears

Might be worth your whole contacting Simeone (Simo) Longo, who runs ITFC Italy. He is a Milan fan, but got into Ipswich in part through his brother, and in part by managing to get into the Ipswich end at the San Siro when we played Inter. Top bloke as well, comes over a couple of times a year.
Your favourite overseas club, and any reason as to why? on 09:28 - Nov 13 with 10258 viewsuncle

Sint-Truiden in Belgium, because i used to go watch them when i worked out there.

And Ajax for the same reason.

Other than them, there's a pile of teams i quite like, mainly due to glorious success/failure in football manager games. Juve Stabia spring to mind. (Took them to the champions league knockout stage)
Your favourite overseas club, and any reason as to why? on 10:15 - Nov 13 with 10208 viewsjimsymBLUE

Your favourite overseas club, and any reason as to why? on 08:55 - Nov 13 by uefacup81

Hertha BSC - got a shirt of theirs off a market stall when I must have been about 13/14 and took a passing interest in them from there.

Then I moved to Berlin in 2009, started going to games, and was hooked.

Hertha for me too, started with a stag do to Berlin 7/8 years ago where we ended up behind the goal with some are the craziest ultras you'll ever meet!! Didn't stop singing and bouncing for 90 mins. That evening they took 25 of us on a 'cultural trip' around the city and we try and get over for a couple of games every year.
Brilliant place and historic stadium..Nur nach Hause...Hertha Hertha BSC...

Poll: Who is the better contributor to this site?

Your favourite overseas club, and any reason as to why? on 10:17 - Nov 13 with 10201 viewsKieran_Knows

Your favourite overseas club, and any reason as to why? on 10:15 - Nov 13 by jimsymBLUE

Hertha for me too, started with a stag do to Berlin 7/8 years ago where we ended up behind the goal with some are the craziest ultras you'll ever meet!! Didn't stop singing and bouncing for 90 mins. That evening they took 25 of us on a 'cultural trip' around the city and we try and get over for a couple of games every year.
Brilliant place and historic stadium..Nur nach Hause...Hertha Hertha BSC...

Fantastic stadium as you say, I went to a game last year whilst on a weekend away with the missus (she took some persuading). It was great though, we sat in the upper tier above the 'ultras' end and the atmosphere was unreal. They beat Mainz 2-1, and have always looked out for their results since.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Your favourite overseas club, and any reason as to why? on 10:19 - Nov 13 with 10199 viewsSporall

Roma. Fantastic city, fantastic club colours 😃
Your favourite overseas club, and any reason as to why? on 10:30 - Nov 13 with 10187 viewsStenvict

Ipswich Knights in Australia.

Don't know why, but there's something about the name that attracts me to them.

Poll: What will be announced first?

Your favourite overseas club, and any reason as to why? on 10:48 - Nov 13 with 10166 viewsHeathlander

I have four overseas clubs I follow: -

Forfar athletic - When I was little I was given a book that had all the football league tables both English and Scottish. I was a bit of a football nerd and studied them. I noticed Forfar had never ben promoted from the bottom league of Scotland so I took a bit of a shine to them and looked out for their results. Last year was the first time they had ever been promoted. Although they sit bottom of the league in the new league.

Real Madrid - From the time McMananman, Zidane and Figo played for them. And Older Ronaldo. they were a joy to watch.

Celtic - I watched them at Celtic Park in the Champions league a few years ago against Lyon. Bobby Petta was playing for the Hoops. I have never ever known an atmosphere like it in my life. So I have a soft spot for them.

Finally Colonge after going to watch them last season.

I don't follow any with any real conviction but they are the clubs I have a soft spot for.
Your favourite overseas club, and any reason as to why? on 10:51 - Nov 13 with 10149 viewsfactual_blue

S.S. Ischia Isolaverde. Never seen them play, but love holidaying on the island.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Your favourite overseas club, and any reason as to why? on 10:51 - Nov 13 with 10148 viewsIpswichIrish

Celtic, the Irish connection
Your favourite overseas club, and any reason as to why? on 10:57 - Nov 13 with 10131 viewsbrazil1982

Queen of the South. I was treated to a personal tour of the ground 5 years ago - I was simply taking photos of the outside, and one of the Directors spent time with me. So, I have quite an affection for them.

I have been to a few games since including their famous 3-0 win over Rangers a few seasons ago. I think I'm correct in saying Palmerston Park has the largest terracing left in Scottish football.
Your favourite overseas club, and any reason as to why? on 11:00 - Nov 13 with 10124 viewsIpswichIrish

Your favourite overseas club, and any reason as to why? on 10:57 - Nov 13 by brazil1982

Queen of the South. I was treated to a personal tour of the ground 5 years ago - I was simply taking photos of the outside, and one of the Directors spent time with me. So, I have quite an affection for them.

I have been to a few games since including their famous 3-0 win over Rangers a few seasons ago. I think I'm correct in saying Palmerston Park has the largest terracing left in Scottish football.

Fair play. I had similar experience with staff at Easter road, Hibernian once so I always hope they do well, was delighted when they beat Rangers in the Scottish cup final last year.
Your favourite overseas club, and any reason as to why? on 11:15 - Nov 13 with 10104 viewsgainsboroughblue

Your favourite overseas club, and any reason as to why? on 08:46 - Nov 13 by dickie

I always used to have a soft spot for Lazio due to channel 4's coverage and Gazza - well until they stiffed us on a second friendly!

My feelings about Lazio were already tainted at that point as I'd read the story of how their players and fans had behaved against us in 1973.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

Your favourite overseas club, and any reason as to why? on 11:52 - Nov 13 with 10043 viewsvilanovablue

Barcelona for me I lived there for a couple of years. I would add when I lived there I went to see them fairly regularly tickets were always available apart from the big games and back then it cost 15 Euros. At this time 2001 - 2003 Barcelona were dire, I left the summer they signed Ronaldinho so don't feel bad about still following them when they became good again.
Your favourite overseas club, and any reason as to why? on 11:56 - Nov 13 with 10031 viewstextbackup

on 09:00 - Nov 13 by _

**spits on floor**

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Your favourite overseas club, and any reason as to why? on 11:59 - Nov 13 with 10023 viewsm14_blue

Your favourite overseas club, and any reason as to why? on 10:51 - Nov 13 by IpswichIrish

Celtic, the Irish connection

Do you follow an Irish team too?
on 11:59 - Nov 13 with 10023 views_

Your favourite overseas club, and any reason as to why? on 11:56 - Nov 13 by textbackup

**spits on floor**

Your favourite overseas club, and any reason as to why? on 12:00 - Nov 13 with 10022 viewssolemio

Queen of the South - family connection, well my wife's family.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024