Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
11:48 - Sep 7 with 66629 views_

Jacob Rees-Mogg has made a tit of himself... on 14:22 - Sep 7 with 5176 viewsClapham_Junction

For all the claims that that Rees-Mogg understands the difference between private opinion and public policy and doesn't believe on imposing his views on others, he has consistently voted against gay rights and gay marriage in parliament.

[edit] Just noticed tcblue has already made this point.
[Post edited 7 Sep 2017 14:24]
Jacob Rees-Mogg has made a tit of himself... on 14:28 - Sep 7 with 5153 viewsGlasgowBlue

Jacob Rees-Mogg has made a tit of himself... on 14:13 - Sep 7 by m14_blue

Odd how many of the people who admire JRM for being principled and sticking to his views are the same people who castigate Corbyn for his own, equally sincere, views.

Presumably you would all have the same respect for the hypothetical Muslim (who many of you seem obsessed with) who revealed his own prejudices.

I don't admire someone with such archaic views as JRM, even if he is stupid enough to reveal his stupidity for all to see.

If he achieves high office it would be an absolute disaster for the Tories and guarantee beyond any doubt a labour government led by Corbyn and his equally idiotic front bench.

Our politics and politicians are an embarrassment

Not really. Corbyn is to be congratulated when he shows principles.

https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/365571/page:1

It's when her swerves, wriggles and tells outright lies about his reasons for supporting certain causes and organisations from his past that I have a problem with.

Hence when he spoke up for the Callias refugees or refused to sing the national anthem I defended his right to do so as he was being principled.

When he has lied, wriggled and swerved then I've condemned him.
[Post edited 7 Sep 2017 14:32]

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Jacob Rees-Mogg has made a tit of himself... on 14:43 - Sep 7 with 5122 viewsBlueBadger

Jacob Rees-Mogg has made a tit of himself... on 11:56 - Sep 7 by Stenvict

Refreshing to hear a politician telling the truth for once and not saying what the general public want to hear.

Why is it always 'the truth' when the 'truth' in question is based upon something that was made up 2000 years ago as interpreted by a posh sociopath with no interest in actually looking after children once they move from the condition of being 'unborn' to 'born to people with an income under 100,000 a year'?

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Do we still want KM to be our manager
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Jacob Rees-Mogg has made a tit of himself... on 14:45 - Sep 7 with 5118 viewsBlueBadger

Jacob Rees-Mogg has made a tit of himself... on 13:27 - Sep 7 by chicoazul

It seems to me that abortion is "wrong", of course it is, but that women don't have them because they are "right" or because they want to.
It also seems to me that unlike Chris Farron for instance Mogg is happy for his profile to be high despite his beliefs and that he says, in as many words, that he would not seek to undo the legislation that exists despite his personal distaste for it.
And finally I have to ask myself if he would receive the same opprobrium if he were a Moselem expressing his faith in this way.

If he were a Muslim, you can pretty much guarantee you'd be getting the full treatment from the tabloids and the sort of dickheads who say things like 'I bet you wouldn't say this if he were muslim'.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.

Jacob Rees-Mogg has made a tit of himself... on 14:48 - Sep 7 with 5106 viewsBlueBadger

Jacob Rees-Mogg has made a tit of himself... on 14:22 - Sep 7 by Clapham_Junction

For all the claims that that Rees-Mogg understands the difference between private opinion and public policy and doesn't believe on imposing his views on others, he has consistently voted against gay rights and gay marriage in parliament.

[edit] Just noticed tcblue has already made this point.
[Post edited 7 Sep 2017 14:24]

I also note that he's a 'small state' Tory who believes in reducing state interfenec ein peoples lives. Unless of course they happen to women, gay or poor.

Jacob Rees-Mogg has made a tit of himself... on 14:52 - Sep 7 with 5085 viewsVic

Jacob Rees-Mogg has made a tit of himself... on 14:07 - Sep 7 by itfcjoe

I think oppossing gay marriage makes you homophobic. I'm yet to speak to someone who does that whilst not massively anti-gay certainly doesn't see them as equals.

I think it's fine to be non-plussed and have no real opinion on it - but to be against it is homophobic.

I'm sorry that's your experience Joe. I've been around here for a while and I don't tend to hide my religious views; you probably (hopefully) won't therefore be surprised that I personally don;t support gay marriage. But I think you'd absolutely struggle to find me homophobic! I have many gay friends and I know they would defend me on this. To me being homophobic (as in seeing them as not equals, etc) just doesn't make sense. From a Christian view point I simply see that they struggle with one thing, but I struggle with other things - neither of us are any better than each other. I don't judge them and they don't judge me.

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

on 14:54 - Sep 7 with 5077 views_

Jacob Rees-Mogg has made a tit of himself... on 14:52 - Sep 7 by Vic

I'm sorry that's your experience Joe. I've been around here for a while and I don't tend to hide my religious views; you probably (hopefully) won't therefore be surprised that I personally don;t support gay marriage. But I think you'd absolutely struggle to find me homophobic! I have many gay friends and I know they would defend me on this. To me being homophobic (as in seeing them as not equals, etc) just doesn't make sense. From a Christian view point I simply see that they struggle with one thing, but I struggle with other things - neither of us are any better than each other. I don't judge them and they don't judge me.

Jacob Rees-Mogg has made a tit of himself... on 14:55 - Sep 7 with 5076 viewsitfcjoe

Jacob Rees-Mogg has made a tit of himself... on 14:52 - Sep 7 by Vic

Do you oppose gay marriage though?

I personally see a big difference between not being a supporter of it, and actually opposing it.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Login to get fewer ads

Jacob Rees-Mogg has made a tit of himself... on 14:56 - Sep 7 with 5072 viewsBlueBadger

Jacob Rees-Mogg has made a tit of himself... on 14:01 - Sep 7 by blueblueburleymcgrew

I don't know he is certainly principled.

These are not issues I agree with him on but he didn't call for the reform of gay marriage or the abortion laws simply that these are subjects which he doesn't agree with.

This in isolation wouldn't make him a poor leader.

Genuine question, does not supporting gay marriage make you homophobic? if his concerns run deeper than just opposing gay marriage in principle then yes he's got a big big problem to overcome if he wants to be leader and ultimately PM.
[Post edited 7 Sep 2017 14:06]

If you don't see gay people as worthy of being equal in theeyes of the law, then yes, that's homphobia.

He might not be shouting 'kill the gays' or other such vile abuse but his homophobia is just as real. He's just using the invisible sky wizard to justify his prejudice.
[Post edited 7 Sep 2017 15:17]

Jacob Rees-Mogg has made a tit of himself... on 14:56 - Sep 7 with 5066 viewsVic

Jacob Rees-Mogg has made a tit of himself... on 14:55 - Sep 7 by itfcjoe

I personally see a big difference between not being a supporter of it, and actually opposing it.

Is there a difference between the two? I'm not sure I see it - help me out on this!

on 14:56 - Sep 7 with 5067 views_

Jacob Rees-Mogg has made a tit of himself... on 14:55 - Sep 7 by itfcjoe

Jacob Rees-Mogg has made a tit of himself... on 14:57 - Sep 7 with 5063 viewsVic

on 14:54 - Sep 7 by _

Define 'prejudice' Libby

Jacob Rees-Mogg has made a tit of himself... on 14:57 - Sep 7 with 5062 viewsSuperfrans

Jacob Rees-Mogg has made a tit of himself... on 13:17 - Sep 7 by flimflam

I watched it and thought the presenters were the ones who made tits of themselves.

He has his beliefs and is prepared to stand by them whether others agree with him or not.
Would they have pressed so hard against the Major of London? Probably not but the fact we can have different cultures with different beliefs and values living side by side in this country should be celebrated and not ridiculed.
Just because you have different views to someone does not give you the right to bully someone for theirs.

Good for him for standing by his own personal views which in this day and age for a politician is quite refreshing whether you agree or not.

Celebrating your right to hold whichever beliefs you wish is fine and dandy. Nobody should disagree with that and I'm sure few on here do.

But accepting someone's right to hold an opinion is not inconsistent with believing that opinion to be abhorrent - and the right to say as such.

It's amazing how many people on here can't grasp this. It's quite a simple point.

For instance, I believe in the right of anyone to support any football team they wish. I also reserve the right to believe you are a knob for supporting Norwich City.

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

on 14:59 - Sep 7 with 5053 views_

Jacob Rees-Mogg has made a tit of himself... on 14:57 - Sep 7 by Vic

Define 'prejudice' Libby

Jacob Rees-Mogg has made a tit of himself... on 15:02 - Sep 7 with 5038 viewsVic

on 14:59 - Sep 7 by _

Thanks - I'm not prejudiced then because my opinion absolutely isn't based on preconceived (as in not based on reason or experience) notion/judgement.
[Post edited 7 Sep 2017 15:03]

Jacob Rees-Mogg has made a tit of himself... on 15:03 - Sep 7 with 5036 viewstcblue

Jacob Rees-Mogg has made a tit of himself... on 14:20 - Sep 7 by baxterbasics

Well he is free to vote as he wishes and his constituents are the ones who must judge him on that.

Likewise, if he were to take a shot at the top job, he would need to convince enough MPs that he will take the party in the right direction, and come election time his program would be in the manifesto to be voted on by the public. All these checks and balances filter out anything that might be considered 'extreme' - which is why our politics always end up gravitating around the centre.

But 'extreme' is a movable feast either way; no fascist or totalitarian regimes started overnight, there was a slow erosion of what was considered acceptable, and what was left and right wing.
Jacob Rees-Mogg has made a tit of himself... on 15:04 - Sep 7 with 5035 viewsm14_blue

Jacob Rees-Mogg has made a tit of himself... on 14:28 - Sep 7 by GlasgowBlue

Not really. Corbyn is to be congratulated when he shows principles.

https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/365571/page:1

It's when her swerves, wriggles and tells outright lies about his reasons for supporting certain causes and organisations from his past that I have a problem with.

Hence when he spoke up for the Callias refugees or refused to sing the national anthem I defended his right to do so as he was being principled.

When he has lied, wriggled and swerved then I've condemned him.
[Post edited 7 Sep 2017 14:32]

I didn't mean you actually.

I'll think you'll find many of the others applauding JRM's 'principles' weren't quite so consistent about Corbyn singing their anthem, opposing trident etc...
Jacob Rees-Mogg has made a tit of himself... on 15:04 - Sep 7 with 5031 viewsitfcjoe

on 14:56 - Sep 7 by _

To you and Vic.

I'd personally say the camps, to me are:

I support Gay Marriage

I don't really care, I'm non-plussed by it

I oppose Gay Marriage

on 15:05 - Sep 7 with 5029 views_

Jacob Rees-Mogg has made a tit of himself... on 15:02 - Sep 7 by Vic

Thanks - I'm not prejudiced then because my opinion absolutely isn't based on preconceived (as in not based on reason or experience) notion/judgement.
[Post edited 7 Sep 2017 15:03]

on 15:08 - Sep 7 with 5019 views_

Jacob Rees-Mogg has made a tit of himself... on 15:04 - Sep 7 by itfcjoe

To you and Vic.

I'd personally say the camps, to me are:

I support Gay Marriage

I don't really care, I'm non-plussed by it

I oppose Gay Marriage

Jacob Rees-Mogg has made a tit of himself... on 15:09 - Sep 7 with 5009 viewshype313

on 15:08 - Sep 7 by _

I'm still staggered that in 2017 there are people that are opposed to gay marriage.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Jacob Rees-Mogg has made a tit of himself... on 15:11 - Sep 7 with 5001 viewsblue_oyster

Jacob Rees-Mogg has made a tit of himself... on 15:09 - Sep 7 by hype313

I'm still staggered that in 2017 there are people that are opposed to gay marriage.

What about 2016?

Conventional wisdom is the enemy of thought.
Poll: Who is the most hated contributor to this site?

Jacob Rees-Mogg has made a tit of himself... on 15:12 - Sep 7 with 5000 viewsitfcjoe

on 15:08 - Sep 7 by _

I'd probably say that is true, but that isn't a bad thing in many ways.

If they realise their views are perhaps not as socially acceptable as they once were then they begin to soften them over time.

Jacob Rees-Mogg has made a tit of himself... on 15:12 - Sep 7 with 4994 viewsVic

on 15:05 - Sep 7 by _

Really? What preconceived ideas are they? I'm assuming you mean the Bible? Believing the Bible (or any other holy book or text book, etc) isn't prejudiced - it's how we learn. We're all informed by other people and then we wiegh up what we're told and make a judgement. That might be many things, but it's not prejudiced. (imo!)

Jacob Rees-Mogg has made a tit of himself... on 15:12 - Sep 7 with 4993 viewshype313

Jacob Rees-Mogg has made a tit of himself... on 15:11 - Sep 7 by blue_oyster

What about 2016?

I'd be staggered if it was 5000 BC

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024