Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Mcgoldrick will be a forest player by the end of August 21:54 - Aug 2 with 11532 viewsTCisdynamite

Shame to see IMO
Mcgoldrick will be a forest player by the end of August on 11:14 - Aug 3 with 3883 viewswkj

Mcgoldrick will be a forest player by the end of August on 11:10 - Aug 3 by Kropotkin123

okay, I found his assists. 16/17 - 3, 15/16 - 1, 14/15 - 4, 13/14 - 3, 12/13 - 1.
[Post edited 3 Aug 2017 11:11]

Assists =/= Creating Chances

Well... not entirely

Key passes, Interceptions, Tackles - McG has been a key part on launching and keeping attacking moves alive
[Post edited 3 Aug 2017 11:15]

Premier Poster. Too good to be elite.
Poll: Who do you want to see join us IN THE PREMIER LEAGUE
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Mcgoldrick will be a forest player by the end of August on 11:34 - Aug 3 with 3860 viewsKropotkin123

Mcgoldrick will be a forest player by the end of August on 11:14 - Aug 3 by wkj

Assists =/= Creating Chances

Well... not entirely

Key passes, Interceptions, Tackles - McG has been a key part on launching and keeping attacking moves alive
[Post edited 3 Aug 2017 11:15]

So we are not judging our main striker by goals and assists... instead you want us to judge him by interceptions and tackles? When he turns up of course.

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

Mcgoldrick will be a forest player by the end of August on 11:36 - Aug 3 with 3856 viewsitfcjoe

Mcgoldrick will be a forest player by the end of August on 11:34 - Aug 3 by Kropotkin123

So we are not judging our main striker by goals and assists... instead you want us to judge him by interceptions and tackles? When he turns up of course.

Or just judge him by actually how good a footballer he is? One of very few players that are worth the entrance fee alone

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Mcgoldrick will be a forest player by the end of August on 11:53 - Aug 3 with 3824 viewsjonbull88

Mcgoldrick will be a forest player by the end of August on 11:34 - Aug 3 by Kropotkin123

Look at the hole Murphy made when he left, wasnt just the goals either with him, it was his all round contribution. I feel if mcgoldrick left we would also miss his link up play as he can spot a pass as good as anyone in the team.
Mcgoldrick will be a forest player by the end of August on 12:45 - Aug 3 with 3756 viewsKropotkin123

Mcgoldrick will be a forest player by the end of August on 11:53 - Aug 3 by jonbull88

Look at the hole Murphy made when he left, wasnt just the goals either with him, it was his all round contribution. I feel if mcgoldrick left we would also miss his link up play as he can spot a pass as good as anyone in the team.

At the risk of alienating the forum... Selling Murphy was one of the best things we did. It completely exposed how reliant we were on hoofing it onto his head, with little to no back up plan. 3m for him, at his age, was fantastic business. We should never have become so one dimensional.

With two strikers, that have such good all-round play, it is surprising that we never scored that many goals over the last few season. I would suggest that this is because we are rating them more highly than we should, based on the lack of talent we have really seen over the same period.

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.

Mcgoldrick will be a forest player by the end of August on 12:47 - Aug 3 with 3753 viewswkj

Mcgoldrick will be a forest player by the end of August on 12:45 - Aug 3 by Kropotkin123

At the risk of alienating the forum... Selling Murphy was one of the best things we did. It completely exposed how reliant we were on hoofing it onto his head, with little to no back up plan. 3m for him, at his age, was fantastic business. We should never have become so one dimensional.

With two strikers, that have such good all-round play, it is surprising that we never scored that many goals over the last few season. I would suggest that this is because we are rating them more highly than we should, based on the lack of talent we have really seen over the same period.

Although I think we were exposed with that type of play long before his sale, I agree the Murphy sale was good business. What happened after that, well that was the bad business - not replacing him.

Mcgoldrick will be a forest player by the end of August on 12:59 - Aug 3 with 3730 viewsPilgrimblue

Mcgoldrick will be a forest player by the end of August on 10:55 - Aug 3 by Kropotkin123

At the risk of being flamed, he is our most over-rated player. He is really selfish in possession, often mis-shapes the team, and what he does rarely amounts to anything. He is often unavailable due to injury, and the fact he will be a higher earner means it is just a complete waste of money. Here are some supportive facts...

2012—13 - 13 games, 4 goals. Joined in January, goal to game ratio 31%.
2013—14 - 31 games, 14 goals, missed 33% of games, goal to game ratio 45%.
2014—15 - 26 games, 7 goals, missed 43% of games, goal to game ratio 27%.
2015—16 - 24 games, 4 goals, missed 48% of games, goal to game ratio 17%.
2016—17 - 30 games, 5 goals, missed 35% of games, goal to game ratio 17%.

Total - 124 games, 34 goals, missed 40% of games, goal to game ratio 27%. To put it another way, that is 7.5 goals per season for the last 4 season, with none of the last 3 seasons beating that low figure.

We can see that 2013—14 really props up his goal percentage, and he is only playing 60% of games. We would be much better off investing his salary in another striker, who is more reliable.

Very good stats and underlines what many have been saying that's a luxury player.

I'd be interested to see stats if you excluded penalties.

He should have gone in summer 2014 when he was worth a few 1,000s! Now worth SFA
Mcgoldrick will be a forest player by the end of August on 13:03 - Aug 3 with 3713 viewsLankHenners

Urgh, a pet hate of the 'modern football' era - people who just look at a goals and assists column to decide whether someone is a good player or not.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

Login to get fewer ads

Mcgoldrick will be a forest player by the end of August on 13:08 - Aug 3 with 3704 viewswkj

Mcgoldrick will be a forest player by the end of August on 13:03 - Aug 3 by LankHenners

Urgh, a pet hate of the 'modern football' era - people who just look at a goals and assists column to decide whether someone is a good player or not.

The striker possition itself is not what it used to be, some even say the striker as a role is going extinct - while that is a bit extreme I am fully bought into the idea that strikers have a lot more to do than scoring now a days, if our MF could score, we might actually see evidence of this at PR

Mcgoldrick will be a forest player by the end of August on 13:14 - Aug 3 with 3694 viewsPilgrimblue

Mcgoldrick will be a forest player by the end of August on 11:36 - Aug 3 by itfcjoe

Or just judge him by actually how good a footballer he is? One of very few players that are worth the entrance fee alone

I agree he has great skills but then what happens, very little. Certainly his shooting has become poor, usually weak or very wide.
IF Mick plays him in attacking mid role then that may suit him better as it'll give him more space and encourage passing to him (not over him). But that requires at least one more striker otherwise he'll be up front with big defenders to dominate him.
Mcgoldrick will be a forest player by the end of August on 13:38 - Aug 3 with 3668 viewsitfcjoe

Mcgoldrick will be a forest player by the end of August on 12:45 - Aug 3 by Kropotkin123

How is it a good thing to totally expose a massive flaw? It's a football club we support, not a science experiment

Also, when Murphy and McG did play together our goal record was much better, they were a very good partnership - better than anything we've had in a number of years

Mcgoldrick will be a forest player by the end of August on 14:44 - Aug 3 with 3629 viewsKropotkin123

Mcgoldrick will be a forest player by the end of August on 13:03 - Aug 3 by LankHenners

You need people who can put the ball in the back of the net, or who make it easier for others to put the ball in the back of the net. Maybe back in the day, when you had seasons where you could get numerous clubs finishing with more than 100 goals, it wasn't something that you needed to highlight. But in the modern era, it isn't beyond the realms of fantasy to need a couple of players who can score 10 or more goals in a season.

Kuqi was technically amazing, but he could stick the ball in the back of the net. 20 goals a season makes a big difference. Both to entertainment value and to the potential to win games.

Mcgoldrick will be a forest player by the end of August on 14:46 - Aug 3 with 3627 viewsblueislander

Cole Skuse anyone?
Mcgoldrick will be a forest player by the end of August on 14:48 - Aug 3 with 3626 viewsKropotkin123

Mcgoldrick will be a forest player by the end of August on 13:38 - Aug 3 by itfcjoe

How is it a good thing to totally expose a massive flaw? It's a football club we support, not a science experiment

Also, when Murphy and McG did play together our goal record was much better, they were a very good partnership - better than anything we've had in a number of years

We need to take a step backwards, to move forwards. It is reckless not to have a back up plan, and that is the manager's fault.

As for Murphy and McG being good when together, that was part of the point I made. can build a team around a player, who misses circa 40% of the games over the past 4 seasons? That is a real factor that you can't just ignore because it isn't convenient to you overall opinion.

Mcgoldrick will be a forest player by the end of August on 14:55 - Aug 3 with 3617 viewsKropotkin123

Mcgoldrick will be a forest player by the end of August on 13:08 - Aug 3 by wkj

The striker possition itself is not what it used to be, some even say the striker as a role is going extinct - while that is a bit extreme I am fully bought into the idea that strikers have a lot more to do than scoring now a days, if our MF could score, we might actually see evidence of this at PR

A minor phase. The assertion of "tika taka" football in Spain and to a lesser extent Barcelona led to this. The best clubs still have and still seek players that can put the ball in the back of the net.

Last Season
Chelsea - Costa.
Spurs - Kane.
Arsenal - Sanchez.
Man City - Aguero.
Man Utd - ibrahimovic.
Everton - Lukaku.

Our division had a couple of wildcards, but still,

Newcastle
Brighton

both with players scoring 20+ goals spearheading their promotion.

Mcgoldrick will be a forest player by the end of August on 14:57 - Aug 3 with 3614 viewsKropotkin123

Mcgoldrick will be a forest player by the end of August on 12:59 - Aug 3 by Pilgrimblue

Very good stats and underlines what many have been saying that's a luxury player.

I'd be interested to see stats if you excluded penalties.

He should have gone in summer 2014 when he was worth a few 1,000s! Now worth SFA

Yeah, agreed. When Leicester came in. The money would have gone far back then, if invested.

Mcgoldrick will be a forest player by the end of August on 14:59 - Aug 3 with 3607 viewsblueislander

Mcgoldrick will be a forest player by the end of August on 14:57 - Aug 3 by Kropotkin123

Yeah, agreed. When Leicester came in. The money would have gone far back then, if invested.

I am not sure that Leicester did actually make a bid.
Mcgoldrick will be a forest player by the end of August on 15:04 - Aug 3 with 3602 viewsStewart27

Mcgoldrick will be a forest player by the end of August on 10:55 - Aug 3 by Kropotkin123

At the risk of being flamed, he is our most over-rated player. He is really selfish in possession, often mis-shapes the team, and what he does rarely amounts to anything. He is often unavailable due to injury, and the fact he will be a higher earner means it is just a complete waste of money. Here are some supportive facts...

Total - 124 games, 34 goals, missed 40% of games, goal to game ratio 27%. To put it another way, that is 7.5 goals per season for the last 4 season, with none of the last 3 seasons beating that low figure.

We can see that 2013—14 really props up his goal percentage, and he is only playing 60% of games. We would be much better off investing his salary in another striker, who is more reliable.

If only football was played on a spreadsheet.

I suppose you're equally as pleased with McCarthy's stats in relation to keeping teams up as you are displeased at McGoldricks goals to game ratio.
Mcgoldrick will be a forest player by the end of August on 15:12 - Aug 3 with 3591 viewsitfcjoe

Mcgoldrick will be a forest player by the end of August on 14:48 - Aug 3 by Kropotkin123

We need to take a step backwards, to move forwards. It is reckless not to have a back up plan, and that is the manager's fault.

As for Murphy and McG being good when together, that was part of the point I made. can build a team around a player, who misses circa 40% of the games over the past 4 seasons? That is a real factor that you can't just ignore because it isn't convenient to you overall opinion.

There's a difference between taking a step backwards and falling off a cliff - one can be managed. It can't purely be down to the manager either, there must be an element of blame put on the budget (and the owner)

It's not about ignoring McGoldrick's health - but ultimately he is contracted to us, and not worth a jot so we may as well use him as he is one of our best players in the 60% of games he is available for and get the best out of him

Mcgoldrick will be a forest player by the end of August on 15:56 - Aug 3 with 3565 viewsKropotkin123

Mcgoldrick will be a forest player by the end of August on 15:04 - Aug 3 by Stewart27

If only football was played on a spreadsheet.

I suppose you're equally as pleased with McCarthy's stats in relation to keeping teams up as you are displeased at McGoldricks goals to game ratio.

I'm not going to start qualifying every statistic in the game, and their worth. There is no correlation between the stats you are presenting, and the ones I am, in relation to McG. If you want to make a MM post, then do so, and I will choose to interact with it or not.

I don't think McG scores enough, creates enough, or is fit enough to justify him being a top pro at our club. I was hoping he would be one of the ones that we let go, and this purported interest from Forest would be welcome if it was true. So we can go out there and get someone who is more productive for the team.

on 17:46 - Aug 3 with 3531 views_

Mcgoldrick will be a forest player by the end of August on 18:21 - Aug 3 with 3512 viewsClausThomsen

You say he is selfish in possession but he is our only forward who has the technique to control the "service" he is provided with. At his best he is our best player at keeping possession in the opposition half, and your stats include all those games where he is trying to get fit and not at his best.

Being in the automatic promotion spots with Murphy scoring a ridiculous amount to his season-ending injury and the subsequent drop-off wasn't a coincidence. All this pining for Murphy seems to overlook the fact that Murphy scored far fewer goals without Didsy in the playoff season and only 10 in the season after where McGoldrick barely featured. We need McGoldrick and a striker that can win headers against centrebacks for Mick's tactics to succeed imo.

Hopefully he gets a full season this season, him and Garner could work like it did with Murphy.

#straws
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024