Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
So Martin McGuiness has passed then 06:25 - Mar 21 with 10138 viewsjeera

Ill health possibly paid a large part in his stepping down.

There'll be mixed feelings no doubt on his death.
[Post edited 21 Mar 2017 6:29]

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

So Martin McGuiness has passed then on 10:46 - Mar 21 with 1364 viewstaximan

So Martin McGuiness has passed then on 10:43 - Mar 21 by dryas

Unsurprisingly, this thread demonstrates a general understanding akin to that seen during the Brexit debate.

hug a terrorist
So Martin McGuiness has passed then on 10:51 - Mar 21 with 1362 viewsGuthrum

So Martin McGuiness has passed then on 10:05 - Mar 21 by taximan

so in 20 years time when isis have entered into a peace process, we can forgive and forget their past actions also ??

fantastic

If both sides are not prepared to give a bit to achieve peace, then conflicts like this, like the Balkans, like various situations in the Middle East will continue, perhaps for hundreds of years of killing and counter-killing.

The thing about the Northern Irish process, as with the South African one on which it was based, is that it involved acknowlegement and admission, as well as reconciliation. To some extent forgiving people, but not forgetting or sweeping under the carpet what happened. Neither side would be prepared to accept full punishment for crimes committed and the negotiations would break down (as nearly upset the FARC deal in Colombia).

Do you want peace with compromise or continuation of a bloody and futile conflict in the vain hope of final victory (quite possibly at the price of suppressing the civil rights of a whole section of the populace)?

On a side note, Islamic State will not exist in any kind of meaningful format in 20 years time. Much the same way al-Qaeda (a much more robust organisation in that respect) has withered in the face of setbacks and the growth of rivals.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

So Martin McGuiness has passed then on 10:52 - Mar 21 with 1355 viewsGeoffSentence

So Martin McGuiness has passed then on 09:15 - Mar 21 by brazil1982

Oh, here we are - the first to bring up Cromwell.

as an online discussion grows longer the probability of a comparison with Cromwell approaches 1

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

So Martin McGuiness has passed then on 10:54 - Mar 21 with 1342 viewsDesmond

So Martin McGuiness has passed then on 10:39 - Mar 21 by dryas

"The British"?

An alien term to you brother?
So Martin McGuiness has passed then on 10:56 - Mar 21 with 1333 viewsClapham_Junction

So Martin McGuiness has passed then on 10:52 - Mar 21 by GeoffSentence

as an online discussion grows longer the probability of a comparison with Cromwell approaches 1

Facters' law?
So Martin McGuiness has passed then on 10:59 - Mar 21 with 1316 viewschicoazul

So Martin McGuiness has passed then on 08:34 - Mar 21 by Bluefish

They may not be the same but they are without question both terrorists so therefore they can be compared

"There are no homosexuals. There are only homosexual acts." - Gore Vidal.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

So Martin McGuiness has passed then on 11:08 - Mar 21 with 1287 viewsBluefish

So Martin McGuiness has passed then on 10:59 - Mar 21 by chicoazul

SUQ

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

So Martin McGuiness has passed then on 11:16 - Mar 21 with 1267 viewschicoazul

So Martin McGuiness has passed then on 11:08 - Mar 21 by Bluefish

SUQ

Reject labels brother. Nothing in life is black and white.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Login to get fewer ads

So Martin McGuiness has passed then on 11:19 - Mar 21 with 1251 viewsBluefish

So Martin McGuiness has passed then on 11:16 - Mar 21 by chicoazul

Reject labels brother. Nothing in life is black and white.

Newcastle?

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

So Martin McGuiness has passed then on 12:10 - Mar 21 with 1215 viewsBinner

So Martin McGuiness has passed then on 09:15 - Mar 21 by brazil1982

Oh, here we are - the first to bring up Cromwell.

“Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it” - George Santayana, 1863.

Poll: Last game of the season. You need to win. Would you rather be...

So Martin McGuiness has passed then on 12:40 - Mar 21 with 1161 viewsgtsb1966

So Martin McGuiness has passed then on 06:36 - Mar 21 by GlasgowBlue

There is no doubt that as Chief of Staff of the IRA Army Council he was responsible for some of the worst terror atrocities carried out both in Northern Ireland and the UK mainland.

However, he spent the latter part of his life working for peace and reconciliation in Northern Ireland and it took a lot of courage to bring the hardline members of the IRA to the peace table at the risk of his own life.

You can't ignore what he did as a member of th IRA, but today it's probably best to remember the good he did rather than the bad.

There are people sitting at home today watching the news who must be distraught at listening to people talking about what he did to end the atrocities in Northern Ireland. They'll be the wives with no husband's, husband's with no wives and parents with no children because that evil c*** helped to blow them to smithereens. You try telling those people to remember the good he did.
So Martin McGuiness has passed then on 12:52 - Mar 21 with 1128 viewsRedX

So Martin McGuiness has passed then on 07:16 - Mar 21 by taximan

both terrorists

or freedom fighters as the trendy like to call them

the world is a better place without the both of them

imo

It seems you are an all around thick person on all topics.
So Martin McGuiness has passed then on 12:53 - Mar 21 with 1119 viewstaximan

So Martin McGuiness has passed then on 12:52 - Mar 21 by RedX

It seems you are an all around thick person on all topics.

coming from you that is great

thanks
So Martin McGuiness has passed then on 12:54 - Mar 21 with 1115 viewsBlueLikeJazz

So Martin McGuiness has passed then on 12:40 - Mar 21 by gtsb1966

There are people sitting at home today watching the news who must be distraught at listening to people talking about what he did to end the atrocities in Northern Ireland. They'll be the wives with no husband's, husband's with no wives and parents with no children because that evil c*** helped to blow them to smithereens. You try telling those people to remember the good he did.

I'm not saying I could come to the same conclusions that she has if I was unfortunate enough to be in her position, but I respect her enormously for being able to do that.
[Post edited 21 Mar 2017 12:54]
So Martin McGuiness has passed then on 12:58 - Mar 21 with 1090 viewsGlasgowBlue

So Martin McGuiness has passed then on 12:40 - Mar 21 by gtsb1966

Quite rightly there have been mixed emotions.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-39337760

I doubt I could speak as kindly as Colin Parry or Jo Berry, had I lost a friend or relative to the IRA, but if they are prepared to at least understand that McGuiness contributed to bringing peace in his later life then surely we can do the same on the day he has died.

I don't say that as a friend of the IRA. I wasn't at Brighton in 1984 but I was in Bournemouth 2 years later. And Blackpool. And then again in Brighton just 4 years later. Each time we were what they believed to be legitimate targets. Each time we were turned out of our beds in the middle of the night with another bomb scare.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

So Martin McGuiness has passed then on 13:01 - Mar 21 with 1098 viewsBlue_Order

So Martin McGuiness has passed then on 13:06 - Mar 21 with 1078 viewsgtsb1966

So Martin McGuiness has passed then on 12:58 - Mar 21 by GlasgowBlue

Quite rightly there have been mixed emotions.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-39337760

I doubt I could speak as kindly as Colin Parry or Jo Berry, had I lost a friend or relative to the IRA, but if they are prepared to at least understand that McGuiness contributed to bringing peace in his later life then surely we can do the same on the day he has died.

I don't say that as a friend of the IRA. I wasn't at Brighton in 1984 but I was in Bournemouth 2 years later. And Blackpool. And then again in Brighton just 4 years later. Each time we were what they believed to be legitimate targets. Each time we were turned out of our beds in the middle of the night with another bomb scare.

I fully understand where you and others are coming from. I also understand the hatred for the man too. Maybe I'm blinkered i don't know but i cannot see past a man who was a main player in the slaughter of men,women and children. For me nothing,absolutely nothing , he did in later life can make up for that. I'll leave it there as we all have different opinions and i respect yours and others.
So Martin McGuiness has passed then on 13:20 - Mar 21 with 1044 viewsBlue_Order

It's quite amazing to see the sheer fawning regard these people paying tribute have for political office. McGuinness never repudiated violence, he decided it wasn't working in a particular circumstance, he never apologised for any innocent victims, he refused to. Yet politician after politician and journo after journo are lining up to say "Yes he was violent but" as if he had a redemption moment. The redemption moment would be something like the Combined Loyalist Military Command offering "abject and true remorse". McGuinness never did that.
So Martin McGuiness has passed then on 13:25 - Mar 21 with 1010 viewsSwansea_Blue

So Martin McGuiness has passed then on 10:59 - Mar 21 by chicoazul

"For nine years I worked to change what was hairdressing then into a geometric art form with color, perm without setting which had never been done before" - Vidal Sassoon.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

So Martin McGuiness has passed then on 13:31 - Mar 21 with 981 viewslowhouseblue

So Martin McGuiness has passed then on 13:20 - Mar 21 by Blue_Order

It's quite amazing to see the sheer fawning regard these people paying tribute have for political office. McGuinness never repudiated violence, he decided it wasn't working in a particular circumstance, he never apologised for any innocent victims, he refused to. Yet politician after politician and journo after journo are lining up to say "Yes he was violent but" as if he had a redemption moment. The redemption moment would be something like the Combined Loyalist Military Command offering "abject and true remorse". McGuinness never did that.

moral complexity, eh. damn it.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

So Martin McGuiness has passed then on 13:38 - Mar 21 with 960 viewsBinner

So Martin McGuiness has passed then on 13:25 - Mar 21 by Swansea_Blue

"For nine years I worked to change what was hairdressing then into a geometric art form with color, perm without setting which had never been done before" - Vidal Sassoon.

“The fact is that five years ago I was, as near as possible, a different person to what I am tonight" - Siegfried Sassoon, though might apply to any of us, including Martin McGuinness.
[Post edited 22 Mar 2017 0:46]

Poll: Last game of the season. You need to win. Would you rather be...

So Martin McGuiness has passed then on 13:50 - Mar 21 with 927 viewsjaykay

So Martin McGuiness has passed then on 07:28 - Mar 21 by Benters

This .

i expect you hold churchill in the highest esteem.
he did a lot of terrible things also alot of good,like McGuiness.

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

So Martin McGuiness has passed then on 13:50 - Mar 21 with 919 viewsstickymockwell

So Martin McGuiness has passed then on 12:10 - Mar 21 by Binner

“Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it” - George Santayana, 1863.

‘If it was just the potatoes that were affected, at the end of the day you will pay the price if you’re a fussy eater.’ - Alan Partridge

Give him a ball and a yard of grass
Poll: How many times have you looked at the table since full time yesterday?

So Martin McGuiness has passed then on 13:53 - Mar 21 with 893 viewsbluewein

So Martin McGuiness has passed then on 12:10 - Mar 21 by Binner

"My cats breath smells like cat food" - Ralph Wiggum

Poll: What should you have your gammon with...?

So Martin McGuiness has passed then on 13:55 - Mar 21 with 880 viewsSwansea_Blue

So Martin McGuiness has passed then on 13:38 - Mar 21 by Binner

“The fact is that five years ago I was, as near as possible, a different person to what I am tonight" - Siegfried Sassoon, though might apply to any of us, including Martin McGuinness.
[Post edited 22 Mar 2017 0:46]

Nicely brought back from my inane babbling to something more relevant

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024