Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
It probably is time for a new Cobbold stand 21:34 - Feb 29 with 4883 viewsIllinoisblue

Guessing the new one will take longer than 102 days to build:

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

It probably is time for a new Cobbold stand on 21:47 - Feb 29 with 4013 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Get it supplied flatpack and should be quicker!

Liverpool did well building their new stand behind and over the top of the existing one to enable less disruption of capacity.

Historically, the cost of new stands has been crippling to the club (albeit other circumstances conspiring together haven't helped). Let's hope the current owners are able to avoid those problems.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

It probably is time for a new Cobbold stand on 21:55 - Feb 29 with 3943 viewsMattinLondon

When it was built how was it perceived? Was it quite impressive compared to what other top flight teams had?
It probably is time for a new Cobbold stand on 21:58 - Feb 29 with 3917 viewsIllinoisblue

It probably is time for a new Cobbold stand on 21:47 - Feb 29 by Nthsuffolkblue

Liverpool did well building their new stand behind and over the top of the existing one to enable less disruption of capacity.

Historically, the cost of new stands has been crippling to the club (albeit other circumstances conspiring together haven't helped). Let's hope the current owners are able to avoid those problems.

We should recruit some Amish folk and get them to build it. Have it knocked out in a few days. Lovely job.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

It probably is time for a new Cobbold stand on 22:58 - Feb 29 with 3730 viewsbluefunk

It probably is time for a new Cobbold stand on 21:55 - Feb 29 by MattinLondon

When it was built how was it perceived? Was it quite impressive compared to what other top flight teams had?

It wasn’t like it is now, unless you went to away games you weren’t aware of what another ground was like, because you didn’t see it every other week on TV. It was a major upgrade in the old stand, which went to Foxhall stadium IIRC, and lifted the capacity significantly, especially the seated capacity.
It probably is time for a new Cobbold stand on 23:45 - Feb 29 with 3607 viewsChurchman

It replaced a small stand called the Chicken Run. Built in the early 20c on wasteland adjacent to the cricket//rugby/football pitch (before that the football pitch orientation was left to right in front / over what is now Churchmans). They kept chickens in the stand, hence the name. My dad saw his first game from it and I can just remember it.

The new Portman Stand went up in 71. It looked modern, huge, smart. It was about 75% the size it is now. The ends were extended 74/75, the seating of those being orange. It looked good! Best viewing in the ground if sitting was your thing. It was modern!

Other grounds? Few were as smart as PR. Plenty were bigger, but most were cr@pheaps. At the time, I liked Spurs, adored Highbury but the rest? Nah. Not good.

For the 75 Leeds ground record breaker I stood next to the barriers just in front of the groundsman’s hut under Robson’s hand. God it was packed.

Basically, the stand needs replacing. It’s outmoded from every point of view. Legroom, access, facilities, capacity to use outside football days. It’s just reached the end of its life. After 53 years, it owes us nothing!
It probably is time for a new Cobbold stand on 10:13 - Mar 1 with 3140 viewsBlueForYou

Looks much better without the private boxes!
It probably is time for a new Cobbold stand on 10:24 - Mar 1 with 3098 viewsHelp

Is that standing at the bottom and seats up top
It probably is time for a new Cobbold stand on 10:29 - Mar 1 with 3076 viewsCheltenham_Blue

As I was standing in the SARL on Saturday, I was looking at the seats in the stand with no name/West Stand spelling out 'Love CO-OP' and I started to wonder if they'll be some renovations over there in the summer following on from the work on the Cobbold last summer.

The question I will always have is Ashton say's the Cobbold will be re-developed 'at the right time', the question is when that might be, 2 years in the Prem? 3?

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Login to get fewer ads

It probably is time for a new Cobbold stand on 10:33 - Mar 1 with 3061 viewsBlueschev

Although it's in much need of an update, I'll really miss it when it's gone. Just the sight of it brings back so many good memories. It will feel like a little bit of my childhood has been taken away.
It probably is time for a new Cobbold stand on 10:39 - Mar 1 with 3030 viewsPhilTWTD

Mark Ashton has already said that that's something they're thinking about doing.

Ashton: Never a Perfect Time to Rebuild a Stand 8th Dec 2023 15:34
Town CEO Mark Ashton has revealed that it’s possible that the club could look to start building the new Cobbold Stand behind the existing structure. 5

It probably is time for a new Cobbold stand on 10:44 - Mar 1 with 3010 viewsOldFart71

Memory doesn't serve me well when it comes to who we played on the first game the stand was opened. But what does remain is that on that day I went to PR and stood in the corner where the players tunnel is now looking at the stand. Bobby and Cyril Lea came out and I spoke to him, said "Nice stand , now all you have to do is fill it" Bobby said "Would I do a job for him" Not giving it much thought, him and Cyril left and I stayed 15-20 minutes longer. Just as I was about to leave Bobby came back out and said "Will you do that job for me?" I said " what do you want me to do" Bobby said " My wife wants a French stick" so we got into his big black car and went up to the roundabout near the old St. Mathews Baths, turned right to go down to where the Heart Foundation shop is now. Half way along he dropped me off and I went across the road to Tooks. In the meantime Bobby had driven round past M&S (which wasn't pedestrianised then) pulled up outside Tooks, I handed him the French stick and off he went. I suppose that's my claim to fame and a privilege to have once met a great man.
It probably is time for a new Cobbold stand on 10:56 - Mar 1 with 2948 viewsChurchman

It probably is time for a new Cobbold stand on 21:58 - Feb 29 by Illinoisblue

We should recruit some Amish folk and get them to build it. Have it knocked out in a few days. Lovely job.

If you want a bit of barn raising, it’s hard to beat this from the film Witness. Great bit of music too.

If they could do all that in a day, I think a week is more than enough for a new stand at PR, including a bit of paint and a few seats. How hard can it be?

Get to it Ashton!
It probably is time for a new Cobbold stand on 11:14 - Mar 1 with 2897 viewsOldFart71

Guessing it will take more than 102 days to build ? If it was done by a Governmental department it would take 102 years and cost 50 billion.
It probably is time for a new Cobbold stand on 11:24 - Mar 1 with 2845 viewsflykickingbybgunn

It probably is time for a new Cobbold stand on 23:45 - Feb 29 by Churchman

It replaced a small stand called the Chicken Run. Built in the early 20c on wasteland adjacent to the cricket//rugby/football pitch (before that the football pitch orientation was left to right in front / over what is now Churchmans). They kept chickens in the stand, hence the name. My dad saw his first game from it and I can just remember it.

The new Portman Stand went up in 71. It looked modern, huge, smart. It was about 75% the size it is now. The ends were extended 74/75, the seating of those being orange. It looked good! Best viewing in the ground if sitting was your thing. It was modern!

Other grounds? Few were as smart as PR. Plenty were bigger, but most were cr@pheaps. At the time, I liked Spurs, adored Highbury but the rest? Nah. Not good.

For the 75 Leeds ground record breaker I stood next to the barriers just in front of the groundsman’s hut under Robson’s hand. God it was packed.

Basically, the stand needs replacing. It’s outmoded from every point of view. Legroom, access, facilities, capacity to use outside football days. It’s just reached the end of its life. After 53 years, it owes us nothing!

My family used the old Chicken run stand from 1920's onwards. 

The Earthrolls, Carpenters and Smiths used to meet up at a spot just to the north of the half way line.

At a time when ordinary people did not have phones, meeting up at the same place meant that if another member of your extended family was going to the match, then you would be able to find them.This tradition continued by my Mum and Dad who still had a season ticket in more or less the same place during the 80's, as did I for a while.

I'm Cobbold upper now. Dad would have been amazed at the view.
It probably is time for a new Cobbold stand on 11:34 - Mar 1 with 2796 viewsMetal_Hacker

Ikea do a good range apparently

Poll: If it were one or the other

It probably is time for a new Cobbold stand on 11:59 - Mar 1 with 2713 viewsSharkey

It probably is time for a new Cobbold stand on 23:45 - Feb 29 by Churchman

When it comes to other grounds, the Nest, Norwich's home before Carrow Road. takes some beating for being ramshackle. I think it's the most amazing ground I've ever seen photos of.

It probably is time for a new Cobbold stand on 12:11 - Mar 1 with 2661 viewsbluelagos

It probably is time for a new Cobbold stand on 11:59 - Mar 1 by Sharkey

When it comes to other grounds, the Nest, Norwich's home before Carrow Road. takes some beating for being ramshackle. I think it's the most amazing ground I've ever seen photos of.

Did a bit of reading on that (on a rainy day) a while back. It was basically a big hole in the ground (an old quarry) with a pitch at the bottom and the sides turned into terraces.

Think that wasn't that uncommon a 100 years ago - makes you wonder if it would be a feasible way of building a new stadium - just hollow out a massive hole rather than build huge stands.
[Post edited 1 Mar 14:03]

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

It probably is time for a new Cobbold stand on 12:23 - Mar 1 with 2600 viewsDanny_G

It probably is time for a new Cobbold stand on 11:59 - Mar 1 by Sharkey

The terracing on that cliff is still there. You can see it at the pin here

https://maps.app.goo.gl/gGaUe9BjH8b2JoMs5
It probably is time for a new Cobbold stand on 12:27 - Mar 1 with 2545 viewsmickymills

It probably is time for a new Cobbold stand on 10:24 - Mar 1 by Help

Is that standing at the bottom and seats up top

Yes. The standing was the best bit for me. Stood there from 1972 to 1981 when we had to move as the executive boxes and seating came in.
A lot of fans were packed onto that terrace with at times a near crush, particularly Leeds FA Cup 1975.
It was a terrace made for standing with relatively low angle. The seats bolted onto the concrete terrace in 1981 were never fit for purpose, hence the poor view and lack of leg room today.
It probably is time for a new Cobbold stand on 12:28 - Mar 1 with 2523 viewstextbackup

It probably is time for a new Cobbold stand on 10:33 - Mar 1 by Blueschev

Although it's in much need of an update, I'll really miss it when it's gone. Just the sight of it brings back so many good memories. It will feel like a little bit of my childhood has been taken away.

Was the stand I started in, had a good 7/8 seasons in there with the family before moving to the NS.

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

It probably is time for a new Cobbold stand on 12:57 - Mar 1 with 2407 viewsEssexBloo

It probably is time for a new Cobbold stand on 10:39 - Mar 1 by PhilTWTD

Mark Ashton has already said that that's something they're thinking about doing.

Ashton: Never a Perfect Time to Rebuild a Stand 8th Dec 2023 15:34
Town CEO Mark Ashton has revealed that it’s possible that the club could look to start building the new Cobbold Stand behind the existing structure. 5

Do you think they will get cracking with this if we went up this season Phil?
It probably is time for a new Cobbold stand on 13:31 - Mar 1 with 2308 viewsClapham_Junction

It probably is time for a new Cobbold stand on 12:11 - Mar 1 by bluelagos

Did a bit of reading on that (on a rainy day) a while back. It was basically a big hole in the ground (an old quarry) with a pitch at the bottom and the sides turned into terraces.

Think that wasn't that uncommon a 100 years ago - makes you wonder if it would be a feasible way of building a new stadium - just hollow out a massive hole rather than build huge stands.
[Post edited 1 Mar 14:03]

Lakenheath's ground is the same (a former quarry) and still in use.
It probably is time for a new Cobbold stand on 13:47 - Mar 1 with 2242 viewsChurchman

It probably is time for a new Cobbold stand on 12:23 - Mar 1 by Danny_G

That’s a great picture. There’s actually people in the trees watching if you look closely.
It probably is time for a new Cobbold stand on 13:52 - Mar 1 with 2216 viewsRadlett_blue

Town then had a very small number of seats & think after we were promoted back to the old First Division in 1968, pretty much all the seats were allocated to season ticket holders. The new stand added 3,500 seats & cured that problem.
The aim of our current owners is to make money out of their investment in Town & for that to happen, we would need to get to the PL & I think they will concentrate their investment on that, rather than a hugely expensive stand rebuilding project.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

It probably is time for a new Cobbold stand on 14:10 - Mar 1 with 2149 viewsHelp

It probably is time for a new Cobbold stand on 12:23 - Mar 1 by Danny_G

I used to work right near there and never knew that. I will have to revisit next time I am up that way and take a gander.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024