Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
This is where the asylum system fails 06:29 - Feb 2 with 4832 viewsgtsb1966

Get your asylum application rejected twice and commit a sexual offence but allowed to stay as you say you've converted to Christianity. Then he does this. After committing the sexual offence he should have been removed immediately. I expect Rishi and the press to be all over this one.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-68167793
This is where the asylum system fails on 06:41 - Feb 2 with 2729 viewsBrianTablet

It's an election year. They'll be all over the outliers, pushing war and generally stirring up anger and resentment.

"......Paul Mariner......John Wark...... Brian Tablet...errrrrrr Talbot"
Poll: In a hellish scenario, would you rather...

This is where the asylum system fails on 07:31 - Feb 2 with 2621 viewsPlums

This is where the asylum system fails on 06:41 - Feb 2 by BrianTablet

It's an election year. They'll be all over the outliers, pushing war and generally stirring up anger and resentment.

If only people had any idea who has been in charge of the Home Office through all this time. I reckon if the Strong and Stable guys had got in, it would have been different.

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

This is where the asylum system fails on 07:33 - Feb 2 with 2616 viewsHerbivore

Rishi and his party were in government when all of this happened, so whilst they will no doubt look to score political points from an awful and very rare incident, it's a bit rich when it was the asylum system the Tories have overseen for 14 years that they will claim has 'failed'. That said, if his offense had been serious enough for him to be given a custodial sentence of 2 years he would have been deported, are we saying that any criminal charge justifies someone being deported to a country that is unsafe or would it only apply to particular offences? Where does the line get drawn? And if we had deported him, what if he'd gone on to attack women and children in Afghanistan? Would that somehow be a better outcome because it would have happened far away and we wouldn't have heard about it? Think it's too easy to look for simple answers when stuff like this happens when real life is rarely simple.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

This is where the asylum system fails on 07:42 - Feb 2 with 2585 viewsSwansea_Blue

I doubt you’ll hear a peep about this in the news.

It’s obviously is a failure. Although the othrr replies so far are also valid - stuff like this is election gold for the Tories and other openly xenophobic/racist parties.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

This is where the asylum system fails on 07:46 - Feb 2 with 2565 viewshomer_123

This is where the asylum system fails on 07:42 - Feb 2 by Swansea_Blue

I doubt you’ll hear a peep about this in the news.

It’s obviously is a failure. Although the othrr replies so far are also valid - stuff like this is election gold for the Tories and other openly xenophobic/racist parties.

It's widely reported actually.

Worth noting the frustration the Home Office have noted that this person had this application for asylum rejected and then was convicted of an offence, in the UK, and was then granted asylum.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

This is where the asylum system fails on 07:56 - Feb 2 with 2523 viewsSwansea_Blue

This is where the asylum system fails on 07:46 - Feb 2 by homer_123

It's widely reported actually.

Worth noting the frustration the Home Office have noted that this person had this application for asylum rejected and then was convicted of an offence, in the UK, and was then granted asylum.

I was being sarcastic, given the OP posted a link to the story by the national broadcaster . The rags must be having a field day over it.

Horrible attack though. I don’t understand why people do this sort of thing , especially to women and kids. Utter scum.

And yes, there’s some irony in the Home Office being frustrated!
[Post edited 2 Feb 7:57]

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

This is where the asylum system fails on 08:15 - Feb 2 with 2478 viewsGlasgowBlue

This is where the asylum system fails on 07:33 - Feb 2 by Herbivore

Rishi and his party were in government when all of this happened, so whilst they will no doubt look to score political points from an awful and very rare incident, it's a bit rich when it was the asylum system the Tories have overseen for 14 years that they will claim has 'failed'. That said, if his offense had been serious enough for him to be given a custodial sentence of 2 years he would have been deported, are we saying that any criminal charge justifies someone being deported to a country that is unsafe or would it only apply to particular offences? Where does the line get drawn? And if we had deported him, what if he'd gone on to attack women and children in Afghanistan? Would that somehow be a better outcome because it would have happened far away and we wouldn't have heard about it? Think it's too easy to look for simple answers when stuff like this happens when real life is rarely simple.

You won’t find many people more pro immigration than me. But imo, if you commit a criminal offence of a violent nor sexual nature whilst awaiting the outcome of your asylum application then it should immediately be rejected with no right to appeal.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

This is where the asylum system fails on 08:25 - Feb 2 with 2434 viewslowhouseblue

This is where the asylum system fails on 08:15 - Feb 2 by GlasgowBlue

You won’t find many people more pro immigration than me. But imo, if you commit a criminal offence of a violent nor sexual nature whilst awaiting the outcome of your asylum application then it should immediately be rejected with no right to appeal.

i don't disagree with you. but would you extend that to returning someone to a country in which there was a genuine threat to their life? that's the test the ecj set in 2019. the issue then is (i) there will be people who you can't return because they have no where safe to go, so turning down their asylum application just means you have to issue a series of short-term leave to remain permissions (eg continuing until the taliban go away!); and (ii) people who can't claim to face a threat to life on return still try to argue it in any case and claims and appeals drag on for years with lawyers and campaigners dragging the process out.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Login to get fewer ads

This is where the asylum system fails on 08:49 - Feb 2 with 2347 viewsPrideOfTheEast

This is where the asylum system fails on 08:25 - Feb 2 by lowhouseblue

i don't disagree with you. but would you extend that to returning someone to a country in which there was a genuine threat to their life? that's the test the ecj set in 2019. the issue then is (i) there will be people who you can't return because they have no where safe to go, so turning down their asylum application just means you have to issue a series of short-term leave to remain permissions (eg continuing until the taliban go away!); and (ii) people who can't claim to face a threat to life on return still try to argue it in any case and claims and appeals drag on for years with lawyers and campaigners dragging the process out.

Why would I care if somebody who is making the lives of me and my family materially less safe is forced to leave the country to go somewhere where they are unsafe?

Obviously it’s miles more complex than that but it’s utterly ridiculous that this is allowed.
This is where the asylum system fails on 08:51 - Feb 2 with 2315 viewsBloomBlue

This is where the asylum system fails on 08:15 - Feb 2 by GlasgowBlue

It doesn't work that way, it's based on the threat. In this case (based on the TV news, so could be proved incorrect) he argued he had converted to Christianity and that would put him in danger if he returned.

I personally feel if you're an immigrant and commit a crime then that should override anything else and you should be sent back. If you're in danger in your home country and another country gives you a home, then you shouldn't commit a serious crime.

The Home Office isn't fit for purpose and like many public organisations it should be scrapped and started again. John Reid the Home secretary in 2006 said the same then when they had a load of immigrants who had been realised after serving time in prision for crimes committed and the HO didn't have a clue where they were. Nothing has changed.
This is where the asylum system fails on 08:53 - Feb 2 with 2290 viewsHerbivore

This is where the asylum system fails on 08:49 - Feb 2 by PrideOfTheEast

Why would I care if somebody who is making the lives of me and my family materially less safe is forced to leave the country to go somewhere where they are unsafe?

Obviously it’s miles more complex than that but it’s utterly ridiculous that this is allowed.

You don't have to care but I think there's a question to be asked about whether we want to live in a society where being convicted of a crime not deemed worthy of a custodial sentence should lead to someone's basic human rights being forfeit.

This is where the asylum system fails on 08:55 - Feb 2 with 2279 viewslowhouseblue

This is where the asylum system fails on 08:49 - Feb 2 by PrideOfTheEast

yep that's the dilemma. we can of course put them in prison and treat them the same as any other offender who puts people here at risk. but would you send someone back to a country where there was a high probability of them being killed? and what level of crime would trigger that?
[Post edited 2 Feb 8:58]

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

This is where the asylum system fails on 08:58 - Feb 2 with 2245 viewslowhouseblue

This is where the asylum system fails on 08:53 - Feb 2 by Herbivore

You don't have to care but I think there's a question to be asked about whether we want to live in a society where being convicted of a crime not deemed worthy of a custodial sentence should lead to someone's basic human rights being forfeit.

though the ecj sees the test as a realistic threat to life rather than any wider loss of "basic human rights".

This is where the asylum system fails on 09:00 - Feb 2 with 2215 viewsHerbivore

This is where the asylum system fails on 08:58 - Feb 2 by lowhouseblue

though the ecj sees the test as a realistic threat to life rather than any wider loss of "basic human rights".

The right to life is a basic human right.

This is where the asylum system fails on 09:05 - Feb 2 with 2185 viewslowhouseblue

This is where the asylum system fails on 09:00 - Feb 2 by Herbivore

The right to life is a basic human right.

well yes indeed. but generally human rights (and asylum claims) are defined more broadly than just staying alive - the point here is that in the case of deporting asylum seekers who have committed crimes the ecj have defined the relevant risks very narrowly

This is where the asylum system fails on 09:11 - Feb 2 with 2143 viewsDJR

This is where the asylum system fails on 08:51 - Feb 2 by BloomBlue

It doesn't work that way, it's based on the threat. In this case (based on the TV news, so could be proved incorrect) he argued he had converted to Christianity and that would put him in danger if he returned.

I personally feel if you're an immigrant and commit a crime then that should override anything else and you should be sent back. If you're in danger in your home country and another country gives you a home, then you shouldn't commit a serious crime.

The Home Office isn't fit for purpose and like many public organisations it should be scrapped and started again. John Reid the Home secretary in 2006 said the same then when they had a load of immigrants who had been realised after serving time in prision for crimes committed and the HO didn't have a clue where they were. Nothing has changed.

Properly resourced, the Home Office might have been able to do a better job, but the issue of asylum is a complex one, particularly given the numbers involved, the involvement of the ECHR, and the difficulty of keeping track of people, so I am not sure it is fair to pin the blame on the Home Office, or think the problem would be magically solved by starting again.
[Post edited 2 Feb 9:13]
This is where the asylum system fails on 11:21 - Feb 2 with 2013 viewsRadlett_blue

This is where the asylum system fails on 08:55 - Feb 2 by lowhouseblue

yep that's the dilemma. we can of course put them in prison and treat them the same as any other offender who puts people here at risk. but would you send someone back to a country where there was a high probability of them being killed? and what level of crime would trigger that?
[Post edited 2 Feb 8:58]

"a high probability of them being killed"? Really?
And isn't it highly likely that this character's "conversion" to Christianity was a ruse to enable him to stay in Britain? Or he could have decided to come out as gay. Lots of ways of playing the system.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

This is where the asylum system fails on 11:28 - Feb 2 with 1983 viewsDJR

This is where the asylum system fails on 09:11 - Feb 2 by DJR

Properly resourced, the Home Office might have been able to do a better job, but the issue of asylum is a complex one, particularly given the numbers involved, the involvement of the ECHR, and the difficulty of keeping track of people, so I am not sure it is fair to pin the blame on the Home Office, or think the problem would be magically solved by starting again.
[Post edited 2 Feb 9:13]

Another factor to take into account when it comes to Home Office workload, given the abolition of freedom of movement, is the visas needed for people to come here, which presumably require a lot more checks and the like when it comes to nationals from many countries outside the EU.

In the year to June 2023, immigration to the UK was 1.2 million, of whom 968,000 came from outside the EU. The figure for 2022 as a whole was even higher and a record.
[Post edited 2 Feb 11:43]
This is where the asylum system fails on 11:51 - Feb 2 with 1920 viewsPrideOfTheEast

This is where the asylum system fails on 11:21 - Feb 2 by Radlett_blue

And isn't it highly likely that this character's "conversion" to Christianity was a ruse to enable him to stay in Britain? Or he could have decided to come out as gay. Lots of ways of playing the system.

Indeed. Seems unlikely that he would have been killed if we deported the person in this case, and actually much more likely that he'd have committed further very serious offences here, which he has done.
This is where the asylum system fails on 11:53 - Feb 2 with 1916 viewsblueasfook

This is where the asylum system fails on 07:33 - Feb 2 by Herbivore

Perhaps you'd like to have a violent asylum seeker come stay with you?

Contact the Home Office and let them know you're volunteering.

Elite Poster. TWTD Hottest Poster (1999, 2000, 2001).
Poll: How do you think season will end for us?

This is where the asylum system fails on 11:57 - Feb 2 with 1879 viewslowhouseblue

This is where the asylum system fails on 11:21 - Feb 2 by Radlett_blue

i didn't mean this case but rather the general principle. i don't know what the real risk would be in this case.

This is where the asylum system fails on 12:24 - Feb 2 with 1821 viewsbaxterbasics

It's a sick joke. We've been promised the government would get a grip on this since at least 2010, they have completely failed.

At the same time we are making life harder for many immigrants who are prepared to work and contribute. While scumbags like this one find it all too easy to cheat the system and claim asylum.

It does seem like, to my limited understanding. the only way to deal with these cases properly requires ignoring or withdrawing from whichever international treaties, conventions and courts are being cited as why they get to stay. Herein lies the problem. I don't have the answer.

But we really should have better control of our borders - one of the Brexit bonuses I was promised.

zip
Poll: Your minimum standard of 'success' for our return to The Championship?

This is where the asylum system fails on 12:30 - Feb 2 with 1798 viewsHerbivore

This is where the asylum system fails on 11:53 - Feb 2 by blueasfook

Idiots gonna idiot, I guess.

This is where the asylum system fails on 12:32 - Feb 2 with 1771 viewsHerbivore

This is where the asylum system fails on 12:24 - Feb 2 by baxterbasics

It's a sick joke. We've been promised the government would get a grip on this since at least 2010, they have completely failed.

At the same time we are making life harder for many immigrants who are prepared to work and contribute. While scumbags like this one find it all too easy to cheat the system and claim asylum.

It does seem like, to my limited understanding. the only way to deal with these cases properly requires ignoring or withdrawing from whichever international treaties, conventions and courts are being cited as why they get to stay. Herein lies the problem. I don't have the answer.

But we really should have better control of our borders - one of the Brexit bonuses I was promised.

Withdrawing from international treaties is not the behaviour of a serious, grown up liberal democracy.

This is where the asylum system fails on 12:39 - Feb 2 with 1745 viewsBarcaBlue

This is where the asylum system fails on 11:53 - Feb 2 by blueasfook

There's some decent discussion here and intelligent debate...then there's this.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024