Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The White House attack 3 years on - bbc website 08:18 - Jan 6 with 851 viewsnodge_blue

At the same time, a large majority of Republicans have said it is "time to move on" from 6 January. And only 18% of Republicans believed the attack was violent, which is an eight-point slip from a 2021 survey.

How can this be only 18%. Why does a whopping 82% of half the US population not see or call this out for what it is. And what does that say about our future when some group brain wash can just paint over significant events?
[Post edited 6 Jan 8:19]

Poll: best attacking central midfielder?

The White House attack 3 years on - bbc website on 08:23 - Jan 6 with 809 viewsHerbivore

People were killed and injured and 82% of Republicans don't think it was violent? The partisan politics of the US, which we are increasingly sailing dangerously close to, is toxic and corrosive. People will believe black is white if that's what their side wants them to believe.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

The White House attack 3 years on - bbc website on 08:31 - Jan 6 with 777 viewsnodge_blue

The White House attack 3 years on - bbc website on 08:23 - Jan 6 by Herbivore

People were killed and injured and 82% of Republicans don't think it was violent? The partisan politics of the US, which we are increasingly sailing dangerously close to, is toxic and corrosive. People will believe black is white if that's what their side wants them to believe.

It’s comical if it wasn’t so serious. Even the 8 point slip….oh I’ve had a VAR review and I’m not sure that was punching or assaulting a police officer.

People seem to want to be lead like sheep. I do fear we could be heading for more autocracies. Never thought I’d be saying that ten years ago.

My aunt has a carer from Romania. And she praises Putin. Says Russia never attacks anyone. Reminisces about the days under Ceausescu. Like they all froze in Winter but it wasn’t so bad.

I know some people will believe what they want….but 82%?????
[Post edited 6 Jan 8:38]

Poll: best attacking central midfielder?

The White House attack 3 years on - bbc website on 09:22 - Jan 6 with 621 viewsNthQldITFC

The White House attack 3 years on - bbc website on 08:23 - Jan 6 by Herbivore

Truth and Decency caught a serious disease sometime in the last ten years or so (or at least it metastasised) and parts of the body already seem to be dead. That's even before the secondary disease of aideepfakevideoitis has even really started to take hold.

One of the side effects seems to be a complete lack of shame, and another seems to be a delusion of invincibility and the lack of realisation that you've passed it on to the whole world, which looks increasingly likely to die from it.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

The White House attack 3 years on - bbc website on 10:06 - Jan 6 with 523 viewsCheltenham_Blue

I said, after the 2008 crash that we were on a slippery slope toward populist politics. Greece went bust and we started to see the first signs of nationalist politics in Europe.

That was the beginning of it, and its only accelerated. There is no grey anymore, only black and white, you either 'won' or you 'lost', your either with me or against me, you either agree with me, or you hate me, you're either 'left' or 'right', you're either 'woke' or 'non-woke'. Much of which is fuelled by the use of social media.

I think we are on the road to a major global conflict and no one seems to want to pull back from it.

Happy Saturday!!!

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

The White House attack 3 years on - bbc website on 10:48 - Jan 6 with 468 viewsGuthrum

Of course. The central tenet of populism is a refusal to accept any blame for anything. It's all the fault of the nasty other people oppressing and feeding off us. We've never done anything bad or wrong. Which is understandable - guilt and embarrassment are uncomfortable emotions.

It is, in many ways, a warped mirror view of the campaigns and language of genuinely disadvantaged groups (women, racial minorities, the poor and so on). But in this case it is the loss of former exceptionalism and privilege which is being bewailed. Or, at least, what these people have been led to belive existed historically*.

That's not to say there aren't genuine underlying problems, such as the decline of old industries leading to unemployment and lack of job security, ideological economic failure leading to inflation, or demographic shifts radically changing communities. But these have been hijacked by the power (and wealth) hungry, pointing the finger at groups and ideas other than the actual causes, to easily harness the energy for their own ends.

Take Donald Trump as an example. The least likely hero of the working class ever. But great at blaming other people for stuff. Making his audience feel justified in their resentment, part of a righteous "in-group" rather than members of wider society. Providing promises of easy solutions which never actually come off (if they are even seriously attempted).

* Another key aspect of much populism is the presentation of the past as a golden age of freedom and prosperity, rather than, for most people, the exact opposite.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

The White House attack 3 years on - bbc website on 11:02 - Jan 6 with 454 viewsGuthrum

The White House attack 3 years on - bbc website on 10:06 - Jan 6 by Cheltenham_Blue

I said, after the 2008 crash that we were on a slippery slope toward populist politics. Greece went bust and we started to see the first signs of nationalist politics in Europe.

That was the beginning of it, and its only accelerated. There is no grey anymore, only black and white, you either 'won' or you 'lost', your either with me or against me, you either agree with me, or you hate me, you're either 'left' or 'right', you're either 'woke' or 'non-woke'. Much of which is fuelled by the use of social media.

I think we are on the road to a major global conflict and no one seems to want to pull back from it.

Happy Saturday!!!

The major global conflict has already started. In the Cold War sense, rather than WWII-style (nuclear weapons make the latter too dangerous). Proxy wars breaking out all over the place, or existing conflicts harnessed by outside players.

Alignments being: Russia, Iran and North Korea vs "The West" (inc. Israel); China loosely associated with Russia, but more intent on rivalling the USA plus its eastern and south-eastern neighbours (inc. Australia); India sitting on the sidelines (economically strong but militarily weak), hoping to pick up some pieces.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024