Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Great Carbon Divide 11:49 - Nov 20 with 669 viewsSwansea_Blue

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2023/nov/20/richest-1-account-for-more-c

Super important this. You hear a lot of excusing UK activity because of China or India, when the situation is far more nuanced. There's a lot more that needs to be done here at home and I don't think people realise how much CO2 some groups are generating through lavish lifestyles. Is it really appropriate that the super rich (including footballers) jet off to Dubai (or wherever) multiple times a year, for example?

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

The Great Carbon Divide on 12:08 - Nov 20 with 624 viewsbaxterbasics

This is my exact problem with various measures to 'nudge' the rest of us plebs into lowering our carbon footprints. We are all being told to have fewer nice things while the rich and powerful can carry on regardless, unaffected by increased costs. Meat consumption? Nope, less of that please. Air travel? That's going to cost you more. The convenience and luxury of an affordable private vehicle? Nah, not for you.
[Post edited 20 Nov 2023 12:11]

zip
Poll: Your minimum standard of 'success' for our return to The Championship?

The Great Carbon Divide on 12:38 - Nov 20 with 577 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

I’ve linked before, and can’t be bothered to find it again - but the top 10 billionaires have a carbon footprint bigger than FRANCE. That’s insane, and then they have the audacity to turn up to COP.

Jeff Bezos runs a huge fleet of diesel vans, and flies around in a rocket because he can. He also exports a lot of carbon to China, selling poorly made electronics that nobody needs. Unbelievable front of the guy.

Edit- I wonder what Charlie ‘I care about the environment’ has as an annual footprint. Private jets, helicopters, and a portfolio of aging, and no doubt energy intensive estates. Then the working class are made to feel guilty about the annual holiday to Spain.
[Post edited 20 Nov 2023 12:41]
The Great Carbon Divide on 13:05 - Nov 20 with 539 viewsSwansea_Blue

The Great Carbon Divide on 12:08 - Nov 20 by baxterbasics

This is my exact problem with various measures to 'nudge' the rest of us plebs into lowering our carbon footprints. We are all being told to have fewer nice things while the rich and powerful can carry on regardless, unaffected by increased costs. Meat consumption? Nope, less of that please. Air travel? That's going to cost you more. The convenience and luxury of an affordable private vehicle? Nah, not for you.

And then that disparity between the wealthiest and the rest of us here will be played out further and with tragic effects in poorer countries, where the poorest bear the ultimate cost of crop failures, floods, heat waves, etc.

You don’t want to be at the bottom of the wealth chain. But it’s still a choice for the super rich that many don’t seem to be prepared to make. I could afford to fly regularly, but choose not to. I don’t know how we change that mindset. It’s probably impossible with megalomaniacs like Musk who have space programs as play things.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

The Great Carbon Divide on 14:14 - Nov 20 with 460 viewsGeoffSentence

The Great Carbon Divide on 12:08 - Nov 20 by baxterbasics

The top 1% of humanity by wealth are not necesarilly what you would think of as 'the super rich'.

If you are making a good living in the UK, you will be there or therabouts.

See how you rank here

https://howrichami.givingwhatwecan.org/how-rich-am-i?

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

The Great Carbon Divide on 15:14 - Nov 20 with 432 viewsbaxterbasics

The Great Carbon Divide on 14:14 - Nov 20 by GeoffSentence

The top 1% of humanity by wealth are not necesarilly what you would think of as 'the super rich'.

If you are making a good living in the UK, you will be there or therabouts.

See how you rank here

https://howrichami.givingwhatwecan.org/how-rich-am-i?

Well I'm not quite making the top 10% by that calculation. Poor me!

zip
Poll: Your minimum standard of 'success' for our return to The Championship?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024