Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Opinion polling / Voter ID 18:41 - Feb 7 with 1295 viewsZx1988

Following on from Ryorry's thread about the Retained EU Law Bill, I got to thinking about the Voter ID legislation that has been introduced.

Whilst Labour may well be ahead in the polls, I imagine that their lead might be less if we were to take into account the numbers of people who may find themselves disenfranchised owing to a lack of ID - it seems to be universally agreed that this will impact Labour voters far more than those who vote Tory.

Have any opinion polls been done which take into account this particular fact?

Poll: Stone Island - immediate associations

Opinion polling / Voter ID on 18:49 - Feb 7 with 1253 viewsGlasgowBlue

I don't have an opinion either way, but it's worth noting that 46 out of 47 European countries require voters to provide some form of identification to vote. The UK is the lone exception.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Opinion polling / Voter ID on 18:53 - Feb 7 with 1245 viewsZx1988

Opinion polling / Voter ID on 18:49 - Feb 7 by GlasgowBlue

I don't have an opinion either way, but it's worth noting that 46 out of 47 European countries require voters to provide some form of identification to vote. The UK is the lone exception.

Would it be fair, though, to suggest that the majority of those countries already have legislation concerning mandatory ID cards and suchlike?

( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_identity_cards_in_the_European_Economic_A

With there being no mandatory forms of ID in the UK, and demographics that are more likely to not vote Tory being the most likely to not have ID, it's tough to make any argument against it being a crude attempt to gerrymander upcoming elections.
[Post edited 7 Feb 2023 18:57]

Opinion polling / Voter ID on 18:55 - Feb 7 with 1232 viewsGlasgowBlue

Opinion polling / Voter ID on 18:53 - Feb 7 by Zx1988

Would it be fair, though, to suggest that the majority of those countries already have legislation concerning mandatory ID cards and suchlike?

( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_identity_cards_in_the_European_Economic_A

With there being no mandatory forms of ID in the UK, and demographics that are more likely to not vote Tory being the most likely to not have ID, it's tough to make any argument against it being a crude attempt to gerrymander upcoming elections.
[Post edited 7 Feb 2023 18:57]

Yes, tht's a fair comment. Blair had the right idea to introduce ID cards.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Opinion polling / Voter ID on 18:59 - Feb 7 with 1225 viewsZx1988

Opinion polling / Voter ID on 18:55 - Feb 7 by GlasgowBlue

Yes, tht's a fair comment. Blair had the right idea to introduce ID cards.

It's rather interesting that, back then, it was the Tories who were in the vanguard of anti-ID-card sentiment. How the tables have turned...

I never saw the issue with ID cards (although I did have misgivings about the level of data that might have been held on them) especially as, at the time, a properly-formatted ID-card would have removed the requirement to hold a passport for EU travel.

Opinion polling / Voter ID on 20:44 - Feb 7 with 1146 viewsRyorry

Circulate this as far and wide as poss pls everyone -

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Opinion polling / Voter ID on 20:46 - Feb 7 with 1138 viewsDJR

Opinion polling / Voter ID on 18:59 - Feb 7 by Zx1988

It's rather interesting that, back then, it was the Tories who were in the vanguard of anti-ID-card sentiment. How the tables have turned...

I never saw the issue with ID cards (although I did have misgivings about the level of data that might have been held on them) especially as, at the time, a properly-formatted ID-card would have removed the requirement to hold a passport for EU travel.

What you say in the second paragraph exactly mirrors my views at the time.
Opinion polling / Voter ID on 20:53 - Feb 7 with 1081 viewsDJR

Opinion polling / Voter ID on 18:49 - Feb 7 by GlasgowBlue

That may be true, but the only reason the Tories are doing this is for electoral advantage because there is no evidence that electoral fraud is problem in Great Britain.

Incidentally, Northern Ireland has required voter ID since 1985, perhaps reflecting the tongue in cheek "vote early, vote often".

Voter registration (or lack of it) may also be a problem for Labour.

I am not aware of any polling which attempts to reflect any of this.
[Post edited 7 Feb 2023 20:55]
Opinion polling / Voter ID on 21:00 - Feb 7 with 1051 viewsSwansea_Blue

Opinion polling / Voter ID on 20:53 - Feb 7 by DJR

That may be true, but the only reason the Tories are doing this is for electoral advantage because there is no evidence that electoral fraud is problem in Great Britain.

Incidentally, Northern Ireland has required voter ID since 1985, perhaps reflecting the tongue in cheek "vote early, vote often".

Voter registration (or lack of it) may also be a problem for Labour.

I am not aware of any polling which attempts to reflect any of this.
[Post edited 7 Feb 2023 20:55]

I’ve no problem with the principle, the problem is how it’s being done. Refusing to listen to feedback pointing out it’s too rushed and they need to have a better handle on ID rates first, etc. Bit then if the Tories are doing this out of self interest, which lots of people suspect, they’re not going to listen to advise or do it properly are they. Much like they won’t do asylum properly. Vile barstewards.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Login to get fewer ads

Opinion polling / Voter ID on 21:04 - Feb 7 with 1032 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Opinion polling / Voter ID on 20:44 - Feb 7 by Ryorry

Circulate this as far and wide as poss pls everyone -

I trust that is accepted. I think part of the problem is too many potential voters don't dare enough to go out of their way to get ID or even vote when it wasn't required.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Opinion polling / Voter ID on 21:07 - Feb 7 with 1027 viewsDJR

Opinion polling / Voter ID on 21:00 - Feb 7 by Swansea_Blue

I’ve no problem with the principle, the problem is how it’s being done. Refusing to listen to feedback pointing out it’s too rushed and they need to have a better handle on ID rates first, etc. Bit then if the Tories are doing this out of self interest, which lots of people suspect, they’re not going to listen to advise or do it properly are they. Much like they won’t do asylum properly. Vile barstewards.

The following snippets come from the following link.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2023/jan/31/only-10000-people-in-uk-have-ap

Only about 10,000 people in Great Britain have applied for a government-issued voter ID since the scheme opened, just 0.5% of the total who might need the document, the Guardian has learned.

The slow take-up, which could leave hundreds of thousands of people disfranchised at local elections in England on 4 May, will add to worries that the scheme is being rushed through and could cause chaos.

According to earlier government research, close to 2 million voters do not possess photo ID that has a recognisable picture of them, as is required under the new law. At the current rate it would take eight years to issue the documents to all those who could need them.

A 2021 study by the Electoral Commission found that the proportion of potential voters without usable ID was especially high among more disadvantaged groups, such as 11% for those who were unemployed, and 8% among people with a disability.
Opinion polling / Voter ID on 21:08 - Feb 7 with 1019 viewsDJR

Opinion polling / Voter ID on 21:07 - Feb 7 by DJR

The following snippets come from the following link.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2023/jan/31/only-10000-people-in-uk-have-ap

Only about 10,000 people in Great Britain have applied for a government-issued voter ID since the scheme opened, just 0.5% of the total who might need the document, the Guardian has learned.

The slow take-up, which could leave hundreds of thousands of people disfranchised at local elections in England on 4 May, will add to worries that the scheme is being rushed through and could cause chaos.

According to earlier government research, close to 2 million voters do not possess photo ID that has a recognisable picture of them, as is required under the new law. At the current rate it would take eight years to issue the documents to all those who could need them.

A 2021 study by the Electoral Commission found that the proportion of potential voters without usable ID was especially high among more disadvantaged groups, such as 11% for those who were unemployed, and 8% among people with a disability.

And leaving aside those without photo ID, how many with photo ID will remember to turn up at the polling station with it?
Opinion polling / Voter ID on 21:19 - Feb 7 with 1002 viewsRyorry

Opinion polling / Voter ID on 21:08 - Feb 7 by DJR

And leaving aside those without photo ID, how many with photo ID will remember to turn up at the polling station with it?

Yep, only 65% turnout for 18-34s, as opposed to 90% turnout for over 60s for the 2016 Ref, is probably what swung it for 'Leave'.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Opinion polling / Voter ID on 15:32 - Feb 9 with 864 viewsHARRY10

Latest figures suggest only 4% of 2 million people without useable ID under new election rule will get one before May poll

"Efforts to provide free photo ID to would-be voters who lack it before new election rules are used nationally for the first time in May are still faltering, according to information passed to the Guardian.

At the start of this month, just 10,000 people had applied for a so-called voter authority certificate, issued by councils to those who do not have one of the small list of photo ID documents now needed for people to vote in person.

As of today, a source has said, the total number of applications via a central government website, which are then passed on to councils, is slightly below 16,000, indicating a continued lack of public awareness about the new rules.

Voter ID will be used nationally for the first time in the UK outside Northern Ireland at local elections on 4 May, just 12 weeks away. If the current rate of about 5,000 applications a week fails to pick up, that would mean around 75,000 certificates being issued overall, less than 4% of the official estimate of 2 million voters who do not have useable ID.

The Electoral Commission has already run an advertising campaign about the new system, which has seemingly reached few people, and will be concerned at the idea of very large numbers of people being potentially disenfranchised."
Opinion polling / Voter ID on 15:36 - Feb 9 with 847 viewshype313

Opinion polling / Voter ID on 21:00 - Feb 7 by Swansea_Blue

I don't have an issue with it, however, I wouldn't trust the current Govt to run me a bath, let alone have access to all our data, to then give it to Serco or Atos at the highest bid.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Opinion polling / Voter ID on 15:41 - Feb 9 with 834 viewsZx1988

Opinion polling / Voter ID on 15:32 - Feb 9 by HARRY10

Latest figures suggest only 4% of 2 million people without useable ID under new election rule will get one before May poll

"Efforts to provide free photo ID to would-be voters who lack it before new election rules are used nationally for the first time in May are still faltering, according to information passed to the Guardian.

At the start of this month, just 10,000 people had applied for a so-called voter authority certificate, issued by councils to those who do not have one of the small list of photo ID documents now needed for people to vote in person.

As of today, a source has said, the total number of applications via a central government website, which are then passed on to councils, is slightly below 16,000, indicating a continued lack of public awareness about the new rules.

Voter ID will be used nationally for the first time in the UK outside Northern Ireland at local elections on 4 May, just 12 weeks away. If the current rate of about 5,000 applications a week fails to pick up, that would mean around 75,000 certificates being issued overall, less than 4% of the official estimate of 2 million voters who do not have useable ID.

The Electoral Commission has already run an advertising campaign about the new system, which has seemingly reached few people, and will be concerned at the idea of very large numbers of people being potentially disenfranchised."

My only hope is that a large-scale lack of IDs at the local elections in May will cause enough of a sh*t-storm that it'll be almost impossible to avoid knowing about the need for ID come the next general election.

Opinion polling / Voter ID on 16:10 - Feb 9 with 810 viewsSaleAway

Mrs SaleAway works in comms for a local council. She is tearing her hair out over this. As usual, the councils are being forced to implement bad whitehall ideas, with not enough time, not enough budget, and not enough support.

Its going to be a massive issue in the May elections.

The cost implications of this are huge as well. as Voting stations need more staff, they are also worried about security, because of the chance of someone kicking off if they aren't allowed to vote due to this.

And all to try and disenfranchise a few non-tories.

AS mentioned, no evidence of any electoral fraud that this will combat ( and if you wanted to commit electoral fraud, you can still use your postal vote)

Poll: Which is less impressive?
Blog: Phoenix From the Flames

Opinion polling / Voter ID on 16:34 - Feb 9 with 770 viewsDJR

Opinion polling / Voter ID on 16:10 - Feb 9 by SaleAway

Mrs SaleAway works in comms for a local council. She is tearing her hair out over this. As usual, the councils are being forced to implement bad whitehall ideas, with not enough time, not enough budget, and not enough support.

Its going to be a massive issue in the May elections.

The cost implications of this are huge as well. as Voting stations need more staff, they are also worried about security, because of the chance of someone kicking off if they aren't allowed to vote due to this.

And all to try and disenfranchise a few non-tories.

AS mentioned, no evidence of any electoral fraud that this will combat ( and if you wanted to commit electoral fraud, you can still use your postal vote)

Having been an election agent and polling agent on several occasions, I fully sympathise with Mrs SaleAway and her colleagues.
Opinion polling / Voter ID on 17:09 - Feb 9 with 734 viewsChurchman

Opinion polling / Voter ID on 20:46 - Feb 7 by DJR

What you say in the second paragraph exactly mirrors my views at the time.

I’ve never understood what the objection is to ID cards.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024