Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Mo Farah trafficking story.... 14:17 - Jul 15 with 5191 viewsitfcjoe

....has anyone paid much attention to this?

It's all very strange, and so many holes in story with regards things that have happened, and people who would have known him from a school he now claims to have not gone to, and all his family back home being called Farah including his twin brother who came over with his Dad after his Dad had apparently been killed.

He claimed to have started school when he was 12 after getting out of slavery, but there are interviews previously with people from his primary school that remember him etc.

It's all very strange, he's never had a great relationship with the truth, but why is this all happening now

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Mo Farah trafficking story.... on 14:20 - Jul 15 with 2742 viewsGlasgowBlue

I recall listening to one of his Nike+ guided runs a couple of years ago in which he talked about returning to his village and seeing his twin brother after many years.

Haven't seen the documentary but I had assumed that tale was one that he made up in order to cover what actually happened.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Mo Farah trafficking story.... on 14:24 - Jul 15 with 2718 viewsitfcjoe

Mo Farah trafficking story.... on 14:20 - Jul 15 by GlasgowBlue

I recall listening to one of his Nike+ guided runs a couple of years ago in which he talked about returning to his village and seeing his twin brother after many years.

Haven't seen the documentary but I had assumed that tale was one that he made up in order to cover what actually happened.

Or if it did actually happen because so many holes in it and so many inconsistencies in story that would surely have been flushed out by now - i.e. his mother living in a shack with no running water after 2012 Olympics, and whole village would have had to have been in on the fact he was stolen and trafficked, and given a new name, and then his family in Somalia had all changed their name to this new name etc.......

I just don't see how it would have been kept quiet for so long, and with so many holes in the story again as opposed to him being 'trafficked' here but by a relative and then just starting school and getting on with things here

Mo Farah trafficking story.... on 14:34 - Jul 15 with 2668 viewsSTYG

Mo Farah trafficking story.... on 14:24 - Jul 15 by itfcjoe

Or if it did actually happen because so many holes in it and so many inconsistencies in story that would surely have been flushed out by now - i.e. his mother living in a shack with no running water after 2012 Olympics, and whole village would have had to have been in on the fact he was stolen and trafficked, and given a new name, and then his family in Somalia had all changed their name to this new name etc.......

I just don't see how it would have been kept quiet for so long, and with so many holes in the story again as opposed to him being 'trafficked' here but by a relative and then just starting school and getting on with things here

I have found the whole thing weird and riddled with inconsistencies, but it's also a sensitive subject that you don't necessarily want to get involved in, because it's serious stuff and something that's causing awful pain and suffering to so many.

So to belittle it by suggesting a survivor is not being truthful is a bit dangerous for me, but I also can't see, based on what he's said who the hell, in his situation, releases a 2016 autobiography if he's not ready to tell the truth in 2022.

Surely you just don't write an autobiography, rather than create an entire fictional world and memories that potentially expose you to having the truth you don't want anyone to know for 6 years exposed!

Isn't there also some other controversies around him with his former coach or something too? Didn't pay much attention but most stories like this I read and think how awful and this one just set off alarm bells and a million questions as you say.
Mo Farah trafficking story.... on 14:39 - Jul 15 with 2627 viewsDecageBruce

It has to be true. Surely all the background checks are done before giving out Knighthoods.

I can't think of any Sirs that have been found to have hidden secrets or background lives
Mo Farah trafficking story.... on 14:40 - Jul 15 with 2608 viewsSTYG

Mo Farah trafficking story.... on 14:39 - Jul 15 by DecageBruce

It has to be true. Surely all the background checks are done before giving out Knighthoods.

I can't think of any Sirs that have been found to have hidden secrets or background lives

WARNING: Contains strong irony and some truths that some posters may find upsetting.

How very true. Knighthoods seem to be run by the same company the FA outsources the fit and proper persons test to.
Mo Farah trafficking story.... on 15:06 - Jul 15 with 2485 viewsbluelagos

I watched the documentary and didn't see anything that concerned me / made me think it was a dodgy story at all.

The BBC will have done a shed load of research.

There will be lots of things are maybe unusual compared to life in the west. I know from my time working in Nigeria/Liberia/Malawi - there are often people whose names are confusing - people's names are often way more complex than a simple Firstname Surname model we use.

And I met often people who had no idea of the their date of birth. If you are born "In the bush" (My term) it's unlikely you'll have a local office registering your DOB and/or your full name etc.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Mo Farah trafficking story.... on 15:09 - Jul 15 with 2470 viewsunbelievablue

What benefit is there in him lying about this?

Le meilleur des mondes possibles
Poll: When booking a reservation at a restaurant/bar, do you give...

Mo Farah trafficking story.... on 15:10 - Jul 15 with 2465 viewsitfcjoe

Mo Farah trafficking story.... on 15:06 - Jul 15 by bluelagos

I watched the documentary and didn't see anything that concerned me / made me think it was a dodgy story at all.

The BBC will have done a shed load of research.

There will be lots of things are maybe unusual compared to life in the west. I know from my time working in Nigeria/Liberia/Malawi - there are often people whose names are confusing - people's names are often way more complex than a simple Firstname Surname model we use.

And I met often people who had no idea of the their date of birth. If you are born "In the bush" (My term) it's unlikely you'll have a local office registering your DOB and/or your full name etc.

But there are huge parts of the documentary that covered life in the West that don't stack up with what other people have said over the years, let alone his life story.

Maybe I just find him a very strange and unbelievable character, felt programme tugged on heart strings but just felt a very strange puff piece too often.

Login to get fewer ads

Mo Farah trafficking story.... on 15:13 - Jul 15 with 2444 viewsitfcjoe

Mo Farah trafficking story.... on 15:09 - Jul 15 by unbelievablue

What benefit is there in him lying about this?

I don't know really, but that's not to say there isn't a benefit in lying - we don't know what it could be.

It wouldn't be the first time, like all the stuff with the twin brother he didn't have

Mo Farah trafficking story.... on 15:15 - Jul 15 with 2427 viewsunbelievablue

Mo Farah trafficking story.... on 15:13 - Jul 15 by itfcjoe

I don't know really, but that's not to say there isn't a benefit in lying - we don't know what it could be.

It wouldn't be the first time, like all the stuff with the twin brother he didn't have

I find it easier to doubt someone when I see an obvious benefit in their having lied. Will see how it plays out, as that isn't clear here yet.

Mo Farah trafficking story.... on 15:16 - Jul 15 with 2424 viewsbluelagos

Mo Farah trafficking story.... on 15:10 - Jul 15 by itfcjoe

But there are huge parts of the documentary that covered life in the West that don't stack up with what other people have said over the years, let alone his life story.

Maybe I just find him a very strange and unbelievable character, felt programme tugged on heart strings but just felt a very strange puff piece too often.

Joe, you need to be specific about any inconsistencies.

Remember previously he had "a story" that was basically the cover for the fact he had been illegally trafficked.

If the documentary story is untrue (that he was trafficked) what would he gain from telling it? And are you genuinely suggesting his ex teacher is in on helping him fabricate his new story?

Edited for grammar.
[Post edited 15 Jul 2022 15:17]

Mo Farah trafficking story.... on 15:24 - Jul 15 with 2381 viewsN2_Blue

Mo Farah trafficking story.... on 15:13 - Jul 15 by itfcjoe

I'm sure I'll get downvoted for this and i sometimes question myself for having this view but he is never someone i have warmed to.

He is a fantastic athlete and i'm proud the UK accepted him, gave him a home and helped him become the athlete he is. When he won the golds in London i was delighted for him and it was something very special BUT...

in his interviews, the media, the Salazar coach stuff i just found him a bit difficult to warm to and something just always didn't sit right. It sounds like has gone through hell and i sympathise with that but there is a whole lot that comes across very weird and he doesn't seem to go about this in the right way of setting the record straight but just leaving more questions. It should be the other way round.

Poll: Is it now time to sack Paul Cook?

Mo Farah trafficking story.... on 15:24 - Jul 15 with 2365 viewsSTYG

Mo Farah trafficking story.... on 15:16 - Jul 15 by bluelagos

Remember previously he had "a story" that was basically the cover for the fact he had been illegally trafficked.

If the documentary story is untrue (that he was trafficked) what would he gain from telling it? And are you genuinely suggesting his ex teacher is in on helping him fabricate his new story?

Edited for grammar.

But based on what Joe said, wouldn't this story being true involve him having got many more people involved to fabricate being at school with him?

Does he really not have a twin? Wasn't his autobiography actually named after his twin.

Or is that some part of trying to convince people he wasn't trafficked? By suggesting that he had a twin brother to be mistaken for?
Mo Farah trafficking story.... on 15:31 - Jul 15 with 2331 viewsbluelagos

Mo Farah trafficking story.... on 15:24 - Jul 15 by STYG

But based on what Joe said, wouldn't this story being true involve him having got many more people involved to fabricate being at school with him?

Does he really not have a twin? Wasn't his autobiography actually named after his twin.

Or is that some part of trying to convince people he wasn't trafficked? By suggesting that he had a twin brother to be mistaken for?

I'd politely suggest you watch the doc as it explains it. (Or it did to me anyway)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m001977f/the-real-mo-farah

I thought it a remarkable story, extremely well told and extremely moving. Some people will I am sure not agree, which is fine.

Mo Farah trafficking story.... on 15:34 - Jul 15 with 2288 viewsSTYG

Mo Farah trafficking story.... on 15:24 - Jul 15 by N2_Blue

I'm sure I'll get downvoted for this and i sometimes question myself for having this view but he is never someone i have warmed to.

He is a fantastic athlete and i'm proud the UK accepted him, gave him a home and helped him become the athlete he is. When he won the golds in London i was delighted for him and it was something very special BUT...

in his interviews, the media, the Salazar coach stuff i just found him a bit difficult to warm to and something just always didn't sit right. It sounds like has gone through hell and i sympathise with that but there is a whole lot that comes across very weird and he doesn't seem to go about this in the right way of setting the record straight but just leaving more questions. It should be the other way round.

You aren't alone.

Same with me. I cheered him on at London 2012 and was pleased he won, but he's someone I have never really warmed to.

I cheered Andy Murray on and Tim Henman, but always like Murray and didn't warm to Henman. Can't say I am a fan of Lewis Hamilton in F1 but happy for a British driver to do so well. Steve Redgrave has always annoyed me and so has Paula Radcliffe. Again, I've been happy to see them do well.

Some people come across brilliantly and others don't. It's weird though. I think Djokovic is an absolute tool and then smiled through most of his interview after his Wimbledon win when he came across as completely charming.
Mo Farah trafficking story.... on 15:34 - Jul 15 with 2281 viewsunbelievablue

He always came across as a bit thick to be honest.

Mo Farah trafficking story.... on 15:37 - Jul 15 with 2263 viewsitfcjoe

Mo Farah trafficking story.... on 15:16 - Jul 15 by bluelagos

Edited for grammar.

Ok some specifics here:

Talks about starting at Oriel School here aged 9, plus he writes about it at length in his autobiography:
https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/general/athletics/brian-viner-interviews-mo-

Now says he was effectively locked up in a flat and didn't start school until 12

Doesn't take much searching on social media for people saying how they remember him from there, and proud of him, including teachers - so did he go there or what?

Mail link here so don't need to click on
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11010803/Shabby-ex-council-flat-tough-e

Neighbours remember he loved playing football in the street. ‘He was a very sweet young boy who smiled a lot,’ Angie Skilbeck, 54, ‘I must have known him soon after he came to Britain as I’ve lived on this estate for 31 years.

Farah in documentary: ““I wasn’t allowed to play with any other kids, I wasn’t allowed to be myself,”

Darryl, who grew up with Mo on the rough Oriel Estate said: “He was just one of the gang and a normal kid. We played a lot of soccer together, had fun and just did kids stuff

Similar article here:
https://wstpost.com/shabby-ex-council-on-a-tough-estate-where-young-mo-farah-was

“He never mentioned being unhappy or abused. I’m really surprised that Mo is saying all this now and I’m very confused as to what his life was actually about."

How was he a member of athletics club etc, which he was, if he was a child slave?

May have been edited out for a shorter story in the doc, but when he talks about this woman turning up who was sent by his Mum - how on earth does she find him, when they wouldn't even know his name because he's been given a different one?

Lots of talk back in 2012 and before about how proud people in homeland were off him and in his village, but surely someone would flag up that he has a different name, or would have flagged that up to the journos who went out there after for the origin stories meeting his Mum etc - ina poor country a chance to earn a few quid for literally anyone in the village who knew the truth

I'll leave there for now, but interesting how quiet those like Sean ingle, Matt Lawton and Nick harris are who have followed the dodgy career and been very strong about Salazar etc are being on this

Mo Farah trafficking story.... on 15:38 - Jul 15 with 2235 viewsbluelagos

Mo Farah trafficking story.... on 15:37 - Jul 15 by itfcjoe

Ok some specifics here:

Talks about starting at Oriel School here aged 9, plus he writes about it at length in his autobiography:
https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/general/athletics/brian-viner-interviews-mo-

Now says he was effectively locked up in a flat and didn't start school until 12

Doesn't take much searching on social media for people saying how they remember him from there, and proud of him, including teachers - so did he go there or what?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11010803/Shabby-ex-council-flat-tough-e

Neighbours remember he loved playing football in the street. ‘He was a very sweet young boy who smiled a lot,’ Angie Skilbeck, 54, ‘I must have known him soon after he came to Britain as I’ve lived on this estate for 31 years.

Farah in documentary: ““I wasn’t allowed to play with any other kids, I wasn’t allowed to be myself,”

Darryl, who grew up with Mo on the rough Oriel Estate said: “He was just one of the gang and a normal kid. We played a lot of soccer together, had fun and just did kids stuff

Similar article here:
https://wstpost.com/shabby-ex-council-on-a-tough-estate-where-young-mo-farah-was

“He never mentioned being unhappy or abused. I’m really surprised that Mo is saying all this now and I’m very confused as to what his life was actually about."

How was he a member of athletics club etc, which he was, if he was a child slave?

May have been edited out for a shorter story in the doc, but when he talks about this woman turning up who was sent by his Mum - how on earth does she find him, when they wouldn't even know his name because he's been given a different one?

Lots of talk back in 2012 and before about how proud people in homeland were off him and in his village, but surely someone would flag up that he has a different name, or would have flagged that up to the journos who went out there after for the origin stories meeting his Mum etc - ina poor country a chance to earn a few quid for literally anyone in the village who knew the truth

I'll leave there for now, but interesting how quiet those like Sean ingle, Matt Lawton and Nick harris are who have followed the dodgy career and been very strong about Salazar etc are being on this

Cheers. I'll have a look later (there's a lot there) and maybe give an opinion then if I have one.

Mo Farah trafficking story.... on 15:46 - Jul 15 with 2178 viewsitfcjoe

I think I'm more the opposite, really liked him but like cycling when you start looking closer at athletics it becomes a very difficult sport to like because of the issues re cheating in it and his story so incredible and so out of kilter to everyone else - ie. bang average to world beater that it leaves serious questions.

I've always been fascinated by doping and scandal in sport and devour books and articles on it that maybe I'm just an old cynic now - but he has lied so may times I asssume this is just another one.

It may not be, it may be that he just has told so many previously that it's impossible for them all to tie together - but I assume he just has another book to publish in the summer. I note that the documentary was made by the people who came in to be Salazar's PR firm - maybe Mo wants to try and draw a line under all that and not be associated with the dug side and be this instead

Mo Farah trafficking story.... on 15:47 - Jul 15 with 2161 viewsSTYG

Mo Farah trafficking story.... on 15:37 - Jul 15 by itfcjoe

Ok some specifics here:

Similar article here:

Let's assume everything he has said in 2022 is correct and he was trafficked as alleged.

This can only mean that he released a work of fiction in 2016 that he have no obligation to do and didn't need the money from, where he constructed hundreds of pages of lies of a childhood he never had, presumably with made up anecdotes from people that never existed for what reason?

If he says nothing of his childhood like most celebrities then nobody knows anything. Instead he risks being found out and people digging into something that he clearly didn't want to disclose because of said elaborate work of fiction. That just seems mad to me.

The only possible incentive there is monetary. He doesn't want to say what really happened to him, which is fine, but instead he wants to cash in on making up a completely false life story to profit from it?

The journalists I have seen cover this have said he's either lying about being trafficked (which surely he can't be) or risked being vilified as a fraud at the height of being the nations darling by having people look into a life story that was made up to make money?

Surely if this happens to you either you speak out about it or you keep quiet about your childhood etc?

Very weird indeed.
Mo Farah trafficking story.... on 15:58 - Jul 15 with 2107 viewsLord_Lucan

Mo Farah trafficking story.... on 15:34 - Jul 15 by STYG

You aren't alone.

Same with me. I cheered him on at London 2012 and was pleased he won, but he's someone I have never really warmed to.

I cheered Andy Murray on and Tim Henman, but always like Murray and didn't warm to Henman. Can't say I am a fan of Lewis Hamilton in F1 but happy for a British driver to do so well. Steve Redgrave has always annoyed me and so has Paula Radcliffe. Again, I've been happy to see them do well.

Some people come across brilliantly and others don't. It's weird though. I think Djokovic is an absolute tool and then smiled through most of his interview after his Wimbledon win when he came across as completely charming.

I always liked him - because he seemed a nice guy and he was a Brit and he was a world winner.

I do worry though that he might be a fruit loop though.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Mo Farah trafficking story.... on 16:01 - Jul 15 with 2073 viewsjaykay

Mo Farah trafficking story.... on 14:39 - Jul 15 by DecageBruce

jimmy savile

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

Mo Farah trafficking story.... on 16:02 - Jul 15 with 2070 viewsLord_Lucan

Mo Farah trafficking story.... on 16:01 - Jul 15 by jaykay

jimmy savile

Bullseye!!!!

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Mo Farah trafficking story.... on 16:03 - Jul 15 with 2068 viewsSTYG

Mo Farah trafficking story.... on 15:58 - Jul 15 by Lord_Lucan

I always liked him - because he seemed a nice guy and he was a Brit and he was a world winner.

I do worry though that he might be a fruit loop though.

What if we find out the whole time that he was eating Quorn it was actually just chicken!
Mo Farah trafficking story.... on 16:03 - Jul 15 with 2054 viewsunbelievablue

Mo Farah trafficking story.... on 16:03 - Jul 15 by STYG

What if we find out the whole time that he was eating Quorn it was actually just chicken!

If my Oral B toothbrush turns out to be rubbish I'll be the first to call for his deportation.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024