Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Cricket Day 3 thread 11:05 - Aug 19 with 1249 viewsSteve_M

Good start, Broad with a superb catch that everyone thought was going over him. SA 289/8.

https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/south-africa-in-england-2022-1276896/england

[Post edited 19 Aug 2022 11:12]

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Cricket Day 3 thread on 12:01 - Aug 19 with 1197 viewsFtnfwest

and a good clear up at the end, although they did their best to drop yet another one off him!
Cricket Day 3 thread on 12:15 - Aug 19 with 1184 viewsSteve_M

Cricket Day 3 thread on 12:01 - Aug 19 by Ftnfwest

and a good clear up at the end, although they did their best to drop yet another one off him!

Yes, being 150 behind was about as good as it was going to get with England's first innings score. There's a lot of time left in the match so I would like to think England can at least bat long enough to be 200 ahead and make a match of it.

Cricket Day 3 thread on 12:27 - Aug 19 with 1167 viewsFtnfwest

Cricket Day 3 thread on 12:15 - Aug 19 by Steve_M

Yes, being 150 behind was about as good as it was going to get with England's first innings score. There's a lot of time left in the match so I would like to think England can at least bat long enough to be 200 ahead and make a match of it.

yes was thinking that what they'll have to do. Btw Lashings are playing my local team about 300 yards away from me this pm in a 20/20 with Jofra Archer in the team. Might stroll round and see how he's going later.
Cricket Day 3 thread on 12:53 - Aug 19 with 1149 viewsgordon

Phenomenal Zak Crawley stat - the two with lower averages (named a bit lower in that thread) are Alick Bannerman, an Australian who played in the 1880s, and Javed Omar, a blocker who played for Bangladesh in the first few years after they got test status in the early 2000s.

Cricket Day 3 thread on 13:40 - Aug 19 with 1113 viewsFtnfwest

Cricket Day 3 thread on 12:53 - Aug 19 by gordon

Phenomenal Zak Crawley stat - the two with lower averages (named a bit lower in that thread) are Alick Bannerman, an Australian who played in the 1880s, and Javed Omar, a blocker who played for Bangladesh in the first few years after they got test status in the early 2000s.

In fairness to the bloke he isn't an opener which is half the problem, but its more than time he disappeared back to county cricket.
Cricket Day 3 thread on 13:47 - Aug 19 with 1104 viewscatch74

Cricket Day 3 thread on 13:40 - Aug 19 by Ftnfwest

In fairness to the bloke he isn't an opener which is half the problem, but its more than time he disappeared back to county cricket.

Ron Key needs to come to terms with that. Plenty of options knocking on the door.
I’m trying to come up with an ITFC analogy, maybe MM and Douglas - although he was in the twilight of his career.

Poll: Who are the Numbskulls?

Cricket Day 3 thread on 14:58 - Aug 19 with 1069 viewsgainsboroughblue

Did someone on here have tickets for tomorrow? Absolute shambles of a performance, especially allowing for half of a day not even played.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

Cricket Day 3 thread on 15:16 - Aug 19 with 1057 viewsSteve_M

Cricket Day 3 thread on 12:27 - Aug 19 by Ftnfwest

yes was thinking that what they'll have to do. Btw Lashings are playing my local team about 300 yards away from me this pm in a 20/20 with Jofra Archer in the team. Might stroll round and see how he's going later.

A better option than paying attention to any more of this Test. Hadn’t seen the score for a while but just FFS.

It’s been a really good idea to have so little red ball cricket in the middle of Summer. Everything subsumed in the pointlessness of the Hundred.

Login to get fewer ads

Cricket Day 3 thread on 15:20 - Aug 19 with 1041 viewsChrisd

England getting horribly exposed by a very good South African side. The Saffers bowling unit is very impressive with so much variety - A pity ours remains so predictable. A loss might actually be a good thing and force a couple of changes in the England side for the 2nd test.
[Post edited 19 Aug 2022 15:31]

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Cricket Day 3 thread on 16:16 - Aug 19 with 996 viewsZXBlue

Cricket Day 3 thread on 15:20 - Aug 19 by Chrisd

England getting horribly exposed by a very good South African side. The Saffers bowling unit is very impressive with so much variety - A pity ours remains so predictable. A loss might actually be a good thing and force a couple of changes in the England side for the 2nd test.
[Post edited 19 Aug 2022 15:31]

Yes, SA are good. But that was pathetic.

This "new approach" is all very well, but appears entirely reliant on Bairstow or Root making 150 plus. The fundamental problems remain. Need people who can bat properly against decent bowling.
[Post edited 19 Aug 2022 16:19]
Cricket Day 3 thread on 18:30 - Aug 19 with 943 viewsChrisd

Cricket Day 3 thread on 16:16 - Aug 19 by ZXBlue

Yes, SA are good. But that was pathetic.

This "new approach" is all very well, but appears entirely reliant on Bairstow or Root making 150 plus. The fundamental problems remain. Need people who can bat properly against decent bowling.
[Post edited 19 Aug 2022 16:19]

I agree. Although the test wins earlier in the summer were a huge shot in the arm, the same old deficiencies of the team were highlighted during those victories at times, but we managed to overcome them. The batting looked fragile again today and I’ve said it before about our bowling, it lacks variety it’s all pretty much of a muchness apart from Leach’s left arm spin bowling. It will be interesting to see the team selection and how we react in the 2nd test, but the same old problems are clearly still there.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Cricket Day 3 thread on 19:18 - Aug 19 with 920 viewsstonojnr

Englands combined 1st and 2innings amount of balls/overs faced (496 balls/82.4 overs) is just 4 balls more than Michael Atherton himself faced (492 balls) back in the Johannesburg test in 1995, with the likes of Allan Donald bowling at him on a fast pitch, to secure a draw.
Cricket Day 3 thread on 19:33 - Aug 19 with 868 viewsbournemouthblue

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Cricket Day 3 thread on 20:52 - Aug 19 with 846 viewsBlueForYou

I was there yesterday. Thanks for the travel advice btw, we took the Stratford option, it was ok but a pig to get away from. A day at Lords is always a delight. As for the game, I agree with a comment I saw online about the team warm ups. South Africa were really together, fit & athletic, & did a 20 min fielding drill which was so organised & involved everyone. England on the opposite side of the field just kicked a football around like a disorganised group of school kids. All those watching around me said the same & as the day developed, South Africa continued in their tight togetherness whereas we looked a bit of a shambles all over. Our bowling was poor, particularly Broad & Potts, for whom discipline was so bad they wasted five balls out of six. Our best bowler by far was a 40 year old. South Africa made us play most balls, I could have batted against our bowlers. The indiscipline carried over into today’s batting. No surprise who the winners were. We won’t win this series, they are by miles the better team. You don’t see a lot of these things on TV. We need someone to replace Crawley, probably move Bairstow back to 6 or 7 & to keep, to make way for Brook who has to play. Also desperately need a bowling all rounder at 8. Broad was absolutely terrible yesterday & Potts close behind.
Cricket Day 3 thread on 22:24 - Aug 19 with 822 viewsgainsboroughblue

Stokes' post game comments annoyed me. All this 'We won't change our approach' stuff. It was the absolute basics of the game that cost us here. Basics that SA displayed in our own backyard and totally whipped us.

Not taking anything away from earlier this summer, but when England get it wrong, they look village. You don't often see England lose tight games, when they lose, they tend to be destroyed.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

Cricket Day 3 thread on 23:08 - Aug 19 with 779 viewsMelford

What a shot day of cricket, Essex and Yorkshire lost and England got torn a new arsehole by the Saffers. If not for the rain on day one it would have been a 2 day game. This "Bazball" b0llocks can only go so far, it's naive and stupid to think you can play the same way in any conditions against any opponent and it's going to come off. Sometimes you have to dig in and spend time at the crease and grind out hard runs and bat time, it's a 5 day game. It's utterly brainless just sending everyone out to smack it about every time no matter the game situation. The opening batsmen need changing in both personnel and mentality, Crawley is a disaster. A walking wicket who is only in the team because his dad Terry the till has bunged a lot of money at Kent CCC over the years and is Rob Key's mate, Lees has been ***ked because he's a solid opener who has been asked to go out and smack it about and that's not his natural game. Whatever pyrotechnics go on in the middle order, scoring at crazy rates you need a pair of solid opening batsmen who can see the new ball off and the opening bowlers when they're at their most fittest and pumped so they're coming in at 89/1 after lunch rather than 11.20 when we're 20/2. I'd bring back Sibley and Burns to play a proper openers innings and grind it out for the first session, once they've done their bit in seeing new ball and tiring the bowlers out then you have the perfect platform for "Bazball".

Dragging TWTD into the gutter since 2009
Poll: What do you call this site?

Cricket Day 3 thread on 10:39 - Aug 20 with 679 viewsRadlett_blue

Cricket Day 3 thread on 14:58 - Aug 19 by gainsboroughblue

Did someone on here have tickets for tomorrow? Absolute shambles of a performance, especially allowing for half of a day not even played.

I was at Lord's on Tuesday, arrived after 50 minutes play thanks to both Thameslink & the Jubilee Line (I can expand on that if anyone is interested). So I saw about 20 overs play (not all the fault of MCC) for my £120 & as 30 overs had been bowled during the day, not even a partial refund.
I have had better days. The highlight was sneaking a couple of illicit cans of beer past the stewards.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Cricket Day 3 thread on 15:25 - Aug 20 with 603 viewsBlueForYou

Cricket Day 3 thread on 10:39 - Aug 20 by Radlett_blue

I was at Lord's on Tuesday, arrived after 50 minutes play thanks to both Thameslink & the Jubilee Line (I can expand on that if anyone is interested). So I saw about 20 overs play (not all the fault of MCC) for my £120 & as 30 overs had been bowled during the day, not even a partial refund.
I have had better days. The highlight was sneaking a couple of illicit cans of beer past the stewards.

You’re allowed to take in two beers or a bottle of wine/champagne at Lords. The only Test venue that allows it. Great competition around me seeing who could pop the champagne cork the furthest! Always a great day out at Lords.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024