Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
It is time to change the "English' National Anthem? 17:17 - Aug 1 with 833 viewsKeno

surely Sweet Caroline would be much better

Poll: Where will be finish next season
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

It is time to change the "English' National Anthem? on 17:20 - Aug 1 with 803 viewsParky

Poor effort, surely not getting any from this😂
It is time to change the "English' National Anthem? on 17:31 - Aug 1 with 773 viewsKeno

It is time to change the "English' National Anthem? on 17:20 - Aug 1 by Parky

Poor effort, surely not getting any from this😂

it was worth a try

Poll: Where will be finish next season
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

It is time to change the "English' National Anthem? on 17:32 - Aug 1 with 770 viewsdominiciawful

Jerusalem, innit.

Poll: Which manager of the Marcus Evans era do you dislike the most?

It is time to change the "English' National Anthem? on 17:47 - Aug 1 with 741 viewsfactual_blue

It isn't a National Anthem; it's a Royal Anthem.

Not a single word in it about the actual country.

It's an exercise in sycophancy to the ruling Anglo-Norman elite*

*(with a bit of a German thrown in to ensure the Protestant succession)

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

It is time to change the "English' National Anthem? on 19:24 - Aug 1 with 647 viewsEdmundo

It is time to change the "English' National Anthem? on 17:32 - Aug 1 by dominiciawful

Jerusalem, innit.

That'd always bugged me: the National Anthem played at a lot of England games is "God Save the Queen", but that's the National Anthem of Great Britain/UK. Jerusalem is the English NA. To play the former is arguably to show England to be highly arrogant/not bothered whether it's GB or England.

Poll: Will our competitors in the Championship "find us out" in 2nd half of season
Blog: Blue Sky Thinking

It is time to change the "English' National Anthem? on 19:27 - Aug 1 with 636 viewsDinDjarin

It is time to change the "English' National Anthem? on 19:24 - Aug 1 by Edmundo

That'd always bugged me: the National Anthem played at a lot of England games is "God Save the Queen", but that's the National Anthem of Great Britain/UK. Jerusalem is the English NA. To play the former is arguably to show England to be highly arrogant/not bothered whether it's GB or England.

They play Jerusalem at the Olympics and is much better.
It is time to change the "English' National Anthem? on 19:29 - Aug 1 with 635 viewsSwansea_Blue

It is time to change the "English' National Anthem? on 17:32 - Aug 1 by dominiciawful

Jerusalem, innit.

No, England. Jerusalem’s further east. This is basic stuff!

Although, much like England, there’s a strong case for two different anthems for those in Jerusalem. I suspect that’s the end of the similarities though.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

It is time to change the "English' National Anthem? on 19:57 - Aug 1 with 602 viewsrattram

It is time to change the "English' National Anthem? on 19:24 - Aug 1 by Edmundo

The National Anthem being played at sporting events should be for British teams.
Scotland; Northern Ireland and Wales have their own anthems as heard at Commonwealth Games. Jerusalem should be England's anthem. I think Flower of Scotland is a bit of a dirge though. Caledonia by Dougie McLean is far better.
Login to get fewer ads

It is time to change the "English' National Anthem? on 20:48 - Aug 1 with 560 viewsSwansea_Blue

It is time to change the "English' National Anthem? on 19:57 - Aug 1 by rattram

The National Anthem being played at sporting events should be for British teams.
Scotland; Northern Ireland and Wales have their own anthems as heard at Commonwealth Games. Jerusalem should be England's anthem. I think Flower of Scotland is a bit of a dirge though. Caledonia by Dougie McLean is far better.

It’s difficult to understate how much some people in the UK hate GSTQ and the UK in general. I’m in the middle of a blazing 2-day long row with the Mrs as I put the UK identifiers on our number plate ahead of a trip to France. Bonkers. Tiny little stickers that you need but you can just ignore (you can’t see the bloody things when you’re in the car). As bad as the Brexit flag shaggers. Nationalism can be a cancer at times.

Not sure what this has got to do with anthems though, other than some people would prefer no UK and thus no UK anthem!

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024