Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Dutch approach to helping those who are unvaccinated 09:01 - Jan 6 with 774 viewsbluelagos

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/jan/05/covid-vaccination-doubt-line-recei

Bit more likely to get results than the mandates, marginalisation and stigmatisation some ccountries are proposing.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Dutch approach to helping those who are unvaccinated on 09:11 - Jan 6 with 704 viewsMookamoo

Communication has been terrible throughout. There are the Reality Checks on the BBC website but I can't remember seeing any real official mainstream campaigns to counteract the miss-information. I guess they have taken the view that engaging with any 'alternative' theories somehow legitimises them.

We just need to get everyone to watch the Royal Institution Christmas Lecture with Jonathan Van Tam.
Dutch approach to helping those who are unvaccinated on 09:15 - Jan 6 with 681 viewsGuthrum

That individualised setup is going to be more effective in a lot of cases, where people with doubts (particularly around personal health issues) don't want to put their heads above the parapet in public for fear of being criticised as anti-vaxxers.

But it does rely on them approaching the system and is therefore limited in its reach. There needs to be an element of push as well as pull, in order to get as many waverers as possible to take steps to allay their concerns.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Dutch approach to helping those who are unvaccinated on 09:17 - Jan 6 with 669 viewsSwansea_Blue

Dutch approach to helping those who are unvaccinated on 09:11 - Jan 6 by Mookamoo

Communication has been terrible throughout. There are the Reality Checks on the BBC website but I can't remember seeing any real official mainstream campaigns to counteract the miss-information. I guess they have taken the view that engaging with any 'alternative' theories somehow legitimises them.

We just need to get everyone to watch the Royal Institution Christmas Lecture with Jonathan Van Tam.

There probably can't be a mainstream campaign as Johnson is reliant on the crackpots in the ERG to prop him up and the money from their ultimate backers. See also Brexit, environmental standards, etc. Any sensible discussions or actions around pretty much everything are off the table if they conflict with the libertarianism at any cost mob.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Dutch approach to helping those who are unvaccinated on 09:37 - Jan 6 with 592 viewshomer_123

Dutch approach to helping those who are unvaccinated on 09:15 - Jan 6 by Guthrum

That individualised setup is going to be more effective in a lot of cases, where people with doubts (particularly around personal health issues) don't want to put their heads above the parapet in public for fear of being criticised as anti-vaxxers.

But it does rely on them approaching the system and is therefore limited in its reach. There needs to be an element of push as well as pull, in order to get as many waverers as possible to take steps to allay their concerns.

Something like using nudge tactics.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Dutch approach to helping those who are unvaccinated on 09:43 - Jan 6 with 570 viewsbluelagos

Dutch approach to helping those who are unvaccinated on 09:15 - Jan 6 by Guthrum

I think trust in public messaging is a huge issue. Why people dont trust those in authority is down to the individual, but lots of people will have experience of dishonesty/prejudice and worse from public bodies in the past.

To an extent that will always be so, but building trust in public health messaging has to be the answer for me, being a hippy and not loving of the authoritarian approaches.

Dutch approach to helping those who are unvaccinated on 09:56 - Jan 6 with 525 viewsbluelagos

Dutch approach to helping those who are unvaccinated on 09:37 - Jan 6 by homer_123

Something like using nudge tactics.

Without wishing to argue against myself, the one problem with nudge tactics is they take too long if we need people to get vaccinated sooner...

Behaviour / attitude changes takes years, sometimes decades ordinarily, see attitudes to drink driving.

Dutch approach to helping those who are unvaccinated on 09:59 - Jan 6 with 516 viewsfabian_illness

That photo has the Norfolk spelling for ‘telephone’, so I’m not 100% sure they know what they’re doing.
Dutch approach to helping those who are unvaccinated on 10:12 - Jan 6 with 478 viewshomer_123

Dutch approach to helping those who are unvaccinated on 09:56 - Jan 6 by bluelagos

Without wishing to argue against myself, the one problem with nudge tactics is they take too long if we need people to get vaccinated sooner...

Behaviour / attitude changes takes years, sometimes decades ordinarily, see attitudes to drink driving.

Yep but that is, generally, only how you get 'lasting' change. When it is behavioral change, as opposed to being 'forced'.

Macron over in France is going full on to 'piss off' those that aren't vaccinated. That's fine but is very short termism and the potential backlash is it hurts views on public health in the long term....a very very difficult thing to balance.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Login to get fewer ads

Dutch approach to helping those who are unvaccinated on 10:15 - Jan 6 with 467 viewsMookamoo

Dutch approach to helping those who are unvaccinated on 09:43 - Jan 6 by bluelagos

I think trust in public messaging is a huge issue. Why people dont trust those in authority is down to the individual, but lots of people will have experience of dishonesty/prejudice and worse from public bodies in the past.

To an extent that will always be so, but building trust in public health messaging has to be the answer for me, being a hippy and not loving of the authoritarian approaches.

A huge number of those who were willing to engage have stopped watching the news conferences with Johnson for various reasons now, mainly because they don't trust him. I think people still trust Whitty/JVT etc but just can't stomach hearing about the facts and figures anymore, especially when presented on PowerPoint.

Where is the weekly bulletin fronted by someone like Michael Mosley, or a trusted pubic figure (my vote would go to Floella Benjamin...) that could go through the miss-information and help examine why it is being touted as fact. Get someone engaging with a scientific background and partner them up with a helpful idiot who can ask the dumb questions. Much like the Infinite Monkey Cage podcast for anyone who has listened to it.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024