Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I know I'm in a minority..... 10:54 - Oct 4 with 7017 viewsblueysbackside

....but the season for me started when Morsy and Celina were fit - and Cook was able to field what is arguably his strongest XI. What took place last season and early this season is an irrelevance to me - and I've posted before the reasons why. What he needs now is until Xmas to get this lot into a well-oiled winning machine. If we're still where we are now, I'll admit defeat. Until, then, however, he's still the man for me.
I know I'm in a minority..... on 10:56 - Oct 4 with 3331 viewsElderGrizzly

Morsy was bought in the last hour of the window.

Was Cook's plans really based entirely on getting someone who wasn't available until transfer deadline day?
I know I'm in a minority..... on 10:59 - Oct 4 with 3302 viewsblueysbackside

I know I'm in a minority..... on 10:56 - Oct 4 by ElderGrizzly

Morsy was bought in the last hour of the window.

Was Cook's plans really based entirely on getting someone who wasn't available until transfer deadline day?

He may well have targeted him in August, we don't know. He may have been the first player he wanted when he sat with Ashton for talks on new signings. Now that he has him - and others - I wait to see a reaction. I'd go as far as to say he - and AShton - were willing to write off the first month of the season until all the outgoings and incomings took place. I wouldn't be surprised if Cook lasts the whole season.
I know I'm in a minority..... on 11:10 - Oct 4 with 3229 viewsSteve_M

Nope, we don't get to write off eight matches like that. No-one else in the league is going to afford us that courtesy.

And that is eight matches on top of the 16 last season that we didn't perform in under Cook.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

I know I'm in a minority..... on 11:12 - Oct 4 with 3218 viewshype313

They both played on Saturday in one of our most abject performances in the past few years and there is a lot of competition for that title.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

I know I'm in a minority..... on 11:13 - Oct 4 with 3215 viewsHerbivore

Unfortunately in the real world the season started on the 7th of August, by which time we'd already put together a squad more than strong enough to be challenging at the top end of the table.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

I know I'm in a minority..... on 11:15 - Oct 4 with 3197 viewsjayessess

I know I'm in a minority..... on 10:59 - Oct 4 by blueysbackside

He may well have targeted him in August, we don't know. He may have been the first player he wanted when he sat with Ashton for talks on new signings. Now that he has him - and others - I wait to see a reaction. I'd go as far as to say he - and AShton - were willing to write off the first month of the season until all the outgoings and incomings took place. I wouldn't be surprised if Cook lasts the whole season.

I'm still happy to give Cook a bit more time, but this reasoning is just bizarre to me. Cook will be near enough the best paid coach in the division and you're telling me we can only expect him to win football matches if we give him the exact perfect squad, with every single player fit and firing?

That not what a good manager is for me. A good manager has the ability to improve players, put together teams that are greater than the sum of their parts, to make plans that overcome the shortcomings of individuals and allow for occasional absences.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

I know I'm in a minority..... on 11:24 - Oct 4 with 3144 viewshomer_123

'What took place last season and early this season is an irrelevance to me...'

Really? I find that disturbingly worrying.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

I know I'm in a minority..... on 11:27 - Oct 4 with 3113 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

I know I'm in a minority..... on 11:24 - Oct 4 by homer_123

'What took place last season and early this season is an irrelevance to me...'

Really? I find that disturbingly worrying.

Agreed.

All these 'free passes' are becoming a joke.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Login to get fewer ads

I know I'm in a minority..... on 11:29 - Oct 4 with 3111 viewsDarth_Koont

I agree to an extent. And certainly about last season.

But if we weren’t where the team needed to be in the first two months of this season then we perhaps needed a Plan B.

Morsy has made us better and more solid looking in recent weeks, as has Donacien helping settle the backline. Now we probably need to do something with the other CM and/or the front 4 to make us a bit tighter.

Perhaps an El Mizouni to really make CM a dominant and disruptive pairing? Or Harper giving us a bit more size and strength in the three behind Bonne? Or Pigott to play behind Bonne? Don’t know the answer but we’re certainly not seeing the dominance and/or threat on the ball that justifies a front 4 that leaves us stretched in defence and doesn’t keep the ball long enough to let the team push up. Might well need a rethink for away games where they’ve struggled to get into the game much more.

Pronouns: He/Him

I know I'm in a minority..... on 11:33 - Oct 4 with 3086 viewsHerbivore

I know I'm in a minority..... on 11:29 - Oct 4 by Darth_Koont

I agree to an extent. And certainly about last season.

But if we weren’t where the team needed to be in the first two months of this season then we perhaps needed a Plan B.

Morsy has made us better and more solid looking in recent weeks, as has Donacien helping settle the backline. Now we probably need to do something with the other CM and/or the front 4 to make us a bit tighter.

Perhaps an El Mizouni to really make CM a dominant and disruptive pairing? Or Harper giving us a bit more size and strength in the three behind Bonne? Or Pigott to play behind Bonne? Don’t know the answer but we’re certainly not seeing the dominance and/or threat on the ball that justifies a front 4 that leaves us stretched in defence and doesn’t keep the ball long enough to let the team push up. Might well need a rethink for away games where they’ve struggled to get into the game much more.

Morsy has only played two league games, one of which we lost limply and the other of which was against a really poor Doncaster side. It's far too soon to say he's made us more solid.

I know I'm in a minority..... on 11:42 - Oct 4 with 3012 viewsDarth_Koont

I know I'm in a minority..... on 11:33 - Oct 4 by Herbivore

Morsy has only played two league games, one of which we lost limply and the other of which was against a really poor Doncaster side. It's far too soon to say he's made us more solid.

Well, so far, watching him he has. He’s been much tidier on and off the ball than Evans or Harper have been.

But as I say in my post that’s not enough for the team as a whole and we need to think about his CM partner and/or how we get a net gain out of the front 4.

I know I'm in a minority..... on 11:48 - Oct 4 with 2953 viewsHerbivore

I know I'm in a minority..... on 11:42 - Oct 4 by Darth_Koont

Well, so far, watching him he has. He’s been much tidier on and off the ball than Evans or Harper have been.

But as I say in my post that’s not enough for the team as a whole and we need to think about his CM partner and/or how we get a net gain out of the front 4.

I don't think you can say he has made us more solid. What's that based on? It's a two game sample, one of which was a loss to Accrington in which we showed a familiar soft underbelly. The other was a home game against a knackered, bottom of the table Doncaster who showed about as much threat as a fluffy kitten that's been de-clawed. I think for the more positive fans, there's an awful lot of confusing what we want to be the case with what has actually been happening.

I know I'm in a minority..... on 11:49 - Oct 4 with 2944 viewsblueysbackside

I know I'm in a minority..... on 11:27 - Oct 4 by Marshalls_Mullet

Agreed.

All these 'free passes' are becoming a joke.

Hi Homer. What I find more worrying are those among the fanbase who want him out and are moaning about ‘free passes’. He needs time. The season is 10 games old. The green shoots of recovery were shown at Lincoln. No surprise that coincided with Celina’s return. And then the 6-0. Yes a blip (another one) at the weekend. We need to show patience
I know I'm in a minority..... on 11:54 - Oct 4 with 2912 viewsblueysbackside

I know I'm in a minority..... on 11:13 - Oct 4 by Herbivore

Unfortunately in the real world the season started on the 7th of August, by which time we'd already put together a squad more than strong enough to be challenging at the top end of the table.

19 new players and you say we should be challenging for honours. Why? So we deserve to go up cos we have the strongest squad in Lg 1? That ‘great players’ equals ‘great team’ doesn’t cut it with me. What is ole Gunnar S who was saying on saturday that it will take time for Sancho to adapt to a new club? I know it isnt the greatest example but we have 19 new boys.
I know I'm in a minority..... on 12:00 - Oct 4 with 2859 viewstextbackup

Had those two not arrived on deadline day where would we be?
Pretty terrible planning/recruiting if everything were to down to two blokes we didn’t start the season with imo.

I’m gutted we’ve started how we have, but at the same time I’m not giving up on PC or the chance of promotion this year… why? Because I’m so fed up with questioning every manager we have, I just want to be a supporter currently. I spend too much time thinking about Town. So yeah he might be the wrong man, we might not go up, but for me whatever

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

I know I'm in a minority..... on 12:00 - Oct 4 with 2859 viewsHerbivore

I know I'm in a minority..... on 11:54 - Oct 4 by blueysbackside

19 new players and you say we should be challenging for honours. Why? So we deserve to go up cos we have the strongest squad in Lg 1? That ‘great players’ equals ‘great team’ doesn’t cut it with me. What is ole Gunnar S who was saying on saturday that it will take time for Sancho to adapt to a new club? I know it isnt the greatest example but we have 19 new boys.

And Wigan have 15 new players and are in the top 2. The bottom two divisions are characterised by high squad turnover. The aim this season was promotion, we're a few bad results from being able to kiss that goodbye. Should that happen, Cook has failed and has to go.

I know I'm in a minority..... on 12:04 - Oct 4 with 2824 viewsDarth_Koont

I know I'm in a minority..... on 11:48 - Oct 4 by Herbivore

I don't think you can say he has made us more solid. What's that based on? It's a two game sample, one of which was a loss to Accrington in which we showed a familiar soft underbelly. The other was a home game against a knackered, bottom of the table Doncaster who showed about as much threat as a fluffy kitten that's been de-clawed. I think for the more positive fans, there's an awful lot of confusing what we want to be the case with what has actually been happening.

OK ...

I know I'm in a minority..... on 12:06 - Oct 4 with 2814 viewsSwansea_Blue

I know I'm in a minority..... on 10:59 - Oct 4 by blueysbackside

I'm pretty sure Morsy confirmed that he was spoken to at the start of the summer, and his answer was 'no'. And then Middlesbrough told him at the 11th hour that he wasn't wanted and it all changed.

Our gain, but certainly not planned for. We do need a bit of time to try to get this to work.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

I know I'm in a minority..... on 12:08 - Oct 4 with 2780 viewsblueysbackside

I know I'm in a minority..... on 12:00 - Oct 4 by Herbivore

And Wigan have 15 new players and are in the top 2. The bottom two divisions are characterised by high squad turnover. The aim this season was promotion, we're a few bad results from being able to kiss that goodbye. Should that happen, Cook has failed and has to go.

Good afternoon, H. Of course, Wigan show that it CAN be done when you have a high turnover of players. And I don’t want to rewind to an argument we had three weeks ago. Surely, though, you saw against Lincoln and Donny some signs of improvement? And that came when Cook had his strongest XI out. With two key men who had only just arrived. Would you give him until Xmas or the next 3 games?
I know I'm in a minority..... on 12:09 - Oct 4 with 2756 viewsDanTheMan

I know I'm in a minority..... on 12:00 - Oct 4 by textbackup

Had those two not arrived on deadline day where would we be?
Pretty terrible planning/recruiting if everything were to down to two blokes we didn’t start the season with imo.

I’m gutted we’ve started how we have, but at the same time I’m not giving up on PC or the chance of promotion this year… why? Because I’m so fed up with questioning every manager we have, I just want to be a supporter currently. I spend too much time thinking about Town. So yeah he might be the wrong man, we might not go up, but for me whatever

I somewhat agree with this although at the same time I just keep falling back on us being so fecking miserable to watch, bar the Doncaster game.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

I know I'm in a minority..... on 12:12 - Oct 4 with 2737 viewsHerbivore

I know I'm in a minority..... on 12:08 - Oct 4 by blueysbackside

Good afternoon, H. Of course, Wigan show that it CAN be done when you have a high turnover of players. And I don’t want to rewind to an argument we had three weeks ago. Surely, though, you saw against Lincoln and Donny some signs of improvement? And that came when Cook had his strongest XI out. With two key men who had only just arrived. Would you give him until Xmas or the next 3 games?

He's got until the end of this month, and that's being generous.

High turnover of players is the norm at the this level. Lincoln started last season on fire after as big a rebuild as us. Every season there are sides riding high in League 1 after a large turnover because squad churn is normal at this level. It's not an excuse for us being 19th after 10 games after a very kind opening set of fixtures.

I know I'm in a minority..... on 12:17 - Oct 4 with 2704 viewstextbackup

I know I'm in a minority..... on 12:09 - Oct 4 by DanTheMan

I somewhat agree with this although at the same time I just keep falling back on us being so fecking miserable to watch, bar the Doncaster game.

The high after Doncaster, for me personally, was unbelievable. 2 years worth of YYYYEEESSSS all coming out at once.
I’d forgotten what it felt like to go back to basics and just support. Didnt see anything of sats game, sounded horrible on radio, and felt sht that we’d not kicked on, but after 4/5 years of picking managers apart I’m gonna try taking a different approach to supporting, as the other seems to have a negative effect on me.
Life’s too short, and Town is life 😂

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

I know I'm in a minority..... on 12:23 - Oct 4 with 2649 viewsIllinoisblue

I know I'm in a minority..... on 11:54 - Oct 4 by blueysbackside

We should be competitive in Division 3 ffs. This acceptance of mediocrity is baffling.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

I know I'm in a minority..... on 12:24 - Oct 4 with 2638 viewsNthQldITFC

Definitely with you on last season - totally and utterly irrelevant. Day 0 for the Cook regime was the start of this season for me, with the caveat that the unknowns involved in integrating a new squad should allow an extra month or two of leeway. So I am still totally supportive, but starting to get a little worried.

I'll keep my 'little worried' under my hat for now (unless I am broadcasting it on a forum!), because we need to give support and understanding to the new regime whilst we can, after only six months or so in the job, with an extraordinary turnover of players and a difficult underlying situation. Equally they need to understand our collective angst given the years of failure here, and the embedded negativity and almost expectation of failure and feelings of being cursed that we seem to have.

So a little more tolerance both ways for me, but the clock is certainly ticking, and Father Christmas really does need to bring us a top half and pushing position.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

I know I'm in a minority..... on 12:30 - Oct 4 with 2585 viewsblueysbackside

I know I'm in a minority..... on 12:24 - Oct 4 by NthQldITFC

Definitely with you on last season - totally and utterly irrelevant. Day 0 for the Cook regime was the start of this season for me, with the caveat that the unknowns involved in integrating a new squad should allow an extra month or two of leeway. So I am still totally supportive, but starting to get a little worried.

I'll keep my 'little worried' under my hat for now (unless I am broadcasting it on a forum!), because we need to give support and understanding to the new regime whilst we can, after only six months or so in the job, with an extraordinary turnover of players and a difficult underlying situation. Equally they need to understand our collective angst given the years of failure here, and the embedded negativity and almost expectation of failure and feelings of being cursed that we seem to have.

So a little more tolerance both ways for me, but the clock is certainly ticking, and Father Christmas really does need to bring us a top half and pushing position.

A great post. Agree with all of it.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024