Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Matt Penney - An Insight 13:17 - Jun 28 with 2303 viewsTomTheWriter

This is probably the least 'flashy and exciting' signing of the summer so far, but might be the most sensible. A 23 y/o free agent is always a smart pick up, and if he already has the attacking attributes that Cook wants from his full backs, then all he needs to do is work on his defensive drills in training.

Wonder what will be happening with Myles Kenlock, whether he's kept as competition, or if Cook wants to bring in his own back-up, or even push for an even better player than Penney.

Squad is beginning to fill out nicely, if this and Hladky come off, then the only hole is the LW position, with CB and CAM following after that.

https://taleoftwofootballs.com/?p=726

Blog: Where to Exploit and How to Avoid Being Exploited - Brentford

Matt Penney - An Insight on 15:26 - Jun 28 with 1847 viewsRobTheMonk

Mrs' Brother in law is a Wednesday fan. He's just told me that Penney is decent and was criminally underused by them.

The wheels do seem to have gained some good momentum these past few days.
Matt Penney - An Insight on 15:41 - Jun 28 with 1755 viewsTomTheWriter

Matt Penney - An Insight on 15:26 - Jun 28 by RobTheMonk

Mrs' Brother in law is a Wednesday fan. He's just told me that Penney is decent and was criminally underused by them.

The wheels do seem to have gained some good momentum these past few days.

Feels like another one of those players that needs to drop down to make their way back up the league. Similar to Rekeem Harper in that sense.

The more I think about it, the smarter the deal seems to be. I can't see anyway in which signing Penney would be a bad move. Free, young, attack-minded.

Matt Penney - An Insight on 15:42 - Jun 28 with 1741 viewsjayessess

Matt Penney - An Insight on 15:41 - Jun 28 by TomTheWriter

Feels like another one of those players that needs to drop down to make their way back up the league. Similar to Rekeem Harper in that sense.

The more I think about it, the smarter the deal seems to be. I can't see anyway in which signing Penney would be a bad move. Free, young, attack-minded.

Our Callum Elder perhaps?

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Matt Penney - An Insight on 15:55 - Jun 28 with 1638 viewsTomTheWriter

Matt Penney - An Insight on 15:42 - Jun 28 by jayessess

Our Callum Elder perhaps?

yeah same as Elder, and Josh Emmanuel now I think about it. He was deemed not good enough by Lambert, but two years later has overtaken us. I like these kind of signings, they just seem to be guaranteed profit even if they don't have a top-draw season.

Matt Penney - An Insight on 16:11 - Jun 28 with 1529 viewsclive_baker

It's a lot to do with attitude and application in L1. The standard isn't bad, but it's not amazing either, and I don't think players we've had here relatively recently like Emmanuel, Elder and Garbutt are anything special, but they've found themselves contributing to promoted sides last season.

We need a squad that's engaged, up for the fight and willing to learn. There's plenty of players that can contribute to that if they come with the right attitude. Hopefully this new look ITFC will see that. The changes off the pitch are as important IMO, bringing with it a new culture or expectation and ambition rather than one of stagnation and acceptance.
[Post edited 28 Jun 2021 16:13]

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Matt Penney - An Insight on 16:27 - Jun 28 with 1451 viewsSimonds92

"A 23 y/o free agent is always a smart pick up"

Would you be saying this as a Leyton Orient fan if we gave them drinan? 🤔
Matt Penney - An Insight on 16:28 - Jun 28 with 1439 viewsTomTheWriter

Matt Penney - An Insight on 16:11 - Jun 28 by clive_baker

It's a lot to do with attitude and application in L1. The standard isn't bad, but it's not amazing either, and I don't think players we've had here relatively recently like Emmanuel, Elder and Garbutt are anything special, but they've found themselves contributing to promoted sides last season.

We need a squad that's engaged, up for the fight and willing to learn. There's plenty of players that can contribute to that if they come with the right attitude. Hopefully this new look ITFC will see that. The changes off the pitch are as important IMO, bringing with it a new culture or expectation and ambition rather than one of stagnation and acceptance.
[Post edited 28 Jun 2021 16:13]

Absolutely. Sometimes players think they are too good for the league they are in, and 75% of the time they are wrong. Finding yourselves in the right environment is the biggest thing possible.

Lot of people weren't happy with the amount of staff additions before player additions, but I think it was the perfect opening for Cook. The players needed to come in to a settled situation, knowing that the people teaching them aren't on the verge of leaving.

Matt Penney - An Insight on 16:33 - Jun 28 with 1403 viewsTomTheWriter

Matt Penney - An Insight on 16:27 - Jun 28 by Simonds92

"A 23 y/o free agent is always a smart pick up"

Would you be saying this as a Leyton Orient fan if we gave them drinan? 🤔

I'd say so yes, unfortunately for them they'll have to pay a small fee!

You look at Paul Mullin last season, he went from being a perennial single-digit scorer to hitting 32. Someone like Drinan, could go from 1 goal to 7 with more game-time in League 2. I think identifying free agent players under the age of 24, with even a small amount of experience in a higher division is a smart play for many L1 or L2 teams.

Login to get fewer ads

Matt Penney - An Insight on 16:57 - Jun 28 with 1292 viewsArnieM

Matt Penney - An Insight on 16:33 - Jun 28 by TomTheWriter

You look at Paul Mullin last season, he went from being a perennial single-digit scorer to hitting 32. Someone like Drinan, could go from 1 goal to 7 with more game-time in League 2. I think identifying free agent players under the age of 24, with even a small amount of experience in a higher division is a smart play for many L1 or L2 teams.

No one had ever heard of Keifer Moore…….. they have now.

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Matt Penney - An Insight on 18:27 - Jun 28 with 1073 viewsKeaneish

Matt Penney - An Insight on 16:33 - Jun 28 by TomTheWriter

He won’t. Astonishing that he’s been picked up by a League 2 club. No idea what Jackett’s thinking,

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024