Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Maybe Cook hasn’t told the like of Downes, Dozzell Jr 10:39 - May 14 with 15193 viewsVic

Woolfie, KVY and Dobra that he doesn’t want them. It could well be that he’s sat them down and said ‘Here’s the deal Luke, I know I’ve been tough and said some harsh things, and I will be bringing in a whole batch of new players. But I’d like you to stay and be part of this, however, if after this season you want to go I will understand that and won’t stand in your way.’

I think that’s quite feasible and very different to saying he wants them out. I mean, it’s clear he rates them, and Norwood, so why would he bin them? I think there’s more to this than we think, and I wonder if we’ve got the wrong end of the stick. Clearly Watson and Warren know more than they are letting on at the moment. They are running the story in a way that generates clicks for their paper (it’s what they are paid for), but they said themselves in the podcast that there’s things they know but haven’t said.
[Post edited 14 May 2021 10:41]

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Maybe Cook hasn’t told the like of Downes, Dozzell Jr on 10:43 - May 14 with 5808 viewsJ2BLUE

Agree. I can't understand why we would allow Norwood to join another league one club. Cook and LON both said he has been starved of service and will score plenty if given the chances.

Just as possible that Cook said i'd like you to stay but you have until the end of the month to decide if you want to. Then it will be about getting an offer matching our requirements.

I'm not convinced they can all leave. He might have just said nothing is guaranteed depending on any offers which is fairly standard for any club.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

I've literally just heard from.... on 10:45 - May 14 with 5810 viewsBloots

....the most reliable of sources that all the first team squad have indeed been told they can leave for the right offer.

They have all been told the same thing, all of them.

Obviously "the right offer" will vary from player to player.

I know this isn't "news" in the slightest, but it's definitely true.

Jackson in particular has been told that he was categorically only being offered an extension so that we can recoup some money.

Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Elite Level Human

Maybe Cook hasn’t told the like of Downes, Dozzell Jr on 10:46 - May 14 with 5774 viewsurbanblue

Maybe Cook hasn’t told the like of Downes, Dozzell Jr on 10:43 - May 14 by J2BLUE

Agree. I can't understand why we would allow Norwood to join another league one club. Cook and LON both said he has been starved of service and will score plenty if given the chances.

Just as possible that Cook said i'd like you to stay but you have until the end of the month to decide if you want to. Then it will be about getting an offer matching our requirements.

I'm not convinced they can all leave. He might have just said nothing is guaranteed depending on any offers which is fairly standard for any club.

Yes, could well be he wants to see just who is keen to stay, commit and fight for their place.
Maybe Cook hasn’t told the like of Downes, Dozzell Jr on 10:47 - May 14 with 5763 viewspositivity

Maybe Cook hasn’t told the like of Downes, Dozzell Jr on 10:43 - May 14 by J2BLUE

i hope you're right, but i think any good fee and they'll be off.

i certainly don't think they'll be leaving on a free

Poll: do you do judo and/or do you do voodoo?

I've literally just heard from.... on 10:49 - May 14 with 5716 viewsurbanblue

I've literally just heard from.... on 10:45 - May 14 by Bloots

....the most reliable of sources that all the first team squad have indeed been told they can leave for the right offer.

Jackson in particular has been told that he was categorically only being offered an extension so that we can recoup some money.

So obviously not all of them will leave then ...

I thought not.
Maybe Cook hasn’t told the like of Downes, Dozzell Jr on 10:51 - May 14 with 5688 views66notout

It’s not that Cook doesn’t want Downes - it’s Downes that doesn’t want to work for Cook.
I've literally just heard from.... on 10:51 - May 14 with 5676 viewsVic

I don’t doubt that for a moment. But saying you CAN leave is different to saying that he wants them to leave.

Not really.... on 10:57 - May 14 with 5620 viewsBloots

I've literally just heard from.... on 10:51 - May 14 by Vic

I don’t doubt that for a moment. But saying you CAN leave is different to saying that he wants them to leave.

....if you are telling someone that they can leave, it plainly means you don't really want them to stay.

I'd say that instead of putting our players for sale in a West End boutique with a massive mark up and getting top dollar for them, we are basically taking them to the local boot sale and saying make me an offer and you can have them.

Every player is an asset, whether they are worth £50k or £5m.

We are still a business after all.

Login to get fewer ads

I've literally just heard from.... on 10:58 - May 14 with 5608 viewsRadlett_blue

Jackson wasn't "offered" an extension. Town triggered it so as to retain some transfer value for a player who reportedly attracted bids of over £1m last summer, although we'd be lucky to get half that now.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

I've literally just heard from.... on 10:58 - May 14 with 5601 viewsbobbyramsey

But it does sound as though he would rather they weren't here doesn't it.

He's basically telling them to "F off" in anybody's language....
[Post edited 14 May 2021 11:01]
I've literally just heard from.... on 10:59 - May 14 with 5575 viewsghostofescobar

If my employers told me that I can leave, that would not give me the warm, fuzzy feeling that they want me to stay.

GhostOfEscobar

I've literally just heard from.... on 11:01 - May 14 with 5548 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

I've literally just heard from.... on 10:58 - May 14 by Radlett_blue

Jackson wasn't "offered" an extension. Town triggered it so as to retain some transfer value for a player who reportedly attracted bids of over £1m last summer, although we'd be lucky to get half that now.

I think with the likes of Jackson they will know that the transfer value wont be huge, but they will want the opportunity to put a 25% sell on clause in the sales contract, in order to save embarrassment in case someone like Peterborough get a tune out of him.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

I've literally just heard from.... on 11:01 - May 14 with 5542 viewsRadlett_blue

I've literally just heard from.... on 10:59 - May 14 by ghostofescobar

If my employers told me that I can leave, that would not give me the warm, fuzzy feeling that they want me to stay.

Indeed, if this is true, Cook's really gone out on a limb here & if these players don't attract decent offers, we will give them away or keep disillusioned players whom he doesn't really want.

Indeed, the conversation was simply..... on 11:01 - May 14 with 5542 viewsBloots

...."we aren't paying up any contracts, but we will take any reasonable offer for you".

Not really.... on 11:02 - May 14 with 5524 viewsVic

Not really.... on 10:57 - May 14 by Bloots

....if you are telling someone that they can leave, it plainly means you don't really want them to stay.

I'd say that instead of putting our players for sale in a West End boutique with a massive mark up and getting top dollar for them, we are basically taking them to the local boot sale and saying make me an offer and you can have them.

Every player is an asset, whether they are worth £50k or £5m.

We are still a business after all.

“....if you are telling someone that they can leave, it plainly means you don't really want them to stay. “

Not necessarily. It could simply be saying that if they want to go they can. Downes by all accounts wants out anyway; maybe Dozzer and others have said they are really unsettled and messed up by thier experience and Cook can see that a change may be best for them if that’s what they want. I simply don’t believe that he wouldn’t want the likes of KVY, Norwood and at least some of the youngsters to be part of what he’s doing. He’s not that thick, surely!

I've literally just heard from.... on 11:03 - May 14 with 5497 viewschrismakin

I've literally just heard from.... on 11:01 - May 14 by Marshalls_Mullet

I think with the likes of Jackson they will know that the transfer value wont be huge, but they will want the opportunity to put a 25% sell on clause in the sales contract, in order to save embarrassment in case someone like Peterborough get a tune out of him.

Also, any transfer fee would increase out % to turnover potential, so makes sense not to just allow him to leave for free.

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

Maybe Cook hasn’t told the like of Downes, Dozzell Jr on 11:05 - May 14 with 5489 viewsclive_baker

Definitely not the case in some instances. I heard it from the horses mouth on 1.

*Not Bluey or Crazee.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

I've literally just heard from.... on 11:06 - May 14 with 5466 viewsVic

I’ve used that motivation technique many times with volunteers that I manage. Made it clear that I want them to stay, but if they are unhappy they can go with my blessing because Inreally only want people to be with me if they really want to be part of the project. In my experience they respect that and most stay and knuckle down. Some go, but if that’s how they felt then it’s best for them and me!

I've literally just heard from.... on 11:07 - May 14 with 5442 viewsBlueWorldOrder

Downes and Dozzell in particular need to push on with their careers now, a Championship relegation and two seasons stuck in the middle of this league has done nothing for them. West Ham would be an ideal place for both, with maybe a loan down to the Championship. Wolfie still needs time at this level I feel. He could be as good as Webster if coached right.

Poll: Should we stop changing kits every season?

Maybe Cook hasn’t told the like of Downes, Dozzell Jr on 11:08 - May 14 with 5423 viewsVic

Maybe Cook hasn’t told the like of Downes, Dozzell Jr on 11:05 - May 14 by clive_baker

Definitely not the case in some instances. I heard it from the horses mouth on 1.

*Not Bluey or Crazee.

Again, I don’t doubt that. I’m sure we probably all hope that Jackson, Edwards and a few others get bought.

Am I allowed to ask if your statement apply to any of the youngsters we’d all like to stay?

Maybe Cook hasn’t told the like of Downes, Dozzell Jr on 11:09 - May 14 with 5409 viewsX0Y0

It's frustrating the way in which it has been reported as though all of the players have been told the same thing, "that they can leave", whereas of course this clearly misses a lot of important nuance about how that message is delivered.

The 2 things that stand out to me are:
1. By saying everyone can leave for the right price ultimately puts everyone in the shop window. Cook and the management can choose which offers are sensible to accept and reinvest in to the squad. It is also true, everyone does have a price.
2. I think for many players Cook wants them to take responsibility for their futures, either by working to find a new club and getting a suitable deal done or working hard to get in the team. None of them yet have done enough to be indispensable indicates he just wants more from everyone.
We can't lose sight of the fact that.... on 11:09 - May 14 with 5397 viewsBloots

Not really.... on 11:02 - May 14 by Vic

“....if you are telling someone that they can leave, it plainly means you don't really want them to stay. “

Not necessarily. It could simply be saying that if they want to go they can. Downes by all accounts wants out anyway; maybe Dozzer and others have said they are really unsettled and messed up by thier experience and Cook can see that a change may be best for them if that’s what they want. I simply don’t believe that he wouldn’t want the likes of KVY, Norwood and at least some of the youngsters to be part of what he’s doing. He’s not that thick, surely!

...this squad of players have finished mid table in the 3rd Division two seasons in a row.

Obviously there are extenuating circumstances for a few of them (KVY and Norwood mainly) but the facts are there for all to see.

There have been very few games where any of our players have stood out against the opposition players in an incredibly mediocre league.

We are fortunately in a position where we can do something about it.

I don't for a minute expect them all to leave, but the conversations have definitely been as reported.

I've literally just heard from.... on 11:10 - May 14 with 5374 viewsWD19

I told you not to tell anyone!

That's the last time I trust you.....
Maybe Cook hasn’t told the like of Downes, Dozzell Jr on 11:12 - May 14 with 5348 viewsRadlett_blue

Maybe Cook hasn’t told the like of Downes, Dozzell Jr on 11:08 - May 14 by Vic

Again, I don’t doubt that. I’m sure we probably all hope that Jackson, Edwards and a few others get bought.

Am I allowed to ask if your statement apply to any of the youngsters we’d all like to stay?

Edwards is out of contract, with no extension. It sounds as if Cook is interested in offering him a new deal, which I find odd given the players he apparently doesn't want to keep.

I've literally just heard from.... on 11:14 - May 14 with 5298 viewschrismakin

I've literally just heard from.... on 11:07 - May 14 by BlueWorldOrder

Downes and Dozzell in particular need to push on with their careers now, a Championship relegation and two seasons stuck in the middle of this league has done nothing for them. West Ham would be an ideal place for both, with maybe a loan down to the Championship. Wolfie still needs time at this level I feel. He could be as good as Webster if coached right.

Wolfenden and Downes are the two Im dissapointed about

Downes however we know wants to go, im sure if he didn't PC would want him

Wolfenden, such an average season, never looked as comfortable as when he first came onto the scene despite gaining more experience..

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024