Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
History Question ***potential trigger*** 19:06 - Dec 10 with 1197 viewschrismakin

will ask the question below

My son has recently asked if in the future he could go and see the Aushwitz camp

Whilst I appreciate history and of course studied this when i was younger, im not sure i really want to visit

Can anyone advise if they have been, does a visit add anything to my Sons Learning.

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

History Question ***potential trigger*** on 19:10 - Dec 10 with 1145 viewsDanTheMan

Whilst I have not been myself, I have heard of others who have who found the trip well worth it.

Obviously needs to be taken with the seriousness it deserves though.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

History Question ***potential trigger*** on 19:18 - Dec 10 with 1122 viewshammo56

I have been and would say if anybody has the opportunity to go whether they be young or old then do so.
Like you I studied this when I was younger but by going there I feel it gave me even more insight of what really happened there.
As the previous poster said it also gives you a chance to show your respect. When I went I was actually in Poland to attend a England game and the majority of fans made the effort to go there.
History Question ***potential trigger*** on 19:19 - Dec 10 with 1112 viewsStokieBlue

Obviously a horrible place but one must remember history and to fully appreciate history one often needs to visit the scene.

It's the same with places like the battlefields of the Somme or the Killing Fields. Unpleasant but in the end it brings realism to something that can otherwise be easily detached.

So perhaps not the most pleasant family day trip imaginable but probably a longer term rewarding one, especially in these times of rising intolerance.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

History Question ***potential trigger*** on 19:37 - Dec 10 with 1039 viewsMookamoo

We stayed in Krakow (which is great) for the weekend which is about a 2 hour drive from the camp. You can just get a taxi or there are organised trips.

As you can imagine, its a horrible place but I'm glad we went. It's very difficult to get your head around it. The camp grounds are very calm, almost serene, as it is sacred ground. The huts are difficult as these show the real horrors - the everyday bureaucracy is hard to process.

In terms of adding to his knowledge - its absolutely worth seeing with your own eyes. I don't think you can get anywhere near understanding, but the reality does help and brings things into context, especially as you see how recent everything looks.

I recommend what we did which is go from the camp to the Salt Mines. It helped to go from the very worst of humanity to somewhere which shows we can also create beauty.
https://www.wieliczka-saltmine.com/
History Question ***potential trigger*** on 19:50 - Dec 10 with 978 viewsBlueBadger

If you want some supplementary reading, I would always recommend reading 'Maus'.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Complete-MAUS-Art-Spiegelman/dp/0141014083

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Where would it be funniest to see NCFC fans crying on the telly?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

History Question ***potential trigger*** on 19:51 - Dec 10 with 968 viewsEwan_Oozami

History Question ***potential trigger*** on 19:50 - Dec 10 by BlueBadger

If you want some supplementary reading, I would always recommend reading 'Maus'.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Complete-MAUS-Art-Spiegelman/dp/0141014083

Fantastic graphic story!

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

History Question ***potential trigger*** on 19:54 - Dec 10 with 959 viewsBlueBadger

History Question ***potential trigger*** on 19:51 - Dec 10 by Ewan_Oozami

Fantastic graphic story!

I've gone throughh nearly half a dozen copies now, lending it out to people to read and never getting it back. Astonishing work of art.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Where would it be funniest to see NCFC fans crying on the telly?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

History Question ***potential trigger*** on 19:58 - Dec 10 with 944 viewsSwansea_Blue

Can't speak for Aushwitz, but I went to Hiroshima and it was one of the most poignant and humbling experiences I've ever had. I'd say it'd undoubtedly add something to his learning, but you probably want to carefully consider age.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Login to get fewer ads

History Question ***potential trigger*** on 20:09 - Dec 10 with 926 viewsfactual_blue

On an allied note, there was an excellent three-part series on the BBC recently called Berlin 1945. It does touch on the camps, but is a generally fascinating insight into the last couple of months of the war - and the immediate post-surrender months in Berlin. It's told mainly through the diaries etc of ordinary people.

Apart from the camps, some of the other stuff is challenging, particularly the comments from raped women; the observation from one raped woman 'better a Russian on your belly, than an American bomb on your head' struck me as quite chilling.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

History Question ***potential trigger*** on 21:22 - Dec 10 with 843 viewseastangliaisblue

I've not been to Auschwitz but have been to the Killing Fields and Tuol Sleng prison museum in Cambodia.

I personally think it's important to visit these types of places as a reminder of the horrors man can inflict on each other.

I found both places poignant and heartbreaking but also very educational.
History Question ***potential trigger*** on 21:40 - Dec 10 with 816 viewsdickie

I've not been to Aushwitz but as a 12 year old I visited Oradour-sur-Glane and the experience has stayed with me for life I'd say. I found it equally horrific/disturbing and fascinating

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oradour-sur-Glane_massacre
History Question ***potential trigger*** on 08:57 - Dec 11 with 680 viewsLesta_Tractor

We didn't go to Auschwitz on out trip to Poland but we did go to the Uprising Museum in Warsaw, that's very educational and well worth a visit.

1:23:47, 38:26
Poll: What is more important to you?

History Question ***potential trigger*** on 09:33 - Dec 11 with 643 viewsswede

Absolutely yes, you should take him if you possibly can to learn the lesson that we all need that this must never happen again.

I have not been to Auschwitz or any of the concentration camps, but I have visited the Yad Vashem holocaust memorial museum in Jerusalem and also Oradour-sur Glane in France. You cannot visit those places without realising the horrors of war and the depravity of man.
History Question ***potential trigger*** on 09:36 - Dec 11 with 637 viewsDropCliffsNotBombs

History Question ***potential trigger*** on 21:40 - Dec 10 by dickie

I've not been to Aushwitz but as a 12 year old I visited Oradour-sur-Glane and the experience has stayed with me for life I'd say. I found it equally horrific/disturbing and fascinating

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oradour-sur-Glane_massacre

Was about to say the same. Visited Oradour a few years ago and it was a haunting but hugely valuable experience.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024