Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Is more stuff really the answer or does it just raise more questions? 07:52 - Dec 8 with 965 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

https://www.theguardian.com/news/2020/dec/08/the-curse-of-white-oil-electric-veh

"The urgency in getting a lithium supply has unleashed a mining boom, and the race for “white oil” threatens to cause damage to the natural environment wherever it is found. But because they are helping to drive down emissions, the mining companies have EU environmental policy on their side.

“There’s a fundamental question behind all this about the model of consumption and production that we now have, which is simply not sustainable,” said Riofrancos. “Everyone having an electric vehicle means an enormous amount of mining, refining and all the polluting activities that come with it.”

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If he goes will he still be Super?

Is more stuff really the answer or does it just raise more questions? on 08:05 - Dec 8 with 935 viewsbluelagos

Stuff is what drives most people. Be it a new car, suit, phone etc. Think we are in too deep to fundamentally change that anytime soon. Materialism (is that a word?) is so ingrained in our physche that people will buy an EV and think they have 'done their bit' with little consideration of say the unnecessary sh1te they spunk out for xmas pressies.

We are fcked and without a radical rethink we will continue to trash our environment like lemmings going over a cliff.

Enjoy your day Bankster :-)

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Is more stuff really the answer or does it just raise more questions? on 09:49 - Dec 8 with 867 viewsNthQldITFC

Is more stuff really the answer or does it just raise more questions? on 08:05 - Dec 8 by bluelagos

Stuff is what drives most people. Be it a new car, suit, phone etc. Think we are in too deep to fundamentally change that anytime soon. Materialism (is that a word?) is so ingrained in our physche that people will buy an EV and think they have 'done their bit' with little consideration of say the unnecessary sh1te they spunk out for xmas pressies.

We are fcked and without a radical rethink we will continue to trash our environment like lemmings going over a cliff.

The thing I struggle to get a handle on in my head at the moment, is what proportion of those people who 'think they have 'done their bit'' genuinely think that they have done their bit, and what proportion know that it's not remotely near enough, but are prepared to pretend that it is in order to stave off the nagging of their consciences.

Over population and idiotic escapist consumerism is killing everything that ever was and everything that could have been.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Is more stuff really the answer or does it just raise more questions? on 09:49 - Dec 8 with 863 viewsGuthrum

Is more stuff really the answer or does it just raise more questions? on 08:05 - Dec 8 by bluelagos

Not only that, but the need for "stuff" - and the debt incurred in paying for it - have been the main forces in the upward pressure on wages/salaries in the developed world (not the raw cost of living, but the cost of living surrounded by "stuff"). Thus making us globally uncompetitive as a workforce and making it a lot harder to take on employees.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Is more stuff really the answer or does it just raise more questions? on 10:02 - Dec 8 with 839 viewsGuthrum

Is more stuff really the answer or does it just raise more questions? on 09:49 - Dec 8 by NthQldITFC

The thing I struggle to get a handle on in my head at the moment, is what proportion of those people who 'think they have 'done their bit'' genuinely think that they have done their bit, and what proportion know that it's not remotely near enough, but are prepared to pretend that it is in order to stave off the nagging of their consciences.

Over population and idiotic escapist consumerism is killing everything that ever was and everything that could have been.

I think you've hit upon a key point. A sizeable portion of consumerism is escapist - being things used to watch TV, play games or live online. Even things like motor cars are sold as fantasy items, not functional.

Perhaps it is the case that life is no longer about survival (for most, but by no means all, in Western society) and they are struggling to find fulfilment in the real world. The fragmentation of communities and the move towards smaller, more socially insular units (the nuclear family, the individual) will not help. Perhaps why we all like following ITFC, for the communal experience. Same with dance parties or gigs. Also what makes us suckers for social media.

Probably also one of the drivers of modern nationalism/regionalism, the desire to be part of a (notionally) cohesive community.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Is more stuff really the answer or does it just raise more questions? on 10:08 - Dec 8 with 830 viewsStokieBlue

This is the one that really needs to be prevented:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-49759626

SB

Avatar - M51 - The Whirlpool Galaxy - Taken on 29th April 2024

Is more stuff really the answer or does it just raise more questions? on 10:22 - Dec 8 with 811 viewsNthQldITFC

Is more stuff really the answer or does it just raise more questions? on 10:02 - Dec 8 by Guthrum

I think you've hit upon a key point. A sizeable portion of consumerism is escapist - being things used to watch TV, play games or live online. Even things like motor cars are sold as fantasy items, not functional.

Perhaps it is the case that life is no longer about survival (for most, but by no means all, in Western society) and they are struggling to find fulfilment in the real world. The fragmentation of communities and the move towards smaller, more socially insular units (the nuclear family, the individual) will not help. Perhaps why we all like following ITFC, for the communal experience. Same with dance parties or gigs. Also what makes us suckers for social media.

Probably also one of the drivers of modern nationalism/regionalism, the desire to be part of a (notionally) cohesive community.

I totally agree, and think the majority are struggling to find fulfillment, desperately craving the next thing that has been sold to them as something that will make them whole, which of course it won't.

As much as I do not like religion, or at least what organised religions mostly seem to have become, I suspect that those kind of belief systems are beneficial in the sense that they give people a sense of a meaning in life, which to some extent suppresses rampant, suicidal (planetarily suicidal, I mean) consumerism.

But it's so hard not to fall down that hole, I think, because deep down I'm sure most people have a feeling or a visceral understanding of how bad the situation is, even those who lack any scientific background or education. We just have be more brave as a species and really look the thing in the face and make the tough decisions, even if they are a bit taboo and undermine our ego-led existences.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Is more stuff really the answer or does it just raise more questions? on 10:28 - Dec 8 with 800 viewsbluelagos

Is more stuff really the answer or does it just raise more questions? on 09:49 - Dec 8 by NthQldITFC

Consumerism is what our economy is built on. When first working in Nigeria I saw a lot of people making do with an awful lot less than I had. And Nigeria is (according to surveys) one of the happiest countries in the world. So it is fair to say having "things" is not directly correlated to happyness, far from it.

Yet we persue buying utter sh1te constantly. How many people on here reminisce/worry about brands ffs. Got to be a certain type of shirt, or car, or dare I say it cheese. We absolutely obsess over what people think about us and how we look.

The snobbery in looking down at others who possess less, or live in a "lower" neighbourhood, or who have what we consider lower tastes than us, or work in what are considered "lower" careers, it is never ending in the UK. Always wanting to be considered better than the bloke down the road.

Until "Keeping up with the Jones" is replaced with a fundamental shift towards minimalism we aren't going to change anytime soon. But our economy is based on it - buy a bigger house, change the kitchen, new 3 piece suite - it is what drives our economy so don't expect anything different anytime soon.

This blokes books are well worth reading if interested on the topics.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2019/jan/06/happiness-index-wellbeing-survey-u

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Is more stuff really the answer or does it just raise more questions? on 16:55 - Dec 8 with 686 viewsPendejo

So the planet "needs" a mystery virus that kills millions of people..?

Ah. Erm. Oh.

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Login to get fewer ads

Is more stuff really the answer or does it just raise more questions? on 17:42 - Dec 8 with 662 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Is more stuff really the answer or does it just raise more questions? on 10:08 - Dec 8 by StokieBlue

SB

Ffs....despair before work, despair after work....just another day in the life of...

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If he goes will he still be Super?

Is more stuff really the answer or does it just raise more questions? on 19:02 - Dec 8 with 626 viewsRyorry

Is more stuff really the answer or does it just raise more questions? on 10:08 - Dec 8 by StokieBlue

SB

I always thought electric cars were not the way to go, but because the leccy still has to come from somewhere, meaning fossil fuels still have to be burned to power them.

Just gets worse & worse with content like this & what's in the OP :(

Poll: Time of the annunciation

Is more stuff really the answer or does it just raise more questions? on 19:34 - Dec 8 with 608 viewsStokieBlue

Is more stuff really the answer or does it just raise more questions? on 19:02 - Dec 8 by Ryorry

I always thought electric cars were not the way to go, but because the leccy still has to come from somewhere, meaning fossil fuels still have to be burned to power them.

Just gets worse & worse with content like this & what's in the OP :(

I don't think the electricity generation argument is really a problem long-term, we can easily build a renewable and nuclear based infrastructure to provide the power.

Materials are probably a bigger issue at the moment.

SB

Avatar - M51 - The Whirlpool Galaxy - Taken on 29th April 2024

Is more stuff really the answer or does it just raise more questions? on 19:51 - Dec 8 with 591 viewsRyorry

Is more stuff really the answer or does it just raise more questions? on 19:34 - Dec 8 by StokieBlue

I don't think the electricity generation argument is really a problem long-term, we can easily build a renewable and nuclear based infrastructure to provide the power.

Materials are probably a bigger issue at the moment.

SB

"we can easily build a renewable and nuclear based infrastructure to provide the power"

Rather begs the question of why we didn't build the renewable options years ago (I mean for electricity generation generally, not just for elec cars).

The renewables sector could have been a major industry & earner for the UK already - unfortunately the Govt. support for it has been pathetically small and patchy.
[Post edited 8 Dec 2020 19:58]

Poll: Time of the annunciation

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024