Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I like Lambert - really want him to turn it around. 13:44 - Mar 6 with 4991 viewsjasondozzell

Evans needs to invest in summer. Players are out there - look at KVY.
I like Lambert - really want him to turn it around. on 13:48 - Mar 6 with 4308 viewshomer_123

I'm looking at KVY and he's injured, your point?

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

I like Lambert - really want him to turn it around. on 13:51 - Mar 6 with 4293 viewsSouperJim

No doubt we will need to bring in replacements for those who will be sold off, but large parts of our squad would walk into most sides in the division. The problem this season hasn't been the personnel, it's the way they've been mismanaged.

Poll: Prawn Crackers
Blog: Broken Ipswich

I like Lambert - really want him to turn it around. on 13:54 - Mar 6 with 4269 viewsr2d2

I like Lambert - really want him to turn it around. on 13:51 - Mar 6 by SouperJim

No doubt we will need to bring in replacements for those who will be sold off, but large parts of our squad would walk into most sides in the division. The problem this season hasn't been the personnel, it's the way they've been mismanaged.

They wouldn't walk into other teams. They are cr@p. Whingy, wimps. They dont fight for the badge at all. No pride in those players. But that comes from the owner who has no pride in the club he owns at all.
I like Lambert - really want him to turn it around. on 13:57 - Mar 6 with 4260 viewsSouperJim

I like Lambert - really want him to turn it around. on 13:54 - Mar 6 by r2d2

They wouldn't walk into other teams. They are cr@p. Whingy, wimps. They dont fight for the badge at all. No pride in those players. But that comes from the owner who has no pride in the club he owns at all.

I disagree, several are a cut above the standard in this division and could easily play at a higher level (or have done so in the past). As you say yourself, the malaise here starts with the owner and works it's way down and it is very hard to perform in a team which is under-performing.

Poll: Prawn Crackers
Blog: Broken Ipswich

I like Lambert - really want him to turn it around. on 14:01 - Mar 6 with 4241 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

I am in the same camp really. I do want Lambert to succeed, I think he is a good, honest, nice guy and gets done personally on here unfairly.

But this decline cannot continue, however, would a new man be much better?

Needs some serious changes in the summer.

Poll: Would you be happy with Paul Lambert?

I like Lambert - really want him to turn it around. on 14:02 - Mar 6 with 4240 viewsr2d2

I like Lambert - really want him to turn it around. on 13:57 - Mar 6 by SouperJim

I disagree, several are a cut above the standard in this division and could easily play at a higher level (or have done so in the past). As you say yourself, the malaise here starts with the owner and works it's way down and it is very hard to perform in a team which is under-performing.

Whatever they shouldnt underperform. If they are as great as you say. Then they should be top of the league. Fact is, even when we were at the top we were never convincing. Those players are old/injured has beens. They havent got it in them. You get what you pay for, so we have crocked players from pound land.
I like Lambert - really want him to turn it around. on 14:03 - Mar 6 with 4236 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

I like Lambert - really want him to turn it around. on 13:57 - Mar 6 by SouperJim

I don't think many could. A lot of them were in the level higher, and formed one of the worst teams in Championship.

The rest that have come have none to very little Championship experience.

Poll: Would you be happy with Paul Lambert?

I like Lambert - really want him to turn it around. on 14:03 - Mar 6 with 4245 viewsEnigma_Blue

Yes there will be players out but you have to remember that there is often competition from other clubs when looking to sign talented young players. WE will get some, others we will miss out on it's the nature of the transfer market.
Football fans these days seem obsessed with bringing players in to improve the squad. What ever happened to good old fashioned coaching of players to improve their ability?
Obviously its not possible to turn players into another Messi or Ronaldo but even just improving existing players by just 5% could make a hell of a difference.

Remember the team that won the old 2nd division back in 92, it was exact same squad of players that finished 14th the season before except for the addition of Eddie Youds but he got badly injured on his debut and missed the rest of the season.
I know it was a different time but the reason for the success was the improvement of players who came through the youth ranks, like Dozzell, Stockwell, Kiwomya, Johnson, Forest & Palmer along with the improvement of players that we had brought in from the lower leagues such as Thompson, Lineghan and Milton that was the basis of the success. As ME is reluctant to invest large amounts into the playing squad we need to try and replicate to some degree what we achieved back in 92 but to be honest I am not sure that Lambert and his coaching staff are the right management team to do this.
Login to get fewer ads

I like Lambert - really want him to turn it around. on 14:35 - Mar 6 with 4153 viewsRadlett_blue

What is there to "like" about Lambert when his job is to show some signs that he is building a football team?
When he came in, there were signs that he wanted Town to play passing, attacking football. That's all been thrown out of the window and we don't really have a style, beyond passing it around aimlessly between the defenders and the immobile, risk averse Skuse and then eventually lumping it forward to a non-existent target man.
Not to mention the crazy rotation (even of goalkeepers) which ruined any momentum.
Lambert's last 3 managerial roles each lasted less than a season and it's a shame that his tenure at Town has exceeded any of those, for no good reason. Paul Jewell II.
I don't dislike Lambert personally, but he doesn't seem to have a clue how to set up a team or motivate the players.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

I like Lambert - really want him to turn it around. on 14:45 - Mar 6 with 4126 viewsmonty_radio

Although he is "not worried" by the speculation that's really a negative position. "Social media..... "don't go on it" ditto. Fergie might have adopted such a tone and such a stance, but his stock was huge. It's no longer the world as it is to huddle up on the training ground, speak about not caring and unfortunate missed chances. Especially when offering such a starting line-up as was seen this week, and which performed exactly as everyone knew it would. Circling the wagons will never cut it. And the talk about paying your £30 to come and abuse is way premature - any spark of real energy on the pitch would have seen it dissolve in the night air.

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

I like Lambert - really want him to turn it around. on 14:48 - Mar 6 with 4119 viewsjontysnut

I like Lambert - really want him to turn it around. on 14:01 - Mar 6 by TheTrueBlue1878

I am in the same camp really. I do want Lambert to succeed, I think he is a good, honest, nice guy and gets done personally on here unfairly.

A test of a manager is how they can turn things around when times are bad. While I don't bear any malice towards PL I'm not convinced he can do this here. And while the players should take a lot of responsibility, I wonder if they're not convinced either.
I like Lambert - really want him to turn it around. on 15:01 - Mar 6 with 4089 viewsjasondozzell

I like Lambert - really want him to turn it around. on 14:35 - Mar 6 by Radlett_blue

What is there to "like" about Lambert when his job is to show some signs that he is building a football team?
When he came in, there were signs that he wanted Town to play passing, attacking football. That's all been thrown out of the window and we don't really have a style, beyond passing it around aimlessly between the defenders and the immobile, risk averse Skuse and then eventually lumping it forward to a non-existent target man.
Not to mention the crazy rotation (even of goalkeepers) which ruined any momentum.
Lambert's last 3 managerial roles each lasted less than a season and it's a shame that his tenure at Town has exceeded any of those, for no good reason. Paul Jewell II.
I don't dislike Lambert personally, but he doesn't seem to have a clue how to set up a team or motivate the players.

I agree he's made mistakes - the rotation and the postponement of games when we had momentum were bad errors. Results haven't been good enough. But I think it's far too easy to think that the reason we've stalled is Lambert alone.

We have played better football under Lambert. He's done some good things. I know the PR Paul thing has been used against him, but we did desperately need someone to improve the atmosphere and bring a bit of pride back to the club. He's been refreshing in the way he's been willing to challenge Evan's too about the state of the training ground, the demise of the community trust etc. I liked Mick but he didn't have any real interest in the club as a whole - it was just immediate results.

On the pitch we've played some really good stuff at times. The problem is we've been so inconsistent and I think Lambert has been left shuffling the pack trying to find a team that works. He's dealing with a decade of underinvestment and attempts to cut corners and make do and mend. I'm not sure the squad is as strong as everyone thought it was. We've got a strange mix of champ players that have been good for us but in all reality are probably 2 or 3 years past their best (Skuse, Chambo), League 1 or 2 players who haven't necessarily proven themselves to be the bright prospects they may have seemed (Nolan, Toto, Norwood, even Jackson who I think Lambert has done well with) and young or injury prone players (Doz, Bishop). The players we have pushed three boat out on financially like Judge and Keane have struggled for form.

Lambert's recruitment has been good - Garbutt and KVY for example. I also liked that Lambert pushed Marcus over KVY - you got the sense Evans was reluctant to invest.

I'm not excusing the bad results but there was a reason we went down so badly last year. Lambert got us going this season, even if it wasn't always convincing, and to have been at the top of the table probably more of an achievement than we might have realised. Wheels have now come off and injuries/pressure probably haven't helped.

This is a difficult club to manage - years of underinvestment, problems with structure behind the scenes, an uneven squad and pressure to immediately fix everything. I'm not saying Lambert is necessarily the answer but I think he deserves a bit more time and another summer transfer window and hopefully Evans might realise that some further investment is needed.

Sacking the manager is not always the panacea it seems to be. We should know that here by now.
[Post edited 6 Mar 2020 15:02]
I like Lambert - really want him to turn it around. on 15:07 - Mar 6 with 4063 viewsitfcjoe

I like Lambert - really want him to turn it around. on 15:01 - Mar 6 by jasondozzell

I agree he's made mistakes - the rotation and the postponement of games when we had momentum were bad errors. Results haven't been good enough. But I think it's far too easy to think that the reason we've stalled is Lambert alone.

We have played better football under Lambert. He's done some good things. I know the PR Paul thing has been used against him, but we did desperately need someone to improve the atmosphere and bring a bit of pride back to the club. He's been refreshing in the way he's been willing to challenge Evan's too about the state of the training ground, the demise of the community trust etc. I liked Mick but he didn't have any real interest in the club as a whole - it was just immediate results.

On the pitch we've played some really good stuff at times. The problem is we've been so inconsistent and I think Lambert has been left shuffling the pack trying to find a team that works. He's dealing with a decade of underinvestment and attempts to cut corners and make do and mend. I'm not sure the squad is as strong as everyone thought it was. We've got a strange mix of champ players that have been good for us but in all reality are probably 2 or 3 years past their best (Skuse, Chambo), League 1 or 2 players who haven't necessarily proven themselves to be the bright prospects they may have seemed (Nolan, Toto, Norwood, even Jackson who I think Lambert has done well with) and young or injury prone players (Doz, Bishop). The players we have pushed three boat out on financially like Judge and Keane have struggled for form.

Lambert's recruitment has been good - Garbutt and KVY for example. I also liked that Lambert pushed Marcus over KVY - you got the sense Evans was reluctant to invest.

I'm not excusing the bad results but there was a reason we went down so badly last year. Lambert got us going this season, even if it wasn't always convincing, and to have been at the top of the table probably more of an achievement than we might have realised. Wheels have now come off and injuries/pressure probably haven't helped.

This is a difficult club to manage - years of underinvestment, problems with structure behind the scenes, an uneven squad and pressure to immediately fix everything. I'm not saying Lambert is necessarily the answer but I think he deserves a bit more time and another summer transfer window and hopefully Evans might realise that some further investment is needed.

Sacking the manager is not always the panacea it seems to be. We should know that here by now.

I agree with the first paragraph, I won't sit here and call him PR Paul because I think what he did has been important and was the right thing to do and was needed - but sadly I find it difficult to agree with the rest as I think he has made such a balls up of the season

For me the football isn't good, it's just possession for possession's sake in easy areas of the pitch - we don't play out from the back we just keep the ball in midfield and defence after it has found it's way to there.

We haven't been inconsistent, sadly we've been remarkably consistently crap since November time

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

I like Lambert - really want him to turn it around. on 15:23 - Mar 6 with 4028 viewsbobbyramsey

I like Lambert - really want him to turn it around. on 14:01 - Mar 6 by TheTrueBlue1878

Didn't we say this last summer?

...and the summer before.....?
I like Lambert - really want him to turn it around. on 15:30 - Mar 6 with 4011 viewshaynes_toe1

You also liked Hurst, to be fair.
I like Lambert - really want him to turn it around. on 15:53 - Mar 6 with 3974 viewsDoctor_Earman

Problem is we are stuck with a lot of the current shambolic lot who have chronically underperformed for the last 2 seasons. How much of a transformation can any manager make when the likes of Chambers, Donacien, Nolan, Keane, Judge etc. are all still under contract next season? Unlikely anyone will take them off our hands so we're stuck with them next season most likely.
I like Lambert - really want him to turn it around. on 16:09 - Mar 6 with 3928 viewsFPL_Tractor

Looking who Lambert/O'Neill got in the summer I think we could be hopeful of some decent transfers. Obviously KVY is a stand out but I'd say Norwood, Holy, Keane, Wilson and Garbutt have all been "ok" or better.

For more ITFC chat and some fantasy football mutterings follow me on twitter @fpl_tractor.

I like Lambert - really want him to turn it around. on 16:16 - Mar 6 with 3907 viewsjayessess

I like Lambert - really want him to turn it around. on 14:02 - Mar 6 by r2d2

Whatever they shouldnt underperform. If they are as great as you say. Then they should be top of the league. Fact is, even when we were at the top we were never convincing. Those players are old/injured has beens. They havent got it in them. You get what you pay for, so we have crocked players from pound land.

If we were "getting what we paid for", we wouldn't be level on points with sodding Gillingham.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

I like Lambert - really want him to turn it around. on 16:24 - Mar 6 with 3881 viewsCoastalblue

I like Lambert - really want him to turn it around. on 14:03 - Mar 6 by Enigma_Blue

Yes there will be players out but you have to remember that there is often competition from other clubs when looking to sign talented young players. WE will get some, others we will miss out on it's the nature of the transfer market.
Football fans these days seem obsessed with bringing players in to improve the squad. What ever happened to good old fashioned coaching of players to improve their ability?
Obviously its not possible to turn players into another Messi or Ronaldo but even just improving existing players by just 5% could make a hell of a difference.

Remember the team that won the old 2nd division back in 92, it was exact same squad of players that finished 14th the season before except for the addition of Eddie Youds but he got badly injured on his debut and missed the rest of the season.
I know it was a different time but the reason for the success was the improvement of players who came through the youth ranks, like Dozzell, Stockwell, Kiwomya, Johnson, Forest & Palmer along with the improvement of players that we had brought in from the lower leagues such as Thompson, Lineghan and Milton that was the basis of the success. As ME is reluctant to invest large amounts into the playing squad we need to try and replicate to some degree what we achieved back in 92 but to be honest I am not sure that Lambert and his coaching staff are the right management team to do this.

I get what you're saying and I saw most of the games that season, however there was also the chance for managers to actually build something back then which seems to be lacking now.
Lyall apparently got the job off the back of his interview, wanting to play football that the people of Suffolk would want to watch. We do need to build again in the same way, and I'll be honest, I'm not convinced Lambert is the right man for that but then again we might spend another six seasons going through a manager a season before we do actually find him.

I don't like what Lambert has done on the pitch this season, I do like what he has done off it and as Joe said it did need to be done. I wouldn't be too upset if he did get another season to see if he actually does have a plan and can implement it. I hate short termism.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

I like Lambert - really want him to turn it around. on 16:33 - Mar 6 with 3855 viewsBlueBadger

He won't and he won't.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Where would it be funniest to see NCFC fans crying on the telly?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

I like Lambert - really want him to turn it around. on 16:34 - Mar 6 with 3853 viewsHerbivore

I like Lambert - really want him to turn it around. on 15:01 - Mar 6 by jasondozzell

I hate to say it mate, but you're genuinely delusional. Lambert has been a more or less unmitigated disaster, sadly. You like him because of the connection with the fans stuff but on the pitch we've been utter dross. Several of my worst ever Town games have been under Lambert. He can't get us winning in the third division. He simply has to go. There is no justification for not getting rid.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

I like Lambert - really want him to turn it around. on 16:45 - Mar 6 with 3822 viewsjayessess

I like Lambert - really want him to turn it around. on 16:24 - Mar 6 by Coastalblue

I get what you're saying and I saw most of the games that season, however there was also the chance for managers to actually build something back then which seems to be lacking now.
Lyall apparently got the job off the back of his interview, wanting to play football that the people of Suffolk would want to watch. We do need to build again in the same way, and I'll be honest, I'm not convinced Lambert is the right man for that but then again we might spend another six seasons going through a manager a season before we do actually find him.

I don't like what Lambert has done on the pitch this season, I do like what he has done off it and as Joe said it did need to be done. I wouldn't be too upset if he did get another season to see if he actually does have a plan and can implement it. I hate short termism.

Where does this myth that clubs succeed by giving managers the opportunity to fail over and over again come from? There are a handful of coaches who maybe had one season of under-achievement and then bounced back to be very successful. Probably a few more who turned out good after a very bad start.

Managers with a sustained record of failure over 75 games who went on to turn things around? None, zero, they don't exist.

Ipswich Town will turn the corner if we get the right person in charge, not because we gave the wrong person year after year to show us how wrong they are.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

I like Lambert - really want him to turn it around. on 16:53 - Mar 6 with 3786 viewsFPL_Tractor

I like Lambert - really want him to turn it around. on 16:45 - Mar 6 by jayessess

Where does this myth that clubs succeed by giving managers the opportunity to fail over and over again come from? There are a handful of coaches who maybe had one season of under-achievement and then bounced back to be very successful. Probably a few more who turned out good after a very bad start.

Managers with a sustained record of failure over 75 games who went on to turn things around? None, zero, they don't exist.

Ipswich Town will turn the corner if we get the right person in charge, not because we gave the wrong person year after year to show us how wrong they are.

Sir Alec Ferguson at Man Utd?
Sir Bobby Robson here?

For more ITFC chat and some fantasy football mutterings follow me on twitter @fpl_tractor.

I like Lambert - really want him to turn it around. on 16:54 - Mar 6 with 3783 viewsCoastalblue

I like Lambert - really want him to turn it around. on 16:45 - Mar 6 by jayessess

You're probably right, and we probably will end up like so many other clubs that have a new manager every season, and I guess if that's what it takes then that's what it takes.

Maybe it's what we are now, Mick did well here, but there was never a sense of getting any more of the best we could do with what we have this season, and perhaps that's the only way this club can be run now. It would be a shame because for every Downes there will be at least one Dozzell.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

I like Lambert - really want him to turn it around. on 16:58 - Mar 6 with 3775 viewsitfcjoe

I like Lambert - really want him to turn it around. on 16:53 - Mar 6 by FPL_Tractor

Sir Alec Ferguson at Man Utd?
Sir Bobby Robson here?

Those managers had achieved tangible things before bad spells, Lambert hasn’t here

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024