Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Sun nonsense has begun 22:50 - Feb 2 with 13145 viewstractordownsouth

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/10873187/keir-starmer-earns-legal-advice-mp-pay/

It's hilarious how throughout every election, the right wing press falsely claims that Labour have a vendetta against the rich and people who work hard yet when Starmer earns good money for being a lawyer then that's awful too. I didn't see the outrage when George Osborne took a job at BlackRock, earning 600k for 2 days a week work...

The quote from Tory MP David Morris claiming this means Starmer is "out of touch" is ridiculous... the bloke is the son of a nurse and worked his way up, it's not as if he was born with a silver spoon. And meanwhile Morris' wiki page shows that he denies child poverty in his own constituency. Classy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Morris_(Conservative_politician)

Proves they'll dig up any old nonsense...

[Post edited 3 Feb 2020 9:21]

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

The Sun smears have begun on 22:55 - Feb 2 with 4872 viewsfooters

Hmmm. I wonder what a former Director of Public Prosecutions who tried many of the Sun/NoW journalists over phone hacking could've done wrong to upset Mr Murdoch. The mind boggles.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

The Sun smears have begun on 23:19 - Feb 2 with 4814 viewsOldsmoker

The Sun smears have begun on 22:55 - Feb 2 by footers

Hmmm. I wonder what a former Director of Public Prosecutions who tried many of the Sun/NoW journalists over phone hacking could've done wrong to upset Mr Murdoch. The mind boggles.

Murdoch has been a "person of interest" to me for some time.
I haven't caught him red-handed but one day..........
Trump is the same.
When these 2 die/lose power the ones who know where the bodies are buried will fess up in their tell-all books in order to cash in/claim innocence.
Can't wait for that day.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

The Sun smears have begun on 05:14 - Feb 3 with 4648 viewsm14_blue

How much was Boris paid by The Telegraph?
The Sun smears have begun on 07:00 - Feb 3 with 4564 viewsWD19

What an extraordinarily bad article. It mixes £ and $, is inconsistent in amounts, mixes time periods all over the place and one of the ‘big’ scandals is that ‘Mr Starmer was paid hundreds of pounds by Birnberg Peirce’.

Surprised he even needs to work at all with that kind in money in the bank.....
The Sun smears have begun on 08:04 - Feb 3 with 4484 viewsHerbivore

His additional earnings are way below many Tory MPs' additional earnings. I wonder why they've not mentioned that?

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

The Sun smears have begun on 08:12 - Feb 3 with 4452 viewsGlasgowBlue

The Sun smears have begun on 08:04 - Feb 3 by Herbivore

His additional earnings are way below many Tory MPs' additional earnings. I wonder why they've not mentioned that?

Because it’s a Tory supporting newspaper? I’m sure the Guardian ran similar stories re Johnson’s outside income when he was running for Tory leader. Although you are right if memory serves, the amounts were far higher.

But we need to get away from using the word “smear”. It’s a negative story based on fact. A smear is an attempt to “damage the reputation of (someone) by false accusations; slander”.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

The Sun smears have begun on 08:13 - Feb 3 with 4458 viewsitfcjoe

They came after Blair like this at the start, it is inevitable it will happen so you have to have a strategy to deal with it (and less baggage than Corbyn)

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

The Sun smears have begun on 08:16 - Feb 3 with 4452 viewsitfcjoe

Just read the article, is serious muck raking - that £450 to a firm who represented Qatada before he was an MP - but when 'fighting for a seat'

Just deliberately vague and misleading, but him and his team will need to handle it and sure they will

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Login to get fewer ads

The Sun smears have begun on 08:24 - Feb 3 with 4424 viewsartsbossbeard

The Sun smears have begun on 08:16 - Feb 3 by itfcjoe

Just read the article, is serious muck raking - that £450 to a firm who represented Qatada before he was an MP - but when 'fighting for a seat'

Just deliberately vague and misleading, but him and his team will need to handle it and sure they will

There's also the "quick glance insinuation over a mug of tea" that there was some involvement with aiding a terrorist too, which is a nice touch.

"How can you lot select him? He's no better than Comrade Corbs??" etc, etc..

Mud sticks.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

The Sun smears have begun on 08:32 - Feb 3 with 4391 viewsHerbivore

The Sun smears have begun on 08:12 - Feb 3 by GlasgowBlue

Because it’s a Tory supporting newspaper? I’m sure the Guardian ran similar stories re Johnson’s outside income when he was running for Tory leader. Although you are right if memory serves, the amounts were far higher.

But we need to get away from using the word “smear”. It’s a negative story based on fact. A smear is an attempt to “damage the reputation of (someone) by false accusations; slander”.

https://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/top-stories/data-lobo-mp-earnings-salaries-1-64

The Sun smears have begun on 08:42 - Feb 3 with 4352 viewsGlasgowBlue

The Sun smears have begun on 08:32 - Feb 3 by Herbivore

https://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/top-stories/data-lobo-mp-earnings-salaries-1-64

Yes far higher amounts and probably not covered in Tory supporting papers but published in papers less friendly to Boris Johnson.

In fact as I’m typing this I’ve checked the Sun and although they reported Johnson’s outside income, they portrayed it as Boris making a grand sacrifice by taking a pay cut if he became Tory Leader.

Iron Lion Zion

The Sun smears have begun on 08:44 - Feb 3 with 4350 viewsSteve_M

Still, at least when it's posted on here in three days time via the Express by Hampstead we can link back to this post.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

The Sun smears have begun on 08:54 - Feb 3 with 4311 viewsStokieBlue

It's a very poor article, especially the bits about trying to "nobble Brexit" and Abu Hamza which feed into the narrative the Sun want to portray.

I do think that up to a point GB is correct though, similar stories on Boris earnings were published in the Guardian but weren't held up as smears, in fact they were cited as examples against him. This article is worse but there does seem to be quite a bit of partisanship in interpreting these types of articles.

It's also the Sun, it's drivel for the true believers.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

The Sun smears have begun on 08:57 - Feb 3 with 4295 viewsHerbivore

The Sun smears have begun on 08:54 - Feb 3 by StokieBlue

It's a very poor article, especially the bits about trying to "nobble Brexit" and Abu Hamza which feed into the narrative the Sun want to portray.

I do think that up to a point GB is correct though, similar stories on Boris earnings were published in the Guardian but weren't held up as smears, in fact they were cited as examples against him. This article is worse but there does seem to be quite a bit of partisanship in interpreting these types of articles.

It's also the Sun, it's drivel for the true believers.

SB

The story with Johnson was that his outside earnings were the highest of any MP. That's newsworthy I would say. Starmer doesn't even crack the top 10 for outside earnings (not even close) yet the Sun seem to be portraying his income as being outrageous. It's rather dishonest.
[Post edited 3 Feb 2020 8:59]

The Sun smears have begun on 08:58 - Feb 3 with 4289 viewsDarth_Koont

GB lecturing others on facts, smears and the subtle difference between the two.

That's made my morning and it isn't even 9 o'clock.

Pronouns: He/Him

The Sun smears have begun on 09:00 - Feb 3 with 4269 viewsHARRY10

The Sun smears have begun on 08:24 - Feb 3 by artsbossbeard

There's also the "quick glance insinuation over a mug of tea" that there was some involvement with aiding a terrorist too, which is a nice touch.

"How can you lot select him? He's no better than Comrade Corbs??" etc, etc..

Mud sticks.

'Mud sticks'

As we have seen with brexit. Where the simple minded have been fed over forty years lie after lie about the EU.

Unsurprisingly one of the chief providers has been Peffel Johnson. And looking at the nonsense below one has to assume that such was his, and others, contempt for the thickos that they trusted that such utter old bollox would be believed

Have a read and you will soon see where brexiteers got their 'evidence' from about the EU.

https://tompride.wordpress.com/2017/12/05/see-20-years-of-fake-news-about-eu-by-
The Sun smears have begun on 09:03 - Feb 3 with 4242 viewsStokieBlue

The Sun smears have begun on 08:57 - Feb 3 by Herbivore

The story with Johnson was that his outside earnings were the highest of any MP. That's newsworthy I would say. Starmer doesn't even crack the top 10 for outside earnings (not even close) yet the Sun seem to be portraying his income as being outrageous. It's rather dishonest.
[Post edited 3 Feb 2020 8:59]

As I said, it's a poor article.

The reference point isn't his position on the list, it's him running for leader, in the same way it was for Boris.

I'm not defending the Sun though - it's ridiculous and we need to find a way of stopping these types of articles because it's difficult to riposte them once they are out there.

SB

The Sun smears have begun on 09:05 - Feb 3 with 4223 viewsStokieBlue

The Sun smears have begun on 09:00 - Feb 3 by HARRY10

'Mud sticks'

As we have seen with brexit. Where the simple minded have been fed over forty years lie after lie about the EU.

Unsurprisingly one of the chief providers has been Peffel Johnson. And looking at the nonsense below one has to assume that such was his, and others, contempt for the thickos that they trusted that such utter old bollox would be believed

Have a read and you will soon see where brexiteers got their 'evidence' from about the EU.

https://tompride.wordpress.com/2017/12/05/see-20-years-of-fake-news-about-eu-by-

Good to see you've taken on board my points from the other day...

"simple-minded"
"thickos"

You're not going to change the narrative of achieve any meaningful change in the way I am sure most of us want by continuing the daily insults. You're becoming part of the problem with this type of language. You are only going to entrench people further.

SB

The Sun smears have begun on 09:11 - Feb 3 with 4192 viewsGlasgowBlue

The Sun smears have begun on 08:58 - Feb 3 by Darth_Koont

GB lecturing others on facts, smears and the subtle difference between the two.

That's made my morning and it isn't even 9 o'clock.

Hmmm. Joining a thread for no other reason than to have a pop at me. Your life must be pretty sad mate.

Iron Lion Zion

The Sun smears have begun on 09:13 - Feb 3 with 4182 viewsDarth_Koont

The Sun smears have begun on 09:11 - Feb 3 by GlasgowBlue

Hmmm. Joining a thread for no other reason than to have a pop at me. Your life must be pretty sad mate.

And now a massive dollop of hypocrisy.

You're on fire!

Pronouns: He/Him

The Sun smears have begun on 09:13 - Feb 3 with 4180 viewsHerbivore

The Sun smears have begun on 09:03 - Feb 3 by StokieBlue

As I said, it's a poor article.

The reference point isn't his position on the list, it's him running for leader, in the same way it was for Boris.

I'm not defending the Sun though - it's ridiculous and we need to find a way of stopping these types of articles because it's difficult to riposte them once they are out there.

SB

Hmmm. Not sure about that. The article that I linked is based on a report about MPs' outside earnings and Boris happened to be easily top in terms of those earnings, with several other prominent Tory MPs (mainly Brexiteers interestingly) not far behind. That Johnson is also PM makes the story of greater interest but outside earnings and who makes the most would be a news story regardless and other MPs' earnings are included for context. This story on Starmer is manufactured to make it look like he's doing something that he shouldn't be when there are many other MPs earning far more and often doing it in ways that are more questionable than offering legal advice as a barrister, and according to the article a fair bit of the work they're including even pre-dated him becoming an MP. I think it's a huge false equivalence to compare this story to reports of Johnson's outside earnings when you look at the context.

The Sun smears have begun on 09:24 - Feb 3 with 4129 viewsGlasgowBlue

The Sun smears have begun on 09:13 - Feb 3 by Herbivore

Hmmm. Not sure about that. The article that I linked is based on a report about MPs' outside earnings and Boris happened to be easily top in terms of those earnings, with several other prominent Tory MPs (mainly Brexiteers interestingly) not far behind. That Johnson is also PM makes the story of greater interest but outside earnings and who makes the most would be a news story regardless and other MPs' earnings are included for context. This story on Starmer is manufactured to make it look like he's doing something that he shouldn't be when there are many other MPs earning far more and often doing it in ways that are more questionable than offering legal advice as a barrister, and according to the article a fair bit of the work they're including even pre-dated him becoming an MP. I think it's a huge false equivalence to compare this story to reports of Johnson's outside earnings when you look at the context.

We have an imbalance of media ownership/bias in this country. The Tory biased media is far more powerful and has a wider circulation than those who support Labour.

If you look at the Mirror’s (pro Labour) coverage of Johnson’s outside income it is far more sensationalist than the article you linked or that of the Guardian.

The biggest take I get from this is that although there has always been an imbalance as long as I can remember, there is no longer a Tory equivalent of the Guardian. The Telegraph has completely dumbed down to the level of the Mail or the Express.
[Post edited 3 Feb 2020 9:24]

Iron Lion Zion

The Sun smears have begun on 09:26 - Feb 3 with 4106 viewsGlasgowBlue

The Sun smears have begun on 09:13 - Feb 3 by Darth_Koont

And now a massive dollop of hypocrisy.

You're on fire!

Can you please stop trying to derail a thread where grown ups are attempting to converse in a civil manner? Thanks in advance.

Iron Lion Zion

The Sun smears have begun on 09:27 - Feb 3 with 4104 viewsStokieBlue

The Sun smears have begun on 09:13 - Feb 3 by Herbivore

And I've said it's s poor article.

It's also one which wouldn't have been written if he wasn't going for leader - that's the equivalence, not the scale of the issue or the fact there isn't really an issue with Starmer at all.

I think it's wishful thinking to believe that either side aren't going to publish things along these lines, although I fully agree the Sun and the Daily Mail are far worse offenders.

SB

The Sun smears have begun on 09:27 - Feb 3 with 4102 viewsBrixtonBlue

I've said it before and I'll say it again, your brand of 'politics' disgusts me. And in fact it's this sort of stuff that turns people off of politics. I dream of a day when politics is about what's best for the country, but it isn't and never will be. It's all about your side winning, at all costs.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024