Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
For all us meat eaters. 18:41 - Jan 31 with 4293 viewsPecker

My Wife is now vegan. She brought a magazine today and in there was an article on global warming. It claims that the production of meat omits more greenhouse gases than every car, plane and boat in the world. That can't be right, can it?
For all us meat eaters. on 18:42 - Jan 31 with 1805 viewsNthsuffolkblue

No, it can't. It is "emits" not "omits".

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

For all us meat eaters. on 18:45 - Jan 31 with 1791 viewsPecker

For all us meat eaters. on 18:42 - Jan 31 by Nthsuffolkblue

No, it can't. It is "emits" not "omits".

Sorry. Is it true?
For all us meat eaters. on 18:47 - Jan 31 with 1787 viewsmonytowbray

For all us meat eaters. on 18:45 - Jan 31 by Pecker

Sorry. Is it true?

Plenty of evidence and studies that say that, yes. Although some have been criticised for taking some liberties in their conclusions.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

For all us meat eaters. on 18:49 - Jan 31 with 1773 viewsDubtractor

Seems pretty improbable, however it is simple to conclude that all of those things are very bad for the environment and that we should all try and reduce use/consumption of them.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

For all us meat eaters. on 18:58 - Jan 31 with 1733 viewsNthsuffolkblue

For all us meat eaters. on 18:45 - Jan 31 by Pecker

Sorry. Is it true?

Not sure about the evidence. However, livestock produce methane that has a higher Global Warming Potential (more of a Greenhouse Gas) than carbon dioxide. I am not sure how much of the water vapour from vehicle emissions reaches the higher atmosphere but that also has a higher GWP. Also, they probably take into account land use and the assumption that livestock farming would otherwise see the land as forests. Those would absorb carbon dioxide and water.

It is not a straightforward calculation and may well depend whether the scientist making them is thorough and how impartial they are (or aren't). Both are occurring on a massive scale. Reducing both significantly can only help.

For all us meat eaters. on 19:02 - Jan 31 with 1718 viewsPecker

For all us meat eaters. on 18:58 - Jan 31 by Nthsuffolkblue

Not sure about the evidence. However, livestock produce methane that has a higher Global Warming Potential (more of a Greenhouse Gas) than carbon dioxide. I am not sure how much of the water vapour from vehicle emissions reaches the higher atmosphere but that also has a higher GWP. Also, they probably take into account land use and the assumption that livestock farming would otherwise see the land as forests. Those would absorb carbon dioxide and water.

It is not a straightforward calculation and may well depend whether the scientist making them is thorough and how impartial they are (or aren't). Both are occurring on a massive scale. Reducing both significantly can only help.

Thanks. You are an educated individual. That isn't meant as sarcastic.
For all us meat eaters. on 19:03 - Jan 31 with 1707 viewsFtnfwest

For all us meat eaters. on 18:58 - Jan 31 by Nthsuffolkblue

Assuming we all give up meat and livestock farming ends, wouldn’t they have to plant all that land with vegetables to make up for it, rather than forest?
For all us meat eaters. on 19:06 - Jan 31 with 1691 viewsNthsuffolkblue

For all us meat eaters. on 19:02 - Jan 31 by Pecker

Thanks. You are an educated individual. That isn't meant as sarcastic.

Thanks. I teach chemistry so that's how I know. Happy to help.

Login to get fewer ads

For all us meat eaters. on 19:06 - Jan 31 with 1693 viewsmonytowbray

For all us meat eaters. on 19:03 - Jan 31 by Ftnfwest

Assuming we all give up meat and livestock farming ends, wouldn’t they have to plant all that land with vegetables to make up for it, rather than forest?

We already grow enough plant based food to feed the world, but we use over 90% to feed animals to then eat. So in short, the answer would be no.

TWTD never forgets…

For all us meat eaters. on 19:09 - Jan 31 with 1680 viewsNthsuffolkblue

As I say, several assumptions have to be made. Not sure what ones would have been in the OP assertion.

Interestingly my wife has gone vegetarian (not full vegan) for the same reasons (although she also didn't go a bundle on most meat anyway). The consequence is I have cut meat consumption considerably. Happy to do so but will still eat it when I can. Also have reduced red meat consumption for some time now as it is considered more of an impact than white meat.

For all us meat eaters. on 19:13 - Jan 31 with 1647 viewsFtnfwest

For all us meat eaters. on 19:06 - Jan 31 by monytowbray

We already grow enough plant based food to feed the world, but we use over 90% to feed animals to then eat. So in short, the answer would be no.

Most of that’s grass, I’m not eating that!
For all us meat eaters. on 19:14 - Jan 31 with 1645 viewsHerbivore

Not all of it. So much crop growing land is used to grow feed for the meat and dairy industry. It's hugely inefficient.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

For all us meat eaters. on 19:15 - Jan 31 with 1643 viewsCoastalblue

The answer is insects, once we start ordering our Papa Johns with insects on top then a lot of these problems will disapear.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

For all us meat eaters. on 19:18 - Jan 31 with 1635 viewsNthsuffolkblue

For all us meat eaters. on 19:13 - Jan 31 by Ftnfwest

Not sure that most livestock eats grass nowadays. Not even sure how much livestock eats exclusively plant matter even - do you remember the BSE scare and did you follow its cause?

As I say, somewhere along the line most studies are likely to have made assumptions. How accurate they are would need closer inspection.

Also, as I say, reducing both use of fossil fuels and meat consumption can't do any harm and would almost certainly help if done on a large scale.

For all us meat eaters. on 19:21 - Jan 31 with 1618 viewsNthsuffolkblue

For all us meat eaters. on 19:14 - Jan 31 by Herbivore

Not all of it. So much crop growing land is used to grow feed for the meat and dairy industry. It's hugely inefficient.

You are right, it is. However, how much of that land would genuinely return to forest? How much would simply be grassland for other reasons/purposes? How much is marshy land and how much mountain/hill-side? How much would be managed with machinery if it wasn't grazed?

As I say, many variables that I suspect haven't been thoroughly considered. Maybe they have in some studies. I haven't looked at any in great detail.

For all us meat eaters. on 19:22 - Jan 31 with 1608 viewsFtnfwest

For all us meat eaters. on 19:15 - Jan 31 by Coastalblue

The answer is insects, once we start ordering our Papa Johns with insects on top then a lot of these problems will disapear.

Does butterfly chicken count?
For all us meat eaters. on 19:29 - Jan 31 with 1585 viewsPecker

For all us meat eaters. on 19:15 - Jan 31 by Coastalblue

Not sure about that. They reckon that this China virus is because they eat bats. What kind of things will we catch if we start eating flies and stuff.
For all us meat eaters. on 19:32 - Jan 31 with 1579 viewsmonytowbray

For all us meat eaters. on 19:13 - Jan 31 by Ftnfwest

Actually it’s soy.

TWTD never forgets…

For all us meat eaters. on 19:34 - Jan 31 with 1570 viewsEly_Blue

If Texas gave up beef production then we’d all be ok

Poll: Will you still buy a Season Ticket for next year in league 1

For all us meat eaters. on 19:34 - Jan 31 with 1571 viewsmonytowbray

For all us meat eaters. on 19:29 - Jan 31 by Pecker

Not sure about that. They reckon that this China virus is because they eat bats. What kind of things will we catch if we start eating flies and stuff.

That’s ill-informed racist nonsense really. The flu virus doesn’t work like that.

TWTD never forgets…

For all us meat eaters. on 19:35 - Jan 31 with 1564 viewsjeera

For all us meat eaters. on 19:22 - Jan 31 by Ftnfwest

Does butterfly chicken count?

It's a well-known fact that chicken is a type of larger, plumper insect.

With 2 legs and feathers.

And comes in a spiced butter sauce.

Edit: butterfly, not butter? I think I saw what I wanted there.
[Post edited 31 Jan 2020 19:37]

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

For all us meat eaters. on 19:35 - Jan 31 with 1563 viewsmonytowbray

For all us meat eaters. on 19:34 - Jan 31 by Ely_Blue

If Texas gave up beef production then we’d all be ok

What evidence is there for that? Not heard that one before.

TWTD never forgets…

For all us meat eaters. on 19:37 - Jan 31 with 1548 viewsmonytowbray

For all us meat eaters. on 19:35 - Jan 31 by jeera

It's a well-known fact that chicken is a type of larger, plumper insect.

With 2 legs and feathers.

And comes in a spiced butter sauce.

Edit: butterfly, not butter? I think I saw what I wanted there.
[Post edited 31 Jan 2020 19:37]

Chickens are great pets. Amazingly a lot of the animals we think are normal to eat are just as cute/fun/social as the ones we consider pets.

In fact I’d go as far to sat many animals we eat are no where near as big a d1ck as cats are.

TWTD never forgets…

For all us meat eaters. on 19:38 - Jan 31 with 1541 viewsEly_Blue

For all us meat eaters. on 19:32 - Jan 31 by monytowbray

Actually it’s soy.

And we all know how bad for the planet soy is don’t we! It’s the next palm oil scandal waiting to happen the amount of land that is being taken over to plant soy (that’s without mentioning the GMO aspect and what that could bring further down the line)

Poll: Will you still buy a Season Ticket for next year in league 1

For all us meat eaters. on 19:39 - Jan 31 with 1535 viewsPecker

For all us meat eaters. on 19:34 - Jan 31 by monytowbray

That’s ill-informed racist nonsense really. The flu virus doesn’t work like that.

It was on the news. What is racist about it anyway?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024