Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Youngest captain? 14:02 - Dec 1 with 2341 viewsPhilTWTD

Just thinking that Downes at 20 could be our youngest ever captain. Remember anyone younger skippering?
Youngest captain? on 14:05 - Dec 1 with 2329 viewssolemio

No
Youngest captain? on 14:11 - Dec 1 with 2315 viewsSitfcB

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Youngest captain? on 14:26 - Dec 1 with 2257 viewsZedRodgers

How old was Mills? 22?

Assume Holland was 23/24ish

I’d be happy with Downes becoming full time captain in the next two seasons unless we bring an experienced CB in to replace Chambers who fits the bill.

No, not at the moment

Youngest captain? on 14:37 - Dec 1 with 2232 viewsPhilTWTD

Youngest captain? on 14:11 - Dec 1 by SitfcB

Beat was younger than Brennan when he captained when Town visited Carlisle in January 1975, 21 years and a month. I was thinking he might have been the youngest. Millsy was 23.
Youngest captain? on 15:06 - Dec 1 with 2064 viewsSuperblue95

Youngest captain? on 14:05 - Dec 1 by solemio

No

Hi MaySixth!

My hobbies include being quiet during trips, clapping with songs, and diabetes.
Poll: Englands player of the tournament

Youngest captain? on 15:13 - Dec 1 with 2049 viewsitfcjoe

Youngest captain? on 14:37 - Dec 1 by PhilTWTD

Beat was younger than Brennan when he captained when Town visited Carlisle in January 1975, 21 years and a month. I was thinking he might have been the youngest. Millsy was 23.

TMWMTT has that game down as Mick Mills not The Beat, did he have the armband or maybe lead the team out?

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Youngest captain? on 15:26 - Dec 1 with 2013 viewsNo9

Good news, let us hope PL is going to rign the changes
Not before time
Hope this team wins
Youngest captain? on 15:30 - Dec 1 with 2003 viewsPhilTWTD

Youngest captain? on 15:13 - Dec 1 by itfcjoe

TMWMTT has that game down as Mick Mills not The Beat, did he have the armband or maybe lead the team out?

Was given the captaincy for the day as he was back at Carlisle. He used to talk about it a fair bit. Not sure captains had armbands in those days!

[Edit] Is mentioned on Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kevin_Beattie

This post has been edited by an administrator
Login to get fewer ads

Youngest captain? on 15:59 - Dec 1 with 1911 viewssolemio

Youngest captain? on 15:06 - Dec 1 by Superblue95

Hi MaySixth!

May 6th. The day before my birthday.
Youngest captain? on 09:32 - Dec 2 with 1690 viewsPhilTWTD

Youngest captain? on 15:30 - Dec 1 by PhilTWTD

Was given the captaincy for the day as he was back at Carlisle. He used to talk about it a fair bit. Not sure captains had armbands in those days!

[Edit] Is mentioned on Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kevin_Beattie

Here you go, from Rob Finch's Beat biography.

Youngest captain? on 09:39 - Dec 2 with 1668 viewsunstableblue

How did he play yesterday Phil?

I thought first half against Blackpool he looked upper Championship class. Very composed, controlled aggression, and classy passing.

He looks better than Noble at the same stage of his career when on loan here.

Do you think Garbutt could be bought if we get promoted? He is becoming a very key player for us. And would take some replacing!!

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Youngest captain? on 09:45 - Dec 2 with 1631 viewsPhilTWTD

Youngest captain? on 09:39 - Dec 2 by unstableblue

How did he play yesterday Phil?

I thought first half against Blackpool he looked upper Championship class. Very composed, controlled aggression, and classy passing.

He looks better than Noble at the same stage of his career when on loan here.

Do you think Garbutt could be bought if we get promoted? He is becoming a very key player for us. And would take some replacing!!

Garbutt's out of contract so I would expect us to go for him at the end of the season and he's said he'dbe keen, although implied that that might depend on being in the Championship.

I like the Noble comparison, think there are similarities, although I think FD has played far more senior games than MN had when he was here. Thought he did well yesterday, makes so many challenges and wins tackles you don't think he should win.

Midfield-wise, I thought we kept possession well yesterday, better than we have for a while, aside from some early sloppiness which might have led to Coventry goals on a couple of occasions. But thought we lacked tempo before the break, we passed it without it going anywhere for the most part, but upped it early in the second half. Thought we were too content to sit back towards the end and allowed them the late opportunities they had and eventually the goal.
Youngest captain? on 10:10 - Dec 2 with 1575 viewsunstableblue

Youngest captain? on 09:45 - Dec 2 by PhilTWTD

Garbutt's out of contract so I would expect us to go for him at the end of the season and he's said he'dbe keen, although implied that that might depend on being in the Championship.

I like the Noble comparison, think there are similarities, although I think FD has played far more senior games than MN had when he was here. Thought he did well yesterday, makes so many challenges and wins tackles you don't think he should win.

Midfield-wise, I thought we kept possession well yesterday, better than we have for a while, aside from some early sloppiness which might have led to Coventry goals on a couple of occasions. But thought we lacked tempo before the break, we passed it without it going anywhere for the most part, but upped it early in the second half. Thought we were too content to sit back towards the end and allowed them the late opportunities they had and eventually the goal.

Thanks Phil very interesting insight.

Feels like we’re beginning to finally know how to hold the ball and dominate in midfield, easier I think this league with teams sitting back, but agree we need to turn this into more threat in the opposition box. Can’t help but feel Nolan isn’t quite doing enough, providing enough of a threat and pulling players off the wide men, striker.

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Youngest captain? on 10:14 - Dec 2 with 1567 viewsPhilTWTD

Youngest captain? on 10:10 - Dec 2 by unstableblue

Thanks Phil very interesting insight.

Feels like we’re beginning to finally know how to hold the ball and dominate in midfield, easier I think this league with teams sitting back, but agree we need to turn this into more threat in the opposition box. Can’t help but feel Nolan isn’t quite doing enough, providing enough of a threat and pulling players off the wide men, striker.

I think we've been poorer at out-and-out possession football, so to speak, than we were last season for much of this, which was why I made the point about yesterday's display. Certainly I can't remember us dominating too many games in the manner we did against Stoke, Derby, West Brom and one or two others last season, all games we really should have won. Indeed, a player told me he couldnt believe we hadn't won games like those, citing the Derby match specifically.
Youngest captain? on 13:35 - Dec 9 with 1295 viewsPhilTWTD

Youngest captain? on 09:32 - Dec 2 by PhilTWTD

Here you go, from Rob Finch's Beat biography.

Further to this, TWTD historian James has dug out this to confirm Beat was indeed the youngest-ever captain prior to Flynn Downes, aged 21 and exactly a month.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024