Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Another night, another what if... 21:49 - May 16 with 2239 viewsSitfcB

Jack Ross.

He was the one wasn’t he.

Much more excitement around when he was rumoured to be coming than Hurst.

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Another night, another what if... on 21:52 - May 16 with 2193 viewspointofblue

Sunderland fans have been complaining about him being too defensive, making a mess of their challenge in League One considering they were a Premier League side two seasons ago thanks to 19 draws.

Yes, Hurst made a mess of it. But there's NOTHING to say Ross, Lampard, Steijn or Doris the tealady would have took the division by storm.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Another night, another what if... on 21:56 - May 16 with 2155 viewsPJH

Another night, another what if... on 21:52 - May 16 by pointofblue

Sunderland fans have been complaining about him being too defensive, making a mess of their challenge in League One considering they were a Premier League side two seasons ago thanks to 19 draws.

Yes, Hurst made a mess of it. But there's NOTHING to say Ross, Lampard, Steijn or Doris the tealady would have took the division by storm.

Although we might not have got relegated with Doris the tealady.
Another night, another what if... on 21:56 - May 16 with 2150 viewsElderGrizzly

A 0-0 away from home. 3 defensive midfielders.

Sounds familiar 😬
Another night, another what if... on 21:58 - May 16 with 2126 viewsPJH

Another night, another what if... on 21:56 - May 16 by ElderGrizzly

A 0-0 away from home. 3 defensive midfielders.

Sounds familiar 😬

Achieved what they wanted to achieve so what is the problem?
Another night, another what if... on 22:02 - May 16 with 2094 viewsMrTown

V difficult argument to compare, not in the same league, different budgets, different players. It’s like the Lampard debate, again v hard to compare.

What I would say is that realistically with the resources at hand Sunderland should have topped that league by 6+ points. Their budget and player resource, and support is ridiculous for that division.

Poll: Would love to know the opinions on here now of Lambert genuinely?

Another night, another what if... on 22:03 - May 16 with 2079 viewsitfcjoe

He was

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Another night, another what if... on 22:03 - May 16 with 2078 viewspointofblue

Another night, another what if... on 21:58 - May 16 by PJH

Wasn't that the argument used for Mick? When it all goes wrong is when the issues start.

Another night, another what if... on 22:06 - May 16 with 2069 viewspointofblue

Another night, another what if... on 22:02 - May 16 by MrTown

V difficult argument to compare, not in the same league, different budgets, different players. It’s like the Lampard debate, again v hard to compare.

What I would say is that realistically with the resources at hand Sunderland should have topped that league by 6+ points. Their budget and player resource, and support is ridiculous for that division.

And to put it in perspective, the team on the biggest budget with the biggest support in the division were beaten to the top two spots by Luton and Barnsley.

Login to get fewer ads

Another night, another what if... on 22:07 - May 16 with 2061 viewsPJH

Another night, another what if... on 22:03 - May 16 by pointofblue

Wasn't that the argument used for Mick? When it all goes wrong is when the issues start.

That was in the days that results mattered...oh.
Another night, another what if... on 22:10 - May 16 with 2041 viewsElderGrizzly

Another night, another what if... on 21:58 - May 16 by PJH

Nothing. I was being very tongue in cheek.

He has been criticised on Sunderland forums for being too defensive all season too though
Another night, another what if... on 22:12 - May 16 with 2014 viewsPJH

Another night, another what if... on 22:10 - May 16 by ElderGrizzly

Nothing. I was being very tongue in cheek.

He has been criticised on Sunderland forums for being too defensive all season too though

Sorry, I thought you were saying it was wrong.

I doubt if many Sunderland supporters are complaining tonight.
Another night, another what if... on 22:14 - May 16 with 1993 viewspointofblue

Another night, another what if... on 22:12 - May 16 by PJH

Sorry, I thought you were saying it was wrong.

I doubt if many Sunderland supporters are complaining tonight.

I think they're complaining they didn't go up top two considering the resources at their disposal. £4m for a striker in the summer - half the sides in the Championship couldn't afford that!

Another night, another what if... on 22:14 - May 16 with 1989 viewsm14_blue

Ross may well turn out to be a great manager but nothing he’s achieved so far at Sunderland proves it yet.

Finishing in the play offs is the absolute bare minimum for that squad and they’ve done it playing some pretty attritional football. I’ve seen them a few times and certainly haven’t seen anything like the free flowing stuff from those St Mirren videos that got us all excited.

Seems like a decent bloke though and I hope they do go up as they’re extremely unlikely to have such an average league campaign again next time round if they’re still in L1.
Another night, another what if... on 22:19 - May 16 with 1938 viewsPJH

Another night, another what if... on 22:14 - May 16 by pointofblue

I think they're complaining they didn't go up top two considering the resources at their disposal. £4m for a striker in the summer - half the sides in the Championship couldn't afford that!

Very true but their object for tonight was to get to Wembley, job done.

My earlier response was to a post which I thought was being critical of them getting a 0-0 when a 0-0 was a perfectly adequate result.
Another night, another what if... on 22:19 - May 16 with 1937 viewsMrTown

Attracting a £4m from the Championship to League 1 in January isn’t cheap. As well as Leadbitter.
Add in Cattermole who is reportedly on 25k and McGeady reportedly on 30k.

Poll: Would love to know the opinions on here now of Lambert genuinely?

Another night, another what if... on 22:32 - May 16 with 1856 viewsFtnfwest

Based on tonight Pompey were shocking, Sunderland just watched them being shocking. Provided Charlton don’t cock it up tomorrow, they should win easily
Another night, another what if... on 23:00 - May 16 with 1779 viewsElderGrizzly

Final season of parachute payments too, so they had an extra £15m to play with
Another night, another what if... on 23:44 - May 16 with 1686 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Certainly no better than getting Shrewsbury to the League 1 play off final.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Another night, another what if... on 01:41 - May 17 with 1615 viewsbournemouthblue

Another night, another what if... on 21:52 - May 16 by pointofblue

The continual theme in various manager's failure with us is Evans

He sacked Magilton after an ordinary season where we finished 9th in the end. That would have been okay had he have secured a quality replacement but instead he went for Keane.

Then he got Jewel who was good at Wigan and Bradford but shocking elsewhere, sadly we got the latter version and like Keane, he hasn't managed since?

McCarthy was his best appointment and finally he seemed to work alright with him before seemingly giving up any genuine ambition to investment since we have sold Murphy. You do wonder if his heart is still in it?

The Hurst appointment turned into a disaster but only Evans will know what he told Hurst when it came to selling the likes of Waghorn, Garner and Webster and replacing them with overpriced lower League hopefuls.

Lambert could be good, besides being a good PR man and trying to play positive football, the jury remains out until this season where we can truly judge is Lambert is any good or not.

He's had a free shot by inheriting Hurst's shockingly constructed team and struggling to do anything with it.

I genuinely think whoever got Ipswich in the summer would have had one arm tied behind their back, whatever their plans ultimately were. Gerrard and Lampard dodged a bullet, Ross if he was even considered again chose a bigger club a division below because he knew they were he better bet.

Hurst from the original link didn't excite me quite as much given the fact his Shrewsbury side didn't score a huge amount of goals. He seemed to be not unlike McCarthy besides being younger and up and coming. He sadly lacked any of McCarthy's calibre or know how. I'm sure he'll be a success elsewhere, albeit probably at League One or Two level where he knows the level that bit better.
[Post edited 17 May 2019 1:46]

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024