Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
British personnel involved in nuclear testing programmes - (pls sign petition) 12:35 - May 28 with 3002 viewsRyorry

Have been scandalously treated by a succession of UK governments. The personnel of all other countries involved, even the tiniest, have received recognition, compensation and medals. Not in the UK, where ridiculous bureaucracy and red tape have been put in the way (deliberately?) - e.g. on form they're obliged to fill in - "What was the doseage you were exposed to?"!!

Pls help rectify the situation! thanks if you do.

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/220170

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

British personnel involved in nuclear testing programmes - (pls sign petition) on 12:58 - May 28 with 2950 viewsStokieBlue

Nowhere near enough information on that page to determine what they are trying to achieve.

Do you have a more thorough source?

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

British personnel involved in nuclear testing programmes - (pls sign petition) on 13:08 - May 28 with 2938 viewsnoggin

Wouldn't giving them a medal somehow legitimise the whole thing? I don't know but an apology and compensation would seem more sincere to me.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

British personnel involved in nuclear testing programmes - (pls sign petition) on 13:15 - May 28 with 2922 viewsRyorry

British personnel involved in nuclear testing programmes - (pls sign petition) on 12:58 - May 28 by StokieBlue

Nowhere near enough information on that page to determine what they are trying to achieve.

Do you have a more thorough source?

SB

Article in the Mirror this morning, and also on BBCR5l around 10-10.30am (Anna Foster I think, but not on iPlayer yet). Or just google & fill yer boots -

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/give-nuclear-heroes-medal-recognition-126

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/nuclear-veterans-told-no-case-fo

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/industry/defence/10611985/Forgo

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/nuclear-test-veterans-bid-1million-7147105

https://thediplomat.com/2017/09/grappling-with-the-bomb-60-years-after-britains-

https://www.commonspace.scot/articles/12672/empire-fallout-pacific-nuke-survivor

https://pacificnukes.wordpress.com/uk-vets/

http://press-files.anu.edu.au/downloads/press/n2626/pdf/introduction.pdf

British personnel involved in nuclear testing programmes - (pls sign petition) on 13:18 - May 28 with 2916 viewsRyorry

British personnel involved in nuclear testing programmes - (pls sign petition) on 13:08 - May 28 by noggin

Wouldn't giving them a medal somehow legitimise the whole thing? I don't know but an apology and compensation would seem more sincere to me.

They point out that personnel who get injured fighting in Afghanistan etc get medals, so it's an anomaly that they don't too. I agree with them. You could argue that giving medals for fighting in wars somehow legitimises wars too.

British personnel involved in nuclear testing programmes - (pls sign petition) on 13:19 - May 28 with 2913 viewsnoggin

British personnel involved in nuclear testing programmes - (pls sign petition) on 13:18 - May 28 by Ryorry

They point out that personnel who get injured fighting in Afghanistan etc get medals, so it's an anomaly that they don't too. I agree with them. You could argue that giving medals for fighting in wars somehow legitimises wars too.

I agree. I have a medal and it's lying at the back of a drawer with other junk.

British personnel involved in nuclear testing programmes - (pls sign petition) on 13:24 - May 28 with 2896 viewsRyorry

British personnel involved in nuclear testing programmes - (pls sign petition) on 13:19 - May 28 by noggin

I agree. I have a medal and it's lying at the back of a drawer with other junk.

So you don't value medal. But they do, and it's them that counts here.

British personnel involved in nuclear testing programmes - (pls sign petition) on 13:26 - May 28 with 2893 viewscrazyblue68

My Dad(who has since died) was one of those personnel. My family and l even have pics of the mushroom cloud that went up from the tests, as my Dads mate was a photographer, he did duplicate pics for himself and my Dad. We have quite a stack of interesting pics, whilst they were on Christmas lsland where the tests were carried out. My Dad was on the lsland for a year l believe.
British personnel involved in nuclear testing programmes - (pls sign petition) on 13:33 - May 28 with 2880 viewsRyorry

British personnel involved in nuclear testing programmes - (pls sign petition) on 13:26 - May 28 by crazyblue68

My Dad(who has since died) was one of those personnel. My family and l even have pics of the mushroom cloud that went up from the tests, as my Dads mate was a photographer, he did duplicate pics for himself and my Dad. We have quite a stack of interesting pics, whilst they were on Christmas lsland where the tests were carried out. My Dad was on the lsland for a year l believe.

A salute to your Dad.

One of the veterans on R5l this morning said they were told to shut their eyes and cover them with their hands. They could still see the bones of their hands through their shut eyes, like an X-ray. Horrific.

Login to get fewer ads

British personnel involved in nuclear testing programmes - (pls sign petition) on 13:36 - May 28 with 2869 viewsnoggin

British personnel involved in nuclear testing programmes - (pls sign petition) on 13:33 - May 28 by Ryorry

A salute to your Dad.

One of the veterans on R5l this morning said they were told to shut their eyes and cover them with their hands. They could still see the bones of their hands through their shut eyes, like an X-ray. Horrific.

Disgraceful treatment of human beings then and until this day.

British personnel involved in nuclear testing programmes - (pls sign petition) on 13:40 - May 28 with 2858 viewscrazyblue68

British personnel involved in nuclear testing programmes - (pls sign petition) on 13:33 - May 28 by Ryorry

A salute to your Dad.

My uncle was out there, he was never well when l was growing up, and my dad died of complications too. None of its ever been proved, but our families think it has a lot to do with the tests.
British personnel involved in nuclear testing programmes - (pls sign petition) on 15:45 - May 28 with 2739 viewstractorian

I did the last three months of my National Service on Christmas Island. This was long after the tests were completed (thank goodness) and it was being closed down. Even then, it was still possible to drive the fifteen or so miles down to where some of the bombs were exploded and pick up bits of the glass which was formed by the blasts.

Anyone else on here an old Grapple-hand?
British personnel involved in nuclear testing programmes - (pls sign petition) on 15:56 - May 28 with 2714 viewsfooters

A salute to your Dad.

This reminded me of Richard Feynman's hilarious and brilliant lecture on how he helped develop the first atomic bomb in the Manhattan Project. All the generals told everyone to wear dark glasses, which he refused to do as a) he wanted to see it properly and b) as one of the scientists developing it he knew it wouldn't hurt to watch.

Here's that moment at 1:03. I'd highly recommend listening to the whole thing. He's such an engaging speaker that you won't stop if you start!

[Post edited 28 May 2018 15:57]

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

British personnel involved in nuclear testing programmes - (pls sign petition) on 15:57 - May 28 with 2710 viewsLord_Lucan

British personnel involved in nuclear testing programmes - (pls sign petition) on 15:45 - May 28 by tractorian

I did the last three months of my National Service on Christmas Island. This was long after the tests were completed (thank goodness) and it was being closed down. Even then, it was still possible to drive the fifteen or so miles down to where some of the bombs were exploded and pick up bits of the glass which was formed by the blasts.

Anyone else on here an old Grapple-hand?

What's a Grapple Hand?

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

British personnel involved in nuclear testing programmes - (pls sign petition) on 16:02 - May 28 with 2698 viewstractorian

British personnel involved in nuclear testing programmes - (pls sign petition) on 15:57 - May 28 by Lord_Lucan

What's a Grapple Hand?

Anyone who was involved on Task Force Grapple.
British personnel involved in nuclear testing programmes - (pls sign petition) on 19:16 - May 28 with 2635 viewscrazyblue68

British personnel involved in nuclear testing programmes - (pls sign petition) on 15:57 - May 28 by Lord_Lucan

What's a Grapple Hand?

Operation Grapple. We still have the paperwork with all the info in it, my Dad got given when they went out there. Took them 6 weeks to get there on an aircraft carrier.
British personnel involved in nuclear testing programmes - (pls sign petition) on 23:15 - May 28 with 2575 viewsGuthrum

What's a Grapple Hand?

The "X" shot of Operation Grapple was the UK's first true Thermonuclear (Hydrogen) Bomb detonation. The yeild was about 80% higher than expected, affecting a much wider area than planned (including exposure of personnel).

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024