Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
EasyJet fee refund - Advice 09:19 - Mar 1 with 1868 viewsnrb1985

Hello All,

Looking for some advice. Flying from Geneva to Stanstead to see my parents in rural Suffolk tomorrow. Although I suspect the flight will depart the likelihood of somebody being able to collect me from the airport is very small, thus I want to re book to next week.

The actual cost of of re booking is tiny, c.£10 but they are trying to hit me with an additional £80 "admin fee" and are refusing to budge on this. This seems to be neither fair nor reasonable. Especially given there is no admin involved as I'm doing it myself on line.

Has anybody got any experience of this or successfully had such charges refunded?

Thanks in advance for any help.

N
EasyJet fee refund - Advice on 10:13 - Mar 1 with 1817 viewsCurrie10

I would imagine the admin fee - as laughable and annoying as it is - is in the small print of the original ticket you've booked unfortunately so doubt you've got any cause for them budging - wouldn't know unless looked into it.

Ryanair once cancelled a route from EMA to Tallinn and offered me a rebook. I went to ruddy Faro - twas an absolute dump. A day later I was on my way to Lisbon.
EasyJet fee refund - Advice on 10:17 - Mar 1 with 1806 viewswkj

Airlines are not obliged to offer redress on "force of nature" related cancellations unfortunately. When I traveled to Wichita KS we were snowed over in Chicago and they weren't gonna put me up in a hotel until I proved the plane was late due to technical issues and had it not i'd have made the last connection before the cancellation.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

EasyJet fee refund - Advice on 11:00 - Mar 1 with 1767 viewsconnorscontract

It's part of their business model. You bought a non-flexible ticket.

If they didn't do this then everybody could buy up the 9.99 seats and then switch. Maybe two or three times.It would be chaos. So these fees are a deterrent. Fly budget and if everything is fine, then everything is fine. But if your plans change, or you want to take an unusual piece of luggage, or the weather is bad, your ticket isn't flexible.

An analogy: I used to buy quite a lot of stuff from ebay. Maybe 1 or 2 transactions in 100 would have major faults or be not as described or even not turn up. They would take an inordinate amount of time to sort. So I just took the view that I had to factor the cost of these items in to the whole picture and not waste time chasing repayments. If ebay with a 2% loss rate still worked out cheaper than buying elsewhere then I was quids in.

In your case: how much have you saved over the years flying budget without problems, rather than buying a flexible ticket? Spread the cost of this £80 charge over all the budget flights you've ever taken and it still might make sense to fly budget. If it keeps happening it won't.

You win some, you lose some, but over all budget airlines work out cheaper for most passengers, even with these costs.
EasyJet fee refund - Advice on 12:06 - Mar 1 with 1695 viewsRadlett_blue

EasyJet fee refund - Advice on 11:00 - Mar 1 by connorscontract

If they didn't do this then everybody could buy up the 9.99 seats and then switch. Maybe two or three times.It would be chaos. So these fees are a deterrent. Fly budget and if everything is fine, then everything is fine. But if your plans change, or you want to take an unusual piece of luggage, or the weather is bad, your ticket isn't flexible.

An analogy: I used to buy quite a lot of stuff from ebay. Maybe 1 or 2 transactions in 100 would have major faults or be not as described or even not turn up. They would take an inordinate amount of time to sort. So I just took the view that I had to factor the cost of these items in to the whole picture and not waste time chasing repayments. If ebay with a 2% loss rate still worked out cheaper than buying elsewhere then I was quids in.

In your case: how much have you saved over the years flying budget without problems, rather than buying a flexible ticket? Spread the cost of this £80 charge over all the budget flights you've ever taken and it still might make sense to fly budget. If it keeps happening it won't.

You win some, you lose some, but over all budget airlines work out cheaper for most passengers, even with these costs.

Same with BA Business Class. You can buy a (relatively) cheap business class fare across the Atlantic, but if your plans change & you don't make your flight, you're screwed. However, you can pay more for a fully flexible business class fare & then you can switch flights at no cost. Same principle.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

EasyJet fee refund - Advice on 12:58 - Mar 1 with 1642 viewsnrb1985

EasyJet fee refund - Advice on 11:00 - Mar 1 by connorscontract

Yes I agree usually, I'm pretty philosophical on such things but I don't actually fly Easyjet v often, once or twice a year. Usually I fly BA or SWISS so in this instance I'm basically paying double as I'll likely miss this flight and have to book a new one next week.

I'm amazed though in this day and age they can get away with this. I understood charges like this had to be both fair and reasonable and £80 charge of admin, of which there is none, seems to be pretty farcical. And while it may be in their Ts & Cs doesn't make it lawful - as we saw with bank fines being capped for example. Just because I tell you I'm going to punch you in the face it doesn't make it legal.

I'm going to book another flight and then threaten them with some sort of legal action. Google has thrown up a few instance of people successfully making small claims against budget airlines so worth a shot.

Thanks all for your input.

N
EasyJet fee refund - Advice on 15:38 - Mar 1 with 1569 viewsconnorscontract

EasyJet fee refund - Advice on 12:58 - Mar 1 by nrb1985

Yes I agree usually, I'm pretty philosophical on such things but I don't actually fly Easyjet v often, once or twice a year. Usually I fly BA or SWISS so in this instance I'm basically paying double as I'll likely miss this flight and have to book a new one next week.

I'm amazed though in this day and age they can get away with this. I understood charges like this had to be both fair and reasonable and £80 charge of admin, of which there is none, seems to be pretty farcical. And while it may be in their Ts & Cs doesn't make it lawful - as we saw with bank fines being capped for example. Just because I tell you I'm going to punch you in the face it doesn't make it legal.

I'm going to book another flight and then threaten them with some sort of legal action. Google has thrown up a few instance of people successfully making small claims against budget airlines so worth a shot.

Thanks all for your input.

N

How much would a taxi from the airport to your parents be?
EasyJet fee refund - Advice on 16:01 - Mar 1 with 1556 viewsnrb1985

EasyJet fee refund - Advice on 15:38 - Mar 1 by connorscontract

How much would a taxi from the airport to your parents be?

Good shout but the issue is I don't think a taxi would be able to get there. Apparently they can't even get from their house to Bury today - a mere 5 mile drive. And more snow forecast for tomorrow sadly.

Flights re-booked now anyway for £90 so could of been worse.

Thanks for your suggestions though, much appreciated.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024