Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
the "mick teams defend well" myth 02:50 - Sep 25 with 5305 viewstextbackup

its really not true is it, many of our conceded goals are down to errors, poor errors. so does that put to bed that MM's teams defend well?
set up to frustrate teams, yes
set up to appear very strong, yes
in reality we have had CB's letting the ball bounce, letting strikers run at them, backing off etc etc...

(not a MM dig before you start)

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

the "mick teams defend well" myth on 03:18 - Sep 25 with 5287 viewsjas0999

Not convinced too many of our defenders would get into at least half of the other championship teams. It's personnel more than anything else.
the "mick teams defend well" myth on 03:24 - Sep 25 with 5287 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

As you say, I'm not sure his teams defends any better than other sides in the league.

It's just that he stops other teams playing by getting the midfield to match the oppositions creativity with stubbornness. And you very rarely see a mick team get rolled over which helps because of the high work rate and the fact he'd kill them if they stopped trying when behind.

Though at Cardiff away last season was the first and only time I felt the players attitudes could be questioned and (I'd hope), he laid into them afterwards. Though seeing 4 of them laughing and joking at Cardiff station with pizzas wasn't particularly pleasant.

But on the whole, his sides are based on stopping the other team from playing and then creating for ourselves after.

Poll: Would you take a draw tonight if offered right now?

the "mick teams defend well" myth on 03:25 - Sep 25 with 5280 viewsCurrie10

the "mick teams defend well" myth on 03:24 - Sep 25 by The_Romford_Blue

As you say, I'm not sure his teams defends any better than other sides in the league.

It's just that he stops other teams playing by getting the midfield to match the oppositions creativity with stubbornness. And you very rarely see a mick team get rolled over which helps because of the high work rate and the fact he'd kill them if they stopped trying when behind.

Though at Cardiff away last season was the first and only time I felt the players attitudes could be questioned and (I'd hope), he laid into them afterwards. Though seeing 4 of them laughing and joking at Cardiff station with pizzas wasn't particularly pleasant.

But on the whole, his sides are based on stopping the other team from playing and then creating for ourselves after.

Unfortunately a lot of players don't care as much as us, and it's just a job to them....

At times under Mick I've been very surprised at how shambolic we've been at the back.
the "mick teams defend well" myth on 03:30 - Sep 25 with 5272 viewsjas0999

the "mick teams defend well" myth on 03:24 - Sep 25 by The_Romford_Blue

A very fair assessment. Can't really argue with that.
the "mick teams defend well" myth on 05:29 - Sep 25 with 5237 viewsBenters

the "mick teams defend well" myth on 03:25 - Sep 25 by Currie10

Unfortunately a lot of players don't care as much as us, and it's just a job to them....

At times under Mick I've been very surprised at how shambolic we've been at the back.

This

Gentlybentley
Poll: Simple poll plane banner over Norwich

the "mick teams defend well" myth on 06:29 - Sep 25 with 5212 viewsGiveusaWave

Though Spence seems to care a great deal. Constantly working hard. Seems to be improving as a footballer too.

Poll: If we sign one player in the Jan window....

the "mick teams defend well" myth on 07:18 - Sep 25 with 5133 viewsArnieM

Aren't all goals by and large , down to errors!

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

the on 07:36 - Sep 25 with 5108 viewstextbackup

the "mick teams defend well" myth on 07:18 - Sep 25 by ArnieM

No.

Some just deserve to be applauded for being good team goals or individual brilliance.

But regardless of those, the same players/team making sloppy mistakes at the back ultimately falls at the feet of the guy/s coaching them. Does it not?
[Post edited 25 Sep 2017 7:38]

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Login to get fewer ads

the "mick teams defend well" myth on 08:12 - Sep 25 with 5055 viewsmos

You can only defend with what you have.

“Our slick new attacking side is being outpassed and outmaneuvered by Ipswich” - West Ham Forum
Poll: How do you think we will finish next season?

the "mick teams defend well" myth on 08:14 - Sep 25 with 5053 viewsbournemouthblue

We haven't been solid at the back for a few seasons now

Bart has got us out of jail a number of times. I don't think MM's attention to details is up there with someone like Pullis for example and that's ultimately why he remains in the Championship.

He can certainly get a team fit, hard working and relatively organised

For me his weaknesses have been
1) Having undroppable favourites
2) Making tactical substitutions too late
3) Being unwilling to roll the dice when in trouble
4) A lack of varied set piece plans to keep the opposition thinking

I'm sure there are more

I think he is a decent manager and one of the better ones on a budget but there are reasons he gets accused of not stepping up the Premiership

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

the "mick teams defend well" myth on 09:15 - Sep 25 with 5006 viewsKing_of_Portman_Rd

the "mick teams defend well" myth on 07:18 - Sep 25 by ArnieM

I would say that if our defenders made less errors then they probably wouldn't be playing for us..
We have a group of players that are comfortable mid table championship standard and as such, will make the odd error from time to time. If they dind't I'd expect us to be selling them for big bucks to a Premier League side.
the "mick teams defend well" myth on 09:18 - Sep 25 with 4998 viewsITFC_Forever

We've been conceding sloppy goals for three or more years now.... even in December 2014, arguably the best we've been under Mick, we still conceded poor goals, and it's not improved since.

We concede easy goals, and struggle to score enough ourself due to our ultra-cautious approach, so not a good combination.

P 1126, W 502, D 288, L 336, F 1711, A 1360
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

the "mick teams defend well" myth on 09:27 - Sep 25 with 4980 viewsHerbivore

the "mick teams defend well" myth on 09:18 - Sep 25 by ITFC_Forever

We've been conceding sloppy goals for three or more years now.... even in December 2014, arguably the best we've been under Mick, we still conceded poor goals, and it's not improved since.

We concede easy goals, and struggle to score enough ourself due to our ultra-cautious approach, so not a good combination.

We've scored 14 goals in 8 games. All sides in this league concede sloppy goals, it's the nature of the league. Saturday we were particularly bad for it but overall I don't think we're especially better or worse than anyone else in that regard. Look at Leeds, hadn't conceded at home all season and people were lauding how defensively sound they are and we scored two of the easiest goals we'll score all season and could have had another couple with a bit of luck.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

the "mick teams defend well" myth on 09:41 - Sep 25 with 4963 viewsSomethingBlue

Some of the goals we concede are very frustrating but it has to be tempered with the fact that every team in the Championship concedes sh6te goals. It's just that sort of league.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

the "mick teams defend well" myth on 09:52 - Sep 25 with 4937 viewsHerbivore

the "mick teams defend well" myth on 09:41 - Sep 25 by SomethingBlue

Some of the goals we concede are very frustrating but it has to be tempered with the fact that every team in the Championship concedes sh6te goals. It's just that sort of league.

It does strike me that despite us being in this bloody league for 15 years a lot of our fans still don't really get what the Championship is actually like.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

the "mick teams defend well" myth on 10:27 - Sep 25 with 4891 viewsJustSpivvyChops

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOM..........................on the 'ed son!

Unless the player is born and raised local, supported the team as a lad etc etc, they couldn't give a flying fook who they play for, it's all about the spondoonies they can negotiate with whatever club is after them and once that contract is signed, you'll get whatever they feel like giving.

How many times have we seen a player go from nothing to awesome in the space of a few weeks (at all levels)..............just as their contract is ending, a jolly coincidence it is not.
the "mick teams defend well" myth on 10:31 - Sep 25 with 4884 viewsNo9

considering how different the defenders have been for each gake I don't think the 3 man defence has done badly.
It would have done a lot better if the midfield had played further up rather than letting the opposition run the game in Town's half - my observations
the on 13:56 - Sep 25 with 4768 viewsBluesquid

the on 07:36 - Sep 25 by textbackup

No.

Some just deserve to be applauded for being good team goals or individual brilliance.

But regardless of those, the same players/team making sloppy mistakes at the back ultimately falls at the feet of the guy/s coaching them. Does it not?

Yeah, you'd think that wouldn't you?

Talking about mistakes, looking at the Leeds game i'd say Chambers for the first and then Chambers and Adeyemi(was right next to Philips but failed to track back - just strolls back) for the second.
the on 14:12 - Sep 25 with 4728 viewsITFC_Forever

the on 07:36 - Sep 25 by textbackup

No.

No... every goal can be prevented.

Win a tackle, don't give the ball away, close a man down, intercept a pass, track a runner, don't concede the set-piece / throw the goal game from etc.

P 1126, W 502, D 288, L 336, F 1711, A 1360
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024