Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
This McCarthy/Celina stuff 10:24 - Sep 11 with 4566 viewsBobbychase

You know Mick signed him right? As in, he's only at the club because Mick and his scouting team weighed it up and we got him from under the noses of other champ clubs.

The reaction since Saturday in some quarters has been like Celina came up through our youth ranks but Mick took a look at him and decided he was too fancy dan.

He signed him! Fecks sake.

Poll: Who's going to be at the Bolton game?

This McCarthy/Celina stuff on 10:28 - Sep 11 with 4534 viewsmonty_radio

Ah yes. Mick is always utterly faithful to any player under whose name he has signed his own - really?

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

This McCarthy/Celina stuff on 10:30 - Sep 11 with 4525 viewsSomethingBlue

A few people are being very strange about this, aren't they.

I think Celina needs to start on Saturday and that it may well become rapidly apparent that he is too good to leave out — but haven't seen anything untoward so far whatsoever. People are so keen to mould events to their own lazy preconceptions ....

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

This McCarthy/Celina stuff on 10:30 - Sep 11 with 4516 viewsBobbychase

This McCarthy/Celina stuff on 10:28 - Sep 11 by monty_radio

Ah yes. Mick is always utterly faithful to any player under whose name he has signed his own - really?

That's not my point. My point is that the Mick Out brigade will happily pick him up on the terrible signings (Bajner, Coke) but give zero credit when he signs a good player. Instead they complain he's not giving that player enough game time.

Debate is fine but the lack of even-handedness is irritating.

This McCarthy/Celina stuff on 10:31 - Sep 11 with 4497 viewsReuser_is_God

This McCarthy/Celina stuff on 10:30 - Sep 11 by SomethingBlue

I think Celina needs to start on Saturday and that it may well become rapidly apparent that he is too good to leave out — but haven't seen anything untoward so far whatsoever. People are so keen to mould events to their own lazy preconceptions ....

He was also ill for the whole pre season.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

This McCarthy/Celina stuff on 10:32 - Sep 11 with 4490 viewsKieran_Knows

NEVER, let facts get in the way on this forum/twitter.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

This McCarthy/Celina stuff on 10:32 - Sep 11 with 4485 viewsSomethingBlue

This McCarthy/Celina stuff on 10:31 - Sep 11 by Reuser_is_God

He was also ill for the whole pre season.

Exactly!

This McCarthy/Celina stuff on 10:33 - Sep 11 with 4478 viewshoppy

This McCarthy/Celina stuff on 10:30 - Sep 11 by Bobbychase

That's not my point. My point is that the Mick Out brigade will happily pick him up on the terrible signings (Bajner, Coke) but give zero credit when he signs a good player. Instead they complain he's not giving that player enough game time.

Debate is fine but the lack of even-handedness is irritating.

Indeed. He's even the same manager that brought in Ryan Fraser and Tom Lawrence...

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

This McCarthy/Celina stuff on 10:34 - Sep 11 with 4478 viewsBobbychase

I remember Ronaldo's first season at OT. Plenty of his early appearances were as a late substitute, presumably to get him used to the pace of the game. I'd humbly suggest Sir Alex knew what he was doing and it all worked out pretty well in the end.

PS: In a long saga of football fans knowing nothing, lots of people thought Ronaldo was a lightweight one-trick pony in his first season.

Login to get fewer ads

This McCarthy/Celina stuff on 10:35 - Sep 11 with 4452 viewsReuser_is_God

This McCarthy/Celina stuff on 10:34 - Sep 11 by Bobbychase

I remember Ronaldo's first season at OT. Plenty of his early appearances were as a late substitute, presumably to get him used to the pace of the game. I'd humbly suggest Sir Alex knew what he was doing and it all worked out pretty well in the end.

PS: In a long saga of football fans knowing nothing, lots of people thought Ronaldo was a lightweight one-trick pony in his first season.

It's not even like that.

The only reason he's not played as many minutes as people had hoped is down to him missing pre season, literally nothing else to it.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

This McCarthy/Celina stuff on 10:35 - Sep 11 with 4449 viewsBobbychase

This McCarthy/Celina stuff on 10:33 - Sep 11 by hoppy

Indeed. He's even the same manager that brought in Ryan Fraser and Tom Lawrence...

Yeah, the dinosaur. Lawrence used to keep hoofing it into the top corner, it's all he did.

This McCarthy/Celina stuff on 10:40 - Sep 11 with 4413 viewsCambonbleu

You have an unbeaten start to the season, so you keep a winning team.

Meanwhile, the lad who's been ill for the whole of pre-season is getting fit

The team loses 1 game - panic and make 11 changes? No - keep it consistent and see what happens.

We lose another game and Celina puts in an impressive cameo. Yes he may now get a start but prior to this, surely MM was just being a good manager with a settled successful team?

I don't really understand our fans sometimes

Poll: How many Season Ticket holders will ITFC have next season?
Blog: Why All the Positivity?

This McCarthy/Celina stuff on 10:42 - Sep 11 with 4412 viewsPhilTWTD

There does seem to be this idea that he doesn't work hard, which I don't think I've seen evidence of at all in the few games I've seen him play. In fact in the U23s last week the opposite was the case, he showed no signs of taking it lightly, unlike plenty of other senior players in the past.

His illness and the fact that the team had, until a couple of games ago, been winning every match seem to have been overlooked in favour of what, as you say, on the evidence so far, seems to be little other than preconceptions regarding a flair player and Mick's perceived prejudices player-wise.
This McCarthy/Celina stuff on 10:45 - Sep 11 with 4377 viewsSteve_M

On the positive side though, we've moved on from fans deciding he'll be sent back to Man City within a month.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

This McCarthy/Celina stuff on 10:55 - Sep 11 with 4319 viewstextbackup

He signed Oar but stuck Sears left mid ahead of him also

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

This McCarthy/Celina stuff on 10:56 - Sep 11 with 4317 viewsSomethingBlue

This McCarthy/Celina stuff on 10:42 - Sep 11 by PhilTWTD

There does seem to be this idea that he doesn't work hard, which I don't think I've seen evidence of at all in the few games I've seen him play. In fact in the U23s last week the opposite was the case, he showed no signs of taking it lightly, unlike plenty of other senior players in the past.

His illness and the fact that the team had, until a couple of games ago, been winning every match seem to have been overlooked in favour of what, as you say, on the evidence so far, seems to be little other than preconceptions regarding a flair player and Mick's perceived prejudices player-wise.

Exactly — all it comes from is preconceptions people have about these fancy foreign types and preconceptions people have about Mick. Celina has actually made a better start here than I thought he would — illness aside —
and if he keeps this up he'll eventually be in every week. You don't usually get as far as he has at City without being willing to work.
[Post edited 11 Sep 2017 11:05]

This McCarthy/Celina stuff on 10:58 - Sep 11 with 4309 viewschicoazul

Can he play in the same team as McG though? Would have thought they want to occupy similar spaces.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

This McCarthy/Celina stuff on 11:02 - Sep 11 with 4294 viewsSomethingBlue

This McCarthy/Celina stuff on 10:58 - Sep 11 by chicoazul

Can he play in the same team as McG though? Would have thought they want to occupy similar spaces.

That's a good question, although Celina does at least start wider. In theory those two could link up scintillatingly — but it'll take work.

This McCarthy/Celina stuff on 11:03 - Sep 11 with 4293 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

This McCarthy/Celina stuff on 10:55 - Sep 11 by textbackup

He signed Oar but stuck Sears left mid ahead of him also

In the FA Cup game I was in the box.. Pompey at home I believe.. Oar played from the start.

He was absolutely awful. In fact his attitude was the issue that day in my opinion. He looked quite sad about something. He was slumped in his stance for most of the game and hardly said a word to any of the players.

Poll: Would you take a draw tonight if offered right now?

This McCarthy/Celina stuff on 11:04 - Sep 11 with 4277 viewsJ2BLUE

People love looking for problems. A couple of weeks ago Adeyemi wasn't really ill, MM just didn't like him. He was the new Stewart according to a few on here. Now he has played so the tedious people desperate for everything to go tits up have moved on.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

This McCarthy/Celina stuff on 12:41 - Sep 11 with 4116 viewsFtnfwest

Where?
This McCarthy/Celina stuff on 12:54 - Sep 11 with 4045 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

This McCarthy/Celina stuff on 10:58 - Sep 11 by chicoazul

They linked up pretty well at Luton

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

This McCarthy/Celina stuff on 20:15 - Sep 11 with 3754 viewsKeaneish

I'm not sure what to make of Mick when it comes to wingers. He signs a few who never get a game, get released, ger dropped, played out of position or get replaced with strikers or midfielders playing out of position. On the other hand, he brings in quality like Lawrence and Fraser.

Wheres will Celina fit into this equation. He costs enough so say so hopefully it's the latter.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024