Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Wasn't someone running a sweepstake 18:34 - Jun 16 with 27655 viewsimsureazzure

on the date for the first riot?

16th or 17th of June for me.
Wasn't someone running a sweepstake on 18:37 - Jun 16 with 8793 viewstaximan

i do hope not
Wasn't someone running a sweepstake on 18:44 - Jun 16 with 8765 viewsvapour_trail

Wasn't someone running a sweepstake on 18:37 - Jun 16 by taximan

i do hope not

Well of course not. But it would hardly be surprising to see civil unrest after recent events.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

Wasn't someone running a sweepstake on 18:54 - Jun 16 with 8728 viewsvapour_trail

500 people marching on Downing Street apparently.

16th currently looking more likely.

Wasn't someone running a sweepstake on 18:56 - Jun 16 with 8715 viewstaximan

Wasn't someone running a sweepstake on 18:44 - Jun 16 by vapour_trail

Well of course not. But it would hardly be surprising to see civil unrest after recent events.

by "recent events" i presume you mean the fire

i fail to see how a tragedy such as this justifies rioting

what would they be rioting/protesting against ??
Wasn't someone running a sweepstake on 19:02 - Jun 16 with 8690 viewsvapour_trail

Wasn't someone running a sweepstake on 18:56 - Jun 16 by taximan

by "recent events" i presume you mean the fire

i fail to see how a tragedy such as this justifies rioting

what would they be rioting/protesting against ??

Of course I mean the fire.

I've not seen anybody justify rioting, where have you extrapolated that from? I did you offer approval to edl protesters assaulting the police last week, but there we go.

What do you think they might be protesting about in London this week?

Wasn't someone running a sweepstake on 19:07 - Jun 16 with 8672 viewstaximan

Wasn't someone running a sweepstake on 19:02 - Jun 16 by vapour_trail

Of course I mean the fire.

I've not seen anybody justify rioting, where have you extrapolated that from? I did you offer approval to edl protesters assaulting the police last week, but there we go.

What do you think they might be protesting about in London this week?

i'm sure the rioters will try to justify their actions one way or another
Wasn't someone running a sweepstake on 19:08 - Jun 16 with 8670 viewsimsureazzure

Wasn't someone running a sweepstake on 18:54 - Jun 16 by vapour_trail

That is a righteous protest and should be well supported.

Hope the nihilists do not hijack it.
Wasn't someone running a sweepstake on 19:09 - Jun 16 with 8662 viewsvapour_trail

Wasn't someone running a sweepstake on 19:07 - Jun 16 by taximan

i'm sure the rioters will try to justify their actions one way or another

You keep on cheering on the racists pal.

Login to get fewer ads

Wasn't someone running a sweepstake on 19:10 - Jun 16 with 8657 viewsvapour_trail

Wasn't someone running a sweepstake on 19:08 - Jun 16 by imsureazzure

That is a righteous protest and should be well supported.

Hope the nihilists do not hijack it.

I just don't see this ending well. There's far too much anger and there will be far too many people wanting a piece of it.

Wasn't someone running a sweepstake on 19:17 - Jun 16 with 8622 viewsElderGrizzly

Wasn't someone running a sweepstake on 18:54 - Jun 16 by vapour_trail

There will be a lot of people 'watching' something unfolding for tomorrow. Been told to expect more than 20,000 and Tommy Robinson's lot are apparently planning something too.

About 1,000 outside Downing Street tonight as well

Wasn't someone running a sweepstake on 19:17 - Jun 16 with 8625 viewschicoazul

Seems like people in Kensington are threatening the councillors who are responsible for giving them houses.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Wasn't someone running a sweepstake on 19:23 - Jun 16 with 8588 viewsvapour_trail

Wasn't someone running a sweepstake on 19:17 - Jun 16 by chicoazul

Seems like people in Kensington are threatening the councillors who are responsible for giving them houses.

Should they be offering thank you cards then?

Wasn't someone running a sweepstake on 19:31 - Jun 16 with 8562 viewsElderGrizzly

Wasn't someone running a sweepstake on 19:23 - Jun 16 by vapour_trail

Theresa May has been holed up on a church, while a portion of a crowd outside have been heard threatening to kill her.

And then they wondered why her detail wouldn't let her out to speak to them.

Wasn't someone running a sweepstake on 19:45 - Jun 16 with 8516 viewsgiant_stow

Wasn't someone running a sweepstake on 19:31 - Jun 16 by ElderGrizzly

Theresa May has been holed up on a church, while a portion of a crowd outside have been heard threatening to kill her.

And then they wondered why her detail wouldn't let her out to speak to them.

Heard by who?

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Wasn't someone running a sweepstake on 19:46 - Jun 16 with 8513 viewsElderGrizzly

Wasn't someone running a sweepstake on 19:45 - Jun 16 by giant_stow

Heard by who?

The media who were there reporting on it.
Wasn't someone running a sweepstake on 19:49 - Jun 16 with 8504 viewsNewcyBlue

Wasn't someone running a sweepstake on 19:46 - Jun 16 by ElderGrizzly

The media who were there reporting on it.

The media that are awfully sensationalist?

Unfortunately things will probably get blown out of all proportion and it is bound to boil over.

I can only hope that the protest stays peaceful, and that those that need help are given it. Quickly.

A summer of discontent.....

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

Wasn't someone running a sweepstake on 19:51 - Jun 16 with 8491 viewsElderGrizzly

Wasn't someone running a sweepstake on 19:49 - Jun 16 by NewcyBlue

The media that are awfully sensationalist?

Unfortunately things will probably get blown out of all proportion and it is bound to boil over.

I can only hope that the protest stays peaceful, and that those that need help are given it. Quickly.

A summer of discontent.....

Indeed. The focus should be on helping the residents and victims, but it is being hijacked by certain social media commentators to further their own cause.

[Post edited 16 Jun 2017 19:59]
Wasn't someone running a sweepstake on 19:54 - Jun 16 with 8484 viewsGuthrum

Wasn't someone running a sweepstake on 19:23 - Jun 16 by vapour_trail

It's been less than three days since it happened. They surely can't expect all relief work and accommodation to have been sorted already, let alone a proper investigation of the fire's causes?

Or, like the riots in 2011, are there people piggybacking on a genuine dispute as an excuse to kick off?

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Wasn't someone running a sweepstake on 20:00 - Jun 16 with 8444 viewsvapour_trail

Wasn't someone running a sweepstake on 19:54 - Jun 16 by Guthrum

It's been less than three days since it happened. They surely can't expect all relief work and accommodation to have been sorted already, let alone a proper investigation of the fire's causes?

Or, like the riots in 2011, are there people piggybacking on a genuine dispute as an excuse to kick off?

Perhaps they can return to their sports centres and wait for the volunteers to sort it out then.

There should be leadership in terms of delivering the humanitarian response, and leadership in terms of offering dialogue to people searching for their loved ones.

Both have been painfully absent.

Wasn't someone running a sweepstake on 20:18 - Jun 16 with 8395 viewsimsureazzure

Wasn't someone running a sweepstake on 20:00 - Jun 16 by vapour_trail

Perhaps they can return to their sports centres and wait for the volunteers to sort it out then.

There should be leadership in terms of delivering the humanitarian response, and leadership in terms of offering dialogue to people searching for their loved ones.

How they are not all in hotels amazes me, somebody should have already been appointed as disaster manager and be driving assistance and publically informing.
Wasn't someone running a sweepstake on 20:46 - Jun 16 with 8353 viewsGuthrum

Wasn't someone running a sweepstake on 20:00 - Jun 16 by vapour_trail

There's no point in somebody standing up and saying "we don't have any information yet" over and over again.

There are casualties in a number of different hospitals, which need to be identified and their names collated. There is no list of who was in the building at the time of the fire. Some uninjured survivors will have dispersed to stay with friends or relatives. The building is structurally unsafe, so it is not possible to search the place thoroughly, let alone recover and identify bodies.

There is not so much surplus housing that homes can immediately be found for over a hundred households, who have lost all their possessions.

The government have announced an inquiry, have provided £5m towards rehousing costs, Tory and Labour leaders have visited the site, the London Mayor is doing a decent job and yet none of that seems to be good enough.

People want instant answers when that's simply not possible.

Wasn't someone running a sweepstake on 20:49 - Jun 16 with 8342 viewsvapour_trail

Wasn't someone running a sweepstake on 20:46 - Jun 16 by Guthrum

There's no point in somebody standing up and saying "we don't have any information yet" over and over again.

There are casualties in a number of different hospitals, which need to be identified and their names collated. There is no list of who was in the building at the time of the fire. Some uninjured survivors will have dispersed to stay with friends or relatives. The building is structurally unsafe, so it is not possible to search the place thoroughly, let alone recover and identify bodies.

There is not so much surplus housing that homes can immediately be found for over a hundred households, who have lost all their possessions.

The government have announced an inquiry, have provided £5m towards rehousing costs, Tory and Labour leaders have visited the site, the London Mayor is doing a decent job and yet none of that seems to be good enough.

People want instant answers when that's simply not possible.

Completely unacceptable.

As azzure says, they should be in hotels, they're in one of the richest cities in the world.

I know people leading the charity effort on the ground, and I've no reason to doubt their verdict on the official response.

Nobody expects instant answers.

Wasn't someone running a sweepstake on 20:54 - Jun 16 with 8314 viewsElderGrizzly

Wasn't someone running a sweepstake on 20:49 - Jun 16 by vapour_trail

Completely unacceptable.

As azzure says, they should be in hotels, they're in one of the richest cities in the world.

I know people leading the charity effort on the ground, and I've no reason to doubt their verdict on the official response.

Nobody expects instant answers.

There are apparently 1300 empty homes, owned by overseas investors within a 2 square mile radius of the tower.

It has been suggested they are rehomed in there, but it makes me slightly uneasy at taking someones property in that way.

Hotels are hopefully an option, but i'm off to London tomorrow and struggled to find a room for 2, let alone accommodation for 200. Certainly not this quickly.

They need to do something quickly and i'm sure they are, but they at least need to see progress of some sort
Wasn't someone running a sweepstake on 20:58 - Jun 16 with 8281 viewsGuthrum

Wasn't someone running a sweepstake on 20:54 - Jun 16 by ElderGrizzly

There are apparently 1300 empty homes, owned by overseas investors within a 2 square mile radius of the tower.

It has been suggested they are rehomed in there, but it makes me slightly uneasy at taking someones property in that way.

Hotels are hopefully an option, but i'm off to London tomorrow and struggled to find a room for 2, let alone accommodation for 200. Certainly not this quickly.

They need to do something quickly and i'm sure they are, but they at least need to see progress of some sort

I'm less uneasy if they're currently empty. Compulsory purchase or letting might be an option.

Wasn't someone running a sweepstake on 20:59 - Jun 16 with 8279 viewsStokieBlue

Wasn't someone running a sweepstake on 20:54 - Jun 16 by ElderGrizzly

It's completely wrong to house them there. If you do that then why stop there? Seize all empty homes, disregard rights and house people there.

It's an awful situation and I want the people housed somewhere as soon as possible but we can't bypass the generally accepted ownership laws.

What should happen is that said investors should step forward and offer their homes for nothing or a token fee from the council or a donation to charity but we all know that won't happen which is sad.

I think the end result is that we need to look at property purchases at the point-of-sale. They shouldn't be sold to people who don't intend to use them and if they are empty for a period of time without a good reason (illness or suchlike) then massive fines should be levied (perhaps the stamp duty amount to be paid every year if they are empty).

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024