Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ultra Processed People 15:09 - Aug 14 with 1931 viewsitfcjoe

.......by 'Dr Chris' van Tulleken of the telly.

Has anyone read this? I started over weekend and have found it incredibly eye opening re ultra processed food with regards to the how, the why and to what it does to us.

Some fascinating insight, and is definitely something that is going to make me think about my diet more

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Ultra Processed People on 15:17 - Aug 14 with 1862 viewsJ2BLUE

I got the audiobook recently but haven't listened to it yet. Some of the Tim Spector stuff is very good on Youtube about processed food.
[Post edited 14 Aug 2023 15:35]

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Ultra Processed People on 15:44 - Aug 14 with 1750 viewsitfcjoe

Ultra Processed People on 15:17 - Aug 14 by J2BLUE

I got the audiobook recently but haven't listened to it yet. Some of the Tim Spector stuff is very good on Youtube about processed food.
[Post edited 14 Aug 2023 15:35]

I went down a bit of a YT rabbithole between them last night - scary stuff, especially as a parent

Ultra Processed People on 15:45 - Aug 14 with 1743 viewsDJR

This is a good site, from the people behind the Covid reporting app, and has a very good scientific basis.

https://joinzoe.com/

I haven't signed up to tests or the like but I get emails and podcasts from them, following on from my use of the app.

The latest podcast was a comparison of butter and margarine, the results of which are not what you might expect. But I actually took from it the fact that olive oil is the heathiest thing you can put on toast, and that is something I now do, just as I have for some time eaten tinned mackerel in olive oil, rather than in spring water, following an earlier podcast which indicated that certain fats are especially good for you.

Here's a link to the podcasts.

https://joinzoe.com/learn/category/podcasts

And if you haven't got the time to listen to the podcasts, you can speed-read the transcripts which is what I do.

EDIT: Tim Spector (who another poster has mentioned) is behind Zoe.
[Post edited 14 Aug 2023 17:09]
Ultra Processed People on 16:38 - Aug 14 with 1590 viewsStrimmer

Sounds interesting, as mentioned by others I'm very intrigued by Tim Spectors stuff on gut-biomes.

Always a bit worried that your smoked meats, prosciutto etc are going to fall under the ultra processed umbrella, in which case I'd rather not know.

Poll: Was it a punch?

Ultra Processed People on 18:13 - Aug 14 with 1423 viewsDJR

Ultra Processed People on 16:38 - Aug 14 by Strimmer

Sounds interesting, as mentioned by others I'm very intrigued by Tim Spectors stuff on gut-biomes.

Always a bit worried that your smoked meats, prosciutto etc are going to fall under the ultra processed umbrella, in which case I'd rather not know.

When it comes to gut biomes, I've taken to drinking every other day, St Feuillien Brune, a Belgian beer on offer at M&S. It undergoes a secondary fermentation in the bottle, and according to this is good for you.

https://www.news-medical.net/news/20191202/Strong-beers-that-contain-gut-friendl

I tell my wife that I drink it for my health (it's also great-tasting), but she is a bit sceptical.
[Post edited 14 Aug 2023 18:15]
Ultra Processed People on 16:09 - Mar 8 with 809 viewsJ2BLUE

Listened to this now. Decent listen. Really just confirmed what I already thought. I've said for a long time that the vegan vs low carb/paleo 'diet wars' are all nonsense and that most real natural foods are not going to do you any harm.

This did give me the final kick needed to really make an effort to eat real food at every meal and try to avoid anything with added rubbish. Only been doing it a few days but already feel good.

This stuff has been a gamechanger I don't know or care if the bible stuff is accurate, it's just really good quality filling bread.

I would recommend this book to anyone interested along with The End Of Overeating by David Kessler. Combined, they are a real eye opener.

Michael Pollan - "Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants"

Amazing how accurate those seven words are in an industry with so many different views.

Truly impaired.

Ultra Processed People on 16:29 - Mar 8 with 747 viewsitfcjoe

Ultra Processed People on 16:09 - Mar 8 by J2BLUE

Listened to this now. Decent listen. Really just confirmed what I already thought. I've said for a long time that the vegan vs low carb/paleo 'diet wars' are all nonsense and that most real natural foods are not going to do you any harm.

This did give me the final kick needed to really make an effort to eat real food at every meal and try to avoid anything with added rubbish. Only been doing it a few days but already feel good.

This stuff has been a gamechanger I don't know or care if the bible stuff is accurate, it's just really good quality filling bread.

I would recommend this book to anyone interested along with The End Of Overeating by David Kessler. Combined, they are a real eye opener.

Michael Pollan - "Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants"

Amazing how accurate those seven words are in an industry with so many different views.

I'm currently doing the Zoe plan at the moment and awaiting Gut Binome results....looking forward to what it says and hopefully some interesting ideas

Ultra Processed People on 16:30 - Mar 8 with 740 viewsJ2BLUE

Ultra Processed People on 16:29 - Mar 8 by itfcjoe

I'm currently doing the Zoe plan at the moment and awaiting Gut Binome results....looking forward to what it says and hopefully some interesting ideas

I would be interested to hear the results if you don't mind posting.

I had one of their M+S gut shots the other day. Quite nice.
[Post edited 8 Mar 16:31]

Truly impaired.

Login to get fewer ads

Ultra Processed People on 16:43 - Mar 8 with 693 viewsDJR

Ultra Processed People on 16:29 - Mar 8 by itfcjoe

Let us know how you get on, if you are happy to do so. I often follow the things that Zoe suggests you eat but am not sure if I would sign up to their plans/tests.

As it is, I have been trying to follow a relatively healthy diet since my mid-20s, and it is interesting how some of the advice has changed more recently. But perhaps I am just scared to do the various tests that are available just in case it hasn't benefited me. After all, some things are just genetic.
[Post edited 8 Mar 16:55]
Ultra Processed People on 16:53 - Mar 8 with 639 viewsDJR

Ultra Processed People on 16:30 - Mar 8 by J2BLUE

I would be interested to hear the results if you don't mind posting.

I had one of their M+S gut shots the other day. Quite nice.
[Post edited 8 Mar 16:31]

As an investor (only £50) in the Zoe public offering a year or so ago, I get a discount through my M&S card, taking the price of a shot down to £1.40, so I started buying it for a couple of weeks when it first became available.

But I am not really sure it is any better than kefir, which I have for breakfast, so I haven't carried on buying it. You also get much more kefir for your bucks.
Ultra Processed People on 17:02 - Mar 8 with 587 viewsJ2BLUE

Ultra Processed People on 16:53 - Mar 8 by DJR

As an investor (only £50) in the Zoe public offering a year or so ago, I get a discount through my M&S card, taking the price of a shot down to £1.40, so I started buying it for a couple of weeks when it first became available.

But I am not really sure it is any better than kefir, which I have for breakfast, so I haven't carried on buying it. You also get much more kefir for your bucks.

Yea I just bought it as a one off really as I have other fermented stuff and have started eating plenty of different plants so the microbes should be happy with the fibre.

Truly impaired.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024