Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
International Court of Justice delivers preliminary verdict on Gaza 13:35 - Jan 26 with 1311 viewsBlueBadger

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/liveblog/2024/1/26/live-icj-to-issue-preliminary-

Bit of a mixed bag, Israel ordered to 'take steps' to prevent acts of genocide but stops short of calling for a ceasefire.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Where would it be funniest to see NCFC fans crying on the telly?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

International Court of Justice delivers preliminary verdict on Gaza on 14:14 - Jan 26 with 1209 viewsPinewoodblue

That looks like a politically influenced decision. Had they called for a ceasefire the next time US vetoed a UN call for a ceasefire then someone would accuse them of being in contempt of the international court.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

International Court of Justice delivers preliminary verdict on Gaza on 14:25 - Jan 26 with 1162 viewsGlasgowBlue

Not had a change to read it but Iran aren't happy. So the judgement must be reasonably fair.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

International Court of Justice delivers preliminary verdict on Gaza on 14:30 - Jan 26 with 1148 viewsPinewoodblue

International Court of Justice delivers preliminary verdict on Gaza on 14:25 - Jan 26 by GlasgowBlue

Not had a change to read it but Iran aren't happy. So the judgement must be reasonably fair.

Judges split 16/2 & 17/1. One judge was missing from the line up and hadn’t given an explanation for their not being in attendance.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

International Court of Justice delivers preliminary verdict on Gaza on 17:11 - Jan 26 with 1068 viewsfactual_blue

Did they conclude his goal in Euro 96 against Scotland was a corker, but much of the rest of his career was a disappointment?

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

International Court of Justice delivers preliminary verdict on Gaza on 17:48 - Jan 26 with 1023 viewsBloomBlue

International Court of Justice delivers preliminary verdict on Gaza on 14:30 - Jan 26 by Pinewoodblue

Judges split 16/2 & 17/1. One judge was missing from the line up and hadn’t given an explanation for their not being in attendance.

'One judge was missing from the line up and hadn’t given an explanation for their not being in attendance'........

Well it is a Friday, so like a lot of judges on a Friday afternoon he'll be playing golf.
International Court of Justice delivers preliminary verdict on Gaza on 20:54 - Jan 26 with 939 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

International Court of Justice delivers preliminary verdict on Gaza on 14:25 - Jan 26 by GlasgowBlue

The ruling is antisemitic.

https://www.theguardian.com/law/2024/jan/26/icj-gaza-decision-shores-up-rules-ba

'The ruling is devastating for Israel and awkward for politicians such as the US secretary of state, Antony Blinken, who said the case was meritless, and the UK foreign secretary, David Cameron, who urged South Africa not to bandy around words such as genocide.

The highest court in the world, the apex of the United Nations, has found there is a plausible risk that Palestinians’ right to be protected from a genocide are under threat from Israel’s actions. The irony of this is self-evident. The concepts of “crimes against humanity” and “genocide” were created by a Jewish law professor, Raphael Lemkin.

For Israel, a nation in part born in 1948 from the horrors of the Holocaust and centuries of persecution, this could be a moment for reflection. Its whole national identity is intertwined with the Holocaust, just as South’s Africa’s is indivisible from apartheid.

There will be many in Israel who dismiss the ruling as another sign of the antisemitic nature of the UN, an organisation it has loathed for decades.'

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2024/jan/26/middle-east-crisis-live-updat

Yoav Gallant, Israel’s defence minister, who was cited by the court president for calling Palestinians “human animals” at the start of the Israeli offensive, said:

The international court of justice went above and beyond, when it granted South Africa’s antisemitic request to discuss the claim of genocide in Gaza, and now refuses to reject the petition outright.

Itamar Ben-Gvir, Israel’s far-right national security minister, tweeted:

This court does not seek justice, but rather the persecution of the Jewish people. Decisions that endanger the continued existence of the state of Israel must not be listened to. And we must continue defeating the enemy until complete victory.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If he goes will he still be Super?

International Court of Justice delivers preliminary verdict on Gaza on 08:55 - Jan 27 with 819 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2024/jan/26/israel-gaza-icj-genocide-r

'Especially compelling was the evidence of incitement to genocide, a core element of the 1948 convention. A former director general of the Israeli foreign ministry and others had talked, even before the South African submission, of “extensive and blatant incitement to genocide and expulsion and ethnic cleansing”. But it was notable how many governments were reluctant to confront that self-evident truth.'

'Most obviously, the world court ruling puts pressure on Israel. It rightly highlights the crimes committed by Hamas, which those who criticise Israel are sometimes too eager to put to one side. But it also serves as a reminder of the starting point for justice itself. Unequal justice is no justice at all. Nothing can be more destabilising than the lack of justice. That matters for Gaza, it matters for Ukraine, and it matters in conflict zones from Ethiopia to Myanmar. If The Hague court’s judgment helps kick western governments into an understanding of the need for a more balanced approach, that will be valuable. If they look the other way, not just the Palestinians but all of us will be the losers.'

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If he goes will he still be Super?

International Court of Justice delivers preliminary verdict on Gaza on 10:16 - Jan 27 with 753 viewsNthQldITFC

From that same Guardian article, let's have a good hard look at ourselves:

'In a remarkable lecture this week, the director of the Chatham House thinktank, Bronwen Maddox, urged the west to recognise how vulnerable it was to charge of hypocrisy, and how it mattered.

She said the argument about double standards “runs like this: the west cares about democracy, but not when it wants to install leaders it likes in other countries. It respects sovereignty except when it does not, as in Iraq. It argues for self-determination in Taiwan, not in Catalonia. It supports human rights, but not in countries from which it needs oil. It defends human rights except when it gets too difficult, as in Afghanistan.
'

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Login to get fewer ads

International Court of Justice delivers preliminary verdict on Gaza on 10:22 - Jan 27 with 736 viewsChorleyBoy

It's a pretty mealy-mouthed verdict to be honest. The Israeli government could in theory claim that they are taking steps to prevent acts of genocide by killing the Palestinians.
International Court of Justice delivers preliminary verdict on Gaza on 10:27 - Jan 27 with 724 viewsredrickstuhaart

International Court of Justice delivers preliminary verdict on Gaza on 10:16 - Jan 27 by NthQldITFC

From that same Guardian article, let's have a good hard look at ourselves:

'In a remarkable lecture this week, the director of the Chatham House thinktank, Bronwen Maddox, urged the west to recognise how vulnerable it was to charge of hypocrisy, and how it mattered.

She said the argument about double standards “runs like this: the west cares about democracy, but not when it wants to install leaders it likes in other countries. It respects sovereignty except when it does not, as in Iraq. It argues for self-determination in Taiwan, not in Catalonia. It supports human rights, but not in countries from which it needs oil. It defends human rights except when it gets too difficult, as in Afghanistan.
'

YES.......

This matters so much. The long term impacts, division and nurturing of hatred is a massive thing.
International Court of Justice delivers preliminary verdict on Gaza on 10:42 - Jan 27 with 680 viewsNthQldITFC

International Court of Justice delivers preliminary verdict on Gaza on 10:27 - Jan 27 by redrickstuhaart

YES.......

This matters so much. The long term impacts, division and nurturing of hatred is a massive thing.

The ability to say to oneself and out loud "I was wrong" or "I might have been wrong" or "I think this now, but I know that I might think this is wrong in the future" or "my friend is wrong" or "do you think I might be wrong?" is probably the most important ability which anyone in power can have.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

International Court of Justice delivers preliminary verdict on Gaza on 11:44 - Jan 27 with 629 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

International Court of Justice delivers preliminary verdict on Gaza on 10:42 - Jan 27 by NthQldITFC

The ability to say to oneself and out loud "I was wrong" or "I might have been wrong" or "I think this now, but I know that I might think this is wrong in the future" or "my friend is wrong" or "do you think I might be wrong?" is probably the most important ability which anyone in power can have.

This is very true, our previous interventions in the region have been disastrous and we need to learn from that. It’s important the West now do not get dragged into a wider regional war which is obviously the aim of Iran.

Whilst their attacks on shipping shouldn’t happen with impunity, the West needs to act with restraint here. If civilians end up being killed in Yemen it could be the spark for further escalation.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024