Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Match reflections - Ipswich 2 Sunderland 1 - significant win 11:16 - Jan 14 with 1760 viewsunstableblue

The scale of that win and performance can’t be understated, seasons turn on nights like that and I’m incredibly proud of the players. Who really stepped up in a very difficult game against very strong opposition. Sunderland will make the play-offs, if they keep their star winger. To get six points off them is a real achievement.

Lady Luck was on our side with the legs of Hladky and a missed sitter being key moments. But you make your own luck and the second half performance was great - yes for the first half I agree with McKenna we were well off our fluid best - but we pinned the Black Cats back most of the second half and saw the game out superbly after Chaplin’s bullet header.

But a key takeaway for me was that we won despite having Morsy, Lunongo, Burgess and Hirst missing and with Broadhead still out of form. Please understand that I think Broadhead is brilliant perhaps our best player, and I support McKenna in continuing to start him. But he’s just not quite there. It will come I’m sure. But we now have serious competition for him in our South American/London wunderkid - showed glimpses of what he can do when coming off the bench.

But when you’re depleted you need people to step in and step up. And to have 4 players vying for MOTM says it all - The Fridge, Clarke, Travis and Chaplin. Edmundson was imperious. Clarke did lose Clark a couple of times, but only a couple and one of our own was also cutting across the pitch in attack really well.

Captain and Mr Ipswich Chaplin is a joy. He loves this club and us the fans. And he epitomises the Ipswich Project under McKenna - the good times are back.

Travis wasn’t meant to start, the late Luongo injury, meant he had to. And boy that was a defensive midfield masterclass - being everywhere, being aggressive, breaking things up. And you neeed that against such a a good Sunderland midfield. I am much more confident of the season prospects with him in the squad.

Special mention to Taylor, few weak moments in the first half. But he really grew into the game, and a few ball carries driving through the lines showed what he can offer over Morsy and Luongo’s forward play.

Yes another special mention to Jackson, there were individuals on the board criticising him this week (along with Freddie). Kayden worked his absolute socks off last night, excellent pressing and his ability to get behind was shown with a goal - which he took superbly under that weight of expectation. Good on him. And huge for his confidence.

Having said that we were effectively missing 5 first teamers, perhaps the backbone, one key individual was back with a vengeance. Davis was superb, perhaps yet another MOTM contender. How we miss him. His off day against Leeds a distant memory. He has this ability to ghost past players, which makes him look Premier ready.

One thing I really liked about the second half and the win was how well we saw the game game out. We put on two attacking wingers in Hutchison and Sarmiento and we just stretched the game wide, and rather than sitting on the win, and the 2-1, we pinned them back.

Two more things - the ref was poor, he was refereeing on emotion not the play. It’s the worst kind of officiating. Secondly the atmosphere, I posted a strong statement at half time, because the Lower North especially was very quiet and nervy. It’s great to say that in the second half the crowd really switched on. And the scenes at the end were great - also positive that no music was played until the team had left celebrating with the North Stand, well done the club. In the Pioneer middle tier I can hear the away, A block and lower North. So its not all about acoustics. But I do know that the away can’t hear the North unless all are singing, hence the often used football in a library. And of course it’s obvious the problem is the lower North, are the right kind of supporters in there now?
But to repeat the majority of fans did step up in the second half - which shows we can do it if inclined.

So overall an absolute night to remember under the lights, a strong team beaten, with a weakened Town. Some bright performances from individuals and I’m excited to see what Travis and Sarmiento can bring to the team. What a season, what a manager, what a time to be a Town fan. Celebrate it my blue brothers and sisters, revel in it.
[Post edited 14 Jan 11:23]

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Match reflections - Ipswich 2 Sunderland 1 - significant win on 13:56 - Jan 14 with 1541 viewsorfordbuoy

Great thoughts, great match.

Buzzing.
I like Jackson, Saturday 5.30 kickoffs and flamethrowers! on 14:19 - Jan 14 with 1473 viewsunstableblue

Watching the extended highlights there are some great moments from Town both defensive and attacking - Jackson was very unlucky with the Burns cross his movement away from the defender was great. His tackle to win back possession also good. Taylor some lovely passing. Edmundson dominant. And Clark being excellent after an initial howler.

I did like the 5.30 Saturday kick off.., good beers beforehand and meal in Town afters. And you’ve got to love those pyro flamethrowers under the floodlights with some techno blasting out.

I like Jackson, Saturday 5.30 kickoffs and flamethrowers! on 14:31 - Jan 14 with 1447 viewsorfordbuoy

I like Jackson, Saturday 5.30 kickoffs and flamethrowers! on 14:19 - Jan 14 by unstableblue

Watching the extended highlights there are some great moments from Town both defensive and attacking - Jackson was very unlucky with the Burns cross his movement away from the defender was great. His tackle to win back possession also good. Taylor some lovely passing. Edmundson dominant. And Clark being excellent after an initial howler.

I did like the 5.30 Saturday kick off.., good beers beforehand and meal in Town afters. And you’ve got to love those pyro flamethrowers under the floodlights with some techno blasting out.

Glad you enjoyed the day. Still on a high.

Remember Scuse bemoaning the (ab)use of techno in football.
I like Jackson, Saturday 5.30 kickoffs and flamethrowers! on 14:47 - Jan 14 with 1402 viewsunstableblue

I like Jackson, Saturday 5.30 kickoffs and flamethrowers! on 14:31 - Jan 14 by orfordbuoy

Glad you enjoyed the day. Still on a high.

Remember Scuse bemoaning the (ab)use of techno in football.

I’d make all the music at Portman Road techno, deep house.

Anthemic.

Dry ice and strobes. Pyramid dance floors for the subs.

60k rig.

Labyrinth, Castlemorton, Goan beach vibes.

Bit of Neil Young if we lose.

It was indeed a great day OB… a little too excited on the beverages… so feeling it a little today. But as a group (5 of us) we were all absolutely buzzing after that glorious display and performance.

Oh and I found this drone footage of shingle street… enjoy:

I like Jackson, Saturday 5.30 kickoffs and flamethrowers! on 15:03 - Jan 14 with 1348 viewsorfordbuoy

I like Jackson, Saturday 5.30 kickoffs and flamethrowers! on 14:47 - Jan 14 by unstableblue

Anthemic.

60k rig.

It was indeed a great day OB… a little too excited on the beverages… so feeling it a little today. But as a group (5 of us) we were all absolutely buzzing after that glorious display and performance.

you got the full experience yesterday - nothing else comes close eh?

It's so striking that that stark, barren, otherwordly landscape is just 100 miles from the world's most cosmopolitan city.

Plugs you into our Celtic/Anglo ancestry.
Great VIDEO of fans reaction to Chaplin goal on 21:44 - Jan 14 with 1102 viewsunstableblue

Captures that euphoric moment when Town went ahead

Match reflections - Ipswich 2 Sunderland 1 - significant win on 09:26 - Jan 15 with 862 viewsDinDjarin

When Fridge won that immense header in last few seconds I jumped up and screamed as if we had scored a goal.

He was absolute mustard Saturday.
Match reflections - Ipswich 2 Sunderland 1 - significant win on 09:51 - Jan 15 with 812 views_clive_baker_

Agree with most of your thoughts Unstabley.

Think the praise for Travis is a little OTT in terms of it being a masterclass, but I agree he did well. He's more similar to Morsy than anyone else in the squad now and provided that combative element, he's very busy and broke up play well. Brave on the ball I thought too, especially given the circumstances and him being so new into the side. I love his mentality, you can see why we wanted him, he looks a very natural leader. He also showed a turn of pace and ability to step forward with the ball well once or twice, not least for the equaliser. It was a good hour from him, and I'm sure there's more to come.

A very good win against a good side though. I think they might've caught us at a good time in terms of players being out, but arguably we did of them too. Patrick Roberts is an excellent player and a big miss for them, and off the back of the Newcastle defeat they looked a side bereft of confidence, especially when they went behind. They offered nothing in that final 20 minutes. They might even have a forward before too long, they looked like they need one.
Login to get fewer ads

Match reflections - Ipswich 2 Sunderland 1 - significant win on 09:59 - Jan 15 with 783 viewstractorboy1978

Match reflections - Ipswich 2 Sunderland 1 - significant win on 09:51 - Jan 15 by _clive_baker_

Agree with most of your thoughts Unstabley.

Think the praise for Travis is a little OTT in terms of it being a masterclass, but I agree he did well. He's more similar to Morsy than anyone else in the squad now and provided that combative element, he's very busy and broke up play well. Brave on the ball I thought too, especially given the circumstances and him being so new into the side. I love his mentality, you can see why we wanted him, he looks a very natural leader. He also showed a turn of pace and ability to step forward with the ball well once or twice, not least for the equaliser. It was a good hour from him, and I'm sure there's more to come.

A very good win against a good side though. I think they might've caught us at a good time in terms of players being out, but arguably we did of them too. Patrick Roberts is an excellent player and a big miss for them, and off the back of the Newcastle defeat they looked a side bereft of confidence, especially when they went behind. They offered nothing in that final 20 minutes. They might even have a forward before too long, they looked like they need one.

I ended up being in the ground unusually early on Saturday and was watching Travis quite closely in the warm up. I commented to my mate, he was constantly talking and joking around with the players. He looked like someone that had been in the squad for ages. Seems a big personality. Morsy is Morsy and will be the first name on the teamsheet but Travis really closed the usual gap we've seen when he doesn't play.
Match reflections - Ipswich 2 Sunderland 1 - significant win on 10:19 - Jan 15 with 721 viewsBluesky

Excellent summary.
I like Jackson, Saturday 5.30 kickoffs and flamethrowers! on 10:23 - Jan 15 with 706 viewsBluesky

I like Jackson, Saturday 5.30 kickoffs and flamethrowers! on 14:47 - Jan 14 by unstableblue

Anthemic.

60k rig.

I find Shingle Street quite a sinister place. Too much shifting of sand, shingle and currents makes me shudder.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024