Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
100 days since 7/10 09:51 - Jan 14 with 3484 viewsGlasgowBlue

Release the hostages.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

100 days since 7/10 on 10:12 - Jan 14 with 2576 viewsDJR

Absolutely. But I do think a ceasefire or pause would improve the chances of their release. Indeed, this is the view of the families of some of the hostages.. This from the CNN.

“The first wave of hostages were released between days 49 and 54. It’s been nearly 100 days now - almost twice as long as they were in there for,” Naama Weinberg, whose cousin Itai Svirsky was kidnapped while visiting his family on Kibbutz Be’eri on October 7, told CNN last week.

She said the captives’ families are “frustrated and suffocating,” adding: “There’s been no progress for weeks. Nothing is moving - except for finding out more hostages have died.”

Weinberg, 27, who spoke to CNN in Tel Aviv’s so-called Hostage Square, where the families have gathered for weeks to protest, was angered by the killing of a top Hamas commander in Lebanon earlier this month - widely attributed to Israel. She said some of Israel’s “military action” is “directly endangering the hostages.”

The country’s leadership “must put the release of the hostages at the top of its priority list,” Weinberg said.

Weinberg, campaigning alongside her sister Dror Weinberg Almog, 35, said part of the problem was that the Israeli government has two aims: the destruction of Hamas and the return of the hostages.

“But there can’t be two aims because sometimes these aims clash - like the elimination of al-Arouri,” said Weinberg, referring to the drone strike that killed Hamas number two Saleh al-Arouri on January 2.

“The moment after they pressed the button and eliminated Saleh al-Arouri, Hamas said there’s nothing to talk about it - that the channel for negotiations had closed and that the discussion is over,” said Weinberg.

EDIT: Of course Israel doesn't appear to want a ceasefire, but what's to stop a pause which might increase the chances of hostage release, and why aren't the West even calling for a pause given the humanitarian crisis? As it is, I do sense Netanyahu is putting his own political survival ahead of the interests of the hostages.
[Post edited 14 Jan 16:17]
100 days since 7/10 on 14:27 - Jan 14 with 2463 viewsDJR

100 days since 7/10 on 10:12 - Jan 14 by DJR

Absolutely. But I do think a ceasefire or pause would improve the chances of their release. Indeed, this is the view of the families of some of the hostages.. This from the CNN.

“The first wave of hostages were released between days 49 and 54. It’s been nearly 100 days now - almost twice as long as they were in there for,” Naama Weinberg, whose cousin Itai Svirsky was kidnapped while visiting his family on Kibbutz Be’eri on October 7, told CNN last week.

She said the captives’ families are “frustrated and suffocating,” adding: “There’s been no progress for weeks. Nothing is moving - except for finding out more hostages have died.”

Weinberg, 27, who spoke to CNN in Tel Aviv’s so-called Hostage Square, where the families have gathered for weeks to protest, was angered by the killing of a top Hamas commander in Lebanon earlier this month - widely attributed to Israel. She said some of Israel’s “military action” is “directly endangering the hostages.”

The country’s leadership “must put the release of the hostages at the top of its priority list,” Weinberg said.

Weinberg, campaigning alongside her sister Dror Weinberg Almog, 35, said part of the problem was that the Israeli government has two aims: the destruction of Hamas and the return of the hostages.

“But there can’t be two aims because sometimes these aims clash - like the elimination of al-Arouri,” said Weinberg, referring to the drone strike that killed Hamas number two Saleh al-Arouri on January 2.

“The moment after they pressed the button and eliminated Saleh al-Arouri, Hamas said there’s nothing to talk about it - that the channel for negotiations had closed and that the discussion is over,” said Weinberg.

EDIT: Of course Israel doesn't appear to want a ceasefire, but what's to stop a pause which might increase the chances of hostage release, and why aren't the West even calling for a pause given the humanitarian crisis? As it is, I do sense Netanyahu is putting his own political survival ahead of the interests of the hostages.

Here are some quotes from Haaretz at the protest in Hostages Square to mark 100 days.

Itai Regev, who was kidnapped from the music festival in Re'im and was released from captivity in the hostage deal at the end of November, was among the speakers at the rally. "I stood here in front of you about a month ago, and I hoped that things would change and look different," said Regev. "Unfortunately, I stand before you here a month later and there are still 136 abductees who are being held in horrific conditions in the captivity of Hamas without food, air, and sunlight." He mentioned that he was held captive together with his friend, Omer Shem Tov, and called for the release of all the hostages. "We must wake up! Every minute and second is critical and requires a deal now!", added Regev.

Rotem Kalderon, whose father Ofer was kidnapped from Kibbutz Nir Oz on October 7, said that the return of the hostages is the only way to restore trust in the state. "I call upon and ask of you, the war cabinet, to do whatever is needed in order to reach a negotiation deal. Without saying that this is not the time or place," Kalderon added. "I demand that the primary and highest goal in this war be the return of my father, Ofer Kalderon, and of all the hostages. I am neither a politician nor a man of war, I am simply a son who wants his father home."

Yaela David, whose brother Evyatar was kidnapped from the Nova party, said that she watches the videos of his abduction, "just to see him alive." David added that her brother "went to celebrate life with friends, and found himself in hell." She also said, "I'm trying to understand why after 100 days, we still need to convince people that there is nothing more critical than freeing the hostages, first and foremost."
100 days since 7/10 on 14:39 - Jan 14 with 2434 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

100 days since 7/10 on 10:12 - Jan 14 by DJR

It is as clear as day that the only person not suited by a ceasefire is Nethanyahoo.
Ceasefire now. Hostage releases from the first day after.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

100 days since 7/10 on 14:43 - Jan 14 with 2420 viewsLeoMuff

100 days since 7/10 on 14:39 - Jan 14 by BanksterDebtSlave

It is as clear as day that the only person not suited by a ceasefire is Nethanyahoo.
Ceasefire now. Hostage releases from the first day after.

Sadly you have to wonder how many can have survived 100 days of heavy indiscriminate bombing.

I agree ceasefire has to happen, they won’t be freed by levelling Gaza, and Hamas will still exist even if they bomb for 10 years, as every one of those orphaned children is a new recruit without significant changes from both sides, and a real concerted effort at a 2 state solution.

The only Muff in Town.
Poll: Lamberts rotational policy has left us....

100 days since 7/10 on 18:06 - Jan 14 with 2299 viewsBloomBlue

The hostages need to be released now and then immediate ceasefire.
100 days since 7/10 on 18:30 - Jan 14 with 2265 viewsLeoMuff

100 days since 7/10 on 18:06 - Jan 14 by BloomBlue

They would have to be insane to trust the Israelis on that.

The only Muff in Town.
Poll: Lamberts rotational policy has left us....

100 days since 7/10 on 18:38 - Jan 14 with 2245 viewsSwansea_Blue

I very much doubt it would work like that, but there does need to be a negotiated diplomatic solution, probably involving a ceasefire. Unfortunately it seems there’s too much bloodlust to get that far, although the previous mini-ceasefire does give some hope I suppose. If they carry on fighting fire with fire, I’d be surprised if there’ll be a good outcome for the hostages or anyone else. But we know all this from other conflicts.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

100 days since 7/10 on 19:20 - Jan 14 with 2198 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

As Israel's stated aim is to destroy Hamas then I'm not sure that's likely. I realise that Hamas have some similar claims regarding Israel but I think we all know deep down that they face a relatively uphill struggle on that front from within their cage!

Login to get fewer ads

100 days since 7/10 on 21:53 - Jan 14 with 2122 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

100 days since 7/10 on 19:20 - Jan 14 by BanksterDebtSlave

As Israel's stated aim is to destroy Hamas then I'm not sure that's likely. I realise that Hamas have some similar claims regarding Israel but I think we all know deep down that they face a relatively uphill struggle on that front from within their cage!

And here you have it...

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2024/jan/14/netanyahu-insists-on-fight-until-t

“We are continuing the war … until we achieve all of our goals: eliminating Hamas, returning all of our hostages and ensuring that Gaza will never again constitute a threat to Israel,” he said.

The hostages, like Palestinians, will be regarded as collateral damage. He didn’t say whether the hostages return dead or alive. His own political life span is all that matters.

100 days since 7/10 on 22:11 - Jan 14 with 2087 viewsNthQldITFC

100 days since 7/10 on 21:53 - Jan 14 by BanksterDebtSlave

And here you have it...

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2024/jan/14/netanyahu-insists-on-fight-until-t

“We are continuing the war … until we achieve all of our goals: eliminating Hamas, returning all of our hostages and ensuring that Gaza will never again constitute a threat to Israel,” he said.

The hostages, like Palestinians, will be regarded as collateral damage. He didn’t say whether the hostages return dead or alive. His own political life span is all that matters.

The phrasing there: "...ensuring that Gaza will never again constitute a threat to Israel"

Ensuring that Hamas will never again constitute a threat to Israel might be realisable - if you believe that it's somehow possible or meaningful to eliminate the leadership, fighters and communication network of a movement without considering where the ideas and survivors and desire for freedom and justice will go...

...but ensuring that Gaza will never again constitute a threat to Israel seems to me only achievable by 100% ethnic cleansing. Is this now the stated aim of the Israeli government as a whole?

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

100 days since 7/10 on 07:38 - Jan 15 with 1974 viewsDJR

100 days since 7/10 on 21:53 - Jan 14 by BanksterDebtSlave

And here you have it...

Sadly, more likely dead given the conflict has spread to the whole of Gaza.

This from Al Jazeera yesterday.

A spokesman for Hamas’s Qassam Brigades says the fate of many of the Israeli captives has become “unknown in recent weeks”.

“A lot of them have most likely been killed because of the Israeli bombardment,” Abu Obeida said.
[Post edited 15 Jan 7:43]
100 days since 7/10 on 08:00 - Jan 15 with 1944 viewsGlasgowBlue

Well that’s a shame. Istarted a thread where people could leave their sympathy for the men, women, children and babies who were abducted from their homes on 7/10. Many of whom had witnessed members of their families murdered, raped and mutilated in front of their eyes.

What a shame that the majority of people contributing to this thread were unable to do so.

For those who aren’t aware, there is a thread entitled “How many Palestinian lives are sufficient…” and another dozen or so threads started by banksy where the majority of these replies would have found a perfect home.

Like the thread on antisemitism that Instarted, some people just can’t help themselves.

Iron Lion Zion

100 days since 7/10 on 08:09 - Jan 15 with 1913 viewsNthQldITFC

100 days since 7/10 on 08:00 - Jan 15 by GlasgowBlue

Well that’s a shame. Istarted a thread where people could leave their sympathy for the men, women, children and babies who were abducted from their homes on 7/10. Many of whom had witnessed members of their families murdered, raped and mutilated in front of their eyes.

What a shame that the majority of people contributing to this thread were unable to do so.

For those who aren’t aware, there is a thread entitled “How many Palestinian lives are sufficient…” and another dozen or so threads started by banksy where the majority of these replies would have found a perfect home.

Like the thread on antisemitism that Instarted, some people just can’t help themselves.

Fair point. Massive sympathy for all of those you mention. I hope the remaining hostages are released very soon as part of a meaningful peace process.

100 days since 7/10 on 08:11 - Jan 15 with 1902 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

What has happened in those 100 days and how has it helped the hostages? Well done on finding an excuse for another little dig though.

Edit....I mean, what a stupid place to discuss the best way of ensuring that the hostages get to live and then hopefully get to be released.
[Post edited 15 Jan 8:16]

100 days since 7/10 on 08:19 - Jan 15 with 1875 viewsDJR

I apologise if that's how you saw my response, but you did say "Release the hostages", and whilst agreeing with your sentiment and upvoting your post, I pointed out that the families of some of the hostages were not convinced that Netanyahu's approach was the best way to achieve this.
[Post edited 15 Jan 8:27]
100 days since 7/10 on 08:24 - Jan 15 with 1853 viewsNeedhamChris

Indeed, 100 days too late but better late than never. Every minute that goes by is an even greater tragedy.

Poll: Was that the worst result in the clubs history?

100 days since 7/10 on 08:50 - Jan 15 with 1785 viewsArnoldMoorhen

I don't think that's fair. Most comments in the thread have been respectfully worded.

TWTD has never been run on a "comments must be strictly within the remit of the original post or will be removed" basis. I have seen Forums and Messageboards which are.

There are two possible routes to a release: one is a negotiated, and probably gradual, phased release in response to reciprocal action from the Israeli Government. The other is a series of Special Forces raids in response to intelligence.

Every day of continued military action by the IDF makes the first of those less likely.

In so far as it is reasonable for distant observers to comment on the life and death struggle of everybody left alive in Gaza (and I have grave reservations about what such "video clip consuming" and emotional detachment does to anyone's mental health) it is surely reasonable for the views of former hostages, and family members of some of those still held, to be quoted. They don't think it is distasteful or disrespectful to pose a negotiated solution.

I am personally uneasy about your insistence that Jewish victims of the disgusting, depraved, Hamas massacre, and, of course, subsequent IDF indiscriminate killings of civilians which have included some of the hostages (whether that be bombing, shelling, or shooting of three unarmed, bare chested, white flag waving hostages) be separated from Palestinian deaths. Any Palestinian child killed today in Gaza is no less a stain on humanity's soul than if it is an Israeli hostage child, or one of the many brutally murdered by Hamas on 7th October, or one of many Palestinian children killed by being crushed and dismembered inside their homes by Israeli armoured bulldozers in Jenin in April 2002.

Wider context is always important, and there has been a lack of true Shalom across Israel and Palestine for decades, There are hundreds of thousands of bereaved people, many of whom have witnessed their loved ones being murdered. There are millions thirsting for revenge. Neither side has absolute moral high ground, and neither side can use the depths of depravity of the other as carte blanche to justify any form of retaliatory action.
100 days since 7/10 on 09:09 - Jan 15 with 1737 viewsStokieBlue

I think that's pretty unfair, most have been respectful and called for the release of the hostages and then they have added context which is also important.

The recent attempts to stifle debates on various threads is a bit concerning. TWTD has never been an echo chamber and adding context or even pushing back is something that historically has always happened. I don't think you would have historically supported the stance you are putting forward now.

I also think the context being added by various posters in this thread is very important to the reasons why the hostages haven't been released.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

100 days since 7/10 on 09:49 - Jan 15 with 1640 viewsGlasgowBlue

100 days since 7/10 on 08:50 - Jan 15 by ArnoldMoorhen

I don't think that's fair. Most comments in the thread have been respectfully worded.

TWTD has never been run on a "comments must be strictly within the remit of the original post or will be removed" basis. I have seen Forums and Messageboards which are.

There are two possible routes to a release: one is a negotiated, and probably gradual, phased release in response to reciprocal action from the Israeli Government. The other is a series of Special Forces raids in response to intelligence.

Every day of continued military action by the IDF makes the first of those less likely.

In so far as it is reasonable for distant observers to comment on the life and death struggle of everybody left alive in Gaza (and I have grave reservations about what such "video clip consuming" and emotional detachment does to anyone's mental health) it is surely reasonable for the views of former hostages, and family members of some of those still held, to be quoted. They don't think it is distasteful or disrespectful to pose a negotiated solution.

I am personally uneasy about your insistence that Jewish victims of the disgusting, depraved, Hamas massacre, and, of course, subsequent IDF indiscriminate killings of civilians which have included some of the hostages (whether that be bombing, shelling, or shooting of three unarmed, bare chested, white flag waving hostages) be separated from Palestinian deaths. Any Palestinian child killed today in Gaza is no less a stain on humanity's soul than if it is an Israeli hostage child, or one of the many brutally murdered by Hamas on 7th October, or one of many Palestinian children killed by being crushed and dismembered inside their homes by Israeli armoured bulldozers in Jenin in April 2002.

Wider context is always important, and there has been a lack of true Shalom across Israel and Palestine for decades, There are hundreds of thousands of bereaved people, many of whom have witnessed their loved ones being murdered. There are millions thirsting for revenge. Neither side has absolute moral high ground, and neither side can use the depths of depravity of the other as carte blanche to justify any form of retaliatory action.

Respectful? The first reply was. The majority of comments are much the same stuff that has been posted ad infinitum on the scores of other threads of the subject of the Israel/Gaza conflict. With lip service to the plight of the hostages.

It was a thread to mark 100 days since the hostages were taken. I’m pretty sure that a thread marking 100 days since Israel launched its disproportionate and indiscriminate bombing campaign in Gaza will not be dominated by posts condemning the hostage taking whilst paying lip service to those innocent Palestinian civilians killed by the IDF.

My final comment in this as I can see the way it’s going, so better to let the thread be forgotten like the hostages,

There was a ceasefire on the evening of October 6th, when these poor souls said goodnight to their loved ones, many for the last time. The release of the hostages should be unconditional.

edit. You realise that not all the victims of the Hamas atrocities of October 7TH and not all of the hostages taken by Hamas are Jewish. Perhaps you should be taking issue with people staring and contributing to threads entitled "How many Palestinian lives are sufficient?"

Surely they are separating Palestinian deaths from "Jewish deaths". A bit of a nasty undercurrent to that accusation AM and one I would be grateful that you address.
[Post edited 15 Jan 15:25]

Iron Lion Zion

100 days since 7/10 on 09:52 - Jan 15 with 1615 viewsDJR

This (also involving commemoration of 100 days) doesn't seem right to me.

An Israeli footballer who displayed a message referring to the Israel-Gaza war during a match in Turkey has been arrested, according to reports in Turkish media.

After scoring a goal for his team against Trabsonspor, Sagiv Jehezkel revealed a message that read “100 days. 07/10” on a bandage on his left wrist.

Earlier on Sunday, the country’s justice minister announced an investigation into Jehezkel over the incident for suspected “incitement to hate”, after his club, Antalyaspor, sacked him over the matter.
100 days since 7/10 on 10:53 - Jan 15 with 1524 viewspositivity

genuine question. what is the background of the group bring them home now?

just wondering what #WeWillNotStopUntilTheyAreAllBack means. is it we will not stop attacking gaza, or we will not stop pressurising the israeli governement to prioritise this over any other objectives they may have?

hoping the latter!

Poll: do you do judo and/or do you do voodoo?

100 days since 7/10 on 10:59 - Jan 15 with 1508 viewsblueasfook

Release the hostage and surrender. Give yourselves up to Israeli forces. Job done.

Why is this so difficult? Even the Hamas apologists shouldn't have a problem with that.

Elite Poster. TWTD Hottest Poster (1999, 2000, 2001).
Poll: How do you think season will end for us?

100 days since 7/10 on 11:14 - Jan 15 with 1436 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

Israel have claimed to have eliminated 8,000 Hamas fighters since the outset of the war. I found that quite staggering, and must admit I didn’t realise quite how many militants they had. Whether or not that claim is accurate I don’t know, it’s quite difficult to find any estimates of combatants killed, or whether they are included in the civilian deaths (which would constitute a third of the 24k people estimated to have been killed in Gaza).
100 days since 7/10 (n/t) on 11:35 - Jan 15 with 1376 viewsDJR

100 days since 7/10 on 11:14 - Jan 15 by SuperKieranMcKenna

Israel have claimed to have eliminated 8,000 Hamas fighters since the outset of the war. I found that quite staggering, and must admit I didn’t realise quite how many militants they had. Whether or not that claim is accurate I don’t know, it’s quite difficult to find any estimates of combatants killed, or whether they are included in the civilian deaths (which would constitute a third of the 24k people estimated to have been killed in Gaza).

[Posted on this thread in error.]
[Post edited 15 Jan 12:03]
100 days since 7/10 on 11:59 - Jan 15 with 1318 viewsNthQldITFC

100 days since 7/10 on 10:59 - Jan 15 by blueasfook

Release the hostage and surrender. Give yourselves up to Israeli forces. Job done.

Why is this so difficult? Even the Hamas apologists shouldn't have a problem with that.

One could write a similarly one-sided, non-difficult solution from a Palestinian perspective, which would be equally ridiculous and offensive.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024