Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Winter King 19:05 - Jan 8 with 897 viewsNthQldITFC

I've just seen that Bernard Cornwell's Warlord trilogy is on itvx. This is just about my favourite ever trilogy to read in book form, and I'd actually just started re-reading it for about the tenth time (first time in the 90s). I'm a little nervous about watching the TV adaptation - is it any good?

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

The Winter King on 19:09 - Jan 8 with 871 viewsKeno

Like you I loved the books

I got about 15 mins to the 1st episode and turned it off. I will give it another go one but its not high on my list of things to watch atm
[Post edited 8 Jan 19:16]

Poll: Where will be finish next season
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

The Winter King on 19:11 - Jan 8 with 855 viewsNthQldITFC

The Winter King on 19:09 - Jan 8 by Keno

I got about 15 mins to the 1st episode and turned it off. I will give it another go one but its not high on my list of things to watch atm

Ooh. What channel are the thongs on?

The Winter King on 19:14 - Jan 8 with 850 viewsMattinLondon

Haven’t read the books but have seen the trailers for the show. According to IMDB, it has an average rating of 6/10, so based on that it’s probably hit-and-miss. The most scathing reviews have been left by people who mentioned that they’ve read the books - and they are very scathing.

One comment that made me laugh was that there were too many mullets on show which made the male cast look like Saxon Trailer trash who have time traveled to modern day Alabama.
The Winter King on 19:16 - Jan 8 with 848 viewsNthQldITFC

The Winter King on 19:09 - Jan 8 by Keno

Well, I've just started watching the first episode, and my immediate take is "Caer Cadarn looks a bit too blousy!".

I shall persevere.

The Winter King on 20:45 - Jan 8 with 707 viewsnodge_blue

How can you reread something so many times when you know everything thats going to happen? I struggle to ever read a book more than once.

Poll: best attacking central midfielder?

The Winter King on 21:00 - Jan 8 with 679 viewsMullet

It's watchable but not amazing. I binged it and I dunno why really.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

The Winter King on 21:09 - Jan 8 with 652 viewsKeno

The Winter King on 21:00 - Jan 8 by Mullet

It's watchable but not amazing. I binged it and I dunno why really.

I guess something set in dark ages would be a bit like watching Corrie, but with less violence

Poll: Where will be finish next season
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

The Winter King on 21:30 - Jan 8 with 610 viewsNthQldITFC

The Winter King on 20:45 - Jan 8 by nodge_blue

How can you reread something so many times when you know everything thats going to happen? I struggle to ever read a book more than once.

I know. I just love the imagery my mind conjures up from it every time, and the overall feeling of a land before ruin.

I've watched the first two episodes of the TV version now, and while it's a let down in many ways (too 'stony', too TV drama-y, no Tanaburs, not great acting, no Hywelbane) I'm still kind of enjoying it.

But it could have been done in a way truer to the books I reckon. I know Cornwell says its the best thing he's ever written, I'm a bit surprised he didn't insist on a bit more timber and wattle and daub and a closer match to the storyline.

Login to get fewer ads

The Winter King on 22:17 - Jan 8 with 547 viewsBLUEBEAT

I thought it was OK.

As an Anglo Saxon, I obviously want all those Britons to die.

Poll: W or W

The Winter King on 22:29 - Jan 8 with 532 viewsNthQldITFC

Actually, one of my biggest problems so far is that the actor playing Gundleus looks like a young Neil 'Colin' Warnock (and he is a bit of an anagram). I find it quite off-putting thinking he's going to come up and look down the camera.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024