Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Today's game 11:17 - Dec 23 with 1481 viewsHerbivore

It's a weird one. I feel massively nervous for it and it feels like a massive game but when I let my rational brain kick in, it's only really massive for us if we win or draw whereas for Leeds this is approaching must win territory. If we lose we still have a 7 point gap to them, which is exactly what we had before the Middleborough game and coming out of playing Boro, Watford, Norwich, and Leeds - three of them away from home - having maintained a 7 point gap would be an impressive feat. We're also four games closer to the end of the season with three of our tougher fixtures out of the way. On the other hand, draw and we've opened up a 10 point gap over that tough run and Leeds have no further chance to directly take points off us. Win and we're in dream land. Definitely feels like, despite my prematch nerves, there's WAY more pressure on them to win this match than there is on us.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Today's game on 11:20 - Dec 23 with 1444 viewsSuperblue95

Pressure is definitely on them to win.

I’d be delighted with a draw as it stops them closing the gap, but I suspect we’ll go out with no fear to try and win as we always do.

Hopefully their front 4 aren’t on it like they were in the home game.

My hobbies include being quiet during trips, clapping with songs, and diabetes.
Poll: Englands player of the tournament

Today's game on 11:20 - Dec 23 with 1443 viewsgainsboroughblue

I feel that Leeds fans will be insufferable if they do the double over us.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

Today's game on 11:28 - Dec 23 with 1356 viewsKeno

Today's game on 11:20 - Dec 23 by gainsboroughblue

I feel that Leeds fans will be insufferable if they do the double over us.

Let me correct that for you “ I feel that Leeds fans are insufferable”

Poll: Where will be finish next season
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Today's game on 11:31 - Dec 23 with 1322 viewsnodge_blue

Imagine we are only 4 points clear going into this game. Then everything wins :-)

Poll: best attacking central midfielder?

Today's game on 11:48 - Dec 23 with 1236 viewsfranz_tyson

The point gap at this stage - the half-way stage - doesn't mean that much to me at the moment. If we lose - and lose too easily - we'd still have a point advantage.... but I do think we'd lose belief in ourselves and it would give Leeds extra belief that they could chase us down easily. If we go toe-to-toe with them and get a draw, I do feel it would just give ourselves that extra bit of confidence that we're really the real deal.
I've been persuaded that we're a genuine top six team.... but need a bit more convincing we can hang on to top two. Hence , next two games are massive.
Today's game on 11:55 - Dec 23 with 1195 viewsHerbivore

Today's game on 11:48 - Dec 23 by franz_tyson

The point gap at this stage - the half-way stage - doesn't mean that much to me at the moment. If we lose - and lose too easily - we'd still have a point advantage.... but I do think we'd lose belief in ourselves and it would give Leeds extra belief that they could chase us down easily. If we go toe-to-toe with them and get a draw, I do feel it would just give ourselves that extra bit of confidence that we're really the real deal.
I've been persuaded that we're a genuine top six team.... but need a bit more convincing we can hang on to top two. Hence , next two games are massive.

What would convince you? We're halfway through the season, tracking for over 100 points, with a 10 point gap to third. If we lose today it's the sort of game a top 2 team always has a chance of losing, they're a very good side, especially at home. I doubt the players' confidence is fragile enough that if we lose today they will lose all belief, they didn't when Leeds beat us at PR.

Today's game on 11:57 - Dec 23 with 1181 views_clive_baker_

I actually don’t feel nervous. Did last week, normally do when we’re expected to win, but today feels like a bit less pressure as it’s all on them. It’s their 1 and only chance that’s in their hands to close the gap, they really need to take it. They’re loaded with expensive signings, come down from the premier league against a promoted side, at home in front of a big crowd. Anything but a win for Leeds today is a failure for them.

I don’t like the term free hit and of course it’s not for us, it’s a good chance to keep them at arms length but we can play without too much pressure or expectation. Silence their crowd, hit them on the break.
Today's game on 12:00 - Dec 23 with 1149 viewsHerbivore

Today's game on 11:57 - Dec 23 by _clive_baker_

I actually don’t feel nervous. Did last week, normally do when we’re expected to win, but today feels like a bit less pressure as it’s all on them. It’s their 1 and only chance that’s in their hands to close the gap, they really need to take it. They’re loaded with expensive signings, come down from the premier league against a promoted side, at home in front of a big crowd. Anything but a win for Leeds today is a failure for them.

I don’t like the term free hit and of course it’s not for us, it’s a good chance to keep them at arms length but we can play without too much pressure or expectation. Silence their crowd, hit them on the break.

My rational brain completely agrees with you but I seem to have totally lost my arse.

Login to get fewer ads

Today's game on 12:06 - Dec 23 with 1119 viewsDubtractor

Today's game on 12:00 - Dec 23 by Herbivore

My rational brain completely agrees with you but I seem to have totally lost my arse.

To be honest, I think we're back to being nervous as hell before every game again now.

First half of the season was lovely. No pressure, no expectation, just enjoying every game back at this level. Now expectation levels are back up, every game counts, and we'll stress about everything.

None of it is remotely rational, but that's the joy of being a football fan.

COYB!

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Today's game on 12:08 - Dec 23 with 1106 viewsredrickstuhaart

Don't want to be an arse, but you are nervous about it, not for it.

Weird americanism / youtubeism that is getting everywhere and really annoys me!
Today's game on 12:08 - Dec 23 with 1104 viewsBluespeed225

Excellent rationale!
Today's game on 12:09 - Dec 23 with 1089 viewsFrimleyBlue

I feel like it's either gonna a town 2 1 win.

Or a Leeds 4-0 win.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Today's game on 12:13 - Dec 23 with 1045 viewssolemio

Today's game on 12:00 - Dec 23 by Herbivore

That's very careless of you. May I suggest you look behind.
Today's game on 12:13 - Dec 23 with 1043 viewsTonytown

Today's game on 12:09 - Dec 23 by FrimleyBlue

Or a Leeds 4-0 win.

Or a West Brom type game, where they dominate the ball
Today's game on 12:14 - Dec 23 with 1041 viewsBluespeed225

Today's game on 11:57 - Dec 23 by _clive_baker_

Last week was dry mouth/ squeaky bum time for the entire game. Tried to , as a scan, ‘play the game not the occasion’, but we’d waited so long! No problem with the result really, we let ourselves down with the goals, and chances missed, but the run keeps going, and Leeds must’ve felt worse with their draw AFTER seeing ours. No pressure today, all on them. We can do it! My new worry? Southampton.
Today's game on 12:23 - Dec 23 with 961 viewsTonytown

Today's game on 12:14 - Dec 23 by Bluespeed225

Last week was dry mouth/ squeaky bum time for the entire game. Tried to , as a scan, ‘play the game not the occasion’, but we’d waited so long! No problem with the result really, we let ourselves down with the goals, and chances missed, but the run keeps going, and Leeds must’ve felt worse with their draw AFTER seeing ours. No pressure today, all on them. We can do it! My new worry? Southampton.

Sadly, this year all 3 relegated teams have got their act together.

There’s normally at least 1 basket case that take until January to start improving.

We need to keep on doing what we’ve done so far & get a few extra bodies in next month to improve the team further.
Today's game on 12:28 - Dec 23 with 906 viewsHerbivore

Today's game on 12:08 - Dec 23 by redrickstuhaart

Don't want to be an arse, but you are nervous about it, not for it.

Weird americanism / youtubeism that is getting everywhere and really annoys me!

You know they say that everything in a sentence before the 'but' is irrelevant.

Today's game on 12:31 - Dec 23 with 877 viewspointofblue

Today's game on 11:55 - Dec 23 by Herbivore

What would convince you? We're halfway through the season, tracking for over 100 points, with a 10 point gap to third. If we lose today it's the sort of game a top 2 team always has a chance of losing, they're a very good side, especially at home. I doubt the players' confidence is fragile enough that if we lose today they will lose all belief, they didn't when Leeds beat us at PR.

It'd depend on how we lose. If it's a close fought defeat like at Portman Road earlier this season, then brush it off and go again. If it's totally one-sided, then doubt may creep in.

Two things spring to mind with this:
In 2001/2002 we were in a good run of form in February, climbing from bottom of the Premier League to 12th. We then faced Liverpool, got thrashed 6-0, and never recovered.
In 2014/2015 we were top of table before running into then second place Derby and Southampton (in a FA Cup replay) in quick succession at Portman Road. We didn't turn up in either game, doubt crept in, and limped to sixth.

So it's not losing which is the problem; it's the manner of the defeat and subsequent mental strength.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Today's game on 13:46 - Dec 23 with 784 viewspointofblue

Today's game on 12:31 - Dec 23 by pointofblue

It'd depend on how we lose. If it's a close fought defeat like at Portman Road earlier this season, then brush it off and go again. If it's totally one-sided, then doubt may creep in.

Two things spring to mind with this:
In 2001/2002 we were in a good run of form in February, climbing from bottom of the Premier League to 12th. We then faced Liverpool, got thrashed 6-0, and never recovered.
In 2014/2015 we were top of table before running into then second place Derby and Southampton (in a FA Cup replay) in quick succession at Portman Road. We didn't turn up in either game, doubt crept in, and limped to sixth.

So it's not losing which is the problem; it's the manner of the defeat and subsequent mental strength.

Umm...

Today's game on 13:53 - Dec 23 with 753 viewsHerbivore

Today's game on 13:46 - Dec 23 by pointofblue

Umm...

We've generally been very good at brushing off defeats and getting straight back on it, this will be a test but the group seems mentally strong and will hopefully just write it off as a bad day at the office with a perfect storm of too many players being below par and nothing really going our way either.

Today's game on 14:01 - Dec 23 with 710 viewspointofblue

Today's game on 13:53 - Dec 23 by Herbivore

We've generally been very good at brushing off defeats and getting straight back on it, this will be a test but the group seems mentally strong and will hopefully just write it off as a bad day at the office with a perfect storm of too many players being below par and nothing really going our way either.

I wish we didn't have Leicester next. Would prefer QPR to come first.

Today's game on 14:02 - Dec 23 with 702 viewsChampionsofInnsbruck

Today's game on 12:09 - Dec 23 by FrimleyBlue

Or a Leeds 4-0 win.

Painfully accurate!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024