Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
If us and Leicester can maintain or extend the gap to the chasers ... 06:52 - Oct 5 with 3511 viewsDarth_Koont

...that’s going to put massive pressure on a number of our challengers. For clubs like Leeds, West Brom or Southampton to feel the automatics already drifting away in October and that the lottery of the playoffs will be their likely path will put a severe dent in their confidence and ability to build momentum. And probably get enough fans angry and looking to turn their frustration on the players, manager, club or all three.

The next 10 games could be season-defining for the promotion race. If we can average a very doable 2 points per game we’d really be turning the screw.

Lovely stuff. 😀

Pronouns: He/Him

If us and Leicester can maintain or extend the gap to the chasers ... on 07:37 - Oct 5 with 2908 viewsibbleobble

Our December is going to define our season. The more cushion we can build between now and then the better. It’s an incredible start but we will have bumps especially around Christmas but I do expect a few managerial changes amongst the chasing pack in the not too distant future so who knows what that’ll bring.
If us and Leicester can maintain or extend the gap to the chasers ... on 07:42 - Oct 5 with 2886 viewsDubtractor

25 points from 10 games is a frankly astonishing start to the season - genuinely an incredible effort.

Momentum is such an important thing in football, as you allude to, it builds confidence and winning becomes a habit - just as losing can easily do so.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

If us and Leicester can maintain or extend the gap to the chasers ... on 07:51 - Oct 5 with 2839 viewsMetal_Hacker

I think the most important aspect from between now and December is that we are still there or thereabouts in the top 3

The higher we are and the bigger the gap the more chance we have of making THAT signing(s) that could just propel us in January to yet another level

Poll: If it were one or the other

If us and Leicester can maintain or extend the gap to the chasers ... on 08:05 - Oct 5 with 2788 viewsDarth_Koont

If us and Leicester can maintain or extend the gap to the chasers ... on 07:51 - Oct 5 by Metal_Hacker

I think the most important aspect from between now and December is that we are still there or thereabouts in the top 3

The higher we are and the bigger the gap the more chance we have of making THAT signing(s) that could just propel us in January to yet another level

Agreed. And will be very interesting to see how we keep developing the team and who we might be looking at for January.

We feel so grounded in the reality and the process that I’m sure the focus will be on ourselves and what we can improve, still taking each game one at a time.

I’m just thinking that two clubs getting away from the rest this early will also create a fair bit of extra and damaging pressure for our more lofty challengers. A win against Preston would be a massive step towards this — so I’m sure the rest of the challenging group are hoping we get pegged back instead.

Pronouns: He/Him

If us and Leicester can maintain or extend the gap to the chasers ... on 08:21 - Oct 5 with 2711 viewsPioneerBlue

Enjoy the moment. One game at a time.

Blog: Ipswich Ramblings

If us and Leicester can maintain or extend the gap to the chasers ... on 08:22 - Oct 5 with 2709 viewsChurchman

If us and Leicester can maintain or extend the gap to the chasers ... on 07:42 - Oct 5 by Dubtractor

25 points from 10 games is a frankly astonishing start to the season - genuinely an incredible effort.

Momentum is such an important thing in football, as you allude to, it builds confidence and winning becomes a habit - just as losing can easily do so.

Agree with this. After 10 games, while your season may not be defined, as a promoted team you know the strength of the opposition and roughly where you ‘fit’. We fit pretty well.

Ok, I doubt we will continue this insane level of winning (something like 21 wins from 25 games fine mid Feb, 8/10 this season), but it’s clear we are competitive. It’s so many games it’s almost beyond momentum. And we are getting results without key players to showing the strength of the squad. Nobody home or away is going to say whoopee it’s Ipswich like they did in 2018/19.

The Tuesday game was significant in that we didn’t just edge over the line. We battered a decent team and that was what we did in the run in last season. A one off? Off day for Hull, who looked very efficient when they trampled all over Stoke the other week? Who knows. But it is looking good.
If us and Leicester can maintain or extend the gap to the chasers ... on 08:36 - Oct 5 with 2654 viewsHerbivore

So much of football is psychological that a massive points gap at the top can almost become self perpetuating. Last season in League 1 (a lesser quality league admittedly) the top 3 pulled away pretty early on and although a couple of sides threatened to crash the party - Derby and Barnsley - they simply couldn't sustain the level of form needed over a long enough period to really come close to overhauling the three at the top, despite ourselves and Wednesday having a period where we blipped. I think other teams start to get a sense of the lead being unassailable and the sides at the top similarly have the confidence that they're going to maintain their position too.

I know this season isn't going to be plain sailing, but if we can maintain even close to this form over the next ten games then we're going to be in an outstanding position.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

If us and Leicester can maintain or extend the gap to the chasers ... on 08:41 - Oct 5 with 2626 viewsUSA

If us and Leicester can maintain or extend the gap to the chasers ... on 07:37 - Oct 5 by ibbleobble

Our December is going to define our season. The more cushion we can build between now and then the better. It’s an incredible start but we will have bumps especially around Christmas but I do expect a few managerial changes amongst the chasing pack in the not too distant future so who knows what that’ll bring.

January and international call ups is the biggest concern for me
Login to get fewer ads

If us and Leicester can maintain or extend the gap to the chasers ... on 08:58 - Oct 5 with 2512 viewsStadiumofdark

If us and Leicester can maintain or extend the gap to the chasers ... on 08:36 - Oct 5 by Herbivore

So much of football is psychological that a massive points gap at the top can almost become self perpetuating. Last season in League 1 (a lesser quality league admittedly) the top 3 pulled away pretty early on and although a couple of sides threatened to crash the party - Derby and Barnsley - they simply couldn't sustain the level of form needed over a long enough period to really come close to overhauling the three at the top, despite ourselves and Wednesday having a period where we blipped. I think other teams start to get a sense of the lead being unassailable and the sides at the top similarly have the confidence that they're going to maintain their position too.

I know this season isn't going to be plain sailing, but if we can maintain even close to this form over the next ten games then we're going to be in an outstanding position.

Win one, lose one for the rest of the season would give us 77 points.
Our great start has given us a chance, hasn't it.

Incredible.

TATD
If us and Leicester can maintain or extend the gap to the chasers ... on 09:03 - Oct 5 with 2485 viewsDanTheMan

If us and Leicester can maintain or extend the gap to the chasers ... on 08:41 - Oct 5 by USA

If we keep roughly where we are coming into January, I imagine players will want to jump on the bandwagon. Puts us in a good position compared to our rivals.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

If us and Leicester can maintain or extend the gap to the chasers ... on 09:03 - Oct 5 with 2479 viewsKieran_Knows

If us and Leicester can maintain or extend the gap to the chasers ... on 08:41 - Oct 5 by USA

This.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

If us and Leicester can maintain or extend the gap to the chasers ... on 09:05 - Oct 5 with 2469 viewsSitfcB

If us and Leicester can maintain or extend the gap to the chasers ... on 08:36 - Oct 5 by Herbivore

Happened in the Championship last season as well, Burnley and Sheff Utd pulled away pretty quick and they were both basically up with 10 or more games to go!

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

If us and Leicester can maintain or extend the gap to the chasers ... on 09:05 - Oct 5 with 2466 viewsRozz

If us and Leicester can maintain or extend the gap to the chasers ... on 07:37 - Oct 5 by ibbleobble

Glad several of those teams are underperforming so December is not as relentless as it once appeared.

16th December to 20th Jan however:
Norwich (H)
Leeds (A)
Leicester (H)
QPR (H)
Stoke (A)
Sunderland (H)*
Leicester (A)*

*Potentially without Morsy + Luongo.

Eesh.
[Post edited 5 Oct 2023 9:13]
If us and Leicester can maintain or extend the gap to the chasers ... on 09:08 - Oct 5 with 2438 viewsHerbivore

If us and Leicester can maintain or extend the gap to the chasers ... on 09:05 - Oct 5 by Rozz

Glad several of those teams are underperforming so December is not as relentless as it once appeared.

Norwich (H)
Leeds (A)
Leicester (H)
QPR (H)
Stoke (A)
Sunderland (H)*
Leicester (A)*

Eesh.

21 points, 21 goals.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

If us and Leicester can maintain or extend the gap to the chasers ... on 09:17 - Oct 5 with 2385 viewsDanTheMan

If us and Leicester can maintain or extend the gap to the chasers ... on 09:05 - Oct 5 by Rozz

Norwich (H)
Leeds (A)
Leicester (H)
QPR (H)
Stoke (A)
Sunderland (H)*
Leicester (A)*

Eesh.

Didn't realise when the two Leicester games fell. Oof.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

If us and Leicester can maintain or extend the gap to the chasers ... on 09:27 - Oct 5 with 2347 viewstractorboy1978

50 points from 36 games will very likely see us in the play offs. You'd have to say it is going to take a spectacular drop off (from a team that has won 21 of their last 25 league games) for us not to achieve that.
If us and Leicester can maintain or extend the gap to the chasers ... on 09:31 - Oct 5 with 2325 viewstractorboy1978

Norwich (H)
Leeds (A)
Leicester (H)
QPR (H)
Stoke (A)
Sunderland (H)*
Leicester (A)*

Eesh.

I strongly suspect a central midfielder is going to be top of our priority list in January. Hopefully Ashton can work with the efficiency/speed he did last January.
[Post edited 5 Oct 2023 9:31]
If us and Leicester can maintain or extend the gap to the chasers ... on 09:33 - Oct 5 with 2294 viewsFrimleyBlue

If us and Leicester can maintain or extend the gap to the chasers ... on 07:51 - Oct 5 by Metal_Hacker

If league table is similar in Jan to how it is now, I can see us going in for Armstrong.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

If us and Leicester can maintain or extend the gap to the chasers ... on 09:54 - Oct 5 with 2208 viewsPinewoodblue

Norwich (H)
Leeds (A)
Leicester (H)
QPR (H)
Stoke (A)
Sunderland (H)*
Leicester (A)*

Eesh.

Plus an FA cup game and the potential of 2 league cup games between those dates.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

If us and Leicester can maintain or extend the gap to the chasers ... on 10:46 - Oct 5 with 2065 viewstextbackup

If us and Leicester can maintain or extend the gap to the chasers ... on 07:42 - Oct 5 by Dubtractor

I was annoyed the other night that we need to maintain this form to hit 100 points… without remembering it’s a 46 game season!

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

If us and Leicester can maintain or extend the gap to the chasers ... on 10:51 - Oct 5 with 2045 views_clive_baker_

Equally if they run away with the league it becomes a bun fight for 2nd, against some clubs that can afford to get the cheque book out in January.

Personally I would rather Leicester stay in touching distance and we had 2 positions to go after at this stage. They'll have a little wobble at some point, and hopefully they get offers they can't refuse in January for the likes of Dewsbury-Hall.
If us and Leicester can maintain or extend the gap to the chasers ... on 10:55 - Oct 5 with 2009 viewsBobbychase

And the weekly high crowds are also feeding into the transfer coffers. Looks like another 29,000+ for Preston and Plymouth tickets are flying out of the door too.

One of my relatives tried to book corporate hospitality for Swansea home match and was told it had already sold out.

Still, as Bristol City fans keep telling us, Ashton is a con man who will ruin us.

Poll: Who's going to be at the Bolton game?

If us and Leicester can maintain or extend the gap to the chasers ... on 11:01 - Oct 5 with 1979 views_clive_baker_

Norwich (H)
Leeds (A)
Leicester (H)
QPR (H)
Stoke (A)
Sunderland (H)*
Leicester (A)*

Eesh.

Think it starts before the 16th to be fair. The 2 games prior to Norwich are Boro and Watford away. Horrible trips really, Boro are seemingly finding some form and you never know which Watford you're going to get.
If us and Leicester can maintain or extend the gap to the chasers ... on 11:06 - Oct 5 with 1950 viewsRozz

If us and Leicester can maintain or extend the gap to the chasers ... on 11:01 - Oct 5 by _clive_baker_

Think it starts before the 16th to be fair. The 2 games prior to Norwich are Boro and Watford away. Horrible trips really, Boro are seemingly finding some form and you never know which Watford you're going to get.

I think Watford is very winnable, a short trip and an away sellout. Granted Boro are starting to pull their finger out, but remains to be seen what shape they're in by then.
If us and Leicester can maintain or extend the gap to the chasers ... on 11:15 - Oct 5 with 1897 views_clive_baker_

If us and Leicester can maintain or extend the gap to the chasers ... on 11:06 - Oct 5 by Rozz

I think Watford is very winnable, a short trip and an away sellout. Granted Boro are starting to pull their finger out, but remains to be seen what shape they're in by then.

One of my pet hates in football is looking at records against clubs. 'Only 1 win in the last 6', yeah but you're going back to 2009 for that, always thought it completely meaningless. Contrary to that, there is something about Watford away that I'm scarred by (and I was there for Chaplow). I've had some horrible visits there, it conjures up images of an always really athletic Watford, tall, ripped, rapid, typically running rings against our bunch of ageing carthorses and meek yoofs who look every bit the 17 / 18 year olds they were.

It's like when my school team used to go and play other sides, us 13 / 14 year old bumpkins turning up against a bunch of lads who all looked like you would serve them in a pub.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024