Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ipswich current state thoughts as we break for the internationals 11:46 - Sep 4 with 1586 viewsunstableblue

Looking back at a superb comeback victory against Cardiff general views seem to be:

- Cardiff again showed the step-up in quality of the Championship with a very strong first half display.
- First team to deploy the good ole ‘low block’ against us, with 2 banks of 4
- But the Welsh side also had real quality breaking forward - out wide and with Ramsey central - and they were hurting us
- Clarke whilst doing some good things was not getting tight enough to his man, leading to Cardiff’s first goal
- We weren’t breaking the lines and Chaplin and Broadhead were yet again struggling to find the space they need to play their game; Luongo was also struggling to find his rhythm
- Cardiffs second was very unlucky for Town as deflections hurts us in the build up
- Morsy was imperious throughout, with three stand out sliding tackles (see Twitter/X) and the ball feeding Broadhead for the game changing piece of quality… a thunderbolt after two jinks
- the Cardiff fans then think their manager threw it away with some personnel and tactical changes to hold on to the 2-1 lead… but I think the home crowd and some Town player belief was as important and the introduction of Freddie for Hirst
- Not sure Freddie is getting the deserved plaudits for his first strike which was cute
- The winner had some of the fortune of Cardiff’s second, but by then was deserved
- Hutchison, Taylor and Williams proved strong subs and where pivotal to the win

So where are we as a team as we break for the internationals:

- Well first off the number of squad players actually going away with international teams, and U21s this weekend shows the improved squad fortunes and quality
- being second and on a PPG good enough for automatics is something we could have only dreamed of!! Especially having played the likes of Leeds, Sunderland and Stoke
- the weekend results were also good across the league with rivals and parachute payment clubs dropping points, showing it’s a more even league… Cardiff would have given anyone a good game.
- the much vaunted benefits of stability and continuity are really proving true for Town, as mush as in that we are a team that is used to winning… this is an incredible run of results now
- Our fitness levels seem to be a difference, team like QPR, Leeds come to heavily press us, but come 60mins they seem to tire and we move up a gear
- the transfer window was perhaps better than some think… Williams is really looking high quality and may soon replace Clarke (albeit Clarke is very powerful in the air at set pieces, and going forward). Taylor had his best display and his longer range passing impressed, may soon replace Luongo. Evans does provide good central midfield back-up. Hutchison is learning to be lore effective
- are we too weak up top? And in left centre back? Hirst fitness will be key and Burgess form. Can we get a tune out of Scarlett?

Just a great time to support Town, as the PR atmosphere and ticket clamour confirm

Sheff Weds will be making the Town game a chance to turn round their season against recent League One rivals… time for us to go up a gear!!

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Ipswich current state thoughts as we break for the internationals on 11:55 - Sep 4 with 1488 viewsthebooks

That’s a very good summary!

My main questions are defensive. Have we been found out a bit and have teams decided to target the inside forward positions, just behind the wingbacks?

I think Clarke is very good, but not sure if he’s been positioinally suspect? Woolfenden was really having a go at him on Sat.

Burgess has played well, but is perhaps a little susceptible to being run at by these higher quality forwards.

But as others have said, if the approach is we’ll score more than you, more than happy with that.

KM has shown we didn’t need lots of new players, which is testament to the squad and what he’s got out of it.
Ipswich current state thoughts as we break for the internationals on 11:56 - Sep 4 with 1489 viewshomer_123

- First team to deploy the good ole ‘low block’ against us, with 2 banks of 4

Not entirely true.

If you look, they deployed the same approach as Leeds did. Cardiff and Leeds pushed 4 up top when we had the ball deep in our own half, with a double pivot sitting behind that four. This meant it was very difficult for Morsy and Luongo to play through directly to Chappers and Broadhead, invariably meaning we had to go wide, often with a long ball with both Cardiff and Leeds dealt with well.

- the Cardiff fans then think their manager threw it away with some personnel and tactical changes to hold on to the 2-1 lead… but I think the home crowd and some Town player belief was as important and the introduction of Freddie for Hirst

He made two changes that greatly affected the match negatively for Cardiff. Their 22 hold up striker was taken off and their full back 17 was taken off. Their forward proved a real handful for our two CBs - won most ariel battles and generally help the ball up exceptionally well, allowing Cardiff to get forward quickly. After about 5 mins in the first half, Burns ascertained he didn't have the pace or trickery to beat the full back and just didn't try to beat him, was only until the second half that he tried once or twice.

These two changes, I think, had a dramatic effect on the game, with us more easily winning the ball from a Cardiff attack and allowing us to control things a little more and the full back change massively backfired with Hutch coming on especially.

He also, rightly, commented that Cardiff's workrate across the team wasn't consistent, which ended up have a big bearing on the game.

The above doesn't take away from the fact we did exceptionally well to come back and win a game from 2 down.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Ipswich current state thoughts as we break for the internationals on 12:04 - Sep 4 with 1414 views_clive_baker_

I think Cardiff showed some quality, and might seem like tidy opposition relative to a lot of what we saw last season, but by Championship standards I don't think they're much to write home about. Their only win thus far took a 98th minute penalty at home to Sheffield Wednesday, who themselves aren't much cop. I think they're in for a tough season.

There really wasn't a lot in the game, they scored a good 1st goal from their perspective, had another disallowed which looked marginal, and missed a guilt edge chance through Meite's header all in the 1st half. We had Hladky to thank for a couple of smart stops in the 2nd half too, and relied on a touch of fortune about both our 2nd and 3rd goals, so from their perspective I'm sure they're thinking they did enough to take something from the game. As we did last week against Leeds to be fair, you sometimes just don't get the rub.

Goes to show how much higher the quality is at the level though doesn't it, when they're likely one of the lesser sides we'll play. It's so much more enjoyable though, literally anyone can beat anyone in this division.
Ipswich current state thoughts as we break for the internationals on 12:11 - Sep 4 with 1378 viewsSitfcB

The finish for the winner from Freddie may have been fortuitous but the fact he did get on the end of it was all down to his superb movement.

Get a good view of that from 16:15 on here…

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Ipswich current state thoughts as we break for the internationals on 12:15 - Sep 4 with 1350 viewsFtnfwest

Clarke's clearly carrying an injury which has been documented before and we hadn't expected to lose JD at this point who hopefully will be back after the break unless Kieron decides to go with Williams there for now. Having said all that its the one area as a whole you'd think we need to strengthen. I think the combinations of midfield and attack we can throw out are more than good enough to hold our own in this division.
Ipswich current state thoughts as we break for the internationals on 12:54 - Sep 4 with 1182 viewsBiGDonnie

You not gonna cream your pants about the away fans as per?

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

Ipswich current state thoughts as we break for the internationals on 12:58 - Sep 4 with 1136 viewsBobbychase

Ipswich current state thoughts as we break for the internationals on 11:55 - Sep 4 by thebooks

My main questions are defensive. Have we been found out a bit and have teams decided to target the inside forward positions, just behind the wingbacks?

I think Clarke is very good, but not sure if he’s been positioinally suspect? Woolfenden was really having a go at him on Sat.

Burgess has played well, but is perhaps a little susceptible to being run at by these higher quality forwards.

But as others have said, if the approach is we’ll score more than you, more than happy with that.

KM has shown we didn’t need lots of new players, which is testament to the squad and what he’s got out of it.

I feel we get another momentum shift when Taylor and Scarlett find their feet. We create so many chances, even in our only defeat this season we made enough opportunities to win two games.

Poll: Who's going to be at the Bolton game?

Ipswich current state thoughts as we break for the internationals on 16:34 - Sep 4 with 898 viewsGarv

Ipswich current state thoughts as we break for the internationals on 11:55 - Sep 4 by thebooks

LW and HC are always having ding dongs. In a way I'll start worrying if they don't.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024