Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
A great Saturday in the Championship ahead, key games - some thoughts 09:16 - Aug 10 with 1277 viewsunstableblue

All teams play on Saturday with only the one early kick-off, so we’ll know the shape of the table come the final whistle at PR.

I’ve thrown in some random predictions on results/scores, feel free to comment

SATURDAY 12TH AUGUST

12:30
Coventry v Middlesbrough (1-1)

15:00
Birmingham v Leeds (2-1)
Cardiff v QPR (2-0)
Huddersfield v Leicester (1-1)
Hull v Sheff Wed (2-0)
Ipswich v Stoke (3-1)
Millwall v Bristol City (2-1)
Preston v Sunderland (1-0)
Rotherham v Blackburn (0-2)
Southampton v Norwich (2-1)
Watford v Plymouth (0-2)
West Brom v Swansea (1-1)

There are loads of interesting match-ups. The first weekend results can be sometimes not reflective of things to come, and managers have had cup games and a week on the training field to tweak. So this weekend things will become a little more settled, albeit the transfer window means flux is a coming - see Ward Prowse at Southampton.

I think the Portman Road game is right up there in terms of understanding how the leagues going to pan out - Town have momentum and stability, got a great result but at times were under the cosh in gameday 1. Stoke have spent large and have had big squad change, but look quality and hit the ground running with 3 points last weekend. Like us they won in the cup midweek, against sterner competition in near rivals West Brom.

Other matches of interest are many:

Coventry were unlucky in losing to two late goals from Leicester, they’re quality and will want 3 points at home. Whilst Carricks’ Boro will also want to get the season going with points, having struggled to put chances away and losing by a single goal at home to Millwall.

Birmingham are the new money bags and will want to build on a point on the road against Swansea last week by getting something from parachute loaded Leeds, who saved some blushes with a late equaliser at home to Cardiff in week 1.

Warnock will bring out his bag of tricks to get Huddersfield’s season going, having done OK in a windy encounter with Plymouth, but lost out via some good Pilgrims attacking play. But Leicester will be a different challenge where the excellent Dewsbury Hall looks in fine fettle (if he doesn’t leave that is). I can see Warnock getting something and a hopeful rude awakening for Leicester, who could easily go on a run.

Saints v Norwich looks tasty - Saints were tippy tappy kings against a poor Sheff Weds, but Norwich will be completely different gravy, with Budgie fans buoyed by the quality of their display and 3 points at home to Hull.

Finally Watford v Plymouth, Towns fellow Championship new boys have as usual a long travel up to Vicarage Road, but go with confidence with 3 already on the board. Watford stormed past a hapless QPR, but I think Schumacher’s Pilgrims will give a good account and are dark horses for a result. They’ll be well supported.

All in all another cracking Championship schedule, and isn’t it great for Town to be involved. And I think we’re in for a big match of real action at Temple Portman Road.

COYFB

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

A great Saturday in the Championship ahead, key games - some thoughts on 09:30 - Aug 10 with 1200 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

Our game vs Stoke should be a belter.

They are very dangerous, got a bit of everything. Pace, power, experience. Looking forward to it.

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

A great Saturday in the Championship ahead, key games - some thoughts on 11:07 - Aug 10 with 1075 viewsunstableblue

A great Saturday in the Championship ahead, key games - some thoughts on 09:30 - Aug 10 by TRUE_BLUE123

They are very dangerous, got a bit of everything. Pace, power, experience. Looking forward to it.

I think its great news Clarke came on last night and looked fit and sharp.

He provides the pace and dynanism we need.

I don't think Stoke will match Sunderland's intense press, and midfield two, and the atmosphere will be behind us not against us. Also I think the lads will have learnt a lot from The Stadium of Light encounter.. so I'm feeling good about it, whilst knowing its a huge test.

I do think we need to make Portman Road a cauldron.. and really raise the roof. Be the 12th man as they say.

1700 Stoke away tickets old early today; think a final rush.. on 21:49 - Aug 10 with 873 viewsunstableblue

… means it’s a few singles left

So I assume 1900 away fans come Saturday

A full Portman Road for the first game of the season in August - when was the last time we had that?! Must be some time indeed.

You can read the Stoke fans view of the game below, which I’d say is cautiously optimistic from a team on the up, but wary of Town and home winning run

https://oatcakefanzine.proboards.com/thread/309425/ipswich-town-stoke-city

1700 Stoke away tickets old early today; think a final rush.. on 22:08 - Aug 10 with 847 viewsArnieM

1700 Stoke away tickets old early today; think a final rush.. on 21:49 - Aug 10 by unstableblue

… means it’s a few singles left

So I assume 1900 away fans come Saturday

A full Portman Road for the first game of the season in August - when was the last time we had that?! Must be some time indeed.

You can read the Stoke fans view of the game below, which I’d say is cautiously optimistic from a team on the up, but wary of Town and home winning run

https://oatcakefanzine.proboards.com/thread/309425/ipswich-town-stoke-city

One post had us as being arrogant …, gif knows where they’ve got that from because it’s pundits in the game that are bigging us up!

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

A great Saturday in the Championship ahead, key games - some thoughts on 23:43 - Aug 10 with 680 viewsthe_toff

A great Saturday in the Championship ahead, key games - some thoughts on 09:30 - Aug 10 by TRUE_BLUE123

I think they’ll have a great season, it’s another marker of where we’re at as a team (as was Sunderland). Win Saturday and I might start to believe we could be right up there come May. Now my hangover from a weekend in Newcastle has subsided I’m looking forward to Saturday.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024