Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Neighbour flew to Rhodes yesterday😳 20:56 - Jul 23 with 3492 viewsElderGrizzly

TUI admitted they knew of the evacuations half-way through the flight but decided to carry on.

They were taken from the airport to a local school doubling up as an evacuation centre, not their hotel which was evacuated earlier that day.

They are still there 24 hours later and told it could be Wednesday before they are moved. No flights out of Rhodes until their scheduled date.

First world problems and all that, but TUI/Jet2 aren’t covering themselves with glory and will be waiting for FCDO advice to change before doing anything about getting people out ahead of schedule.

It’a just bizarre knowing the hotels were shut, these holiday companies dumped a few hundred more directly into evacuation centres.
Neighbour flew to Rhodes yesterday😳 on 21:04 - Jul 23 with 3019 viewsMullet

Colleague had their holiday for Wednesday cancelled, but are now stressing as there is limited availability in their budget for alternatives and obviously they can only go in the school holidays.

Seems a massive screw up that TUI et al. would fly people there doesn't it? Surely they can't benefit as they'll be liable for more now?

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Neighbour flew to Rhodes yesterday😳 on 21:28 - Jul 23 with 2903 viewsElderGrizzly

Neighbour flew to Rhodes yesterday😳 on 21:04 - Jul 23 by Mullet

Colleague had their holiday for Wednesday cancelled, but are now stressing as there is limited availability in their budget for alternatives and obviously they can only go in the school holidays.

Seems a massive screw up that TUI et al. would fly people there doesn't it? Surely they can't benefit as they'll be liable for more now?

They’ll all be currently hiding behind FCDO guidance to avoid refunds/compensation for those who didn’t want to travel yesterday or now want to come home early.

The gesture today to not fly anyone else out for a few days was welcomed, but for context 30 flights from the UK landed in Rhodes from early evening to midnight yesterday. All full of passengers.

It’s arse covering/wallet covering on a huge scale.
Neighbour flew to Rhodes yesterday😳 on 21:45 - Jul 23 with 2808 viewsPinewoodblue

Neighbour flew to Rhodes yesterday😳 on 21:28 - Jul 23 by ElderGrizzly

They’ll all be currently hiding behind FCDO guidance to avoid refunds/compensation for those who didn’t want to travel yesterday or now want to come home early.

The gesture today to not fly anyone else out for a few days was welcomed, but for context 30 flights from the UK landed in Rhodes from early evening to midnight yesterday. All full of passengers.

It’s arse covering/wallet covering on a huge scale.

Every cancelled outgoing flight means a returning flight being cancelled and people stranded.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Neighbour flew to Rhodes yesterday😳 on 21:49 - Jul 23 with 2757 viewsElderGrizzly

Neighbour flew to Rhodes yesterday😳 on 21:45 - Jul 23 by Pinewoodblue

Every cancelled outgoing flight means a returning flight being cancelled and people stranded.

You can send flights empty, which is what 2 companies have started to do today.

They sent 5,000 people out yesterday knowing certain hotels were literally burning
Neighbour flew to Rhodes yesterday😳 on 21:55 - Jul 23 with 2732 viewscressi

Neighbour flew to Rhodes yesterday😳 on 21:49 - Jul 23 by ElderGrizzly

You can send flights empty, which is what 2 companies have started to do today.

They sent 5,000 people out yesterday knowing certain hotels were literally burning

Lucky I was out there end of June and missed this .July and August to hot for me, next holiday September when temperatures are more bearable feel sorry for anybody stuck there or lost holiday.
Neighbour flew to Rhodes yesterday😳 on 22:07 - Jul 23 with 2657 viewsronnyd

Neighbour flew to Rhodes yesterday😳 on 21:04 - Jul 23 by Mullet

Would anyone honestly take kids over to a place that's in the middle of a crisis? I would rather lose the money. Life is worth far more than a few days on a beach.
Neighbour flew to Rhodes yesterday😳 on 22:14 - Jul 23 with 2630 viewsElderGrizzly

Neighbour flew to Rhodes yesterday😳 on 22:07 - Jul 23 by ronnyd

Would anyone honestly take kids over to a place that's in the middle of a crisis? I would rather lose the money. Life is worth far more than a few days on a beach.

TUI were giving assurances all was ok yesterday before they took off. 3 people did leave the plane though.

This article explains the fun for travellers, who by the letter of contract would lose all money as things stand if they took the decision not to travel.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2023/jul/23/travel-operators-urged-to-refun
Neighbour flew to Rhodes yesterday😳 on 22:20 - Jul 23 with 2595 viewspointofblue

Neighbour flew to Rhodes yesterday😳 on 22:14 - Jul 23 by ElderGrizzly

TUI were giving assurances all was ok yesterday before they took off. 3 people did leave the plane though.

This article explains the fun for travellers, who by the letter of contract would lose all money as things stand if they took the decision not to travel.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2023/jul/23/travel-operators-urged-to-refun

'Holiday company Jet2 has now cancelled five flights to Rhodes, while Tui cancelled all flights there until Wednesday.

'Thomas Cook has taken a different approach, and said customers booked to travel in Rhodes on Sunday and Monday "have still been keen to enjoy their holiday" as most areas of the island remain open.'

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-66284588

Are they serious? At least they are offering a refund to anyone who doesn't want to travel (next paragraph) but no tourists should be going there at the moment.
[Post edited 23 Jul 2023 22:22]

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Login to get fewer ads

Neighbour flew to Rhodes yesterday😳 on 22:25 - Jul 23 with 2561 viewsElderGrizzly

Neighbour flew to Rhodes yesterday😳 on 22:20 - Jul 23 by pointofblue

'Holiday company Jet2 has now cancelled five flights to Rhodes, while Tui cancelled all flights there until Wednesday.

'Thomas Cook has taken a different approach, and said customers booked to travel in Rhodes on Sunday and Monday "have still been keen to enjoy their holiday" as most areas of the island remain open.'

Are they serious? At least they are offering a refund to anyone who doesn't want to travel (next paragraph) but no tourists should be going there at the moment.

Agree. Rhodes is not a big island, so while the majority is currently unaffected, the fires are affecting 5x the area they were a week ago.

FCDO sending a team out to Rhodes is one step away from the much needed “do not travel” notice
Neighbour flew to Rhodes yesterday😳 on 23:26 - Jul 23 with 2411 viewsWeWereZombies

Neighbour flew to Rhodes yesterday😳 on 22:20 - Jul 23 by pointofblue

Having spent sixteen 'interesting' months in the travel industry many years ago I can assure you that...we are getting to the time in the financial cycle where lines of credit are starting to look a bit squeezed...so it's absolutely fine to travel anywhere.

Poll: What was in Wes Burns' imaginary cup of tea ?

Neighbour flew to Rhodes yesterday😳 on 08:33 - Jul 24 with 2057 viewsnodge_blue

How can anyone want to fly out there right now when a significant part of the island is on fire?

What sort of holiday is that. Regardless of what TUI may or may not say, its pretty clear that the situation was awful just reading the BBC site etc.

Poll: best attacking central midfielder?

Neighbour flew to Rhodes yesterday😳 on 08:58 - Jul 24 with 1967 viewsNthQldITFC

Neighbour flew to Rhodes yesterday😳 on 08:33 - Jul 24 by nodge_blue

How can anyone want to fly out there right now when a significant part of the island is on fire?

What sort of holiday is that. Regardless of what TUI may or may not say, its pretty clear that the situation was awful just reading the BBC site etc.

But the pursuit of the Western Dream and the treadmill of glittering image creation for the personal altar (please do look and like, really, please do) must not be delayed by anything as unimportant as a burning island.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Neighbour flew to Rhodes yesterday😳 on 09:05 - Jul 24 with 1938 viewsblueasfook

Neighbour flew to Rhodes yesterday😳 on 21:55 - Jul 23 by cressi

Lucky I was out there end of June and missed this .July and August to hot for me, next holiday September when temperatures are more bearable feel sorry for anybody stuck there or lost holiday.

Not having a summer hol this year. We are doing Thailand and Cambodia in November. Hopefully, won't be raging temperatures. It's been a hard slog having no summer hol and no leave since March but hopefully will be worth it. So looking forward to our 3 week SE Asia adventure!

Hunk trapped in a slob's body.
Poll: How do you think season will end for us?

Neighbour flew to Rhodes yesterday😳 on 09:09 - Jul 24 with 1920 viewshype313

Neighbour flew to Rhodes yesterday😳 on 09:05 - Jul 24 by blueasfook

Not having a summer hol this year. We are doing Thailand and Cambodia in November. Hopefully, won't be raging temperatures. It's been a hard slog having no summer hol and no leave since March but hopefully will be worth it. So looking forward to our 3 week SE Asia adventure!

They're forecasting Snow in Cambodia for November.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Neighbour flew to Rhodes yesterday😳 on 09:12 - Jul 24 with 1899 viewsblueasfook

Neighbour flew to Rhodes yesterday😳 on 09:09 - Jul 24 by hype313

They're forecasting Snow in Cambodia for November.

There is no official record of it EVER snowing in Cambodia. It's tropical jungle country.

Neighbour flew to Rhodes yesterday😳 on 09:15 - Jul 24 with 1876 viewsElderGrizzly

Neighbour flew to Rhodes yesterday😳 on 09:12 - Jul 24 by blueasfook

There is no official record of it EVER snowing in Cambodia. It's tropical jungle country.

November is Sharknado season. You'll be fine...
Neighbour flew to Rhodes yesterday😳 on 09:18 - Jul 24 with 1860 viewshype313

Neighbour flew to Rhodes yesterday😳 on 09:12 - Jul 24 by blueasfook

Climate change innit

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Neighbour flew to Rhodes yesterday😳 on 09:22 - Jul 24 with 1842 viewsChurchman

Sounds brilliant. Isn’t that the monsoon season? Only joking. I’d love to go there. Whilst we’ve been on trips abroad various with chums individually, Mrs C and I haven’t been abroad since 2019. So we are river cruising down the Douro (hammering the Port Houses) with time either end on Porto and Lisbon in late September. Looking forward to it.

As for Greece, I haven’t been for a lot of years now, but we did do many of the islands back in the day. Cressi is right. June is a great time to go, as is late September, Oct or even November if you are going to somewhere like Cyprus or Malta. July and August can oppressive having done it many times (Mrs C was a teacher so little choice).

We did Knossos on Crete and after half an hour I cared more about the shade than the Minotaur. God it was hot. Same with Ephesus in Turkey. Wonder of the world? Wonder if a microwave oven in August more like.
Neighbour flew to Rhodes yesterday😳 on 09:25 - Jul 24 with 1832 viewsblueasfook

Neighbour flew to Rhodes yesterday😳 on 09:15 - Jul 24 by ElderGrizzly

November is Sharknado season. You'll be fine...

There are wild tigers in thailand. But only a couple of hundred I think and sightings of them are very rare. It's the little monkeys that are the problem apparently. they can be aggressive little sh1ts.

Neighbour flew to Rhodes yesterday😳 on 09:30 - Jul 24 with 1819 viewsblueasfook

Neighbour flew to Rhodes yesterday😳 on 09:22 - Jul 24 by Churchman

Sounds brilliant. Isn’t that the monsoon season? Only joking. I’d love to go there. Whilst we’ve been on trips abroad various with chums individually, Mrs C and I haven’t been abroad since 2019. So we are river cruising down the Douro (hammering the Port Houses) with time either end on Porto and Lisbon in late September. Looking forward to it.

As for Greece, I haven’t been for a lot of years now, but we did do many of the islands back in the day. Cressi is right. June is a great time to go, as is late September, Oct or even November if you are going to somewhere like Cyprus or Malta. July and August can oppressive having done it many times (Mrs C was a teacher so little choice).

We did Knossos on Crete and after half an hour I cared more about the shade than the Minotaur. God it was hot. Same with Ephesus in Turkey. Wonder of the world? Wonder if a microwave oven in August more like.

Monsoon season is pretty much now. So that's why we chose November to go. Apparently best months for it not being too hot/humid/rainy are November to April. Yeah looks horrific in Greece at the minute. I went to Rhodes in the 1990s on a family hol. It was not too hot from what I remember but it was about May time when we went. For climate, I like the canary islands. You can go there pretty much any time of the year and it will be the same temperature, give or take a few degrees!

Neighbour flew to Rhodes yesterday😳 on 09:31 - Jul 24 with 1806 viewsChurchman

Neighbour flew to Rhodes yesterday😳 on 09:25 - Jul 24 by blueasfook

There are wild tigers in thailand. But only a couple of hundred I think and sightings of them are very rare. It's the little monkeys that are the problem apparently. they can be aggressive little sh1ts.

Saw plenty of those in Malaysia. They spent most of their time in the trees but would steal food and stuff off tables in the blink of an eye. Cheeky beggers.
Neighbour flew to Rhodes yesterday😳 on 09:32 - Jul 24 with 1799 viewsWeWereZombies

Neighbour flew to Rhodes yesterday😳 on 09:22 - Jul 24 by Churchman

The Greeks have taken Malta ! That was kept quiet...

Poll: What was in Wes Burns' imaginary cup of tea ?

Neighbour flew to Rhodes yesterday😳 on 09:37 - Jul 24 with 1790 viewsChurchman

Neighbour flew to Rhodes yesterday😳 on 09:30 - Jul 24 by blueasfook

Monsoon season is pretty much now. So that's why we chose November to go. Apparently best months for it not being too hot/humid/rainy are November to April. Yeah looks horrific in Greece at the minute. I went to Rhodes in the 1990s on a family hol. It was not too hot from what I remember but it was about May time when we went. For climate, I like the canary islands. You can go there pretty much any time of the year and it will be the same temperature, give or take a few degrees!

The Canary Islands and Madeira are among our favourites. Great destinations all year round, as you say.

We did Rhodes in the 80s. Had a car for a week of it so saw the whole island. It was lovely then. We stayed on the west side near Rhodes Town which was breezy but boy was it hot down Linda’s way. By Greek standards it is large, but in normal times there’s plenty to do and see.
Neighbour flew to Rhodes yesterday😳 on 09:43 - Jul 24 with 1769 viewsnodge_blue

Neighbour flew to Rhodes yesterday😳 on 08:58 - Jul 24 by NthQldITFC

But the pursuit of the Western Dream and the treadmill of glittering image creation for the personal altar (please do look and like, really, please do) must not be delayed by anything as unimportant as a burning island.

We cant cancel as we've paid. TUI will have to sort it out and find us some nice 5 star where it's not a raging fire. May sip my rum and coke and get a selfie of the fire in the background.

I read the other day that climate change until 2050 is pretty much baked in - it more about emissions now coming down to try and save the second half of the century.

In that case, I wonder if we'll see the end of summer holidays to the med as it's just too hot or on fire.

Poll: best attacking central midfielder?

Neighbour flew to Rhodes yesterday😳 on 10:04 - Jul 24 with 1732 viewsRyorry

Man up petal - I haven't had a hol since 1994, & that was a week in Yorkshire!

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024