Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
MPs urging the Premier League to redistribute their millions 08:51 - Jun 30 with 993 viewsLegendofthePhoenix

Interesting article.
"EFL chairman Rick Parry wants a 25% share of pooled broadcast revenue with the Premier League, merit-based payments across all four divisions, and the abolition of parachute payments to teams relegated from the top flight."

I would go further, I've long argued that the PL should keep 50% of the revenues, then the Championship gets 50% of what is remaining, then League 1, etc, so that 50% of the remaining revenues go to successive tiers in the pyramid. Strong foundations equals a stronger pyramid. And a reduction in the utterly insane wages paid to PL stars.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66061390

Poll: would you rather

MPs urging the Premier League to redistribute their millions on 09:25 - Jun 30 with 929 viewsMattinLondon

MPs - let’s redistribute the wealth of the PL so that those footballers and clubs allowing the smaller clubs more cash and dignity. Sounds like a good idea.

Let’s redistribute the wealth of the richest on the country allowing the less well communities to have better facilities. MPs - no, let’s not do that.
MPs urging the Premier League to redistribute their millions on 09:42 - Jun 30 with 891 viewsPinewoodblue

If only EFL had listened to Sheepy, when he was chairman, and agreed to the joint marketing of Premier League & EFL broadcasting rights. This would have given EFL what the MPs are suggesting now.

The greedy EFL clubs thought they could get more going it alone.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

MPs urging the Premier League to redistribute their millions on 09:46 - Jun 30 with 865 viewschicoazul

In many ways the huge wages you mention *are* redistribution, and often to the poorest most disadvantaged people in society.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

MPs urging the Premier League to redistribute their millions on 10:52 - Jun 30 with 791 viewsGuthrum

MPs urging the Premier League to redistribute their millions on 09:46 - Jun 30 by chicoazul

In many ways the huge wages you mention *are* redistribution, and often to the poorest most disadvantaged people in society.

However, that is (much like the Lottery) taking a very small number of individuals who may be poor/disadvantaged and making tham tremendously wealthy. As wealth redistribution goes, it's not particularly efficient or fair.

Surely it would be more equitable to give a much larger number of players all the way down the football structure (including Youth and Academies) somewhat better wages, rather than extraordinary riches for a tiny elite?

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

MPs urging the Premier League to redistribute their millions on 22:16 - Jun 30 with 634 viewsHighgateBlue

MPs urging the Premier League to redistribute their millions on 09:25 - Jun 30 by MattinLondon

MPs - let’s redistribute the wealth of the PL so that those footballers and clubs allowing the smaller clubs more cash and dignity. Sounds like a good idea.

Let’s redistribute the wealth of the richest on the country allowing the less well communities to have better facilities. MPs - no, let’s not do that.

I would be delighted if the super rich paid more tax, and I would be perfectly content if I myself (not super rich) was required to pay more tax in the public interest.

However, to be fair, it is a fact that the top 10% of income taxpayers contribute over 60% of income tax receipts.

You may think that the top 10% of people should contribute 70%, 80% or even 90% of the total income tax receipts, and that's fair enough, but surely a nuanced debate is better than glib soundbites.

The proportion of the income of those taxpayers that is paid in tax surpasses anything that PL clubs pay to others by a massive amount.

A UK citizen who earns £100k in a year has paid a larger percentage of that income under Labour and Conservative governments to general taxation (i.e. towards facilities for everyone) than the percentage of Premier League revenue that goes towards any kind of selfless activity. We all know that there are PL players who earn more than that in a /week/, such is the cash in the game these days (paid for ultimately by fans' whose average annual earnings are often way less than a PL star earns in a day).

The fact that MPs are suggesting that the paltry contribution by PL clubs should grow is completely consistent with their current stance on the taxation of the populace, given that taxation as a % of GDP stands as high as it's been for at least 40 years.
MPs urging the Premier League to redistribute their millions on 23:01 - Jun 30 with 609 viewsSwansea_Blue

Mark Aston touches on this in The Price of Football interview. A more equitable distribution between the leagues would be good, but would also be useless unless there are wage reforms at the same time. Otherwise the extra money would just be funnelled into wages exacerbating the current problem of teams overcommitting on wages and running up unserviceable debts.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

MPs urging the Premier League to redistribute their millions on 00:49 - Jul 1 with 551 viewsvilanovablue

The game went in the wrong direction when clubs stopped sharing game receipts. You can trace the current issues right back to 2983 when that kicked in, the rich getting richer. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gate_receipts
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024