Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Stadium question which should've been asked tonight 22:21 - Apr 5 with 3354 viewsle2blue

In their planning work that is happening at the moment around re-development, what are they aiming for in terms of a capacity to sustain a Premier League / European team?

Given the demand in League 1, I'm sure 45k+ will be needed. Especially as we will be drawing crowds from Norfolk and East London given their team's demise.
Stadium question which should've been asked tonight on 23:49 - Apr 5 with 2812 viewsTheBoyBlue

45k would be very ambitious I think, but you're right, work on the ground, especially the Cobbold Stand will be needed at some point and I think an increase in capacity at that stage would make sense, though probably 35k would be more like it.

Such a question is a long way off needing answering though.

Blog: [Blog] The Homer Simpson of the Championship

Stadium question which should've been asked tonight on 01:01 - Apr 6 with 2723 viewsbournemouthblue

Stadium question which should've been asked tonight on 23:49 - Apr 5 by TheBoyBlue

45k would be very ambitious I think, but you're right, work on the ground, especially the Cobbold Stand will be needed at some point and I think an increase in capacity at that stage would make sense, though probably 35k would be more like it.

Agreed, 45k would be mad, I think 40k is probably possible if we have healthy away allocations

Our record crowd is 38k however when that was set, crowds were then capped to 34k due to crushing in that game

I suspect in our the late 70's, early 80's we would have got more than 38k potentially?

How many did we take to the FA Cup final?

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Stadium question which should've been asked tonight on 01:56 - Apr 6 with 2697 viewsIllinoisblue

Lot of running before we can walk here. Let’s get out of Division 3 first. 45k stadium would be absurd.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Stadium question which should've been asked tonight on 02:57 - Apr 6 with 2660 viewsPioneerBlue

One game at a time folks. All this future looking important chat can start again in the summer. Keep focused on what we need to do on Friday.

Live like KMcK ;-)

Blog: Ipswich Ramblings

Stadium question which should've been asked tonight on 06:11 - Apr 6 with 2576 viewslurcher

Stadium question which should've been asked tonight on 01:01 - Apr 6 by bournemouthblue

Agreed, 45k would be mad, I think 40k is probably possible if we have healthy away allocations

Our record crowd is 38k however when that was set, crowds were then capped to 34k due to crushing in that game

I suspect in our the late 70's, early 80's we would have got more than 38k potentially?

How many did we take to the FA Cup final?

We averaged about 25k in the late 70s and early 80s.
Stadium question which should've been asked tonight on 06:16 - Apr 6 with 2569 viewsKropotkin123

Did anyone ask if McKenna thinks he will be able to handle the pressure of maintaining our European home record in the Champions League?

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

Stadium question which should've been asked tonight on 06:52 - Apr 6 with 2458 viewsChurchman

Stadium question which should've been asked tonight on 23:49 - Apr 5 by TheBoyBlue

It was quite clear from Ashton that they are looking at it further down the line, that they fully understand the problem of age, layout, capacity, usability and that there will be no quick fix.

The ground needs a lot of work, the obvious one being the East Stand. If that was replaced, something done with the two North Stand corners and that took capacity to say 35000 I think that’s more than enough. Goodness knows what the cost would be.

Realistically I can’t see anything major being contemplated, bar tinkering, tidying, improving what there is for some time.
Stadium question which should've been asked tonight on 07:01 - Apr 6 with 2433 viewsSheffordBlue

Stadium question which should've been asked tonight on 06:52 - Apr 6 by Churchman

It was quite clear from Ashton that they are looking at it further down the line, that they fully understand the problem of age, layout, capacity, usability and that there will be no quick fix.

The ground needs a lot of work, the obvious one being the East Stand. If that was replaced, something done with the two North Stand corners and that took capacity to say 35000 I think that’s more than enough. Goodness knows what the cost would be.

Realistically I can’t see anything major being contemplated, bar tinkering, tidying, improving what there is for some time.

From some of his comments about working with the other local stakeholders there does seem to be a bit of a concern that the councils plans for the car park area could end up restricting what we can do - there was a comment about "it's important we don't get hemmed in".

That would seem to be the main driver for doing anything substantial sooner rather than later

Poll: How many points do you think you'll need to get a ticket for Norwich?

Login to get fewer ads

Stadium question which should've been asked tonight on 07:20 - Apr 6 with 2361 viewsChurchman

Stadium question which should've been asked tonight on 07:01 - Apr 6 by SheffordBlue

From some of his comments about working with the other local stakeholders there does seem to be a bit of a concern that the councils plans for the car park area could end up restricting what we can do - there was a comment about "it's important we don't get hemmed in".

That would seem to be the main driver for doing anything substantial sooner rather than later

Well, the stand has to be replaced at some point. It’s very old now, it’s tight and there’s not much space under it.

Sadly, I’m old enough to remember it being built!
Stadium question which should've been asked tonight on 07:21 - Apr 6 with 2361 viewshoppy

Stadium question which should've been asked tonight on 06:52 - Apr 6 by Churchman

Ashton did mention ‘when we pull down/demolish that stand’ a few times… and it was when rather than if.
When it does happen, Portman Road capacity would be vastly reduced for a while… how many does the Cobbold hold? …with 21k season ticket holders and away fans to accommodate whilst any demolition/rebuild is done- would we need to have our home matches at Wembley?!

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Stadium question which should've been asked tonight on 07:34 - Apr 6 with 2300 viewsChurchman

Stadium question which should've been asked tonight on 07:21 - Apr 6 by hoppy

Ashton did mention ‘when we pull down/demolish that stand’ a few times… and it was when rather than if.
When it does happen, Portman Road capacity would be vastly reduced for a while… how many does the Cobbold hold? …with 21k season ticket holders and away fans to accommodate whilst any demolition/rebuild is done- would we need to have our home matches at Wembley?!

We could share with Norwich………… just said that for a laugh.
Stadium question which should've been asked tonight on 07:53 - Apr 6 with 2215 viewsMuncher

I suspect that cap has been implemented in no small part to allow for a full season or more of no fans in the Cobbold stand. Any more than that and there would be season ticket holders unable to attend games which would be carnage.
Stadium question which should've been asked tonight on 08:34 - Apr 6 with 1990 viewshoppy

Stadium question which should've been asked tonight on 07:34 - Apr 6 by Churchman

We could share with Norwich………… just said that for a laugh.

That could attract a few locals too… would be quite interesting for them seeing some decent football being played by the ‘home’ team rather than just going for the opposition.

Stadium question which should've been asked tonight on 08:34 - Apr 6 with 1976 viewshoppy

Stadium question which should've been asked tonight on 07:53 - Apr 6 by Muncher

I suspect that cap has been implemented in no small part to allow for a full season or more of no fans in the Cobbold stand. Any more than that and there would be season ticket holders unable to attend games which would be carnage.

That was my thought too.

Stadium question which should've been asked tonight on 08:37 - Apr 6 with 1960 viewsSomethingBlue

Wouldn't fancy us going above 35k and doubt we ever would realistically. It'd be a good, competitive capacity if we got to the PL, and we also have to remember that only a third of that number (ignoring official figures) were coming through the door at times not that long ago. At some point those darker days will return, much as the good times *may* be on the way back now, so we don't want to overstretch.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Stadium question which should've been asked tonight on 08:40 - Apr 6 with 1916 viewsxrayspecs

Replacing the Cobbold stand is a circa £100m investment and I cannot see this being on our to do list for a number of seasons. The increase from 20k to 21k is more likely a recognition of the stronger than expected new ST sales this week. The window closes next Friday and I suspect there will not be many more on sale once the window reopens.

Reminds me of the 99/00 promotion season. All town fans were saying that you would need a ST to get into PR in the Prem. Capacity was around 22k at the time. I think we sold 18k Sts (which was also capped), there were 2k for away fans and 2k for match day sales, which I think was a ballot of members.
Stadium question which should've been asked tonight on 08:41 - Apr 6 with 1911 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

Stadium question which should've been asked tonight on 08:34 - Apr 6 by hoppy

That could attract a few locals too… would be quite interesting for them seeing some decent football being played by the ‘home’ team rather than just going for the opposition.

I’m not sure we would get on too well with the fingerprint scanners at Carrot Rd - what with lacking the extra digit and all.
Stadium question which should've been asked tonight on 08:59 - Apr 6 with 1787 viewsGuthrum

With Ashton talking about options for a single-tier stand, the pay-off may be that it limits capacity somewhat. Otherwise it gets immensely tall and very steep - even allowing for some expansion across the roadway behind.

Also, I think we should be wary of pushing the boat out too fast. That was one of the things which did for us 20 years ago.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Stadium question which should've been asked tonight on 09:08 - Apr 6 with 1751 viewsMuncher

Stadium question which should've been asked tonight on 08:59 - Apr 6 by Guthrum

With Ashton talking about options for a single-tier stand, the pay-off may be that it limits capacity somewhat. Otherwise it gets immensely tall and very steep - even allowing for some expansion across the roadway behind.

Also, I think we should be wary of pushing the boat out too fast. That was one of the things which did for us 20 years ago.

As long it is funded through equity rather than debt there’s no problem.
Stadium question which should've been asked tonight on 10:27 - Apr 6 with 1530 viewscressi

Stadium question which should've been asked tonight on 07:01 - Apr 6 by SheffordBlue

Although getting the ground up to date would be lovely I think the first thing is to try and get out this poxy league, if we get promoted let's invest in a squad who can compete and win at championship level , every step up we will need better players.
Stadium question which should've been asked tonight on 12:02 - Apr 6 with 1318 viewsVegtablue

Would the investment needed for any of these proposals be recouped in our eventual sale? Because any outlay that increased our capacity would presumably take decades to pay for itself, even if it allowed the club to extract more HT sales etc..

On the capacity number I think our league status is a bit of a red herring. We've done such a good job this past season and a half that I doubt we have multiple thousands waiting for Championship football before they return / become new supporters. PL is a different beast but I'd prefer not to create a load of capacity for tourists who lose interest outside that league, leaving a stadium like Wednesday's where it feels too big for the club.
Stadium question which should've been asked tonight on 12:06 - Apr 6 with 1295 viewsJedmac

The Cobbold used to hold around 7000 many years ago and I doubt it’s changed much. It was bigger than Spurs old West stand but didn’t look it according to football stand expert Simon Inglis.
[Redacted] on 12:13 - Apr 6 with 1275 viewsvictorywilhappen

[Redacted]
Stadium question which should've been asked tonight on 12:36 - Apr 6 with 1169 viewsbournemouthblue

Stadium question which should've been asked tonight on 06:11 - Apr 6 by lurcher

We averaged about 25k in the late 70s and early 80s.

But did have crowds into the 30ks

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Stadium question which should've been asked tonight on 15:59 - Apr 6 with 998 viewsSawtrich

Something to remember is that the population has increased since the last time we had a successful team. A quick search suggests a Suffolk population of around 650,000 in 2000 and around 760,000 now. We've been so beaten down over the years we've forgotten what potential there is here. When Ashton talked of regular 28,000 crowds most of us thought it was too ambitious, but we're doing it in League One.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024