Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Clarke... 13:33 - Jan 25 with 854 viewsFrimleyBlue

A striker turned CB turned into a wingback turned into a Hybrid RCB.

He speaks of in his change in positions within his interview. That's not a bad mix of footballing ability to have when you're playing a roaming defensive role is it.

Can see why we were keen to spend what we did to bring him in.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Clarke... on 13:37 - Jan 25 with 824 viewsclive_baker

I've always thought that experience makes you a better player. At some point you need to carve out your niche to avoid being a jack of all trades and master of none, but some of the best defenders have played as forwards earlier in their careers, generally because they've been the best footballer in the side at a young age and the manager has stuck them up front to score goals. Not so much that you might carry a goal threat, but being comfortable on the ball and knowing how forwards think is only going to help you as a defender.

He's got a bit of the Titus Brambles about him, who made a similar transition by the way.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Clarke... on 13:39 - Jan 25 with 803 viewsMookamoo

Wasn't Jamie Carragher a striker in his youth who then became a CB and eventually ended up a RB?

Clarke also reminds of Osman who could play anywhere you put him.
Clarke... on 13:48 - Jan 25 with 725 viewsclive_baker

Clarke... on 13:39 - Jan 25 by Mookamoo

Wasn't Jamie Carragher a striker in his youth who then became a CB and eventually ended up a RB?

Clarke also reminds of Osman who could play anywhere you put him.

Pique, Ashley Cole, Rio, Carragher. Think Campbell played all over for Spuds Yoof as well, certainly both sides of the back 4 before converting to the centre. You can see how it's perhaps benefitted all of those.

Not suggesting we've got the next Sol Campbell btw, as nice as that would be.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Clarke... on 13:54 - Jan 25 with 691 viewsArnoldMoorhen

Clarke... on 13:37 - Jan 25 by clive_baker

I've always thought that experience makes you a better player. At some point you need to carve out your niche to avoid being a jack of all trades and master of none, but some of the best defenders have played as forwards earlier in their careers, generally because they've been the best footballer in the side at a young age and the manager has stuck them up front to score goals. Not so much that you might carry a goal threat, but being comfortable on the ball and knowing how forwards think is only going to help you as a defender.

He's got a bit of the Titus Brambles about him, who made a similar transition by the way.

He reminded me of Gary Neville. Titus always gave me the impression that his absolutely top level strength and speed were his get out of jail free card, whereas Clarke had a focused intensity. The crunching not even 50-50 was "Yeah, too right I'm going to win this against the odds!" rather than a "Oh Sh1t! I've messed up here! I've GOT to win this!"

And as the game progressed his understanding with Burns grew, in terms of providing an option for him, drawing opposition defenders away, playing quick passes to set Wes free, carrying the ball forward to open up an attack, and, I think a couple of times, overlapping.

One game. A home debut for a local kid. Lots of adrenaline. Too soon to judge.

But he looks to be a proper player who brings out the best in others.
Clarke... on 13:58 - Jan 25 with 673 viewsMookamoo

Clarke... on 13:48 - Jan 25 by clive_baker

Pique, Ashley Cole, Rio, Carragher. Think Campbell played all over for Spuds Yoof as well, certainly both sides of the back 4 before converting to the centre. You can see how it's perhaps benefitted all of those.

Not suggesting we've got the next Sol Campbell btw, as nice as that would be.

Might be the next Adam Webster. We get him for a couple of seasons before he eventually makes his way to the Premier League.

He looked very promising.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024