Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Games at league level being called off 14:56 - Jan 24 with 1659 viewsFrimleyBlue

Apart from fan safety is an issue. Does anyone else feel that at league level at least, there shouldn't ever come a time when games are called off because of Rain/Frost.

Appreciate nature etc. But with the equipment available nowadays, should clubs maybe be forced to put their money behind that as a priority over staffing costs?

As you go through non leagues you have have a certain grading to be able to be in the league above.. I'd perhaps make it a requirement for promotion up the leagues to ensure you had the ability to ensure games are played when due except of course for extreme weather or supporter safety.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Games at league level being called off on 15:01 - Jan 24 with 1600 viewsCraigIT

The top 2 divisions should never be called off. Lower league, It is inevitable they will suffer. That said, Blackpool in the 2nd tier, Have the facilities of a non league club.
Games at league level being called off on 15:06 - Jan 24 with 1555 viewsMetal_Hacker

How do you arrange that with the ever so increasing inclement changes in the weather ?

Not quite sure how you can accommodate a fix for a 100yd x 60yd piece of grass not freezing and being an insurance liability for it' quite expensive employees .Stadia being taken into consideration as well with certain stands half covering half the pitch in some circumstances ala Cheltenham as Chelts made comment on earlier.

That aside your first line "Apart from fan safety is an issue " is never NOT going to be an issue with public liability insurance claims always being a thing

SO in answer to your question /.....no

Poll: If it were one or the other

Games at league level being called off on 15:20 - Jan 24 with 1441 viewsFrimleyBlue

Games at league level being called off on 15:06 - Jan 24 by Metal_Hacker

How do you arrange that with the ever so increasing inclement changes in the weather ?

Not quite sure how you can accommodate a fix for a 100yd x 60yd piece of grass not freezing and being an insurance liability for it' quite expensive employees .Stadia being taken into consideration as well with certain stands half covering half the pitch in some circumstances ala Cheltenham as Chelts made comment on earlier.

That aside your first line "Apart from fan safety is an issue " is never NOT going to be an issue with public liability insurance claims always being a thing

SO in answer to your question /.....no

No I get the fan safety thing. That's always a priority even for the top clubs. Don't think I explained that very well.

But when you've got clubs with full pitch blankets. Lights etc underground heating in others. Updated drainage etc. I'm just surprised it's not a requirement for moving from league 2 to league 1 for example. If you've got all the equipment and you still get a frozen pitch or a waterlogged pitch there isn't much you can do.. but when you see town using a great big air tent then see others with what looks like a germination sheet on others, it's just quite surprising it's never been enforced. ( yet you get forced to build a stand when you don't need it lower down the pyramid)

Waka waka eh eh

Games at league level being called off on 15:34 - Jan 24 with 1323 viewsMetal_Hacker

Games at league level being called off on 15:20 - Jan 24 by FrimleyBlue

No I get the fan safety thing. That's always a priority even for the top clubs. Don't think I explained that very well.

But when you've got clubs with full pitch blankets. Lights etc underground heating in others. Updated drainage etc. I'm just surprised it's not a requirement for moving from league 2 to league 1 for example. If you've got all the equipment and you still get a frozen pitch or a waterlogged pitch there isn't much you can do.. but when you see town using a great big air tent then see others with what looks like a germination sheet on others, it's just quite surprising it's never been enforced. ( yet you get forced to build a stand when you don't need it lower down the pyramid)

The very lower leagues (semi pro etc if not lower) insist on the pitch begin roped off then as you go up the pyramid as you say ,stands then come into play but that's for spectators safety more so than anything else

Inclement weather and safety of spectators are two different things in terms of required and non-required expenditure

If I were the fan of Leyton Orient as an example and was looking at promotion to League One but we lost out due to not having sufficient infrastructure to cope with a bad frost once or twice a season I'd be truly pi55sed off .That's just it , how many games are called off due to bad weather ?

Not worth the argument

Poll: If it were one or the other

Games at league level being called off on 15:38 - Jan 24 with 1302 viewsitfcjoe

Games at league level being called off on 15:20 - Jan 24 by FrimleyBlue

You'd think the EFL could help fund something like a giant air cover like we have for the lower level clubs where underground heating is out of the question.

Some games would still be lost but nowhere near as many as currently are - with climate change that will only get worse and since we've had these covers we've only lost one game which shouldn't have gone anyway, plus the Boro game that was freezing up in match

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Games at league level being called off on 15:49 - Jan 24 with 1217 viewsFrimleyBlue

Games at league level being called off on 15:38 - Jan 24 by itfcjoe

You'd think the EFL could help fund something like a giant air cover like we have for the lower level clubs where underground heating is out of the question.

Some games would still be lost but nowhere near as many as currently are - with climate change that will only get worse and since we've had these covers we've only lost one game which shouldn't have gone anyway, plus the Boro game that was freezing up in match

Absolutely. It's in the interest of the sport to do so. Maybe in the future they might think about it. As you say climate is changing and pitches will need all the help they can get.

Waka waka eh eh

Games at league level being called off on 16:07 - Jan 24 with 1094 viewshomer_123

Need to be a very big cover though.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Games at league level being called off on 16:58 - Jan 24 with 846 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

I could understand it if the EFL fund it, but you can't be asking tiny clubs (who've just lost massive revenues due to Covid) to stump up the bill.

And as Hackers says above, it's not really THAT big of an issue to be financially worth it (yet).

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Login to get fewer ads

Games at league level being called off on 17:49 - Jan 24 with 661 viewsbrazil1982

It's a prohibitive cost at lower level, for the small the number of cancellations a season.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024