Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
approach for tuesday 10:17 - Jan 22 with 1829 viewspositivity

how would you change our approach for tuesday? (or do you think we don't need to?)

i'd revisit the early season idea of starters and finishers, but in a slightly different way, go heavy on the more positive, dynamic players from the start and use players with a bit more control to see the game out.

so for tuesday, i'd bring in clarke for jd, humph for evans, jackson for burns, broadhead for harness and ladapo for hirst.

of course, the downside is if you don't get into a lead, we're more limited to how we can up the game, but there should be enough quality on the bench to provide some different options.

thoughts?

Poll: do you do judo and/or do you do voodoo?

approach for tuesday on 10:40 - Jan 22 with 1773 viewsGuthrum

We just need to do what we're doing a little bit better.

Start with the same personnel, but switch on from the start. Concentrate at all times, both in defence and in front of goal. Put the last month out of mind and believe in our own quality, as if it were the start of a new season.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

approach for tuesday on 10:44 - Jan 22 with 1759 viewspointofblue

Switch to a back three and put two up top.

Walton
Clarke - Woolfenden - Edmundson
Burns - Morsy - Evans - Davis
Chaplin
Ladapo - Broadhead

Substitutes: Hladky, Leigh, Burgess, Luongo, Aluko, Jackson, Hirst

Keep the basic approach the same. Ladapo played his best football at Rotherham in a two, and having more players in and around the box should help him with knockdowns etc perhaps leading to chances we can convert.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

approach for tuesday on 11:00 - Jan 22 with 1717 viewsHighgateBlue

I'm afraid I have no idea. We have four new players, two of whom cost us serious money and one of whom, as a young loan player who's been playing in the championship, would cost a pretty penny to buy, and didn't come here to sit on the bench. From what we've seen so far, I'm assuming Luongo just isn't going to get much game time. But as for the other three, I've got no idea if they're totally up to speed with our unbending system to such an extent that they would be expected to oust the likes of Ladapo, Harness and/or JD.

Given the variables of the new players, and given that I'm not massively familiar with exactly what sort of attacking players Hirst and Broadhead are, I find it hard to say that we should change the system itself.

For my money, we've gone from being very good at most things, whilst not quite good enough in either box, to being a little bit lost and not really which of the many sweets in our sweetshop will solve it. We have a huge squad. I've no idea if that's actually going to help us or not.

I guess trying to cheer myself up I'd say that oxford can be largely written off as a freak set of circumstances (albeit the same for both sides), and that Clarke, Broadhead and Hirst were not brought in to make up the numbers. Maybe Clarke comes in for JD, Hirst and Broadhead both start when they're eventually upto speed, and that means that Harness and Ladapo probably miss out.
approach for tuesday on 11:14 - Jan 22 with 1682 viewstextbackup

we need our defenders to defend better, and our strikers to be able to score from 6/8 yards out.
they are the two issues at present. oh, and our keeper to make an important save

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

approach for tuesday on 11:16 - Jan 22 with 1670 viewsBigCommon

Just seems to be a mentality thing for me.And a rapidly growing, lack of confidence. The system itself, continues to carve out guilt edged chances, that we fail to make count...I wouldn't change too much.Perhaps Clarke in for JD, who looks a bit jaded, imo... Walton and Woolfy need to up it...This may surprise a few, but I thought Ladapo should have started yesterday.
approach for tuesday on 11:28 - Jan 22 with 1637 viewspointofblue

approach for tuesday on 11:14 - Jan 22 by textbackup

we need our defenders to defend better, and our strikers to be able to score from 6/8 yards out.
they are the two issues at present. oh, and our keeper to make an important save

And our midfield to be able to support the defence better, which is what I think was happening last year and isn’t now. We’ve conceded nine in the last nine. Both Portsmouth goals (Morsy giving away a free kick - albeit harshly - and Burns failing to stop a cross) and Wycombe/Plymouth’s (Humphreys being easily outmuscled) came from issues further up the pitch.

Then, with Fleetwood, we fell asleep from a throw in and, against Peterborough, I will be charitable and say a lack of cap resulted in Walton losing the flight of the ball.

So, over the last nine league games, that’s seven from ten - apologies, I said nine elsewhere - where I don’t think the blame can be laid, at least purely, at the defence’s door. With Oxford’s second, we should have closed the man down quicker but in the fog did we even know where the ball was? Oxford’s first was certainly a collective failure initiated by Woolfenden. That leaves the Cheltenham goal, which I can barely remember. Too much room given on the right?

approach for tuesday on 11:31 - Jan 22 with 1628 viewspositivity

approach for tuesday on 11:00 - Jan 22 by HighgateBlue

I'm afraid I have no idea. We have four new players, two of whom cost us serious money and one of whom, as a young loan player who's been playing in the championship, would cost a pretty penny to buy, and didn't come here to sit on the bench. From what we've seen so far, I'm assuming Luongo just isn't going to get much game time. But as for the other three, I've got no idea if they're totally up to speed with our unbending system to such an extent that they would be expected to oust the likes of Ladapo, Harness and/or JD.

Given the variables of the new players, and given that I'm not massively familiar with exactly what sort of attacking players Hirst and Broadhead are, I find it hard to say that we should change the system itself.

For my money, we've gone from being very good at most things, whilst not quite good enough in either box, to being a little bit lost and not really which of the many sweets in our sweetshop will solve it. We have a huge squad. I've no idea if that's actually going to help us or not.

I guess trying to cheer myself up I'd say that oxford can be largely written off as a freak set of circumstances (albeit the same for both sides), and that Clarke, Broadhead and Hirst were not brought in to make up the numbers. Maybe Clarke comes in for JD, Hirst and Broadhead both start when they're eventually upto speed, and that means that Harness and Ladapo probably miss out.

i think it's a bit unfair to call it an unbending system, it's definitely evolving from the novel lop-sided back 3 at the start to a more conventional back 4.

otherwise, fair points, i'd have also been tempted to start with ladapo, but he always seems to do much better at home, so this was probably the best time to get hirst a start.

Poll: do you do judo and/or do you do voodoo?

approach for tuesday on 11:34 - Jan 22 with 1629 viewsSomethingBlue

Our approach is fine. But a few tweaks would be appropriate. Probably a debut for Clarke, I'd quite fancy Aluko's intelligence & drifting against a Morecambe team that'd be thrilled with a point, maybe Ladapo back in as you say. Edmundson should really be in Burgess's place if he is fit. Edwards on the bench in case we need an X factor.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Login to get fewer ads

approach for tuesday on 11:36 - Jan 22 with 1610 viewspointofblue

approach for tuesday on 11:34 - Jan 22 by SomethingBlue

Our approach is fine. But a few tweaks would be appropriate. Probably a debut for Clarke, I'd quite fancy Aluko's intelligence & drifting against a Morecambe team that'd be thrilled with a point, maybe Ladapo back in as you say. Edmundson should really be in Burgess's place if he is fit. Edwards on the bench in case we need an X factor.

I came so close to putting Aluko in the XI I named above but thought he’d be more useful coming on in the second half as a sub, rather than going off at that point.

approach for tuesday on 11:38 - Jan 22 with 1598 viewsbraveblue

Keep the system. It has worked well. KM is new to management and may take another season. But stick with it.
Play Hirst up front. Easily a much better first touch. Broadhead for Harness and Clarke and Edmonson for Donacian and Burgess.
approach for tuesday on 11:58 - Jan 22 with 1518 viewstextbackup

approach for tuesday on 11:28 - Jan 22 by pointofblue

And our midfield to be able to support the defence better, which is what I think was happening last year and isn’t now. We’ve conceded nine in the last nine. Both Portsmouth goals (Morsy giving away a free kick - albeit harshly - and Burns failing to stop a cross) and Wycombe/Plymouth’s (Humphreys being easily outmuscled) came from issues further up the pitch.

Then, with Fleetwood, we fell asleep from a throw in and, against Peterborough, I will be charitable and say a lack of cap resulted in Walton losing the flight of the ball.

So, over the last nine league games, that’s seven from ten - apologies, I said nine elsewhere - where I don’t think the blame can be laid, at least purely, at the defence’s door. With Oxford’s second, we should have closed the man down quicker but in the fog did we even know where the ball was? Oxford’s first was certainly a collective failure initiated by Woolfenden. That leaves the Cheltenham goal, which I can barely remember. Too much room given on the right?

on another thread i said we need to change our style a bit to become a more defensively solid unit.... but i was told i was wrong, obviously.

but as you've highlighted theres so many issues where we could do with a "back to basics" for a bit. so maybe i wasnt completely miles off with my thinking

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

approach for tuesday on 12:04 - Jan 22 with 1492 viewspointofblue

approach for tuesday on 11:58 - Jan 22 by textbackup

on another thread i said we need to change our style a bit to become a more defensively solid unit.... but i was told i was wrong, obviously.

but as you've highlighted theres so many issues where we could do with a "back to basics" for a bit. so maybe i wasnt completely miles off with my thinking

I think we should expect more from the middle of the pitch without really changing our style as such. A lot of what I mentioned in the previous post is down to personal error rather than tactical approach; we seem to be punished more than most when we make those mistakes. Take yesterday - there would have been an inquest by Oxford had Burns took his early opportunity. We let them off the hook, they score.

For me, we need the whole team to sharpen up - to hold the ball up better in attack, to close down players and stop them playing through the lines and blocking crosses in midfield, and be stronger with long balls at the back. Closing down more effectively to stop long shots is a given too.

I do think a switch to a back three would help with the above, so it will be interesting to see what McKenna does on Tuesday.

approach for tuesday on 12:05 - Jan 22 with 1487 viewschicoazul

Got to look at changes all over now.

I’d go
Walton

Clarke
Woolf
Fridge
Leigh as in hindsight Davis should get a rest/break

Humph
Luongo as Evans form has collapsed
Morsy

Chaplin
Broadhead
Hirst
[Post edited 22 Jan 2023 12:44]

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

approach for tuesday on 12:10 - Jan 22 with 1458 viewspointofblue

approach for tuesday on 12:05 - Jan 22 by chicoazul

Got to look at changes all over now.

I’d go
Walton

Clarke
Woolf
Fridge
Leigh as in hindsight Davis should get a rest/break

Humph
Luongo as Evans form has collapsed
Morsy

Chaplin
Broadhead
Hirst
[Post edited 22 Jan 2023 12:44]

Please not Woolfenden and Edmundson together in a back four. I swear Edmundson’s form started to fall away when we switched to that from a back three.

Humphreys has scored a couple but been at fault for a couple of vital goals too. We’ve brought Luongo in for a reason.

Think I’d prefer Burns on the right in that formation.

approach for tuesday on 12:12 - Jan 22 with 1434 viewschicoazul

approach for tuesday on 12:10 - Jan 22 by pointofblue

Please not Woolfenden and Edmundson together in a back four. I swear Edmundson’s form started to fall away when we switched to that from a back three.

Humphreys has scored a couple but been at fault for a couple of vital goals too. We’ve brought Luongo in for a reason.

Think I’d prefer Burns on the right in that formation.

Do take your point but change is needed and if Fridge is in there then Clarke acts as a sort of supplementary centre half as by all informed accounts he’s great in both roles, rapid and physical.
I know why you mean about Burns but Chaplin has more goals in him.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!

approach for tuesday on 12:21 - Jan 22 with 1411 viewspointofblue

approach for tuesday on 12:12 - Jan 22 by chicoazul

Do take your point but change is needed and if Fridge is in there then Clarke acts as a sort of supplementary centre half as by all informed accounts he’s great in both roles, rapid and physical.
I know why you mean about Burns but Chaplin has more goals in him.

Agree change is needed - just would prefer Woolfenden and Edmundson to be supplemented in a back three, rather than as a pairing.

I think Burns and Chaplin have been our most reliable scorers of late?

approach for tuesday on 12:41 - Jan 22 with 1355 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

approach for tuesday on 11:38 - Jan 22 by braveblue

Keep the system. It has worked well. KM is new to management and may take another season. But stick with it.
Play Hirst up front. Easily a much better first touch. Broadhead for Harness and Clarke and Edmonson for Donacian and Burgess.

I dont buy the 'new to management' narrative.

Hes been a coach for 14 years, and been an assistant manager at a huge club.

Lets not make this the new 'the team needs time to gel'.

I think KM is doing a decent enough job. But lets remember he has FAR more resources than ANY other team in the league, on and off the pitch.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

approach for tuesday on 12:43 - Jan 22 with 1327 viewschicoazul

approach for tuesday on 12:21 - Jan 22 by pointofblue

Agree change is needed - just would prefer Woolfenden and Edmundson to be supplemented in a back three, rather than as a pairing.

I think Burns and Chaplin have been our most reliable scorers of late?

Oh yes absolutely but I think Chaplin gives us an X factor that Burns doesn’t.

approach for tuesday on 19:26 - Jan 22 with 1051 viewsAndrewRatcliffITFC

approach for tuesday on 10:44 - Jan 22 by pointofblue

Switch to a back three and put two up top.

Walton
Clarke - Woolfenden - Edmundson
Burns - Morsy - Evans - Davis
Chaplin
Ladapo - Broadhead

Substitutes: Hladky, Leigh, Burgess, Luongo, Aluko, Jackson, Hirst

Keep the basic approach the same. Ladapo played his best football at Rotherham in a two, and having more players in and around the box should help him with knockdowns etc perhaps leading to chances we can convert.

Keeping the approach the same and having two up top is not possible. Having two up top would involve a change of approach.
approach for tuesday on 19:32 - Jan 22 with 1045 viewsDyland

approach for tuesday on 12:41 - Jan 22 by Marshalls_Mullet

I dont buy the 'new to management' narrative.

Hes been a coach for 14 years, and been an assistant manager at a huge club.

Lets not make this the new 'the team needs time to gel'.

I think KM is doing a decent enough job. But lets remember he has FAR more resources than ANY other team in the league, on and off the pitch.

"I dont buy the 'new to management' narrative."

Okay don't then. But he is. Massive difference between coaching and even assistant management to being the main man.

"Lets not make this the new 'the team needs time to gel'. "

That wasn't said.
[Post edited 22 Jan 2023 19:38]

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

approach for tuesday on 19:33 - Jan 22 with 1036 viewsibbleobble

Shoot from distance. That’s it.
approach for tuesday on 19:36 - Jan 22 with 1025 viewsjas0999

Put simply, we just need to put the ball in the net. Loads of chances, poor finishing recently.

A comfortable win is what we need.
approach for tuesday on 20:17 - Jan 22 with 945 viewsParky

Play Edmundson and Clarke.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024