Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Connor Wickham leaves FGR as contract expires 11:49 - Jan 3 with 9044 viewsitfcjoe

Must have a deal lined up elsewhere - but where?!

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Connor Wickham leaves FGR as contract expires on 11:54 - Jan 3 with 5371 viewsChondzoresk

With any luck, not here.
Connor Wickham leaves FGR as contract expires on 12:05 - Jan 3 with 5243 viewsitfcjoe

Connor Wickham leaves FGR as contract expires on 11:54 - Jan 3 by Chondzoresk

With any luck, not here.

Spoke to an FGR fan and he said he's been excellent - lacks mobility so can't press well but his hold up play is fantastic and he is razor sharp in the box.

With the way we play, and the amount of the ball we have - holding it up well and finishing well could be a great fit

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Connor Wickham leaves FGR as contract expires on 12:07 - Jan 3 with 5185 viewsiamipswich

Connor Wickham leaves FGR as contract expires on 12:05 - Jan 3 by itfcjoe

Spoke to an FGR fan and he said he's been excellent - lacks mobility so can't press well but his hold up play is fantastic and he is razor sharp in the box.

With the way we play, and the amount of the ball we have - holding it up well and finishing well could be a great fit

In theory, 'holding up well and finishing well' should be Ladapo down to the ground. I've largely liked what I've seen from FL but he is undeniably wasteful. Think I would rather Clarke-Harris but he'll cost a bit.

Poll: Who will return first?

Connor Wickham leaves FGR as contract expires on 12:09 - Jan 3 with 5151 viewsportmanking

I agree. I'd actually take him on a 6-month deal with a 12-month option. So long as the 2x tens and full backs behind him can press high there's no reason for his lack of mobility to be an issue.

He's played 16 league games which is one of his most consistent runs for some time now. We really do need a number 9 that takes care of the ball. It really is the bread and butter of this system. Ladapo's just far too unreliable in that regard (which begs the question why he was a target in the first place) and don't get me started on Jackson.

One could look at Wickham as a cheaper yet more experienced alternative to George Hirst?
Connor Wickham leaves FGR as contract expires on 12:11 - Jan 3 with 5093 viewsportmanking

Connor Wickham leaves FGR as contract expires on 12:07 - Jan 3 by iamipswich

In theory, 'holding up well and finishing well' should be Ladapo down to the ground. I've largely liked what I've seen from FL but he is undeniably wasteful. Think I would rather Clarke-Harris but he'll cost a bit.

I don't think holding up well and finishing well is Ladapo's game in the slightest. For me, Ladapo is a channel player, pure and simple. He's much better suited to teams that play a bit more direct and stretch teams on the counter. I'm not really sure why we got him. His goal return is fair considering his attributes don't marry with our style, but we NEED a better fit in January if we're to maintain our start.
Connor Wickham leaves FGR as contract expires on 12:16 - Jan 3 with 4973 viewsJammyDodgerrr

Probably no reason to not sign him - stayed fit and offers a different option plus scored quite a few in a terrible team. Let's get it done.

Poll: How many Loanees would you like in the team next season?
Blog: [Blog] What Happened to Our Star Number Nine?

Connor Wickham leaves FGR as contract expires on 12:18 - Jan 3 with 4925 viewsSkip_Intro

I think one of the concerns is not having a striker in the right place at the right time to finish off the chancesthat we create/get on the end of crosses - also Ladapo struggles to hold the ball up and distribute it well...the more I think about it the more I like the idea of a 6 month deal...wouldn't cost much I'm sure
Connor Wickham leaves FGR as contract expires on 12:29 - Jan 3 with 4767 viewsLord_Lucan

Connor Wickham leaves FGR as contract expires on 12:09 - Jan 3 by portmanking

I agree. I'd actually take him on a 6-month deal with a 12-month option. So long as the 2x tens and full backs behind him can press high there's no reason for his lack of mobility to be an issue.

He's played 16 league games which is one of his most consistent runs for some time now. We really do need a number 9 that takes care of the ball. It really is the bread and butter of this system. Ladapo's just far too unreliable in that regard (which begs the question why he was a target in the first place) and don't get me started on Jackson.

One could look at Wickham as a cheaper yet more experienced alternative to George Hirst?

I agree x 3

In this division we need a Motherfecker more than a Fox in the Box........and despite umpteen passes we don't seem to be able to regularly reach the fox anyway.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Login to get fewer ads

Connor Wickham leaves FGR as contract expires on 12:31 - Jan 3 with 4719 viewsPrideOfTheEast

Connor Wickham leaves FGR as contract expires on 12:07 - Jan 3 by iamipswich

Wickham is, from a technical perspective, on a different level to FL. Seems an obvious, affordable option to supplement the squad to the end of the season.
Connor Wickham leaves FGR as contract expires on 12:51 - Jan 3 with 4477 viewsIllinoisblue

Connor Wickham leaves FGR as contract expires on 12:29 - Jan 3 by Lord_Lucan

I agree x 3

In this division we need a Motherfecker more than a Fox in the Box........and despite umpteen passes we don't seem to be able to regularly reach the fox anyway.

Oh for a Shefki Kuqi.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Connor Wickham leaves FGR as contract expires on 12:55 - Jan 3 with 4336 viewsFrimleyBlue

Genuine question.

Did we let norwood go because of footballing reasons or for money & attitude reasons? As i can't see with Wickhams lack of mobility now.. how he's different to what KM allowed to leave..

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Connor Wickham leaves FGR as contract expires on 13:00 - Jan 3 with 4255 viewsLord_Lucan

Connor Wickham leaves FGR as contract expires on 12:55 - Jan 3 by FrimleyBlue

Genuine question.

Did we let norwood go because of footballing reasons or for money & attitude reasons? As i can't see with Wickhams lack of mobility now.. how he's different to what KM allowed to leave..

I can't see the slightest footballing similarity between Wickham and Norwood.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.

Connor Wickham leaves FGR as contract expires on 13:02 - Jan 3 with 4211 viewsChondzoresk

Since 2020 he has missed 48 games through injury. (Palace and Preston). Not sure if he was ever injured while at FGR. I don’t doubt his talent, but he’s almost 30 and probably prone to even more injuries. In true Ipswich style something would happen to him first match.
Connor Wickham leaves FGR as contract expires on 13:04 - Jan 3 with 4115 viewssouthnorfolkblue

Genuine question.

You’re talking different levels Frimmers. Norwood has never played anywhere near the level Wickham is capable of

Poll: Our final position

Connor Wickham leaves FGR as contract expires on 13:07 - Jan 3 with 4058 viewsWestcountryblue

Wickham would be a low risk punt and certainly give us something different. When teams drop deep, his intelligent movement around the box and ability in the air could be invaluable. Also very good with his back to goal, helping the likes of Chaplin.
Connor Wickham leaves FGR as contract expires on 13:07 - Jan 3 with 4057 viewsbilllm

Connor Wickham leaves FGR as contract expires on 13:02 - Jan 3 by Chondzoresk

Since 2020 he has missed 48 games through injury. (Palace and Preston). Not sure if he was ever injured while at FGR. I don’t doubt his talent, but he’s almost 30 and probably prone to even more injuries. In true Ipswich style something would happen to him first match.

Unless there's two strikers coming and he's the only one expect to slip down the playoffs rapidly,
Connor Wickham leaves FGR as contract expires on 13:07 - Jan 3 with 4062 viewsLord_Lucan

Connor Wickham leaves FGR as contract expires on 13:04 - Jan 3 by southnorfolkblue

You’re talking different levels Frimmers. Norwood has never played anywhere near the level Wickham is capable of

He's also older and half a foot smaller - and certainly was never good enough for Premier League football.

I don't see any similarity whatsoever.

Connor Wickham leaves FGR as contract expires on 13:07 - Jan 3 with 4044 viewsFrimleyBlue

Connor Wickham leaves FGR as contract expires on 13:00 - Jan 3 by Lord_Lucan

I can't see the slightest footballing similarity between Wickham and Norwood.

Original Wickham was a different player to the one that exists now imo. Hence the question.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Connor Wickham leaves FGR as contract expires on 13:07 - Jan 3 with 4047 viewstractorboy1978

It'd be a risk as our only option given his injury record, but him + 1 other would be great. I'd assume he was on a pittance at FGR so would be pretty inexpensive. If he is fit he is comfortably still a decent Championship striker.
Connor Wickham leaves FGR as contract expires on 13:09 - Jan 3 with 3981 viewsSharkey

Connor Wickham leaves FGR as contract expires on 13:07 - Jan 3 by tractorboy1978

It'd be a risk as our only option given his injury record, but him + 1 other would be great. I'd assume he was on a pittance at FGR so would be pretty inexpensive. If he is fit he is comfortably still a decent Championship striker.

I doubt he's on a 'pittance' - but surely the bidding won't be against FGR anyway.
Connor Wickham leaves FGR as contract expires on 13:11 - Jan 3 with 3923 viewsAsa

I'd be more than happy to take him on a 6 month deal as long as we still brought in the striker that we really want and see firing us to promotion.

Let that player, Ladapo and Wickham provide the options needed to succeed across different games and oppositions and if Wickham gets injured, as there has to be a significant risk of, we still have a new, main threat.

For the same reason I'd take Bonne instead of Wickham plus the main man.
Connor Wickham leaves FGR as contract expires on 13:17 - Jan 3 with 3812 viewsringwoodblue

I don’t know how Connor feels about Ipswich and whether he would entertain a return even if we wanted him back.

I see him as a stop-gap option and not one that would be for the long-term improvement of the squad which is what I would favour.

Poll: How do you feel about the EADT digital subscription?

Connor Wickham leaves FGR as contract expires on 13:24 - Jan 3 with 3678 viewstractorboy1978

Connor Wickham leaves FGR as contract expires on 13:09 - Jan 3 by Sharkey

I doubt he's on a 'pittance' - but surely the bidding won't be against FGR anyway.

He wouldn't have been on more than a couple of grand a week at FGR, probably less. Agree it wouldn't be bidding against them but I doubt he's done enough to get a Championship move. Or if he has, it wouldn't be on more than a short term deal/pay as you play.
Connor Wickham leaves FGR as contract expires on 13:26 - Jan 3 with 3656 viewsBigCommon

Don't think he set the world on fire at MKD last season under Manning.Who, arguably, played a similar style to ours.
Also, with us having signed one or two "crocks" in the Summer. Should we be gambling on a player with a history of injuries?
Some will say he's played half a season injury free. Some will say he's due one?
I'm on the fence. We definitely need a striker reinforcement/option. I'd have him down as an end of window possible, rather than a must sign.
Connor Wickham leaves FGR as contract expires on 13:33 - Jan 3 with 3531 viewsReusersTown

Genuine question.

How about all of the above!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024